Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Trouble in Cleethorpes
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 273 Guests

Trouble in Cleethorpes

This thread currently has 39,834 views. Print
20 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
July 26, 2016, 9:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Mariner93er
You can blame the police, the club or anyone you want for the trouble, but ultimately it all boils down to the fans (or so called fans). Why do we have to settle for scapegoating the police because they should know it is going to happen. How about we solely blame the hooligans who engage in such activities.

The Police are given resource to prevent this type of disorder occurring at games their failure to control the situation albeit outside the ground needs reviewing because God forbid when they are given carte blanche and get it wrong inside things like Hillsborough can occur.The hooligans will be picked up now as a result of the CCTV and evidence gathering but for those innocents caught up in it  see HORSE, GATE AND BOLTED
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 191
Mariner93er
July 26, 2016, 9:56am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,738
Gold Stars: 28
My point is, the police shouldn't be given the chance to get it wrong, if people could act civilised( a minority obviously).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 191
ska face
July 26, 2016, 10:10am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Mariner93er
My point is, the police shouldn't be given the chance to get it wrong, if people could act civilised( a minority obviously).

So your point is that there should be something to stop people fighting in the street? Rules of some description, which people should abide by and be punished for breaking them?

Almost, I dunno, like laws?
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 191
ska face
July 26, 2016, 10:21am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
The statement is possibly the worst thing I've ever read on a number of levels, not even the eye-bleach has helped. There's no point going into it all on here as I've not got a full day spare.

If the club had any brains about them, they'd use this to positively promote the new stadium - espousing the good news about how these kind of incidents can be, and have been, virtually be "designed out" of football in new purpose built stadia around the country. A new stadium with better access & links from major transport hubs, that don't require a 1.5 mile walk down the back of a deserted railway line not covered by CCTV, would surely only serve to stop this sort of thing? BP is not currently fit for purpose, they keep telling us, maybe this is one reason why?

You'd expect a politician to be able to put that sort of a spin on things, but what we've got is a flipping head case who'd be happier having his picture taken on the beach, shovelling grass about.
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 191
1mickylyons
July 26, 2016, 12:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Mariner93er

So called football hooliganism has been going on for well over 40 years which suggests that they have no intention of downing tools anytime soon and also and perhaps more alarmingly for some it is just part of the matchday experience.On a personal note when Town are at home and playing the likes of Sheff Utd I know where to avoid if I don't want to get caught up in anything.The low home support Saturday suggests over 50% of Towns regular fans also gave it a swerve a large percentage of those probably due to the likely events.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 191
Cloudy
July 26, 2016, 12:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I avoid any situation where violence may ensue but this isnt new. Violence in the streets has gone on for hundreds of years so the do gooders can do one as far as I am concerned. Police should have been more aware and used their famous 'intelligence' to prevent as much as possible.

Briefly caught the Police commander or whatever her title is on the radio this morning, in one breath she said football clubs must pay for Policing away from the stadiums and then added that they were recruiting more police for the City of Culture claptrap. Is the City of Culture paying for the new coppers? Do the pubs and clubs in every Town & City pay for Policing around throwing out time?

My guess is no they dont so why should football clubs, especially ones like ours who are far from cash rich be made to do so.
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 191
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 26, 2016, 1:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from grimps
The club should be able to invite any team they like for a friendly  , this was all totally avoidable if the police had been up early and on the ball.
We've had crowds four or five times bigger than this over the years with no trouble at all.

Oh yes. Dead easy that. The club is whiter than white, no responsibility, it's all down to someone else. The last time I heard an argument like that Tony Blair was making it. You are just demonstrating the don't care  attitude that has got so many people's backs up in the town about the club and as they see it, the underserving cause of a new stadium.

The size of the crowd is irrelevant. It's what they do that matters and it was obvious that if you put Sheffield United with Grimsby Town on a July Saturday afternoon that you would need an army of police to be everywhere and stop trouble at source.

So are you going to dig in your pocket and pay for that policing? No you won't want to do that will you?
You leave it to the good  people of North East Lincolnshire to pick up the tab for the stupidity of your football club. Lucky people, not only do they get the hooligans, they get to pay for the pleasure of it as well
And all the club can talk about is banning orders and all the "fans" can do is moan that the police are not where they should be or not doing what they should do.

