Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Alex Hunt Joins York
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Alex Hunt Joins York

This thread currently has 31,254 views. Print
25 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
March 31, 2024, 4:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from arryarryarry

I take it you haven't seen Barrow's second goal.

I will reserve judgement on him.

I remember many on here when Mullarkey signed saying he looked a real good player, yet now many seem to think he is a crap fullback.

Yep. I’ve seen it. Reminiscent of several goals that Holohan has given away this season.
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 245
arryarryarry
March 31, 2024, 5:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yep. I’ve seen it. Reminiscent of several goals that Holohan has given away this season.

I think Holohan has been a good player for us but in the main has been poor this season, so not sure what point you are trying to make there.
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 245
MuddyWaters
March 31, 2024, 5:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from arryarryarry

I think Holohan has been a good player for us but in the main has been poor this season, so not sure what point you are trying to make there.

Most of our midfielders have made errors that have resulted in goals this season. Some have been called out to a greater extent than others.
Private Message
Reply: 192 - 245
RonMariner
March 31, 2024, 11:13pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,814
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Most of our midfielders have made errors that have resulted in goals this season. Some have been called out to a greater extent than others.

Yes, we give the ball away in midfield, and so many teams seem to have players with the ability to capitalise on these errors  and find the net. We on the other hand can't be relied upon to finish a sitter more often than not.

It's clear that, whether we manage to stay up or not, our squad just isn't good enough. We don't seem to have players that can manage the basics that so many other teams seem well capable of.

Whatever happens in the next month we need a serious overhaul in the summer. Tinkering with this squad isn't going to get us very far at all.    
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 193 - 245
CSLM
March 31, 2024, 11:34pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
I kind of see why there is the discussion about Thompson and clearly the mistake the other day was shite but from what I have seen he has much more about him than most of the others, especially the midfielders. I've lost count of the times this season that I have been thinking/shouting "where the fock is the midfielder".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 245
cardiffmariner
March 31, 2024, 11:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,320
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from arryarryarry

I take it you haven't seen Barrow's second goal.

I will reserve judgement on him.

I remember many on here when Mullarkey signed saying he looked a real good player, yet now many seem to think he is a crap fullback.

Maybe that tells you more about us than him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 195 - 245
arryarryarry
April 1, 2024, 2:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from cardiffmariner

Maybe that tells you more about us than him.

Exactly my point, that is why I don't go overboard about a new player or manager like some do, and some now seem to think Johnson is the answer to our midfield problems. I have yet to be convinced, he may well turn out to be a very good signing but at the moment he seems just as liable to make a member up as the rest of them.
Private Message
Reply: 196 - 245
Mappers
April 1, 2024, 8:19am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,461
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from arryarryarry

Exactly my point, that is why I don't go overboard about a new player or manager like some do, and some now seem to think Johnson is the answer to our midfield problems. I have yet to be convinced, he may well turn out to be a very good signing but at the moment he seems just as liable to make a member up as the rest of them.

Thompson is being asked to do a job he's never done before , when we revert to trying to play the ball in to him , in the middle of the park it doesn't end well  . He's a busy ,tenacious midfield player and a good one at that - a mainstay in the Wycombe promotion team that made it to the Champ and one Cheltenham fans  were slightly upset they let go .

Artell's comment when he signed was something along the lines of ' he's not used to being a passing midfielder but I will coach that into him , we will change that' . I am not sure you can 'change' a 30+ senior pro to the degree he maybe feels he can .

It's clear to me at least we have the players to survive quite comfortably when we play to our strengths , but when we try to implement any sort of 'Artell ball' style it quickly goes pear , it's certainly too early in the piece in my mind for that . Hopefully today we revert back to standard grinding/league 2 style and pull a result out because if we start faffing around with the ball it's clearly something we are not capable of and will just lose again .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 197 - 245
GTFCNiles
April 3, 2024, 12:07pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +42
Gold Stars: 6
Looks like he's found his feet watching the highlights, good deliveries one thing we have been lacking in consistency.

I genuinely hope to see him back in a GTFC shirt.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 198 - 245
Maringer
April 3, 2024, 12:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Mappers

Thompson is being asked to do a job he's never done before , when we revert to trying to play the ball in to him , in the middle of the park it doesn't end well  . He's a busy ,tenacious midfield player and a good one at that - a mainstay in the Wycombe promotion team that made it to the Champ and one Cheltenham fans  were slightly upset they let go .

Technically, he's actually pretty good with the ball at his feet. His problem is that he often wins the ball but then holds onto it much too long so any impetus is lost and it allows the opposition to tackle back so he often loses it again!

I suppose the fact that our midfielders and forwards aren't exactly showing for the ball much of the time, but if he kept it simple, he'd be more effective than he has already been.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 199 - 245
25 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Alex Hunt Joins York

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.