Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Trouble in Cleethorpes
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 131 Guests

Trouble in Cleethorpes

This thread currently has 39,837 views. Print
20 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
July 26, 2016, 1:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
It certainly looks like clarion call from JF. Jings, what an embarrassment.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 191
1mickylyons
July 26, 2016, 1:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from jock dock tower
It certainly looks like clarion call from JF. Jings, what an embarrassment.

He should have deconstructed a Sheff Utd flag and rallied the natives.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 191
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 26, 2016, 1:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 1mickylyons

As others have pointed out though Ron bussing hundreds of Sheff into CLPS and also allowing hundreds more unchecked off the trains whilst the locals sat in wait needs explaining by the Police someone gave the green light question is who and why?

Mickey - that may or may not be true. To be honest I really don't care either way. I am just fed up of this whitewashing of the club over arranging the fixture in the first place.

However you look at it there is no escaping the one and only important fact. No Sheffield United = no trains, no buses, no fights, no police costs, no bad publicity, no problem.

If the people at BP could not/cannot see and admit that then they are not fit to be running a football club.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 191
MuddyWaters
July 26, 2016, 1:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 1mickylyons

As others have pointed out though Ron bussing hundreds of Sheff into CLPS and also allowing hundreds more unchecked off the trains whilst the locals sat in wait needs explaining by the Police someone gave the green light question is who and why?

Yes, all true, but this could have been cut off at source by arranging the game for a midweek night. The Sheffield clubs' fans (both sets) have been waiting years for a good reason to come to BP and trash Cleethorpes. Most of us with any experience of when we were in higher leagues know full well what happens when Yorkshire clubs come to town and there's enough people in the boardroom who do too. The club's statement tries to gloss over what appears to be at best, an accident waiting to happen, and at worst an incident that may well have endangered lives and property.
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 191
Les Brechin
July 26, 2016, 1:42pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
What gets me is that the majority of these idiots are in their 30's, 40's and even 50's and should know better by now.

Don't they give a toss about what their actions could bring about. Smack someone in the face, they fall over, crack their head and could end up in a coma or even dead and then they're facing a manslaughter charge.

I've always tried to stay away from the trouble, even more so now as just one blow to the head for me could end up killing me. I look normal enough (ish) to the naked eye but people have conditions that the eye cannot see and these mindless idiots could well end up killing someone.

I like a drink as much as the next man and often go by train to away games so that I can have a good drink. I never feel like walking up to a fellow human being and smacking him in the face just because he supports a different football club than I do.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 191
MuddyWaters
July 26, 2016, 2:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236

Mickey - that may or may not be true. To be honest I really don't care either way. I am just fed up of this whitewashing of the club over arranging the fixture in the first place.

However you look at it there is no escaping the one and only important fact. No Sheffield United = no trains, no buses, no fights, no police costs, no bad publicity, no problem.

If the people at BP could not/cannot see and admit that then they are not fit to be running a football club.

This is it. It wasn't even a maybe - Yorkshire football fans neanderthals, particularly Sheffield clubs, Leeds and Donny used to love an early or late season Saturday fixture in Cleethorpes so what did we do? We went and made one up for them.
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 191
ska face
July 26, 2016, 2:15pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Some excellent points and I agree regarding this latest infantile statement.One point though despite the video of the suggitts lane skirmish the main trouble was in and around CLPS Market Place and High St and most major incidents of this type at football in the last 25 years are. On that basis how would a new ground have stopped the Sheff U lot from heading into CLPS before the game they clearly brought large numbers intent on causing or engaging in trouble and found willing participants lying in wait?

I'm not a politician mate

Though this is the type of incident that residents are concerned about, and have already been very vocal about this in consultation events & in the press. I'd certainly have had an eye on "damage limitation", first and foremost, rather than just pouring petrol over everything. I understand what you're saying entirely, but this could have been an opportunity to address the issue positively from a PR point of view, something vague about future opportunities to investigate and adopt robust safety and policing procedures, developing plans in line with the excellent and demonstrably successful work already being done across the football league to reduce disorder, and working with local partners and local communities to bring the club into the 21st Century in every way.

What does it mean in practice? Not a great deal. Fans will still be drinking in town or meggies and have a journey through a residential area (if transport plans aren't put in place) to make. But any statement by the club essentially means jaff all anyway, as we all know - it's a PR exercise, but Fenty just can't manage it. There WILL be an opportunity to look at policing arrangements with a new ground, but we're a millions miles away from that point at the minute, so details are obviously pointless. A token mention is all that was needed, but this is what we've been served up, and people wonder why the club are no nearer a new ground now than 20 years ago?
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 191
cmackenzie4
July 26, 2016, 2:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Les Brechin
What gets me is that the majority of these idiots are in their 30's, 40's and even 50's and should know better by now.

Don't they give a toss about what their actions could bring about. Smack someone in the face, they fall over, crack their head and could end up in a coma or even dead and then they're facing a manslaughter charge.

I've always tried to stay away from the trouble, even more so now as just one blow to the head for me could end up killing me. I look normal enough (ish) to the naked eye but people have conditions that the eye cannot see and these mindless idiots could well end up killing someone.

I like a drink as much as the next man and often go by train to away game so that I can have a good drink. I never feel like walking up to a fellow human being and smacking him in the face just because he supports a different football club than I do.

Spot on Les.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 191
jock dock tower
July 26, 2016, 2:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

I like a drink as much as the next man and often go by train to away game so that I can have a good drink. I never feel like walking up to a fellow human being and smacking him in the face just because he supports a different football club than I do.

That's because you're not a "top lad" bedecked in Burberry from head to toe. Wouldn't lose any sleep over it Les.
)Mistake rectified Les)

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 191
jock dock tower
July 26, 2016, 2:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
I remember when they were called lager louts in the right wing hang em and flog em press. That always upset me as a drinker of Bass mild, as I too wanted to be seen as a thug but mild lout just didn't have that ring to it?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 191
20 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Trouble in Cleethorpes

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.