Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back Forest Green (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just back Forest Green (merged)

This thread currently has 12,763 views. Print
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
March 2, 2024, 5:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,264
Gold Stars: 236
The ultimate ‘result is more important than the performance’ game. But it’s nice to see out 90 minutes without too many dramas.

The back three all did great, Thompson was excellent and Rose wore his heart on his sleeve as ever. Rodgers deserved MoM for me, back to early season form.

Will enjoy a couple of beers tonight 😎
Private Message
Maringer
March 2, 2024, 5:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
Possibly the shittest game of football that I've ever seen and, though we defended well enough, I thought we were pretty poor all round.

Says a lot about FGR that they weren't even capable of having an effort on target against us, even with two thirds possession, but we'll need to play a lot better than that to keep winning points this season.

Pleased for Rogers who I'd agree was Man of the Match as he did really well for the goal, got his foot in and won his headers well. Let's hope it spurs him on for the rest of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 127
Hagrid
March 2, 2024, 5:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,438
Gold Stars: 536
Wasnt pretty, but we dug in, we were solid, and we got 3 valuable points.

Thought the 3 centre backs had good games, Wilson led the line well but Rose my MOM. A true captains performance leading from the front.

They were a very poor side, and it was simply must win, and we did just that.

Credit to Artell who eventually has dropped his play from the back mantra.

Enjoy your weekends
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 127
Wiley2405
March 2, 2024, 5:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +663
Gold Stars: 20
Thompson, Rose and the CB’s all played well.

It wasn’t pretty and only one shot on target all game which we thankfully scored.

Artell interview good apart from the fact he said the performance is just as important as the result. Our position at this point of the season give me a crap game with a 1-0 win and it being the only shot on target all game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 127
Tommy
March 2, 2024, 5:48pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Did what we had to do to win the game. And that's thay really.

Poor in possession, carried Andrews who was a liability throughout, and Clifton was so wasteful with the ball. But Rodgers excellent at the back.

Probably won't see many games where both keepers have so little to do, but couldn't give a toss. All that was needed today was 3 points and we got them.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 127
spuggybridge
March 2, 2024, 5:50pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +41
Gold Stars: 1
Gritty game, thought they were poor but I'll take the result and a clean sheet which will hopefully give Cartwright a bit of confidence going into the remaining games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 127
headingly_mariner
March 2, 2024, 5:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,379
Gold Stars: 119
Massive win.

Credit to the players and the coaching staff. Not out of it yet, but a huge step.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Wilson I thought he was excellent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 127
chaos33
March 2, 2024, 5:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Danny Rose. All season. 100%. Highest of standards. Just fantastic. God knows where we’d be without him. Thank you Danny. Talk about leading by example. Colossus of a pro.
So, so relieved and grateful for 3 points.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 127
Chrisblor
March 2, 2024, 5:53pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Massive win.

Credit to the players and the coaching staff. Not out of it yet, but a huge step.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Wilson I thought he was excellent.

Yeah Wilson did very well considering the service from midfield to him today was non-existent. If we can sort out the midfield trio and stick with that back 5 (as indecisive as Cartwright looked all match) we might actually have a chance of moving up the table between now and the end of the season.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 127
pontoonlew
March 2, 2024, 5:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Gold Stars: 177
Not a game you’d want to see every week but a result you’d take every week up until the end of April at the minute.

Rose, Mullarkey, Rodgers and Wilson were terrific. The midfield couldn’t string a decent pass between them but at least battled well and the subs did exactly what we needed. Andrews had a shocker first half but credit to him, he was much better in the second.

I don’t think we’ve seen the last of the passing football, nor do I want to see the back of it, but I’ve a strong feeling it won’t return until we’re safe and Artell deems us ready to play it properly. He’s had a lot of abuse, but he’s changed the way we play extremely quickly and done what needed to be done in the circumstances. Sure there’ll be some out there willing him to fail regardless.

An absolutely huge 3 points and hopefully a big step towards avoiding relegation with a chunk of the season left to go, which I’ve always felt we’d do.

One last thing, I couldn’t make it today so watched on iFollow. Tonduer has been the voice of the club for many years but it’s time to hang up the mic. Aside from his horrendous bias towards certain players & digging out others. He very rarely describes the game accurately whatsoever, the poor people listening on the radio are hearing something completely different to the reality.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 127
Hagrid
March 2, 2024, 5:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Incredibly biased interview by their manager who described them as miles better than us and they deserved to win.

Didnt have a shot on target you clown
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 127
Jarmo.Is.God
March 2, 2024, 6:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
2 poor teams on display really, but we got the job done
I love Rose, he just gets it
Thompson made a few silly mistakes but looks a good player.
Defence was solid.

Special mention for Wilson, who's hardly played but looked very good IMO. Held the ball up well, good first touch, and give Keogh problems all game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 127
moosey_club
March 2, 2024, 6:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
3 Points. Awful watch...Good defensively in the final third.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 127
LH
March 2, 2024, 6:05pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,535
Gold Stars: 173
Great battling performance from everyone and a significant win given the opponents and Colchester having not played. It wasn’t pretty and we’ll need to be better against most of the rest of our opponents to get anything but the result is what counted. Rose was outstanding today - he ended up in a brown and black striped shirt!
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 127
ROKERITE
March 2, 2024, 6:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from moosey_club
3 Points. Awful watch...Good defensively in the final third.

That was your first clean sheet at Blundell Park since 2nd September. After the frightening number of goals conceded at home this calendar year what a relief.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 127
GrimRob
March 2, 2024, 6:11pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,420
Gold Stars: 113
This was the real Grimsby Way. Digging in and grafting a result. We wasted time very well and the ref should have added a lot more on than he did.The FGR attendance spoke volumes for how relegation matters to their little community. Be great if they and Colchester go down.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 127
chipsandgravy
March 2, 2024, 6:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,614
Gold Stars: 37
Never wanted a game to end so much in my life. Can't really add to what most posters have put but when I remember some of the midfield's we have had here - today's literally made me want to weep.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 127
Phil the cod
March 2, 2024, 6:23pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
It's a bit unfair on forest green tbh, they came to play football and were by far the better side.
The reason why they are down there though is they over play and pretty football only gets you so far if no shots on target come from it.
That said, I think they will be fine and Sutton and Colchester will go down.
Thought Danny rose was immense as usual and if ever player of the season was nailed on its this year.
He should be at least in league one if not higher, how we've got him is a mystery.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 127
March 2, 2024, 6:23pm
Guest User
Quoted from Hagrid
Incredibly biased interview by their manager who described them as miles better than us and they deserved to win.

He’s never liked us. So fúck him!
Reply: 18 - 127
lew chaterleys lover
March 2, 2024, 6:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Gold Stars: 237
The win was everything and we got it, but my God we have a lot of work to do in the summer, assuming we survive. How on earth (Hurst primarily) put that squad together I will never know.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 127
Hagrid
March 2, 2024, 6:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Phil the cod
It's a bit unfair on forest green tbh, they came to play football and were by far the better side.
The reason why they are down there though is they over play and pretty football only gets you so far if no shots on target come from it.
That said, I think they will be fine and Sutton and Colchester will go down.
Thought Danny rose was immense as usual and if ever player of the season was nailed on its this year.
He should be at least in league one if not higher, how we've got him is a mystery.

How you can be the better side when you dont have a shot on target. You deserve nothing.

