14 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
toontown
February 24, 2024, 9:45am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
I am a critic of Artell and want him gone, I thought he's had a couple of really dreadful interviews that show he's surely on his last legs as manager. However that BBC one was better in my opinion. Gave a reasonable and valid explanation as to the Hunt loan, even if I do think it's a big short term risk given our precarious position and potential need for him to change things up.

Also said Thompson absence was just a niggle, not sure I believe him but hopefully means even if it was a disagreement they have made up, we'rr surely gonna need him, so that's a relief.

As for the data thing he gave a better explanation of his thinking than previously, not a high bar but he still came across better imo. I'd like to know what he means by 'the data' shows us as improving. Yes he referred to xg but what else? If it's possession and number of passes then possession between GK and CB or passes between CBs are irrelevant for winning matches but would contribute to a misleading 'improvement' in stats.

Our xg might be improving but what about the issue with teams actual goals against us going up when their xg is low?

So although he sounded fine to me in his arguments I'd like to be able to interrogate him more on his analysis of the data, which obviously you can't do unless your on the board, but the interview was fine on the surface.

I think we've got him as manager for at least 2 more games barring a heavy defeat today, and even that might not do for him, would possibly depends on FG and Sutton results.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 134
HerveJosse
February 24, 2024, 10:10am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Judging improvement based on XG rather then actual goals ls like determining election results by opinion polls rather then actual votes .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 134
GollyGTFC
February 24, 2024, 10:12am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,959
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from toontown
I am a critic of Artell and want him gone, I thought he's had a couple of really dreadful interviews that show he's surely on his last legs as manager. However that BBC one was better in my opinion. Gave a reasonable and valid explanation as to the Hunt loan, even if I do think it's a big short term risk given our precarious position and potential need for him to change things up.

Also said Thompson absence was just a niggle, not sure I believe him but hopefully means even if it was a disagreement they have made up, we'rr surely gonna need him, so that's a relief.

As for the data thing he gave a better explanation of his thinking than previously, not a high bar but he still came across better imo. I'd like to know what he means by 'the data' shows us as improving. Yes he referred to xg but what else? If it's possession and number of passes then possession between GK and CB or passes between CBs are irrelevant for winning matches but would contribute to a misleading 'improvement' in stats.

Our xg might be improving but what about the issue with teams actual goals against us going up when their xg is low?

So although he sounded fine to me in his arguments I'd like to be able to interrogate him more on his analysis of the data, which obviously you can't do unless your on the board, but the interview was fine on the surface.

I think we've got him as manager for at least 2 more games barring a heavy defeat today, and even that might not do for him, would possibly depends on FG and Sutton results.

If you're 2/3-0 down at home after 8/14/28 minutes all subsequent data from the match is pointless. The opposition are in game management mode and keeping it tight. DA is clutching at straws if he thinks anyone cares how the stats look good when the game is already lost.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 122 - 134
GollyGTFC
February 24, 2024, 10:15am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,959
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from HerveJosse
Judging improvement based on XG rather then actual goals ls like determining election results by opinion polls rather then actual votes .

Yeah. The only stats that ultimately matter are goals scored and goals conceded. If you get both of them right then other important stats (wins, league points, goal difference, clean sheets) take care of themselves.

xG is a stat quoted by losers.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 123 - 134
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 24, 2024, 11:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,844
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from CSLM

The odds on our games are often strange. The bookies seem to think we are better than we are. At home we are normally evens or odds on and away there isn't normally much in ot unless we are playing one of the big boys.

If you had bet against us every week you surely would've made a decent profit. I think Doncaster were 11/4. Jesus then there was Tranmere, Walsall, Colchester, Crawley, probably more.

Tranmere and Colchester are both 15/8 to each win at forest green and Sutton respectively. So somewhere around a 7/1 double which isn’t a bad bet. Although I guess anything can happen where form goes out the window.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 134
toontown
February 24, 2024, 11:20am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from GollyGTFC

If you're 2/3-0 down at home after 8/14/28 minutes all subsequent data from the match is pointless. The opposition are in game management mode and keeping it tight. DA is clutching at straws if he thinks anyone cares how the stats look good when the game is already lost.

Yeah that's probably a fair point.

JS at the away game, do they go to every away game? Could that be a sign this is Artell's equivalent of Doncaster away - lose and your out?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 134
pen penfras
February 24, 2024, 11:40am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from toontown

Yeah that's probably a fair point.

JS at the away game, do they go to every away game? Could that be a sign this is Artell's equivalent of Doncaster away - lose and your out?

They don't even go to every home game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 134
CSLM
February 24, 2024, 12:07pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Tranmere and Colchester are both 15/8 to each win at forest green and Sutton respectively. So somewhere around a 7/1 double which isn’t a bad bet. Although I guess anything can happen where form goes out the window.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if we all lost again though Sutton and Forest green haven't looked completely shite recently.

I was talking about all the games we have lost at home. The away team has been 2,3 or even 4 to 1 for most of them. Can't remember what Stockport were, I'm thinking only just odds on but can't remember. That was a bloody good bet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 134
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 24, 2024, 12:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,844
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from CSLM

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if we all lost again though Sutton and Forest green haven't looked completely shite recently.

I was talking about all the games we have lost at home. The away team has been 2,3 or even 4 to 1 for most of them. Can't remember what Stockport were, I'm thinking only just odds on but can't remember. That was a bloody good bet.

Stockport I think we’re 11/10. Donny we’re 11/4

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 134
CSLM
February 24, 2024, 12:47pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
Just listened to the humberside one. I think I'm in the minority but I like his interviews, really tries to answer the questions. He does contradict himself a bit with the stats and then saying that you can make data say anything but overall I thought it was a decent interview.

Don't know why but it made me think if only we had Ryan Bennett sorting the defence out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 134
14 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Pre Match Interview

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.