Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Anti-racism protests
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 28 Guests

Anti-racism protests

This thread currently has 22,297 views. Print
30 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... Next All Recommend Thread
codcheeky
July 11, 2020, 6:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,262
Gold Stars: 31

To people like Ska even this reasonable post I put earlier in this argument proves I am an intolerable racist bigot and all the other insults he can find to throw my way.

This was in response to the lockdown in Leicester where it was stated that some 3rd and 4th generation immigrants could not speak English and were unaware of the rules about lockdown because of it.

Now some posters will disagree and no one would have a problem with that, but Ska and his mates will not accept that anybody else has an equally valid, but very different view.

3rd and 4th generations not speaking English is a  complete myth, you would struggle to find many first  generation immigrants who cannot at the least get by,  this is the sort of nonsense put out by the right wing and Mail, I cannot believe you seriously believe this
Closer to the truth is many immigrants see the chance for education and are much stricter in making sure that their kids make the most of it and make a better life.

Please point out we’re the research that shows this comes from, and please don’t point to an article in The Mail
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 290
lew chaterleys lover
July 11, 2020, 9:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from codcheeky

3rd and 4th generations not speaking English is a  complete myth, you would struggle to find many first  generation immigrants who cannot at the least get by,  this is the sort of nonsense put out by the right wing and Mail, I cannot believe you seriously believe this
Closer to the truth is many immigrants see the chance for education and are much stricter in making sure that their kids make the most of it and make a better life.

Please point out we’re the research that shows this comes from, and please don’t point to an article in The Mail

It was on the BNP website.
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 290
codcheeky
July 12, 2020, 8:42am
Cocktail Drinker

It was on the BNP website.

Perhaps this is an attempt at a jest but obviously it is either this or you just made it up because it fits your racist beliefs.
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 290
lew chaterleys lover
July 12, 2020, 8:59am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

Perhaps this is an attempt at a jest but obviously it is either this or you just made it up because it fits your racist beliefs.

I would be very very careful throwing around accusations like that.
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 290
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 12, 2020, 1:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from codcheeky

Of course you could look at Census returns but I won’t bore you with it.

Like I said in a previous post, this simple generalising does not work. Remember the problems in Boston for example? The incomers there were largely east European but they put a tremendous strain on schools, social and medical services because of their sheer numbers and lack of English.

The issues in Leicester (Burnley, Doncaster ..... ) are also more complex. The immigration of older family is one of the reasons for a high percentage of non-English speakers. The immigrant communities are not homogeneous either. There is antipathy (posh word for racism really) between groups that come from different countries/areas in the sub-continent. This has always been the case but we rarely hear of it because of the closed nature of immigrant communities.

It is wrong to call this issue as a one-stop problem with a one-stop solution. It is also wrong to casually call racist anyone who dares to raise the issue.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 290
Rick12
July 12, 2020, 1:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45

The issues in Leicester (Burnley, Doncaster ..... ) are also more complex. The immigration of older family is one of the reasons for a high percentage of non-English speakers. The immigrant communities are not homogeneous either. There is antipathy (posh word for racism really) between groups that come from different countries/areas in the sub-continent. This has always been the case but we rarely hear of it because of the closed nature of immigrant communities.

Valid point eg I know there has been  tension amongst African and Jamaicans for one.Having lived  in London for over 20 years  there are issues with some people eg some Muslims not mingling that much due to the differences in ideology.On the other hand though Ive met some very nice Muslims.Hence good and bad in every race.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 290
codcheeky
July 12, 2020, 1:51pm
Cocktail Drinker

Like I said in a previous post, this simple generalising does not work. Remember the problems in Boston for example? The incomers there were largely east European but they put a tremendous strain on schools, social and medical services because of their sheer numbers and lack of English.

It is wrong to call this issue as a one-stop problem with a one-stop solution. It is also wrong to casually call racist anyone who dares to raise the issue.

I would say that to say third and forth generation cannot communicate in English with no other evidence than a BNP website is a pretty racist attitude, anyone wanting to read a BNP website for information to put on a message board should consider the validity of their source, this  attempt to stereotype whole communities is racist whether intended or not.  
I am not against the control of immigration , the fact employers will exploit it as a source of cheap Labour is not new. It suits farmers to pay gangmasters in places like Boston rather than proper wages and national insurance contributions.  
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 290
ska face
July 12, 2020, 2:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,779
Gold Stars: 851

Don’t worry, I’ve done it for you.

From the entire U.K. population, the 2011 census found 138,000 people who didn’t speak English or Welsh at all  Looking into those a bit deeper, 118,000 of those people were born outside of the U.K. So now you’re looking at 20,000 people, and this included, for example, people whose main language was a sign language.

So, from a population of around 68million, you’ve got at most 20,000 people born here don’t speak English, and a substantial number of those do it in sign language.

So not quite the problem of 4th generation immigrants not speaking English and claiming benefits that we were led to believe.
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 290
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 12, 2020, 2:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ska face

Don’t worry, I’ve done it for you.

From the entire U.K. population, the 2011 census found 138,000 people who didn’t speak English or Welsh at all  Looking into those a bit deeper, 118,000 of those people were born outside of the U.K. So now you’re looking at 20,000 people, and this included, for example, people whose main language was a sign language.

So, from a population of around 68million, you’ve got at most 20,000 people born here don’t speak English, and a substantial number of those do it in sign language.

So not quite the problem of 4th generation immigrants not speaking English and claiming benefits that we were led to believe.

I knew we could rely on you to state the bleeding obvious.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 290
lew chaterleys lover
July 12, 2020, 2:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

I would say that to say third and forth generation cannot communicate in English with no other evidence than a BNP website is a pretty racist attitude, anyone wanting to read a BNP website for information to put on a message board should consider the validity of their source, this  attempt to stereotype whole communities is racist whether intended or not.  
I am not against the control of immigration , the fact employers will exploit it as a source of cheap Labour is not new. It suits farmers to pay gangmasters in places like Boston rather than proper wages and national insurance contributions.  

Whoosh !!
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 290
30 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Anti-racism protests

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.