2 poor sides, we won.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 127
TonySmith
March 2, 2024, 6:41pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 11
   A Great result but what a depressing performance! Yes, the three points are absolutely the most important thing, and we were obviously set up to keep it tight at the back rather than create much up front, but I have to be honest, Forest Green looked like a much better footballing side than we did in that game. Their passing didn't lead to anything in the end thanks to some dogged defending, but they were finding their men much better than Town's players were. I think a lot more flair going forward, use of the flanks, and accurate passing through midfield are going to be called for in future games or we should be prepared for a lot of 1-0 defeats.  
    This season I will settle for finishing 22nd. Anything better will be a bonus.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 127
Yoda
March 2, 2024, 6:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,141
Gold Stars: 71
Our passing is shocking poor performance great result
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 127
arryarryarry
March 2, 2024, 6:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,036
Gold Stars: 116
Great goal, great 3 points and one of the worst games of football I've seen in along time.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 127
MuddyWaters
March 2, 2024, 6:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Would like to see Liam Smith back in on Tuesday, Harry back in midfield if at all.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 127
sonofmadeleymariner
March 2, 2024, 6:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
It wasn't pretty, it was a hard grind we probably made harder for ourselves, but I'll take 13 more just like it if it means we get the same result each time for the rest of the season.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 127
davmariner
March 2, 2024, 6:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Wasn’t a pretty game as others have said but an important win. Nice to be able to say we defended well - I definitely think three at the back suits us and the centre halves we have.

Thought Clifton struggled at times as did Thompson and Andrews and I think there may be a fitness issue with the latter two (though Andrews’ delivery from set pieces was decent).

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 127
Lincspoacher
March 2, 2024, 6:58pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +303
Gold Stars: 15
Firstly, I would have taken a crap 1-0 win before the game 100%.

I know this and also know that this was a game where 3 points was the only thing that matters. It gives us a free swing at Wimbledon on Tuesday and hopefully the lads will relax a bit and play better.

However, there is a but at the back of my mind.

It was an awful game of football to watch and we are definitely not in a false position ( that said, neither is FGR)

But if I was a FGR fan watching that, I would be seriously frustrated that they dominated play, played much netter than us and despite getting into great positions at least 10 times, their final ball was garbage. Thankfully.

Rose - you are a star
3 CB’s - well done, you did your job today.

Clifton and Hume - ur distributions was poor.

What has happened to Clifton?

His first touch was so bad again today and he got himself and the team into trouble a couple of times by not being able to control the ball and then having to lunge into challenges as it bounced away from him.

I wasn’t overly impressed by Thompson today either, he looked less mobile than we need and fingers crossed it’s just match fitness?

Andrew’s was also poor as well and Holohan also had one of his less impressive games.

We started 3-5-2 but after we scored. It was definitely 5-3-2 and we were overrun in midfield.

However, I am travelling to Wimbledon on Tuesday and do feel better with these 3 points in the bag.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 127
1mickylyons
March 2, 2024, 7:01pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
Credit to DA today got his tactics bang on .Town's midfield where shocking but the back 5 Rose and Wilson all played like lions .Have to give the fans Credit today as well all 4 stands did the team proud especially the last 20 mins when the players needed the lift.Not pretty I don't care its 3 points and nothing else matters. Well done All
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 127
Boonsy
March 2, 2024, 7:02pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +61
Gold Stars: 2
In all honesty an awful game between two awful football teams.  That really was at best a poor to mediocre national league game. Bloody terrible game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 127
CSLM
March 2, 2024, 7:04pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
Definitely wasn't pretty but a massive result. How he only added 4 minutes on at the end I'll never know, we were proper shithouses, I would've been fuming if it was the other way round. Cartwright should've been booked in my opinion but all good, if you can't beat em join em and all that.

Thought Thompson looked pretty good. I still feel like there is a decent player there in Andrews, some terrible moments but he kept going and did some decent things second half.
Surprised nobody has mentioned Hume, he looks a cut above this level.

Great passion at the end there by everyone, especially from Tharme. Mullarkey looked much more comfortable and hats off to Danny Rose, incredible effort and desire. I was a bit worried he might miss one of those challenges but luckily no problem.

We need to be much better on the ball but I think Artell will improve us on that front. Nice to have a Saturday night without all of the anger and arguments. Saying that we certainly need to improve but getting the result was the most important thing today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 127
LocalLadGTFC
March 2, 2024, 7:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,229
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from CSLM
Definitely wasn't pretty but a massive result. How he only added 4 minutes on at the end I'll never know, we were proper shithouses, I would've been fuming if it was the other way round. Cartwright should've been booked in my opinion but all good, if you can't beat em join em and all that.

Thought Thompson looked pretty good. I still feel like there is a decent player there in Andrews, some terrible moments but he kept going and did some decent things second half.
Surprised nobody has mentioned Hume, he looks a cut above this level.

Great passion at the end there by everyone, especially from Tharme. Mullarkey looked much more comfortable and hats off to Danny Rose, incredible effort and desire. I was a bit worried he might miss one of those challenges but luckily no problem.

We need to be much better on the ball but I think Artell will improve us on that front. Nice to have a Saturday night without all of the anger and arguments. Saying that we certainly need to improve but getting the result was the most important thing today.

You say about the no arguements stuff whilst Niall Maher is calling out Town fans on twitter...
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 127
oochiad
March 2, 2024, 7:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from Hagrid

Yes I’ve just listened to it. It’s funny their game on Thursday they scored an early goal and then defending for the rest of the game, just like today except of course Wrexham got the equaliser which they didn’t manage. He was a melt all game with his complaining, good old Steve member-erall 😂🤣😂🤣
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 127
Phil the cod
March 2, 2024, 7:19pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

How you can be the better side when you dont have a shot on target. You deserve nothing.

2 poor sides, we won.

They looked in control of the game and did most of the attacking play.
They could pass to each other, run past our players like they were stood still.
The reason they had no shots was due to the fact we threw bodies at them in a last ditch heroic defensive Alamo style siege.
We at no stage looked in control of the game and the ball came back at us time after time.
If their forwards could shoot straight we'd of been turned over
Our keeper gives me heart palpitations every time the ball comes anywhere near him.
Let's not forget we had one shot on target in 90 minutes football,at home, against the bottom team in league 2 .
Before we get too ecstatic.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 127
1mickylyons
March 2, 2024, 7:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Phil the cod

The reason they had no shots was due to the fact we threw bodies at them in a last ditch heroic defensive Alamo style siege.
We at no stage looked in control of the game and the ball came back at us time after time.
Our keeper gives me heart palpitations every time the ball comes anywhere near him.
Let's not forget we had one shot on target in 90 minutes football,at home, against the bottom team in league 2 .
Before we get too ecstatic.

They're 2nd bottom
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 127
GrimPol
March 2, 2024, 7:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -676
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Hagrid

2 poor sides, we won.

It's one of those games where we don't if we were better than them, or if they were worse than us.
I'm still pinching myself as other results around us just fell into place.
God was a Mariner today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 127
bawarmy
March 2, 2024, 7:53pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,020
Gold Stars: 33
Not particularly impressed with Maher’s comments on twitter
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 127
mariner91
March 2, 2024, 7:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

You say about the no arguements stuff whilst Niall Maher is calling out Town fans on twitter...

