Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Anti-racism protests
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 12 Guests

Anti-racism protests

This thread currently has 22,301 views. Print
30 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
June 23, 2020, 8:45am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Boris Johnson

So did Pep Guardiola as well, which is great to see, called for fighting injustice all around the world, just wonder if he was inlcuding his Saudi Arabian paymaster in that?  Wonder if he wanted to call out Saudi Arabia on its record on Racism, Anti-semitism, persecution of homosexuals etc,etc, or should we just allow this virtue signalling bullshit to go on without check?

Reading some of the City websites there are a lot of people uncomfortable with the influence of Saudi Arabia at the club. That may be hypocrisy at its most extreme but other than refusing to support the club anymore what can an individual do? It's one of the reasons I dislike the circus that is the Premier League but I would find it extremely hard to stop supporting the club I've followed for over 50 years because of issues around the behaviour of the owners.
On a slightly different point I find it totally abhorrent that we as a country sell the hardware to the likes of Saudi Arabia that helps them to carry out the policies you have quoted..

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 290
barralad
June 23, 2020, 8:52am
Mariners Trust

I oppose violence in the name of any movement whether it be black, white, or pink with yellow spots.  I think as a movemebt BLM has a confrontational aspect to it, which in the end will only see the rsie again of far right factions. I think it could end up doing more harm than good.

I fear that the violence linked to the BLM movement allows detractors to focus on "whataboutery". History unfortunately tells us that entirely peaceful protest doesn't always ensure movements for change are successful. I'm not sure Votes for Women would have achieved their aims as quickly as they did although I readily accept that the role women played in the victory in WW1 helped their cause considerably.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 290
Boris Johnson
June 23, 2020, 9:21am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 290
Ipswin
June 23, 2020, 9:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

I have to say I find 'taking the knee' somewhat ironic given the way George Floyd was murdered but what I really object to is not the kneeling but the clenched fist salute adopted whilst doing it.

Too many have been watching the US sprinters 'black power' salute and protest at the 1968 Olympics I think.

Surely BLM is not about 'black power'

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 290
Boris Johnson
June 23, 2020, 10:11am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I have to say I find 'taking the knee' somewhat ironic given the way George Floyd was murdered but what I really object to is not the kneeling but the clenched fist salute adopted whilst doing it.

Too many have been watching the US sprinters 'black power' salute and protest at the 1968 Olympics I think.

exactly my thoughts, there is an agression to this movement, i maintain that it has become and will contunue to become confronational.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 290
barralad
June 23, 2020, 10:15am
Mariners Trust

Interesting article which makes the case for "the oppostion" as expected from Johnson's former employer. I'll gloss over the fact that City aren't owned by the Saudis 😨.
The point it fails to make though is that for thousands of youngsters up and down the country these players represent role models. The likes of the Spectator and the right wing gutter press are quick to jump on these young footballers when their behaviour (often) falls short. If even a few kids adapt their behaviour because of this stand then for me that must be a positive. I'm a firm believer that no-one is born a racist. This stand should be seen as an attempt at countering other influences on them which sadly too often incluse parental.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 290
lew chaterleys lover
June 23, 2020, 10:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237
It doesn't seem to matter what government we elect we seem to be ruled by mob hatred of our history and culture,aided and abetted by the media who seem scared to put the majority view forward.

We will become a powder keg soon if there I'd not a balanced discussion to be had about the future of the UK.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 290
Boris Johnson
June 23, 2020, 10:24am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Interesting article which makes the case for "the oppostion" as expected from Johnson's former employer. I'll gloss over the fact that City aren't owned by the Saudis 😨.
The point it fails to make though is that for thousands of youngsters up and down the country these players represent role models. The likes of the Spectator and the right wing gutter press are quick to jump on these young footballers when their behaviour (often) falls short. If even a few kids adapt their behaviour because of this stand then for me that must be a positive. I'm a firm believer that no-one is born a racist. This stand should be seen as an attempt at countering other influences on them which sadly too often incluse parental.

Really? Do you not find any hypocrisy say in the stance of someone like Raheem Sterling?  Quite happy to bite the hand that feeds, even if that hand is fed by a migrant slave economy?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 290
barralad
June 23, 2020, 11:18am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Ipswin

I hadn't really noticed that to be fair. The Black Power Movement was of its time. It's kind of funny that we are still talking about something that happened 52 years ago. Depending on your point of view that could suggest that the gesture did its job..funnily enough I was playing in an on-line quiz at the weekend and that picture was shown. The question was "Who was the white athlete who finished second?" I didn't have a clue.
Not sure why it has come into play now but would agree it's not about "Black Power".

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 290
Rick12
June 23, 2020, 11:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
It doesn't seem to matter what government we elect we seem to be ruled by mob hatred of our history and culture,aided and abetted by the media who seem scared to put the majority view forward.

We will become a powder keg soon if there I'd not a balanced discussion to be had about the future of the UK.
Well said.Truth always comes out in the end and  good is always the stronger force.

From the origins of man there has always been evil in all races/society's. Hence humanity is one of constant flux  but things are moving in the right direction.I know not everyone on here is religious which Iam but my favourite writer I think sums it up(battle between good v bad) when he said:

“Human history is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.”

― C.S. Lewis

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 290
30 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Anti-racism protests

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.