Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Alex Hunt Joins York
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Alex Hunt Joins York

This thread currently has 30,891 views. Print
25 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
March 14, 2024, 10:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from ska face
Needs to get himself on those Messi human growth hormone injections in the summer.

I'm not sure that they can help you consistently pass the ball to a teammate. A bit chunkier, but still giving away possession in dangerous areas wouldn't make him a better player.

I'm sorry to say that I just don't think he's got what it takes. All the ability in the world in training counts for nothing if you can't deal with the pressures of a game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 245
diehardmariner
March 14, 2024, 5:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Very hard to disagree with that Maringer.

I really thought this loan spell would do him the world of good, a Charles Vernam to Chorley sized shot in the arm.  Yet it doesn't seem to have at all.  

Crumb of hope, albeit from a younger and less experienced (in terms of games played) point of view, in Jack Lester going on loan to Doncaster having done little when given a chance here.  Didn't impress at Donny yet came back with the bit absolutely between his teeth and looked a different animal altogether.

I say crumb, it's more like a that bit of a Rich Tea that's still in your hand after dunking in the mug of tea.  It's had enough tea on it to soften and you know full well as soon as you open your finger and thumb it's more of a paste than anything else.
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 245
kevikov
March 14, 2024, 6:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Mmmmmm, rich tea biscuits. Tea’s too wet without one.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 245
AncientExiledMariner
March 14, 2024, 6:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Maringer

I'm not sure that they can help you consistently pass the ball to a teammate. A bit chunkier, but still giving away possession in dangerous areas wouldn't make him a better player.

I'm sorry to say that I just don't think he's got what it takes. All the ability in the world in training counts for nothing if you can't deal with the pressures of a game.

I think that's where this loan will make or break him. When he finds his way out of the team, he's got learn the mistakes quickly, improve in high pressure situations and make his minutes count. Every time he gets on the pitch, he's got to show he's present to dig the team out of the excrement, know when to risk it, and when to protect possession and when there is a bit more luxury to try something aggressive.

He's gifted, but he's got to learn when to use his gift, and when to graft and put the team first.

I really hope he takes this opportunity, because it sure feels like time is running out for him to hit the standards required to be a football league player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 245
toontown
March 14, 2024, 8:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70

I think that's where this loan will make or break him. When he finds his way out of the team, he's got learn the mistakes quickly, improve in high pressure situations and make his minutes count. Every time he gets on the pitch, he's got to show he's present to dig the team out of the excrement, know when to risk it, and when to protect possession and when there is a bit more luxury to try something aggressive.

He's gifted, but he's got to learn when to use his gift, and when to graft and put the team first.

I really hope he takes this opportunity, because it sure feels like time is running out for him to hit the standards required to be a football league player.

Totally agree with you on this, I wonder if his ears are now ringing with the comment Hurst gave after his Carlisle away debacle performance last year (very very reminiscent of his York debut). It was something like "players can make mistakes but they have to learn from them or else they won't be playing football here, and if they keep on not learning from them they won't be playing professional football at all because it's a very competitive business".
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 245
AncientExiledMariner
March 14, 2024, 11:26pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from toontown

Totally agree with you on this, I wonder if his ears are now ringing with the comment Hurst gave after his Carlisle away debacle performance last year (very very reminiscent of his York debut). It was something like "players can make mistakes but they have to learn from them or else they won't be playing football here, and if they keep on not learning from them they won't be playing professional football at all because it's a very competitive business".

I remember that quote, and you're spot on. Hurst was on the money with quite a few things he said.

Especially when they were commenting how good a trainer he was. If he's working hard as SP said, and gifted. It's not that, then it must be something along those lines. I think the reason he's been hooked a few times early even though he hasn't done badly is because he's getting instructions and not following them repeatedly. Maybe it's unintentional, but if so, these shocks have to push him to take things on board.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 245
arryarryarry
March 15, 2024, 3:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,045
Gold Stars: 116

Not much different than most of our midfielders, even on Tuesday when we were battling hard there was an occasion in the second half where Holohan gave the ball away, they broke and Holohan just trundled back making no effort to put his mistake right and that's not the first time he has done that.

I also thought Clifton went AWOL for most of the game.
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 245
Ruston AT
March 15, 2024, 8:32am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +431
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from arryarryarry

Not much different than most of our midfielders, even on Tuesday when we were battling hard there was an occasion in the second half where Holohan gave the ball away, they broke and Holohan just trundled back making no effort to put his mistake right and that's not the first time he has done that.

Just watch Eisa, he did the same two or three times he really needs to work harder before he wins me over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 245
LocalLadGTFC
March 15, 2024, 9:30am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,216
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from arryarryarry

Clifton kept Stephen Wearne very quiet all night, so much so I forgot he was even playing... say what you want about Harry but defensively he's very very good. His ability to recover after getting beat is second to none. Made a very good tackle to put it out for a corner after he was beaten in the second half. Being part of a back 5 that's been the main reason for this upturn in fortune is not going AWOL.. it's standing up and being counted for when it mattered most. Especially keeping a clean sheet against the most inform team and probably the best footballing side in the division. To compare Clifton to Hunt is ludicrous, no matter how bad a game he's having you know you're getting 110% from Harry, technically he has his difficencies and that's why he plays for Grimsby Town... but he'll never ever shy away from the ball or a tackle and you can rely on him busting his balls for the football club every single time he pulls on the black and white opposed to a lad that's had a handful of good games for the club in 2/3 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 148 - 245
DB
March 15, 2024, 10:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,006
Gold Stars: 386
I do wonder what has gone wrong with Hunt. He came to us on loan and could place the ball on an attacker's head from a corner or free kick. He had a good work rate and then went back to Sheffield.

After that, it was a downward trajectory for him. I feel sorry for the lad but unless he gets his mojo back pretty dam quick I think he can hang up his boots.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 245
25 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Alex Hunt Joins York

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.