The laughable part about him calling out Town fans is he’s doing it saying criticism of Andrews is wrong and that he’s been doing well apparently. He’s a central midfielder who managed to complete less than 30% of his passes today playing against the 2nd worst team in the FL. If he’s played well today, I’d hate to see him have a stinker.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 127
HerveJosse
March 2, 2024, 7:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
That was more Paul Hurst then any Paul Hurst performance . My last visit to the dentist passed quicker minute for minute. Three points is what mattered but we can’t go into next season with this set up. I would still hoof the lot out ( Rose excepted).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 127
Hagrid
March 2, 2024, 7:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

The laughable part about him calling out Town fans is he’s doing it saying criticism of Andrews is wrong and that he’s been doing well apparently. He’s a central midfielder who managed to complete less than 30% of his passes today playing against the 2nd worst team in the FL. If he’s played well today, I’d hate to see him have a stinker.

Very stupid of him. I mean intercourse me, we’ve been hammered for the last 2 months and he’s not said a word
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 127
pontoonlew
March 2, 2024, 7:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Quoted from bawarmy

He’s defending a young lad (Andrews) who’s had some harsh stick recently, not the overall performances from the squad.

People happy to giving it to individuals yet kick off on Twitter when a player dares to defend them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 127
Jarmo.Is.God
March 2, 2024, 7:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from bawarmy

He's sticking up for a colleague, which is fine I guess...
The thing that really really annoys me, is these players have been silent on Twitter for weeks, and now come out giving it.... Be happy with the result, we all are, but don't give it the big one over our 1st home win since 9th December

Anyway, let's not turn this into a negative thread, we did what we needed to do
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 127
StacyColdicotts_hairline
March 2, 2024, 7:58pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Approval: +203
Good performance up until the goal.

Then we defended the 1-0 lead.

Awful spectacle but who cares, those 3 points against a relegation rival will turn out to be crucial.

I though Rose and Thompson had good games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 127
gtfc98
March 2, 2024, 8:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from Tommy
Did what we had to do to win the game. And that's thay really.

Poor in possession, carried Andrews who was a liability throughout, and Clifton was so wasteful with the ball. But Rodgers excellent at the back.

Probably won't see many games where both keepers have so little to do, but couldn't give a toss. All that was needed today was 3 points and we got them.

But according to Naill Maher, Andrews "silenced the critics" today. He was the worst player on the pitch and should have been replaced by Wood who showed last week that he can pick up the ball and get us up the pitch.

Back 3 were great today, wish Cartwright would come off his line for balls a bit more. Thompson and Hollohan did the important stuff in the middle and Hume is looking a real coup on the left. Rose did what Rose does and Wilson was a decent outlet alongside him. Like others have said it wasn't pretty but we got the job done. If we can somehow get another 4 points this week things might not be looking so precarious.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 127
davmariner
March 2, 2024, 8:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Not bothered about Maher’s comments and I don’t think any other fan should be. He should however, focus on his own performances which haven’t exactly been great this season.

Because as it stands, whether we go down or not, the likelihood is that he’s heading back to the National League.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 127
Hagrid
March 2, 2024, 8:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Very stupid of him. I mean intercourse me, we’ve been hammered for the last 2 months and he’s not said a word
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 127
fishcake63
March 2, 2024, 8:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Awful game but 3 points was all that mattered , said weeks ago & got red crosses galore maher was the issue cant head a ball cant defend last two games without him starting to prove a point , rodgers & waterfall took the flak for him in my opinion
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 127
HerveJosse
March 2, 2024, 8:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Hagrid

Maher been here 2 years so contract presumambly up in May . Nowhere near good enough so probably on his way. . Playing rather then tweeting would probably member up his whiplash compo so let’s have a go at the fans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 127
Mappers
March 2, 2024, 8:23pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,341
Credit to the players today and bigger credit to Artell - it was messy ,scrappy and ugly - qualities  that get you results in league 2 .

I think we have to give Artell praise because of the wilingness to change , I thought he was too stuborn and would continue doing things his way taking us down in the process  or getting removed from situ relatively quickly .

Keep doing the basics well and we will stay up comfortably imo

I thought Rose and Wilson did well , it makes things so much easier for Rose when there is someone to share the load with up top .

I actually really like Wilson as a player (I know he has not been on the pitch enough + likely won't be here next season )
He reminds me a touch of Michael Boulding (without that electric pace he had , although Wilson looks no slouch ) in that he can stretch the play well , offering that different threat in behind and the opposition something different to think about .

The back 5 which it ended up being most of the game all deserve a mention Rodgers looked somewhere near the player we thought he was early door , Mullarkey looks much better in that right sided CB role and Tharme looked solid . Hume is obviously a good player and  Harry showed how he can do a competent job anywhere aslong as it's not CM .

I don't want to be negative so will leave midfield out of the discussion .

Great 3 points and a 'free hit ' now against Wimbledon on Tuesday , could we manage back to back wins ?

Stranger thing's have happened
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 127
ska face
March 2, 2024, 8:52pm

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,664
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Phil the cod

lmao what absolute garbage - they were as bad us. They had zero sustained pressure, zero shots on target, were allowed to pass the ball across the back line as they never did anything with it. No idea why they were looking to Keogh as some kind of lynchpin - he’s a 37-year-old former Championship defender, not a fit & mobile midfielder fresh out the Prem.

McAllister looked a bright spark at times but that’s all he was, a spark. Never felt like we were stretched, partly due to the formation, and anytime they had the opportunity to cross the ball they never had any quality.

Honestly couldn’t care less about the performance, we’ve spent all season saying good performances are meaningless if you don’t get any points at the end of it.

Thought Wilson did really well at times and shows what we’ve been missing in terms of another option up top & support for Rose.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 127
UTMariners
March 2, 2024, 8:59pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +424
Gold Stars: 6
Couldn’t make today but really pleased to hear they were quite poor as Tondeur had them sounding like Barcelona on the radio. Clearly we aren’t great but sounds like they are similar so hopefully they aren’t going to start picking up lots of points. So good to hear we did a job on them when it’s usually other teams doing that to us. UTM. Lots of beers tonight.

"My love, my heart, my soul, my life.  My beloved Club Grimsby."

Salford Mariner

Join the Trust!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 127
grimps
March 2, 2024, 9:01pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from GrimRob
This was the real Grimsby Way. Digging in and grafting a result. We wasted time very well and the ref should have added a lot more on than he did.The FGR attendance spoke volumes for how relegation matters to their little community. Be great if they and Colchester go down.

Yeah hopefully we’ll see the last of them at the end of this season , they’ve added now value at all to the league and other then being one man’s play thing they won’t be missed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 127
arryarryarry
March 2, 2024, 9:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Haven't heard it but to be fair in terms of possession and passing I thought they were better than us but had zero threat up front.

On that display both teams look like they should go down and I still don't have faith in Artell keeping us up just that hopefully 2 teams get less points than we do.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 127
HertsGTFC
March 2, 2024, 9:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
I’d not enjoy it but if we can have another 5 of them before the end of the season I could live with it.

Shape was much better at the back and you could see they’d been working on what to do out of possession.

At last some grit, determination & resilience.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 127
nickmariners
March 2, 2024, 10:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from chaos33
Danny Rose. All season. 100%. Highest of standards. Just fantastic. God knows where we’d be without him. Thank you Danny. Talk about leading by example. Colossus of a pro.
So, so relieved and grateful for 3 points.

He's the epitome of the Engergizer Bunny player. Never shirked a tackle. Always available for a pass.  Great in attack AND defence.

