arryarryarry
February 23, 2024, 12:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from drbell
If anyone on this forum were the manager right now, of a team low on confidence, in need of results, knowing the players you have are the only ones you can work with, so you need to motivate them, help them believe they are good enough and success is quite possible, even probable, with hard work, what would you say?

Regardless of whether DA will or won't have success, I simply don't understand what people want him to say that's different that will actually help the team succeed (which is far more important than saying anything us fans might want to hear, or believe is the reality).

He's saying what the players need to hear him say.

I wouldn't expect a manager to try and bullshit the fans.

It's obvious we are playing crap, everyone can see that, all he has to say is we understand where we are and we will try to improve.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 134
Balthazar Bullitt
February 23, 2024, 12:58pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
It’s ok though because our ‘expected goals’ position has gone up to 11th! Can’t quite see where this is reflected on our league table stats but surely this will be vital come the end of the season?…

I think he has a point. If we actually increase the amount of our XG being converted into goals whilst simultaneously reducing the oppositions converted XG conversions we will start to win games. Sadly missing from the conversation is the average distance our players are from the opposition when they're in our penalty area - if we can reduce this by a factor of around 1000 then we might be alright. In order to achieve this we're going to need to do some coaching though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 134
Mariner_501
February 23, 2024, 1:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +227
Gold Stars: 27
Artell says the data shows we are improving so it’s fine that we lost 4-1 to a the 20th best team at home
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 134
HerveJosse
February 23, 2024, 1:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
It’s not our XG that’s the problem it’s the fact that the opposition only have to cross the halfway line a few times to waltz through our midfield and defence and score . Dont know what the data abbreviation is for that. GM Gone Missing?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 134
gytone
February 23, 2024, 1:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,023
Gold Stars: 8
Aren't Humberside allowed interviews anymore ? They might have asked more pertinent questions.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 134
jimgtfc
February 23, 2024, 1:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,086
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Mariner_501
Artell says the data shows we are improving so it’s fine that we lost 4-1 to a the 20th best team at home

5-1 wasn’t it? Yep worse than you thought

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 134
GrimPol
February 23, 2024, 1:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -670
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from heppy88
Thanks, davmariner. Any chance you could DM me with a quick tutorial. As I've tried following the instructions that have been put on, but I only get a load of text and no video?

We could all have a tutorial I've given up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 134
ex-merseymariner
February 23, 2024, 1:28pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Balthazar Bullitt

I think he has a point. If we actually increase the amount of our XG being converted into goals whilst simultaneously reducing the oppositions converted XG conversions we will start to win games. Sadly missing from the conversation is the average distance our players are from the opposition when they're in our penalty area - if we can reduce this by a factor of around 1000 then we might be alright. In order to achieve this we're going to need to do some coaching though.

There were plenty of players back for the 3rd goal last week, its just one stopped running leaving our left back outnumbered 2 to 1 and Artell hasn't addressed basic poor defending like that.  

So odd that our captain defends from the front but other attacking players don't.  But if they can get away with it.... let's see if this changes Saturday.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 134
GrimRob
February 23, 2024, 1:30pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Balthazar Bullitt

xG only tells half the story though. Take the Stockport game, they scored 3 goals and were coasting. We pulled one back and then they shut up shop, took off forwards and made defensive substitutions. They were more interested in securing 3 points. Had they wanted to they could have scored more goals. Even if you look at the xG of both sides it gives a false impression.

He has a point to some extent in last week's game because Doncaster scored with almost every chance they had and we missed two chances at the end of the first half and one in the second, but again data doesn't tell you about the body language of the players.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 134
Tommy
February 23, 2024, 1:30pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Don't see a lot wrong with the interview personally.

What can he really come out and say? "Yeah the players have been rubbish lately, we're in real trouble and need to be loads better" ??? Of course he's not going to come out and say that.

He's got to put some sort of positive spin on it, definitely to the players which is why he explained how he'd shown some performance stats to the players to try and raise morale a bit by showing them some bits they've done well.

Managers don't always tell the truth in interviews or say the same as what they say behind closed doors to the squad. PH got hammered for always being too negative in interviews, and Artell gets hammered for being too positive.

This is not a post in defence of Artell, I'd have had his P45 ready by Last Sunday morning by the way. But I think the desperation for him to be sacked can lead to some nit-picking just to get some extra criticism in. This sounded like a run-of-the-mill pre-match interview of a struggling team I thought.

I absolutely am worried about the next 2 games and where we could be after them. But I'm not particularly worried about what DA says in these mandatory interviews.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 134
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Pre Match Interview

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.