MuddyWaters
December 27, 2023, 2:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from davmariner

This is why I argued that we should have pushed the boat out to get the Cowley brothers. I don’t doubt there’s probably a decent coach in Artell, but I can see us dropping a lot of points through not being pragmatic in our play.

Just a suggestion, but wouldn’t it be prudent to make a judgement when the manager gets his own players in rather than some knee jerk reaction to a defeat against a team that’s only lost once all season?
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 138
heppy88
December 27, 2023, 3:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from davmariner

This is why I argued that we should have pushed the boat out to get the Cowley brothers.

How do you know we didn’t “push the boat out” to get the Cowley’s? How do you know they were even interested, or would have come whatever was offered? Unless you have some insider knowledge of the recruitment process, we simply don’t know who was interested, or offered contracts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 138
davmariner
December 27, 2023, 3:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,962
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Just a suggestion, but wouldn’t it be prudent to make a judgement when the manager gets his own players in rather than some knee jerk reaction to a defeat against a team that’s only lost once all season?

My reaction isn’t a knee jerk one. It’s been consistent since before Artell came in. By the time the manager has got his players in, we could already be in the National League. That’s why my preference would have been to get someone in who is pragmatic and can get the points on the board with what we have.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 138
MuddyWaters
December 27, 2023, 3:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from davmariner

My reaction isn’t a knee jerk one. It’s been consistent since before Artell came in. By the time the manager has got his players in, we could already be in the National League. That’s why my preference would have been to get someone in who is pragmatic and can get the points on the board with what we have.

We got rid of ‘pragmatic’. He got one lucky win in 11 games (Barrow).
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 138
mariner91
December 27, 2023, 3:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,744
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from davmariner

The Cowley’s famously require their teams to get at least 23 crosses in to the box per game as stats show on average it will lead to a goal if that number is met. Other than Glennon, how many hours do you think we’d need to play for them to hit that number? I think Mullarkey could play for a week non-stop and not deliver 23 crosses into the box.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 138
davmariner
December 27, 2023, 3:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

The Cowley’s famously require their teams to get at least 23 crosses in to the box per game as stats show on average it will lead to a goal if that number is met. Other than Glennon, how many hours do you think we’d need to play for them to hit that number? I think Mullarkey could play for a week non-stop and not deliver 23 crosses into the box.

We know that’s one of the approaches they used to get the best out of the team they had at the time. They’re also known for devising an approach and adapting their strategy according to the tools that they have.

We saw what happens when you try and get players who aren’t up to it to play a certain way under Holloway and it was a disaster. Time will tell whether our current team is as bad as that, but our league position shows it’s at least comparable. These players aren’t up to it.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 138
LocalLadGTFC
December 27, 2023, 4:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,321
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from davmariner

So take a short term plan that could fail over a long term and pragmatic approach? Gotcha
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 66 - 138
davmariner
December 27, 2023, 4:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

So take a short term plan that could fail over a long term and pragmatic approach? Gotcha

Using that logic (which isn’t what I said at all btw) you’d prefer a long term approach which could fail in the short term and see us relegated a third time to the National League? Gotcha.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 138
arryarryarry
December 27, 2023, 5:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

So you are guaranteeing that this so called long term plan will succeed.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 138
Bigdog
December 27, 2023, 5:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.12
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Kept off here yesterday. Lose two games and nobody is off limits for criticism for some. The panic is just ridiculous and the criticism at this stage is unjustified. It's two games, the manager has been here five minutes with someone else's players who shot their fragile confidence to bits. Settle down, stop being snowflakes and see the season out. We'll win around ten games and finish mid to lower table. Not the season we wished for, but that's what we'll get. After that, probably another season of building before threatening the top seven the season after, anything better will be a bonus, especially after Hurst has spunked the cup money already. The players have been and will be better than they've been for 120 minutes out of the last two games, I have faith in Artell to do that, and he'll probably need four windows to get us looking like a promotion side. It's going to take patience and your support to get there. Throwing every toy out of your pram after every single defeat isn't going to help the process. Time to stand up, support the players and manager through thick and thin, and be men for a while..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 138
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell’s interviews

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.