Plastered in mud by half time - he was really getting stuck in. Proper captain's performance.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 127
diehardmariner
March 2, 2024, 10:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
Few comments about Clifton and his distribution are fair, but I think we benefit so much more from having his energy there than we're hindered by his wayward crossing.  We're simply not exposed down the flanks as much now.

Rose and Wilson outstanding. Didn't really think of Wilson as the targetman type but he showed second half he can do it and do it very well. Gives an extra dynamic to our attack and allows Rose to be more of the 10 than both the 9 and 10.

Plenty piling in on him but I thought Andrews was really poor again. Easy to forget he's a young lad but so little came off for him today and he manages to flounder about the play an awful lot without ever getting involved in it.

Win is a win and that's all that counts. But intercourse me that was painful to watch. Like two bald blokes fighting over a comb. Two awful sides scrapping to find out who is the least excrement.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 127
MuddyWaters
March 2, 2024, 10:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Few comments about Clifton and his distribution are fair, but I think we benefit so much more from having his energy there than we're hindered by his wayward crossing.  We're simply not exposed down the flanks as much now.

Rose and Wilson outstanding. Didn't really think of Wilson as the targetman type but he showed second half he can do it and do it very well. Gives an extra dynamic to our attack and allows Rose to be more of the 10 than both the 9 and 10.

Plenty piling in on him but I thought Andrews was really poor again. Easy to forget he's a young lad but so little came off for him today and he manages to flounder about the play an awful lot without ever getting involved in it.

Win is a win and that's all that counts. But intercourse me that was painful to watch. Like two bald blokes fighting over a comb. Two awful sides scrapping to find out who is the least excrement.

Really don’t like the Twitter scrap tonight, not a good look, best that Andrews and, more importantly, Maher keep quiet.

We won, that’s great, but this season has been shite, mostly due to abysmal recruitment and the only vague comfort is that there’s two potentially worse than us.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 127
ginnywings
March 2, 2024, 11:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Just back from the pub and where we had celebrations instead of commiserations for a change.

Thought that was one of the worst performances I can remember from a Town side, with some of the worst control, passing and defensive clearances in many a season. We were abysmal at times and barely ever got more than three or four passes completed before giving up possession. Our throw ins were embarrassing at times too.

FGR looked way better on the ball than us and kept it from us far too easily, but ultimately, Cartwright left the pitch as clean as he entered it and didn't have a save to make all game, so credit to the back five who protected him superbly, and were matched by the effort and endeavour of the two forwards. They totally made up for a truly shocking midfield, who worked hard, but had very little else to offer. Some of their passing and decision making was worryingly bad. Andrews is and was getting loads of stick, but he wasn't any worse than the others. Thompson has great touch and technique, but he was dead on his feet after 40 mins and could barely run. Holohan was like a headless chicken with passing to match but the result will paper over all those cracks tonight.

This felt like a cup tie, and I was concerned that one of only two teams below us looked much better at football than we did, but they had no goal threat whatsoever, which probably explains why they are one of the only teams below us.

Dreadful performance football wise, but the heart and character got us through and it all felt a bit like a PH type backs to the wall win, but who cares, we had to win and we did, which greatly enhances our survival chances. They now have to win three more games than us with the season running out fast.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 127
Poojah
March 2, 2024, 11:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,606
Gold Stars: 1,503
I’ve not much too add that hasn’t already been said. Was today the kind of home performance that people are going to watch over the course of a season? No. Does it matter? Not in the slightest. I’ve been very clear how important I felt this game was; to win it is absolutely huge not just in terms of this season but the long-term club’s future.

I wanted Artell gone after the Donny capitulation. I felt it would be absolute madness to let him preside over a game of such magnitude with the glaring issues we’ve seen in recent weeks, but today he displayed a level of pragmatism I didn’t think he had in him. Gone was the playing out from the back, the badly executed press and the poor impersonation of a passing side.

It was ugly, but we did everything we hadn’t been doing at home. We kept a proper defensive shape, we were dogged, and we defended a lead to keep a clean sheet. I’d have taken that before the game.

Forest Green were poorer than I expected them to be. I had been nervous about the threat of Christian Doidge before the game, but he was absolutely anonymous. Richard Keogh looked old, slow and grossly overweight for a professional footballer.

Ultimately, there’s still a long way to go, but today’s result takes a little bit of pressure off in the short-term. We can’t afford to rest on our laurels, we have to kick-on from this, but I feel markedly more relaxed about our circumstances than I did 24 hours ago.

Oh, and here’s a photo I took of a rainbow over BP. I’ll that as a good omen for the future.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 127
Mayaman
March 3, 2024, 12:53am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
I agree Clifton's distribution was poor but he put a shift in.  He also hassled and harried.  Not sure Rose played well (this will make me unpopular).  He went down to easily, fouled too much and I didn't hear is name in the first 15  to twenty minutes. His running was good and he popped up to defend frequently as usual. Rodgers and Wilson had a good game.  Still no idea why Obikwu wasn't at least on the bench.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 127
Mariner93er
March 3, 2024, 1:13am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,738
Gold Stars: 28
Did what we needed to and showed a grit we've lacked this season, but thoroughly detested the fact we had to turn to anti-football, every man behind the ball - it was necessary, but I'm so sick of season after season in this shitty league of scrapping for our lives.

Shout out to Tharme who has made a big difference over the last couple of games, adding some physicality we've lacked and we've looked much better at defending crosses with him in there. I actually think it's his leadership qualities that have made a massive difference, though, adding another voice on the pitch that we were sorely lacking, especially at the back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 127
toontown
March 3, 2024, 1:35am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Mariner93er
Did what we needed to and showed a grit we've lacked this season, but thoroughly detested the fact we had to turn to anti-football, every man behind the ball - it was necessary, but I'm so sick of season after season in this shitty league of scrapping for our lives.

Shout out to Tharme who has made a big difference over the last couple of games, adding some physicality we've lacked and we've looked much better at defending crosses with him in there. I actually think it's his leadership qualities that have made a massive difference, though, adding another voice on the pitch that we were sorely lacking, especially at the back.

Yeah fair play to Tharme, whilst he isn't exactly setting the world on fire he does look an improvement on our CBs (low bar admittedly) and he is doing a lot of talking and organising during games which I think we've needed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 127
Yoda
March 3, 2024, 3:39am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,141
Gold Stars: 71
Passing was really poor i thought Holohan had a shocking game he came off the pitch cleaner than when he went on shirked a lot of tackles Andrews had his best game for us.
Wilson looked dead on his feet after 25 minutes Pyke is a far better player than him bigger puts himself about a bit.
One thing baffles me why can we not clear balls down the pitch we only seem to kick it 20 yards and invite pressure straight back on us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 127
GtfcGarner
March 3, 2024, 4:02am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,786
Gold Stars: 26
A really ugly game of football but the most vital thing came of it - 3 points!

Having watched us this season we just look so poor when it comes to passing the ball or taking ball in the midfield, other teams seem to do it with ease just knocking it about. It seems we are a yard-off or don't have a plan what to do with the ball when it comes into feet. I think the summer (depending on if we do stay up), the midfield will be ripped apart and hopefully replaced with quality. Thompson who's come in looks to have something about him, a more polished and better footballing version of Green.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 127
Terry duckworth
March 3, 2024, 7:36am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: -43
Could people stop creaming ther underpants about  Danny rose ?
Very decent player in one of the most dreadful teams I’ve seen in nearly 40 years . Great 3 points yesterday and hopefully be safe with a few more wins but how did we get as poor as this . I reckon I could have played yesterday and nobody would have noticed . Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 127
barrattstandman
March 3, 2024, 7:48am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +482
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Lincspoacher
Firstly, I would have taken a crap 1-0 win before the game 100%.

