Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back Forest Green (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just back Forest Green (merged)

This thread currently has 12,916 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
UTMariners
March 2, 2024, 8:59pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +424
Gold Stars: 6
Couldn’t make today but really pleased to hear they were quite poor as Tondeur had them sounding like Barcelona on the radio. Clearly we aren’t great but sounds like they are similar so hopefully they aren’t going to start picking up lots of points. So good to hear we did a job on them when it’s usually other teams doing that to us. UTM. Lots of beers tonight.

"My love, my heart, my soul, my life.  My beloved Club Grimsby."

Salford Mariner

Join the Trust!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 127
grimps
March 2, 2024, 9:01pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,150
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from GrimRob
This was the real Grimsby Way. Digging in and grafting a result. We wasted time very well and the ref should have added a lot more on than he did.The FGR attendance spoke volumes for how relegation matters to their little community. Be great if they and Colchester go down.

Yeah hopefully we’ll see the last of them at the end of this season , they’ve added now value at all to the league and other then being one man’s play thing they won’t be missed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 127
arryarryarry
March 2, 2024, 9:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Hagrid
Incredibly biased interview by their manager who described them as miles better than us and they deserved to win.

Didnt have a shot on target you clown

Haven't heard it but to be fair in terms of possession and passing I thought they were better than us but had zero threat up front.

On that display both teams look like they should go down and I still don't have faith in Artell keeping us up just that hopefully 2 teams get less points than we do.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 127
HertsGTFC
March 2, 2024, 9:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
I’d not enjoy it but if we can have another 5 of them before the end of the season I could live with it.

Shape was much better at the back and you could see they’d been working on what to do out of possession.

At last some grit, determination & resilience.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 127
nickmariners
March 2, 2024, 10:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from chaos33
Danny Rose. All season. 100%. Highest of standards. Just fantastic. God knows where we’d be without him. Thank you Danny. Talk about leading by example. Colossus of a pro.
So, so relieved and grateful for 3 points.

He's the epitome of the Engergizer Bunny player. Never shirked a tackle. Always available for a pass.  Great in attack AND defence.

Plastered in mud by half time - he was really getting stuck in. Proper captain's performance.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 127
diehardmariner
March 2, 2024, 10:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 540
Few comments about Clifton and his distribution are fair, but I think we benefit so much more from having his energy there than we're hindered by his wayward crossing.  We're simply not exposed down the flanks as much now.

Rose and Wilson outstanding. Didn't really think of Wilson as the targetman type but he showed second half he can do it and do it very well. Gives an extra dynamic to our attack and allows Rose to be more of the 10 than both the 9 and 10.

Plenty piling in on him but I thought Andrews was really poor again. Easy to forget he's a young lad but so little came off for him today and he manages to flounder about the play an awful lot without ever getting involved in it.

Win is a win and that's all that counts. But intercourse me that was painful to watch. Like two bald blokes fighting over a comb. Two awful sides scrapping to find out who is the least excrement.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 127
MuddyWaters
March 2, 2024, 10:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from diehardmariner
Few comments about Clifton and his distribution are fair, but I think we benefit so much more from having his energy there than we're hindered by his wayward crossing.  We're simply not exposed down the flanks as much now.

Rose and Wilson outstanding. Didn't really think of Wilson as the targetman type but he showed second half he can do it and do it very well. Gives an extra dynamic to our attack and allows Rose to be more of the 10 than both the 9 and 10.

Plenty piling in on him but I thought Andrews was really poor again. Easy to forget he's a young lad but so little came off for him today and he manages to flounder about the play an awful lot without ever getting involved in it.

Win is a win and that's all that counts. But intercourse me that was painful to watch. Like two bald blokes fighting over a comb. Two awful sides scrapping to find out who is the least excrement.

Really don’t like the Twitter scrap tonight, not a good look, best that Andrews and, more importantly, Maher keep quiet.

We won, that’s great, but this season has been shite, mostly due to abysmal recruitment and the only vague comfort is that there’s two potentially worse than us.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 127
ginnywings
March 2, 2024, 11:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Just back from the pub and where we had celebrations instead of commiserations for a change.

Thought that was one of the worst performances I can remember from a Town side, with some of the worst control, passing and defensive clearances in many a season. We were abysmal at times and barely ever got more than three or four passes completed before giving up possession. Our throw ins were embarrassing at times too.

FGR looked way better on the ball than us and kept it from us far too easily, but ultimately, Cartwright left the pitch as clean as he entered it and didn't have a save to make all game, so credit to the back five who protected him superbly, and were matched by the effort and endeavour of the two forwards. They totally made up for a truly shocking midfield, who worked hard, but had very little else to offer. Some of their passing and decision making was worryingly bad. Andrews is and was getting loads of stick, but he wasn't any worse than the others. Thompson has great touch and technique, but he was dead on his feet after 40 mins and could barely run. Holohan was like a headless chicken with passing to match but the result will paper over all those cracks tonight.

This felt like a cup tie, and I was concerned that one of only two teams below us looked much better at football than we did, but they had no goal threat whatsoever, which probably explains why they are one of the only teams below us.

Dreadful performance football wise, but the heart and character got us through and it all felt a bit like a PH type backs to the wall win, but who cares, we had to win and we did, which greatly enhances our survival chances. They now have to win three more games than us with the season running out fast.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 127
Poojah
March 2, 2024, 11:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,756
Gold Stars: 1,509
I’ve not much too add that hasn’t already been said. Was today the kind of home performance that people are going to watch over the course of a season? No. Does it matter? Not in the slightest. I’ve been very clear how important I felt this game was; to win it is absolutely huge not just in terms of this season but the long-term club’s future.

I wanted Artell gone after the Donny capitulation. I felt it would be absolute madness to let him preside over a game of such magnitude with the glaring issues we’ve seen in recent weeks, but today he displayed a level of pragmatism I didn’t think he had in him. Gone was the playing out from the back, the badly executed press and the poor impersonation of a passing side.

It was ugly, but we did everything we hadn’t been doing at home. We kept a proper defensive shape, we were dogged, and we defended a lead to keep a clean sheet. I’d have taken that before the game.

Forest Green were poorer than I expected them to be. I had been nervous about the threat of Christian Doidge before the game, but he was absolutely anonymous. Richard Keogh looked old, slow and grossly overweight for a professional footballer.

Ultimately, there’s still a long way to go, but today’s result takes a little bit of pressure off in the short-term. We can’t afford to rest on our laurels, we have to kick-on from this, but I feel markedly more relaxed about our circumstances than I did 24 hours ago.

Oh, and here’s a photo I took of a rainbow over BP. I’ll that as a good omen for the future.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 127
Mayaman
March 3, 2024, 12:53am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
I agree Clifton's distribution was poor but he put a shift in.  He also hassled and harried.  Not sure Rose played well (this will make me unpopular).  He went down to easily, fouled too much and I didn't hear is name in the first 15  to twenty minutes. His running was good and he popped up to defend frequently as usual. Rodgers and Wilson had a good game.  Still no idea why Obikwu wasn't at least on the bench.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 127
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back Forest Green (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.