Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Trouble in Cleethorpes
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 154 Guests

Trouble in Cleethorpes

This thread currently has 39,844 views. Print
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 25, 2016, 1:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Tinymariner
Why shouldn't we be allowed to play a decent club in preseason? If some idiots want to fight then that should not stop what was a good 90 mins for both sets of players. Better measures should have been implemented to prevent large groups of mindless thugs from congregating in Clee.

How exactly would you set about doing that? It would take a huge police presence. The arrival of the away fans would be staggered and they would be largely by car. The police already know where the trouble will be. They move on the Grimsby yobs in the Avenue and sea front but they can't lock 'em up unless they do something so they just disperse and come back together a few minutes later. The away fans do the same at the bars on High Street and Alex Road.

I've lost count of the number of times over the years I've seen this happen at Cleethorpes with Yorkshire teams. As soon as it's summer time or a bank holiday it makes it even worse.

So why do it voluntarily? Why put the people of Cleethorpes and summer visitors at risk? Why cost the taxpayers a fortune in policing costs? (Will the club shell out some of the gate money for that? Not on your life.) Why do all this for the sake of a meaningless non-competitive match? There must be other teams of similar quality and standing we could play without causing this sort of aggravation in the town. Someone at the club dropped a b@llock here.

From the point of view of a club that needs all the community support it can get this is a PR disaster. Look at the letters in the GT and see how it has given ammunition to the anti-new ground lot. Listen to what people think around Cleethorpes about Saturday. It's the last thing the club needs.

We are in our own little world here on the Fishy but at least most of us do think about the bigger picture of life from time to time. It looks like the people at BP are in an even smaller world than ours.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 191
Les Brechin
July 25, 2016, 1:06pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
Hope that he recovers soon Tim.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 191
FishOutOfWater
July 25, 2016, 1:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Les Brechin
Hope that he recovers soon Tim.

Cheers Les

I know Hull doesn't hold too many happy memories for you but fingers crossed, here's hoping he pulls through once the hospital's staff get on with sorting him out
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 102 - 191
Les Brechin
July 25, 2016, 2:33pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,713
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Cheers Les

I know Hull doesn't hold too many happy memories for you but fingers crossed, here's hoping he pulls through once the hospital's staff get on with sorting him out

True, I was in Hull Royal Infirmary though and the care there was superb and I'm told Castle Hill is supposed to be a better hospital, so lets hope they can get him sorted mate.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 191
MuddyWaters
July 25, 2016, 2:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I first heard about it when I called in to see my uncle & aunt after the match Chris

Just talking in general as you do about things, catching up, having a cuppa and mentioned there'd been some skirmishes in and around Cleethorpes

Then just after 6-00 my aunt got a call from her friend in bit of a tizz saying she was at the hospital with her son who'd been attacked and she was understandably shocked and wanted to talk

Got told this morning about the latest developments...as its stands, he's obviously in the best place for his injuries but a worrying time for all concerned  

Hope he makes a full and swift recovery.
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 191
MuddyWaters
July 25, 2016, 2:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Tinymariner
Why shouldn't we be allowed to play a decent club in preseason? If some idiots want to fight then that should not stop what was a good 90 mins for both sets of players. Better measures should have been implemented to prevent large groups of mindless thugs from congregating in Clee.

So you think it was a good idea to organise it on a Saturday afternoon allowing an assortment of idiots to get drunk up and impersonate football fans?
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 191
Tinymariner
July 25, 2016, 4:49pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
No, I'm saying that we shouldn't allow mindless idiots to ruin our sport.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 191
dapperz fun pub
July 25, 2016, 5:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,955
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Tinymariner

We shouldn't I agree ... However the writing was on the wall regarding this fixture and humberside police completely failed to keep law and order in Cleethorpes.when the blades left sheff station at 9 am on sat did the British transport plod  radio through to Gy and say no risk element travelling all just coming for a jolly boys outing???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 191
MuddyWaters
July 25, 2016, 5:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Tinymariner

Maybe not - but they have been for years and every fanbase has a number of neanderthals hellbent on causing mindless and senseless damage to both people and property. The organisation of Saturday's fixture gave them an ideal opportunity to do so.
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 191
rancido
July 25, 2016, 5:42pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from grimps
I wasn't blaming the average Bobby , I was blaming the officer that gets paid to be in charge of policing Grimsby games

Well I blame the moronic fans from both sets of supporters who can't just enjoy a day out to a football match without getting totally bladdered and then want to take on the world. There is something about the British psyche that involves having to consume large amounts of alcohol just to have a good time. I know I will get some indignant replies to this but I have been in many countries but you can always tell the Brits by their drunken behaviour whether that is in Greece, Spain, Turkey, Bulgaria or France. The only place I haven't witnessed their drunken behaviour is in the US but then again you have to be 21 to drink there ( very sensible in my opinion ) and you would certainly get short shrift from the US police if you did misbehave.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 191
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Trouble in Cleethorpes

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.