I know this and also know that this was a game where 3 points was the only thing that matters. It gives us a free swing at Wimbledon on Tuesday and hopefully the lads will relax a bit and play better.

However, there is a but at the back of my mind.

It was an awful game of football to watch and we are definitely not in a false position ( that said, neither is FGR)

But if I was a FGR fan watching that, I would be seriously frustrated that they dominated play, played much netter than us and despite getting into great positions at least 10 times, their final ball was garbage. Thankfully.

Rose - you are a star
3 CB’s - well done, you did your job today.

Clifton and Hume - ur distributions was poor.

What has happened to Clifton?

His first touch was so bad again today and he got himself and the team into trouble a couple of times by not being able to control the ball and then having to lunge into challenges as it bounced away from him.

I wasn’t overly impressed by Thompson today either, he looked less mobile than we need and fingers crossed it’s just match fitness?

Andrew’s was also poor as well and Holohan also had one of his less impressive games.

We started 3-5-2 but after we scored. It was definitely 5-3-2 and we were overrun in midfield.

However, I am travelling to Wimbledon on Tuesday and do feel better with these 3 points in the bag.

UTM

I think you have it wrong with your line up.  When we are on the attack we play 3-5-2. When not on attack  5-3-2 .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 127
jonnyboy82
March 3, 2024, 8:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Horrible game of football but vital vital 3 points. Rose was immense as usual, the whole team grafted but again I'm not sure what Jamie Andrews offers us ? He never gets into the game,  I'm not sure what his role is meant to be because this might sound harsh but it's like playing with 10 men sometimes.

Anyway that's my main gripe , the effort and commitment in the defence was superb. FGR are a Horrible club so it made it even sweeter, I hope they go down.

I think we will be ok but certainly we have a massive massive job in the summer to get a team together.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 127
Mike_67
March 3, 2024, 9:06am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +52
Ugly game but the defensive doggedness got us the result.

We were effectively playing 6 at the back when they got over the halfway line with Clifton, Hulme and Thompson dropping deep. FGR used width as much as possible making really hard work for Holohan and Andrews to get on to them effectively and also very difficult if we won possession in the middle as there were very few immediate options.

Not pretty but it worked today and that was always going to be the most important thing for this match.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 127
chaos33
March 3, 2024, 9:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Terry duckworth
Very decent player in one of the most dreadful teams I’ve seen in nearly 40 years . Great 3 points yesterday and hopefully be safe with a few more wins but how did we get as poor as this . I reckon I could have played yesterday and nobody would have noticed . Utm

‘Creaming their underpants’? What are you, 13?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 127
Jarmo.Is.God
March 3, 2024, 9:41am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Terry duckworth

You're just after a nibble, and I'll give you one...

The lad has had one of his best scoring season in a very poor team. He runs more than anyone I can remember in a town shirt.
He's a pain to defenders and gives them no time on the ball, instead of just standing off like most. He's passionate, even when we are playing crap, not just winning.
He's a real shithouse of a player. I'll admit I hated him when he was at Mansfield, for the exact same reasons I love him here.
He just gets it and he's already a hero for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 127
quebec38
March 3, 2024, 9:42am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,587
Gold Stars: 48
Not pretty but more importantly took all three points just about sums up yesterday. I actually agreed with their manager in that they probably had the better of the ball across two thirds of the pitch but they literally did nothing in the all important final third. We did, and what a cracking finish it was from Rodgers.

We weren’t spectacular but I did think we were fairly solid apart from in the middle again, which barely comes as any surprise. Thompson did well screening the defence but he had little in front of him in Holohan and Andrews, but that’s what we have to work with until the end of April. Credit to all players though for battling all game. Something we have been lacking lately.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 127
Spurn boy
March 3, 2024, 9:48am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,240
Gold Stars: 29
If yesterday was your very first football match you had been to watch you would never go again, the 3 points was the most important result but the game was awful. I know the wind didn’t help but what happened to all our midfield playmakers? it was just boot it upfield anyhow and anywhere and hope it found one of our players. I know DA said pre match they had changed a few things but that was a totally different way of playing to the Morecambe game that we almost won. Hopefully yesterday’s result will allow us to actually play football that we can enjoy watching. UTM

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 127
GibMariner
March 3, 2024, 10:24am
Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
Got us out of jail and masks a lot, but onwards and upwards UTMM
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 127
Eastendmariner
March 3, 2024, 10:29am
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
Rolled their sleeves socks underpants up and ground out a clean sheet. It was a dire game. One of the worst I’ve seen at BP  from a Towns point of view. But as you know the only thing that matters to us is the result UTM

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 127
Eastendmariner
March 3, 2024, 10:30am
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
Rolled their sleeves socks underpants up and ground out a clean sheet. It was a dire game. One of the worst I’ve seen at BP  from a Towns point of view. But as you know the only thing that matters to us is the result UTM

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 127
Phil the cod
March 3, 2024, 10:54am
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from ska face

lmao what absolute garbage - they were as bad us. They had zero sustained pressure, zero shots on target, were allowed to pass the ball across the back line as they never did anything with it. No idea why they were looking to Keogh as some kind of lynchpin - he’s a 37-year-old former Championship defender, not a fit & mobile midfielder fresh out the Prem.

McAllister looked a bright spark at times but that’s all he was, a spark. Never felt like we were stretched, partly due to the formation, and anytime they had the opportunity to cross the ball they never had any quality.

Honestly couldn’t care less about the performance, we’ve spent all season saying good performances are meaningless if you don’t get any points at the end of it.

Thought Wilson did really well at times and shows what we’ve been missing in terms of another option up top & support for Rose.

What game were you watching? Thier number 46 and 7 were by far the best players on the pitch.
Rose put a great shift in as did most of the lads but to say they were as bad as us is stretching it tbh, everyone around us thought they would score a couple and beat us such was Thier possession of the ball especially in the second half, we ground it out in a last ditch lives depended on it battle, but there was only one team wanting to play football.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 127
Hagrid
March 3, 2024, 11:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Phil the cod

What game were you watching? Thier number 46 and 7 were by far the best players on the pitch.
Rose put a great shift in as did most of the lads but to say they were as bad as us is stretching it tbh, everyone around us thought they would score a couple and beat us such was Thier possession of the ball especially in the second half, we ground it out in a last ditch lives depended on it battle, but there was only one team wanting to play football.

Well everyone around you should get out a bit more. They didnt have a shot on target, they didnt even have a half chance in the second half

They were excrement and we won.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 127
MuddyWaters
March 3, 2024, 11:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Phil the cod

You’ve just made a very important point.

Their 46 and 7 did exactly what Artell has accused Hunt of doing- looking ‘nice’ but having no end product. They played nice football but they lost. They didn’t even manage a shot on target.
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 127
marinerjase
March 3, 2024, 11:08am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,656
Gold Stars: 147
Both teams showed why they are where they are imho. We didn’t do anything after getting in front, confidence/fragility/fear/forgotten how to win etc factors.. yes FGR had all the possession, but created nothing. Didn’t hurt us once. We defended slightly better but their lack of quality in final ball as much a factor. McAllister stuck to the touchline second half helped us massively. First half he was all over the place. The no 46 was gangly, awkward..but not impressive. And the no 3 was an absolute embarrassment..that dice in first half just one example. Spent most of the game on the ground.

