Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Support our players taking the knee?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

Do you support Grimsby players 'taking the knee'?
Yes
No
  View Results 195 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Support our players taking the knee?

This thread currently has 26,747 views. Print
25 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
TAGG
December 7, 2020, 8:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 126

So to make your opinion known you will exercise your right to demonstrate in a peaceful manner and in return you will expect your protest to be noted and that you won't be persecuted for expressing your right of free speech.

Fancy that.......

Yes thats correct
BLM have there views, I don't agree with them but they have every right to air those views as have I.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 242
Stadium
December 7, 2020, 8:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Millwall statement.

Tweet 1336041355206930432 will appear here...

QPR have informed Millwall that a selection of their players wish to take the knee as a way of showing their support for anti-discrimination efforts – a gesture which the club respects and it firmly asks all those in attendance to do likewise

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 242
gtfc98
December 7, 2020, 9:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 68
You’re completely right. There’s far more racism in football than what sky sports portray. You’re either anti racist, or racist. Pick your side.

Quoted from fishboyUTM

Simply trying to guage the support for taking a knee via an easy to view poll. As I don't believe it's a cut and dried as media outlets like Sky Sports News / TalkSport will have you believe.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 242
Eastendmariner
December 7, 2020, 10:11pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
I'm happy for the players to take the knee if they want to It's a choice

People need to look at  the origins of BLM and realise why it was formed to bring attention to the police in USA murdering black people which is still happening now and been condoned by the Tyrant that is Trump.

Would any of you like to be abused mentally and physically at work every week like the black players of the 70-80"s remember the Story of John Barnes returning from Brazil in 84 returning on the plane to be told by some scumbag racist his Goal didn't count because he was black and not English.

The bended knee is a new form of expression that racism still exists may be a new form of expression is needed and taking the knee should stop not because it's wrong but because it's served it's purpose

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 242
EY Mariner
December 7, 2020, 10:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
To deal with the poll question first, I would wholeheartedly support our players in taking the knee and, frankly, I am dismayed that so many respondents apparently do not share that view. But it seems to me that there are two issues which have made the gesture far more controversial than it ever needed to be.

The first, and most fundamental, is the central message of the Black Lives Matter movement and the willingness of its detractors to either ignore or distort it. We should remember the horrific death in the United States that was the catalyst for the movement in the first place and reflect too on cases in our own country where people have unnecessarily suffered because of their skin colour. To say that "all lives matter" is to miss the point. They should, of course, but history tells us that black lives have not mattered as much as others and, whether we want to acknowledge it or not, that remains an issue today.

Nor should we be distracted by the arguments of those who claim they oppose Black Lives Matter on political grounds. It is not a political stance to believe that people should be treated equally regardless of the colour of their skin. We ought to be able to disagree with ideas expressed or actions carried out in its name, without opposing the core message. But to boo the gesture or to say one opposes the movement on the basis of one's own perception of its politics risks an implied endorsement of racism and we should all reflect on that.

The second issue is the length of time over which sportspeople have been taking the knee and the question of whether the message has been blunted in that period. After reading Les Ferdinand's views on the subject in particular, I did wonder whether it had run its course. But, last Saturday, I attended the Portsmouth v King's Lynn FA Cup tie for work and saw the two teams take the knee before kickoff. It was the first time I had seen it in person, rather than on television, and it made me think about the issue in a way that I probably hadn't done since I first saw it after the Premier League's resumption. That experience, together with the weekend's events, leads me to the conclusion that the message needs to be reinforced. If our players can make even a small contribution to that, then I, for one, would applaud them for doing so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 242
Ipswin
December 7, 2020, 10:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from rancido

You lost all credibility when you said "daft bint". Nothing to do with irony but you condemn racism by using a sexist remark.

Oh for felicitations sake If you can't get him as a racist you'll get him for being sexist!

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 242
Ipswin
December 7, 2020, 10:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from psgmariner
For those who think town players should continue taking the knee when do you think the right time for them to stop will be?

When those who want to stop can do so without incurring the displeasure of those team mates who want to continue and won't be afraid of being pilloried because they have stopped.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 242
TAGG
December 7, 2020, 10:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,941
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from EY Mariner
To deal with the poll question first, I would wholeheartedly support our players in taking the knee and, frankly, I am dismayed that so many respondents apparently do not share that view. But it seems to me that there are two issues which have made the gesture far more controversial than it ever needed to be.

The first, and most fundamental, is the central message of the Black Lives Matter movement and the willingness of its detractors to either ignore or distort it. We should remember the horrific death in the United States that was the catalyst for the movement in the first place and reflect too on cases in our own country where people have unnecessarily suffered because of their skin colour. To say that "all lives matter" is to miss the point. They should, of course, but history tells us that black lives have not mattered as much as others and, whether we want to acknowledge it or not, that remains an issue today.

Nor should we be distracted by the arguments of those who claim they oppose Black Lives Matter on political grounds. It is not a political stance to believe that people should be treated equally regardless of the colour of their skin. We ought to be able to disagree with ideas expressed or actions carried out in its name, without opposing the core message. But to boo the gesture or to say one opposes the movement on the basis of one's own perception of its politics risks an implied endorsement of racism and we should all reflect on that.

The second issue is the length of time over which sportspeople have been taking the knee and the question of whether the message has been blunted in that period. After reading Les Ferdinand's views on the subject in particular, I did wonder whether it had run its course. But, last Saturday, I attended the Portsmouth v King's Lynn FA Cup tie for work and saw the two teams take the knee before kickoff. It was the first time I had seen it in person, rather than on television, and it made me think about the issue in a way that I probably hadn't done since I first saw it after the Premier League's resumption. That experience, together with the weekend's events, leads me to the conclusion that the message needs to be reinforced. If our players can make even a small contribution to that, then I, for one, would applaud them for doing so.

BLM is a registered political party.
Therefore taking the knee in support of them is political.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 242
Norseman
December 7, 2020, 10:39pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
No. Millwall are apparently now going to stand and link arms. Good for them support without political affilliations
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 242
EY Mariner
December 7, 2020, 11:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from TAGG

BLM is a registered political party.
Therefore taking the knee in support of them is political.

Registered with whom? The Electoral Commission? There are 52 pages of applications for political party registration published on its website for 2020. None of them are for Black Lives Matter or BLM. Nor were there any last year or the year before that. And Black Lives Matter's UK website claims that it is not a member of nor affiliated with any political party. So, no, taking the knee isn't a political gesture.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 242
25 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Support our players taking the knee?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.