MuddyWaters
December 27, 2023, 8:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from acko338
Town competed for the first 15 minutes, then found tbat Mansfield were faster, more physical, more accurate with their passing and could keep us chasing tails all over the field.

Rose becomes more isolated, our passing slowly gets more raggy, yet we create chances to score at least 2 or 3 goals, none of which were taken.

Then all the previous bad habits come in, with slow passing, poor positional sense, lowering of running and effort and hence sloppy play.

How can pro players NOT be able to easily trap a ball and pass it properly??

That is the fan frustration, if players graft and other team's players are just better, then you have to take it. Lack of some simple skill levels are more gutting, as you then ask what is actually done in training sessions?

Several of our squad, Hurst’s squad simply lack the ability to pass and move into space. That then puts pressure on others and they don’t have viable options. Even the likes of Harrogate and Newport had options to pass to but we’ve reverted to type.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 138
lew chaterleys lover
December 27, 2023, 8:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Our present travails have nothing to do with Artell, the way he comes across in interviews or anything else. He has inherited a very poor, disjointed one paced squad. He is doing his best to try to instill some confidence into the players, most of whom he will have to work with for some time yet.

I wish him well because if it really did go belly up would we ever recover?

This really should re emphasise to the owners the only important thing is what happens on the field. What they might want to achieve eventually will have to wait till we have a bit of sustained success on the field.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 138
dapperz fun pub
December 27, 2023, 9:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,934
Gold Stars: 82
We need 2/3 players at least  in January who can play at this level just to do a job on keeping us up , forget styles of play just lads who are of level 4 standard be it on loan or short term buys. Sadly almost every one of our squad look below the required standard and most will end up non league players. I fully support DA it takes time but the window saves us if he’s supported if not we’re in the bottom 4 somewhere
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 138
GtfcGarner
December 27, 2023, 9:20am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,786
Gold Stars: 26
I was so angry last night never been so p!ssed off watching a town team. It's like they accepted that Mansfield was a better team so stopped trying in the second half. We really do need 4-5 experienced pro's to come in January to give the team a face-lift. Not keeping a clean-sheet in over 20 games in the League is criminal and makes for that of a team destined for relegation. I'm aware we aren't going to be world beaters overnight but surely you build from the back be hard to beat then go from there?

Atleast another Centre-Back is needed in January. I've not been impressed with Mullarkey or Efete and I think that the right back spot is another we need a change in. Two midfielders that feel comfortable receiving a ball under pressure and can make a 5-yard pass.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 138
pontoonlew
December 27, 2023, 9:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,032
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from Boonsy
I honestly don’t think Artells up to it....  of course I hope I am wrong but given our league position, how awful the squad is and the depth of experience in this league, I believe Artell has no experience when it comes to the issues being faced... I hate to think it, but I do believe we will drop into NL next season at which point Artell will leave... he really isn’t up to it.. sorry

The worst thing about this post, aside from the fact it’s absolute gibberish, is that 5 people agree with you enough to give you a tick.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 138
Mappers
December 27, 2023, 9:27am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,317
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from DaleH
I’ve not been impressed with his interviews. I don’t think he comes across particularly well. But I wouldn’t care about that a single jot, if he’s realistic in what he says. And I cannot abide “could have” or “should have” comments. I’d prefer “we haven’t taken our chances in the first half, we’ve created a few which is good, but we must finish more of those chances. Mansfield have created a good few chances too in the first half, and scored two, snd that’s why they are looking strong promotion contenders. So that’s what we’ve got to do, to improve and get us where we need to be”.

That’s the sort of post match comments I want to hear from my manager. Not daft comments that we could have been 4 nil up at half time.

I think we have a big issue with lack of quality in the squad, which is both disappointing and ironic, given that we’ve spent some money this season.

David Artel has a huge job on his hands, and we MUST make signings in January. He must not hang his hat on this assertion that we are far too good to go down. We are not. And we’ve seen many occasions where that old cliche has been proved to be incorrect.

David has to now get us to safety, because make no mistake, we are heading towards a relegation survival battle. Then he has to rebuild for a better L2 campaign next season. Putting aside the quality of the players for a moment, we are now heading into a few months in which it will become evident whether or not we’ve got the right manager in to replace Paul Hurst

Some of it does come over as coaches voice talk (almost Jolley MK11) but we need to hope he can walk the walk , as well as talk the talk - tbf to Jolley he did keep a dreadful side in the league that first season and then got found out .

We need Artell to do the same whatever it takes , it all depends if he can get the recruitment right but please god if he can't (Jolley at least realised how limited that team was and set us up to be hard to beat and scrape wins ) and he's stuck with this lot don't continue with total football , with the players + run in we have it could well take us down .
I am majorly concerned after that second half more than in a long long time , probably Holloway ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 138
GrimPol
December 27, 2023, 9:28am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -665
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Chrisblor
He's correct in so far as we had a shitload of opportunities in the first half, mostly ruined by Clifton being indecisive, and also managed to hit both the bar and post and forced their keeper into 3 or 4 very good saves. Both the goals we conceded were self-inflicted - the first came from Rodgers stupidly hanging a lazy leg out to deflect the ball past Cartwright who would have otherwise saved comfortably, and then the second came from a combination of Efete, Conteh and Gnahoua all deciding they couldn't be arsed to close down their midfielder and he punished us with a very good low strike into the corner.

Artell additionally said today that the second half was unacceptable, which is correct. I also have no issue with him saying we're definitely not getting relegated after a poor performance (which came after a string of improved performances) to try and instill confidence in a squad he's inherited which is clearly lacking it. Coming out and slating the players in the media isn't going to lead to improved result and performances, but in today's post match interview he inferred that his feedback behind closed doors to the players had been a lot stronger than what he'd said publicly (which is again the correct thing to do).

Spot on, said it as we saw it.
Whilst some would like DA to take a baseball bat into the post-match review in the changing rooms, he has to temper what he says, as there is the next game to consider.
I wonder how long the list for some new backup players is?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 138
pen penfras
December 27, 2023, 9:35am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from pontoonlew

The worst thing about this post, aside from the fact it’s absolute gibberish, is that 5 people agree with you enough to give you a tick.

There's a post match over reaction, but thinking Artell isn't the right man for this situation isn't completely crazy. He wants to play possession football with players that aren't capable. I understand he wants to play that way, but it should be a project that starts when we're safe and not looking like the 3rd worst team in the league. Even with the sacked manager effect we couldn't beat the bottom 2.

Right now we just need points. It's clear to see that we're not good enough to outplay footballing teams and we're too soft against battling teams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 138
chaos33
December 27, 2023, 9:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from pen penfras

There's a post match over reaction, but thinking Artell isn't the right man for this situation isn't completely crazy. He wants to play possession football with players that aren't capable. I understand he wants to play that way, but it should be a project that starts when we're safe and not looking like the 3rd worst team in the league. Even with the sacked manager effect we couldn't beat the bottom 2.

Right now we just need points. It's clear to see that we're not good enough to outplay footballing teams and we're too soft against battling teams.

Wow. Something you’ve posted I completely agree with.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 138
chaos33
December 27, 2023, 9:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Our present travails have nothing to do with Artell, the way he comes across in interviews or anything else. He has inherited a very poor, disjointed one paced squad. He is doing his best to try to instill some confidence into the players, most of whom he will have to work with for some time yet.

I wish him well because if it really did go belly up would we ever recover?

This really should re emphasise to the owners the only important thing is what happens on the field. What they might want to achieve eventually will have to wait till we have a bit of sustained success on the field.

Good post.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 138
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell’s interviews

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.