We got the win..that’s all that matters. For now.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 127
sam gy
March 3, 2024, 11:51am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
How was Hulme yesterday? Seems to be a much more solid all round option at left back/wing back..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 127
TownSNAFU5
March 3, 2024, 11:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42

The win yesterday should be used as a base to look at catching teams above us. Donney - maybe.

However, we have 3 games in hand on Salford, who lost at home yesterday 2-0.  Their new manager bounce seems to have come  to an end.   7 points from 3 games would see us go above them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 127
HertsGTFC
March 3, 2024, 11:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
The approach was the right approach for yesterday, I wonder if it will be applied or as effective when we play better sides?

Like I’ve said on another post I’ll take another 5 or 6 I’d take another 5/6 of those though.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 127
wiggers
March 3, 2024, 12:14pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 11
I thought Wilson did really well. Tharm decent too. Midfield was poor, but such a vital win. Still think we’ve gone backwards under Artell, but if we stay up maybe with different players he can get us playing….
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 127
March 3, 2024, 12:43pm
Guest User
I suspect nerves had an effect on yesterday. To say it’s been tense over the last 6 weeks or so is an understatement. Hopefully we might start to click a bit more now.
Reply: 83 - 127
Zmariner
March 3, 2024, 12:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Approval: +2,130
Gold Stars: 44
Okay, an abysmal game of football but it is Sunday and i dare Look at the league table. Walked out of Blundell  park. Happy, don’t give a toss about how we win, it is a hell of a lot easier to stay in this league than get back into it. Staying up is as good as promotion.

Well done, Doug Tharme, he made the difference for me. He was rough and crude and exactly what we need.
Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 127
AncientExiledMariner
March 3, 2024, 12:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Andrews had a bit of a pasting yesterday due to poor passing, so I'm going to share some stats (don't tell Lew).

Andrews - 8 duels won. 5 recoveries. 5 defensive actions.
Thompson - 7 duels won. 9 recoveries. 9 defensive actions.
Holahan - 4 duels won. 3 recoveries. 6 defensive actions.

Clifton - 5 duels. 14 defensive actions.
Hume -  2 duels. 3 defensive actions.

https://www.fotmob.com/en-GB/matches/forest-green-rovers-vs-grimsby-town/393ttl#4203749

Andrews off the ball stats don't look that bad. Better than Fishy favourite Holahan. Thompson did really well considering he went off at 76 minutes. No wonder he was knackered. Did more in that time than some did in 90 minutes.

Harry Clifton for all the stick he has has massive balls. Off the ball, an absolute monster. No wonder he keeps getting picked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 127
Mappers
March 3, 2024, 1:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Andrews had a bit of a pasting yesterday due to poor passing, so I'm going to share some stats (don't tell Lew).

Andrews - 8 duels won. 5 recoveries. 5 defensive actions.
Thompson - 7 duels won. 9 recoveries. 9 defensive actions.
Holahan - 4 duels won. 3 recoveries. 6 defensive actions.

Clifton - 5 duels. 14 defensive actions.
Hume -  2 duels. 3 defensive actions.

https://www.fotmob.com/en-GB/matches/forest-green-rovers-vs-grimsby-town/393ttl#4203749

Andrews off the ball stats don't look that bad. Better than Fishy favourite Holahan. Thompson did really well considering he went off at 76 minutes. No wonder he was knackered. Did more in that time than some did in 90 minutes.

Harry Clifton for all the stick he has has massive balls. Off the ball, an absolute monster. No wonder he keeps getting picked.

I don't get the dissing of Clifton by some , he's not likely ever to be a great central midfielder nor would I ask him to be . But his energy & versatility is something any club would take  at this level surely . Seems like wingback is a position that suits his game aswell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 127
AncientExiledMariner
March 3, 2024, 1:14pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from Mappers

I don't get the dissing of Clifton by some , he's not likely ever to be a great central midfielder nor would I ask him to be . But his energy & versatility is something any club would take  at this level surely . Seems like wingback is a position that suits his game aswell.

Definitely. I'd love to get to the point where we have enough all round players we don't need him in the first 11, but for me, he's probably the 2nd or 3rd name on the teamsheet (maybe Rose, Thompson, Clifton), so we are a long long way off that. Clifton is a player most managers would love to have. "We've got 2/3 people out in this position? intercourse. Harry can do it!". He's also a excrement to play against. He's given no opposition an easy ride. Even if he doesn't shine, he takes the shine off opposition players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 127
MarinerDevil
March 3, 2024, 1:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,783
Gold Stars: 80
Credit to the players for digging out a much needed win but it's far from over yet. FGR were poor at creating chances but Cotterill has made them harder to beat and if they can sustain their recent improvement I can see them picking up points in the next few games. Our next 6 games are probably the toughest of our run-in:

Wimbledon (A)
Sutton (A)
MK Dons (H)
Gillingham (A)
Wrexham (H)
Barrow (A)

If we can get through that run of games without too much damage then we should be fine. We obviously need to beat Sutton, and I'd be delighted with 2 wins and a draw.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 127
Maringer
Barley Wine Drinker
Clifton worked hard yesterday, but his distribution and even his ability to control the ball was absolutely dismal. Same goes for Holohan who was clearly berating himself throughout the game for not playing at all well.

However, they both put enough of a shift in to stop the opposition doing anything too threatening, so effective enough on the day.

They will both need to play a lot better during the rest of the season if we're going to be playing a bit more football than that. Both are capable of it, if not exactly brilliant ball players.

I thought their No. 27 looked very solid in the middle yesterday. Tall, strong in the air and with a decent touch, he rarely lost possession and kept moving the ball on. I was surprised when they took him off near the end. I thought it was a bit odd that he was the one tasked with trying to obstruct Cartwright when they had a corner and the lad that replaced him was very much smaller, but took over the obstructing role!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 127
TownSNAFU5
Vodka Drinker
Danny is also immensely quick.  He half-robbed the ball off Keogh (in front of the Osmond) when he was a fair distance away.  Keogh looked stunned.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 127
TownSNAFU5
Vodka Drinker
Danny is also immensely quick.  He half-robbed the ball off Keogh (in front of the Osmond) when he was a fair distance away.  Keogh looked stunned.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 127
Maringer
March 3, 2024, 1:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I don't think it's as much that he is particularly quick (though he's not slow), just that his movement is good and he has a good instinct for running towards where the ball is going to be. He did a great job defensively yesterday and I can't complain that he didn't do much at the other end of the field as the front two had pretty much no support from the midfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 127
Northbank Mariner
March 3, 2024, 3:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,492
Gold Stars: 171
Honestly you couldn't write it....
I'm currently having to defend Danny Rose on twitter...
Apparently he's "not all that" and saud person can't understand why we rave about Rose so much .

Yet, what he fails to understand is that without Rose we would be all but dead n buried by now , every game DR gives 100%, his work rate is up there with Cliftons, his effectiveness in both boxes is irreplaceable, but apparently  we fans shouldn't be spunking out baby gravy all over him...honestly, I ask you.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 127
chaos33
March 3, 2024, 3:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Let’s be completely clear …..anyone who would say ‘Danny Rose isn’t all that’, or words to that effect, is an idiot.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 127
Poojah
March 3, 2024, 3:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Apparently he's "not all that" and saud person can't understand why we rave about Rose so much .