The world is as it is. We know in an ideal world any club can play any other club and fans will walk in and out chatting and chanting in good humour. We'd all love our games to be like that but they aren't. All this claptrap about transport hubs and stuff being the answer is eyewash. Like Garth said earlier on, the rivalry goes back decades. When longstanding enemies meet they will find a way to fight, police or no police.

Therefore the only way to stop it is to not give them a freebie by way of a friendly.

We don't like it. We think it's giving in to the yobs. We want our rights! We'd rather risk it and say "It's our right to have any match we want and bu99er the consequences."

So well done to the club for putting the new ground back on the agenda in just the way we didn't want it and giving the opposition even more ammunition to force the club out of town.

It really is time Mr Fenty brought the club into the real world because at the moment we are on Fantasy Island.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 191
1mickylyons
July 26, 2016, 1:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ska face
The statement is possibly the worst thing I've ever read on a number of levels, not even the eye-bleach has helped. There's no point going into it all on here as I've not got a full day spare.

If the club had any brains about them, they'd use this to positively promote the new stadium - espousing the good news about how these kind of incidents can be, and have been, virtually be "designed out" of football in new purpose built stadia around the country. A new stadium with better access & links from major transport hubs, that don't require a 1.5 mile walk down the back of a deserted railway line not covered by CCTV, would surely only serve to stop this sort of thing? BP is not currently fit for purpose, they keep telling us, maybe this is one reason why?

You'd expect a politician to be able to put that sort of a spin on things, but what we've got is a flipping head case who'd be happier having his picture taken on the beach, shovelling grass about.

Some excellent points and I agree regarding this latest infantile statement.One point though despite the video of the suggitts lane skirmish the main trouble was in and around CLPS Market Place and High St and most major incidents of this type at football in the last 25 years are. On that basis how would a new ground have stopped the Sheff U lot from heading into CLPS before the game they clearly brought large numbers intent on causing or engaging in trouble and found willing participants lying in wait?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 191
psgmariner
July 26, 2016, 1:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Some excellent points and I agree regarding this latest infantile statement.One point though despite the video of the suggitts lane skirmish the main trouble was in and around CLPS Market Place and High St and most major incidents of this type at football in the last 25 years are. On that basis how would a new ground have stopped the Sheff U lot from heading into CLPS before the game they clearly brought large numbers intent on causing or engaging in trouble and found willing participants lying in wait?

As others have said a new ground would make no difference in my opinion and trying to use the violence of Saturday to somehow spin the positives of moving would have been a terrible idea.

Private Message
Reply: 148 - 191
1mickylyons
July 26, 2016, 1:11pm
Special Brew Drinker

Oh yes. Dead easy that. The club is whiter than white, no responsibility, it's all down to someone else. The last time I heard an argument like that Tony Blair was making it. You are just demonstrating the don't care  attitude that has got so many people's backs up in the town about the club and as they see it, the underserving cause of a new stadium.

The size of the crowd is irrelevant. It's what they do that matters and it was obvious that if you put Sheffield United with Grimsby Town on a July Saturday afternoon that you would need an army of police to be everywhere and stop trouble at source.

So are you going to dig in your pocket and pay for that policing? No you won't want to do that will you?
You leave it to the good  people of North East Lincolnshire to pick up the tab for the stupidity of your football club. Lucky people, not only do they get the hooligans, they get to pay for the pleasure of it as well
And all the club can talk about is banning orders and all the "fans" can do is moan that the police are not where they should be or not doing what they should do.

The world is as it is. We know in an ideal world any club can play any other club and fans will walk in and out chatting and chanting in good humour. We'd all love our games to be like that but they aren't. All this claptrap about transport hubs and stuff being the answer is eyewash. Like Garth said earlier on, the rivalry goes back decades. When longstanding enemies meet they will find a way to fight, police or no police.

Therefore the only way to stop it is to not give them a freebie by way of a friendly.

We don't like it. We think it's giving in to the yobs. We want our rights! We'd rather risk it and say "It's our right to have any match we want and bu99er the consequences."

So well done to the club for putting the new ground back on the agenda in just the way we didn't want it and giving the opposition even more ammunition to force the club out of town.

It really is time Mr Fenty brought the club into the real world because at the moment we are on Fantasy Island.

As others have pointed out though Ron bussing hundreds of Sheff into CLPS and also allowing hundreds more unchecked off the trains whilst the locals sat in wait needs explaining by the Police someone gave the green light question is who and why?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 191
20 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Trouble in Cleethorpes

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.