Yet, what he fails to understand is that without Rose we would be all but dead n buried by now , every game DR gives 100%, his work rate is up there with Cliftons, his effectiveness in both boxes is irreplaceable, but apparently  we fans shouldn't be spunking out baby gravy all over him...honestly, I ask you.

I think that’s just symptomatic of someone who doesn’t really understand the game. I sort of get the perspective; Rose doesn’t have the pace of Michael Reddy, the tenacity of Liam Hearn, and doesn’t score goals with the frequency of Padraig Amond. They’re the kind of qualities that would be obvious to someone watching their first ever game of football.

I liken it to the odd time I’ve watched Leeds Rhinos play in Headingley. I know next to nothing about the intricacies of Rugby League, but I could always appreciate what a good player Rob Burrow was because he was so tremendously quick and skilful, being at least a foot shorter than anyone else on the field. But there were probably several other players out there having a better game that I completely overlooked, because I didn’t really know what was going on. Burrow just excelled in areas that were easy for numpties like me to grasp.  

Anyone not appreciating what Rose brings to the table has to be suffering the same thing - rank ignorance. He’s absolutely fúcking relentless, and must have covered every blade of grass yesterday, even in our defensive third. He’s clever as fúck, a champion shíthouse, and a very good scorer of goals (even if he didn’t get a sniff yesterday, that wasn’t his fault). Ultimately, he’s been setting a standard that most of his teammates simply haven’t been able to keep up with.

I feel for him that he’s had to be part of such a poor team this season, but blimey, we’d be so fúcked without him.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 127
Posh Harry
March 3, 2024, 4:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,363
Gold Stars: 35

Seems like Terry Duckworth is on Twitter as well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 127
Posh Harry
March 3, 2024, 4:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,363
Gold Stars: 35

Seems like Terry Duckworth is on Twitter as well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 127
smokey111
March 3, 2024, 4:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,349
Quoted from Poojah

I think that’s just symptomatic of someone who doesn’t really understand the game. I sort of get the perspective; Rose doesn’t have the pace of Michael Reddy, the tenacity of Liam Hearn, and doesn’t score goals with the frequency of Padraig Amond. They’re the kind of qualities that would be obvious to someone watching their first ever game of football.

I liken it to the odd time I’ve watched Leeds Rhinos play in Headingley. I know next to nothing about the intricacies of Rugby League, but I could always appreciate what a good player Rob Burrow was because he was so tremendously quick and skilful, being at least a foot shorter than anyone else on the field. But there were probably several other players out there having a better game that I completely overlooked, because I didn’t really know what was going on. Burrow just excelled in areas that were easy for numpties like me to grasp.  

Anyone not appreciating what Rose brings to the table has to be suffering the same thing - rank ignorance. He’s absolutely fúcking relentless, and must have covered every blade of grass yesterday, even in our defensive third. He’s clever as fúck, a champion shíthouse, and a very good scorer of goals (even if he didn’t get a sniff yesterday, that wasn’t his fault). Ultimately, he’s been setting a standard that most of his teammates simply haven’t been able to keep up with.

I feel for him that he’s had to be part of such a poor team this season, but blimey, we’d be so fúcked without him.

Spot on. Not since Jack Lester has a player bought so many fouls. Relieves pressure so much.

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 127
It Bites
March 3, 2024, 5:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,222
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from chaos33
Let’s be completely clear …..anyone who would say ‘Danny Rose isn’t all that’, or words to that effect, is an idiot.

Or a simpleton who’s never understood a game of football in their lives
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 127
chaos33
March 3, 2024, 5:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Yes that too.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 127
Rodley Mariner
March 3, 2024, 5:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Quoted from It Bites

Or a simpleton who’s never understood a game of football in their lives

There's a fair degree of that. Was so clearly a plan to not press them in their half to avoid the huge gaps that have cost us so many goals this season. Yet still a significant amount of Guardiola's in the Pontoon screaming for players to 'flipping get in to them'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 127
It Bites
March 3, 2024, 5:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,222
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

There's a fair degree of that. Was so clearly a plan to not press them in their half to avoid the huge gaps that have cost us so many goals this season. Yet still a significant amount of Guardiola's in the Pontoon screaming for players to 'flipping get in to them'.

If I here the words High Press at BP again I’ll kill em lol
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 127
AncientExiledMariner
March 3, 2024, 6:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from smokey111

Spot on. Not since Jack Lester has a player bought so many fouls. Relieves pressure so much.

I'm assuming these are legitimate fouls. Really liked Mr. Lester, but oh boy, was he a champion diver...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 127
Terry duckworth
March 3, 2024, 6:30pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: -43
I said Danny rose is very decent footballer and I’ve
Never been on twitter in my life take it steady people 🤣❤️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 127
smokey111
March 3, 2024, 7:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,349

I'm assuming these are legitimate fouls. Really liked Mr. Lester, but oh boy, was he a champion diver...

Let's be honest, Lester was a latter day Franny Lee.

Rose is very clever. Glances over his shoulder, backs in and waits for contact. Standard format at the bags ball in the 80s/90s!

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 127
Mappers
March 4, 2024, 7:20am
Champagne Drinker

Definitely. I'd love to get to the point where we have enough all round players we don't need him in the first 11, but for me, he's probably the 2nd or 3rd name on the teamsheet (maybe Rose, Thompson, Clifton), so we are a long long way off that. Clifton is a player most managers would love to have. "We've got 2/3 people out in this position? intercourse. Harry can do it!". He's also a excrement to play against. He's given no opposition an easy ride. Even if he doesn't shine, he takes the shine off opposition players.

That's exactly my thoughts

He can be frustrating as hell in that his technical ability/final ball isn't always great but playing off the left last season he did really well with his output of goals .

He's someone who needs a new contract asap imo I don't fancy seeing him turn out for a Lincoln or Mansfield next season and that's not because he's 'one of our own ' more the fact I don't see many players at this level that can play multiple positions so well .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 127
toontown
March 4, 2024, 7:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

That's exactly my thoughts

He can be frustrating as hell in that his technical ability/final ball isn't always great but playing off the left last season he did really well with his output of goals .

He's someone who needs a new contract asap imo I don't fancy seeing him turn out for a Lincoln or Mansfield next season and that's not because he's 'one of our own ' more the fact I don't see many players at this level that can play multiple positions so well .

Shrewsbury a likely destination for Clifton next year i'd have thought
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 127
Mappers
March 4, 2024, 8:45am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from toontown

Shrewsbury a likely destination for Clifton next year i'd have thought

They might be league 2 next year - some big big games coming up for arr Paul in the next few weeks as they play all the bottom end sides after that it's a really nasty run with all the top end teams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 127
toontown
March 4, 2024, 1:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

They might be league 2 next year - some big big games coming up for arr Paul in the next few weeks as they play all the bottom end sides after that it's a really nasty run with all the top end teams.

If Shrewsbury are in league 2 next season Hurst will deinitely want to sign Clifton if Hurst is still there.

If Shrewsbury are in league 1 next season Hurst will definitely be able to tempt him away, should he want to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 127
Poojah
March 4, 2024, 2:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from toontown

If Shrewsbury are in league 2 next season Hurst will deinitely want to sign Clifton if Hurst is still there.

If Shrewsbury are in league 1 next season Hurst will definitely be able to tempt him away, should he want to.

I’ll be honest, I think a move away from his home town club might be good for Clifton.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 127
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 4, 2024, 3:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Quoted from Poojah

I’ll be honest, I think a move away from his home town club might be good for Clifton.

Still believe that Clifton is vastly overrated by the majority of town fans and basically this is due to him being homegrown. Yes he can play in multiple positions, yes he gives 100%+ every match and yes he never stops working but he has poor control, poor on the ball he doesn’t see, and/or can’t deliver , the obvious pass and his finishing is poor. Happy to have him on the bench because he can cover a number of positions but if we want to progress we need better than Harry in midfield, IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 127
arryarryarry
March 4, 2024, 3:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Still believe that Clifton is vastly overrated by the majority of town fans and basically this is due to him being homegrown. Yes he can play in multiple positions, yes he gives 100%+ every match and yes he never stops working but he has poor control, poor on the ball he doesn’t see, and/or can’t deliver , the obvious pass and his finishing is poor. Happy to have him on the bench because he can cover a number of positions but if we want to progress we need better than Harry in midfield, IMO.

You could say the same about most of our midfielders sadly they don't all give 100%
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 127
HertsGTFC
March 4, 2024, 4:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Lots of debate about Clifton and his strengths and weaknesses but maybe if he was played in a similar role for a period of time with better players around him that also didn't change each week then maybe it would help his game. Where that will be next season who knows?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 127
Northbank Mariner
March 4, 2024, 5:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,492
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Lots of debate about Clifton and his strengths and weaknesses but maybe if he was played in a similar role for a period of time with better players around him that also didn't change each week then maybe it would help his game. Where that will be next season who knows?  

Problem is that at 26 years of age with over 250 senior games under his belt his weaknesses have never improved.
Doesn't matter who you play around him, or if has a consistent position in the squad, if he can't trap a bag of sand and pass an accurate ball by now, he never will.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 127
HertsGTFC
March 4, 2024, 6:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Problem is that at 26 years of age with over 250 senior games under his belt his weaknesses have never improved.
Doesn't matter who you play around him, or if has a consistent position in the squad, if he can't trap a bag of sand and pass an accurate ball by now, he never will.

Bit in bold, we don't know that as he's never had that luxury. To say his weaknesses have never improved would suggest he's no better than he was when he broke into the side which isn't true and a bit unfair.

Can a player improve his touch at 25, not sure I'm not a coach, his passing often looks more like a lack of composure rather than poor ability which listening to some interviews with players and coaches can be improved.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 127
Mappers
March 4, 2024, 7:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

He did though didn't he? the promotion season he was off the left and did really well and then a record number of goals ,the majority from there in our first year back to league 2  . Played within a settled  team really , I still know the standard 11 (with the odd tweak) from that promotion year off the top of my head ; I couldn't say the same this season .

I think he's good off the left , RM, RWB , RB at a push LB ; I just wouldn't use him centre mid where his flaws are exposed really badly , especially with Artell-Ball . I really hope he sticks around and I have never been a massive fan but think with that energy , versatility and injury record it would be foolish to not try hard to retain him .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 127
Maringer
March 4, 2024, 8:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
He doesn't have the awareness to play central midfield and looks badly limited when bunged in the middle. However, he's a good player on the wing. High energy, workrate and a decent cross or shot on him at times,even if he's not the trickiest of players. He'll also put a shift in at wing-back and his control and passing is normally better than on Saturday when it was, admittedly, shockingly bad, as was the case with most of our players.

Put it this way, if he'd been playing instead of Eisa, he wouldn't have scored as many long-range efforts, but I'd guess he would still have chipped in with a few and the team as a whole might have done better with somebody capable of helping out the defence a bit more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 127
Limerick Mariner
March 4, 2024, 9:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
What stood out for me about Harry last season, is how well he played in the cup games. An indication perhaps he might be able to step up with better players around him as well. His best position is no doubt wide midfield. Again I’m mystified by PH’s pre-season planning. The amount of wide players we signed clearly indicated that PH wanted to him CM. A combination of the points made above about Harry’s speed of thought / composure and time on the ball, and the weakness of Eisa in tracking back and failings in making himself available as an outlet meant Harry struggled, Glennon as well for that matter. With the players we have available at the moment (Vernam is out for a few weeks yet) I think we need Harry in his current role and Eisa only on the bench.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 127
Norseman
March 4, 2024, 11:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
What stood out for me about Harry last season, is how well he played in the cup games. An indication perhaps he might be able to step up with better players around him as well. His best position is no doubt wide midfield. Again I’m mystified by PH’s pre-season planning. The amount of wide players we signed clearly indicated that PH wanted to him CM. A combination of the points made above about Harry’s speed of thought / composure and time on the ball, and the weakness of Eisa in tracking back and failings in making himself available as an outlet meant Harry struggled, Glennon as well for that matter. With the players we have available at the moment (Vernam is out for a few weeks yet) I think we need Harry in his current role and Eisa only on the bench.

Vernam said on Saturday he may be on the bench Tuesday .But definitely back on Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 127
Limerick Mariner
March 5, 2024, 12:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Norseman

Vernam said on Saturday he may be on the bench Tuesday .But definitely back on Saturday

That’s differs from the Artell pre-match then - unless DA has been told about PH’s pre-match bluffi and bullshite and has decided to add that to his repertoire as well as following the PH tactical approach…
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 127
Maringer
March 5, 2024, 9:38am
Barley Wine Drinker

That’s differs from the Artell pre-match then - unless DA has been told about PH’s pre-match bluffi and bullshite and has decided to add that to his repertoire as well as following the PH tactical approach…

I seem to think Artell pretty much ruled Thompson out against FGR in his pre-match interviews...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 127
Norseman
March 5, 2024, 11:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288

He told 2 people I know 1 in mcmenemys before the game and another after the game .Just have to see if he is in the squad Saturday or is just being over optimistic .Even if fot though not guaranteed to be selected looking at the last 3 unbeaten
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 127
Brummie Codfather
March 6, 2024, 7:41am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +856
Gold Stars: 21
I think that’s the point, I think Vernam is a really good player but we’ve found a way to get points & there’s no place for a winger in that system.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 127
RonMariner
March 6, 2024, 9:17am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,729
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Brummie Codfather
I think that’s the point, I think Vernam is a really good player but we’ve found a way to get points & there’s no place for a winger in that system.

Could be useful as an impact sub to pressure them in the latter stages when hopefully we have a lead to protect.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 127
Maringer
March 6, 2024, 11:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
I could see Vernam coming on for one of the two strikers if we're in the lead and the opposition are pushing to get a goal back. He's a player who is much better from broken play, when there is more space to run into.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 127
diehardmariner
March 6, 2024, 12:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
Yeah agreed on that role for Vernam at the minute.

We're very much looking at Wilson up top and Rose dropping deeper into midfield at the minute.  I don't think Vernam would offer the same level of tenacity as Rose in that withdrawn role, but I could certainly see Artell using him as that second striker type (possibly with Rose moving further forward when Wilson's battery is drained).

Never really a fan of him down the middle to be honest.  I don't think Artell is frightened of changing things during a game so equally so wouldn't be too surprised to see Vernam and perhaps Clifton or even Wilson operating as wingers in a 5-4-1, especially against better sides.
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 127
Maringer
March 6, 2024, 12:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Clifton playing wide in a midfield 4 with Smith in a 'wing-back' role ought to be a very solid defensive unit. We wouldn't be likely to do too much in attack, but ought to be difficult to break down. That said, we were shipping goals for fun when we were previously 4-5-1 effectively, so who knows? More defensive personnel in the wide positions ought to lead to a stronger defensive performance. Shut up shop, so to speak.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 127
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back Forest Green (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.