Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back Forest Green (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just back Forest Green (merged)

This thread currently has 12,761 views. Print
13 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
March 4, 2024, 2:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,600
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from toontown

If Shrewsbury are in league 2 next season Hurst will deinitely want to sign Clifton if Hurst is still there.

If Shrewsbury are in league 1 next season Hurst will definitely be able to tempt him away, should he want to.

I’ll be honest, I think a move away from his home town club might be good for Clifton.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 127
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 4, 2024, 3:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Poojah

I’ll be honest, I think a move away from his home town club might be good for Clifton.

Still believe that Clifton is vastly overrated by the majority of town fans and basically this is due to him being homegrown. Yes he can play in multiple positions, yes he gives 100%+ every match and yes he never stops working but he has poor control, poor on the ball he doesn’t see, and/or can’t deliver , the obvious pass and his finishing is poor. Happy to have him on the bench because he can cover a number of positions but if we want to progress we need better than Harry in midfield, IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 127
arryarryarry
March 4, 2024, 3:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,036
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Still believe that Clifton is vastly overrated by the majority of town fans and basically this is due to him being homegrown. Yes he can play in multiple positions, yes he gives 100%+ every match and yes he never stops working but he has poor control, poor on the ball he doesn’t see, and/or can’t deliver , the obvious pass and his finishing is poor. Happy to have him on the bench because he can cover a number of positions but if we want to progress we need better than Harry in midfield, IMO.

You could say the same about most of our midfielders sadly they don't all give 100%
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 127
HertsGTFC
March 4, 2024, 4:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Lots of debate about Clifton and his strengths and weaknesses but maybe if he was played in a similar role for a period of time with better players around him that also didn't change each week then maybe it would help his game. Where that will be next season who knows?  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 127
Northbank Mariner
March 4, 2024, 5:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,492
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Lots of debate about Clifton and his strengths and weaknesses but maybe if he was played in a similar role for a period of time with better players around him that also didn't change each week then maybe it would help his game. Where that will be next season who knows?  

Problem is that at 26 years of age with over 250 senior games under his belt his weaknesses have never improved.
Doesn't matter who you play around him, or if has a consistent position in the squad, if he can't trap a bag of sand and pass an accurate ball by now, he never will.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 127
HertsGTFC
March 4, 2024, 6:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Problem is that at 26 years of age with over 250 senior games under his belt his weaknesses have never improved.
Doesn't matter who you play around him, or if has a consistent position in the squad, if he can't trap a bag of sand and pass an accurate ball by now, he never will.

Bit in bold, we don't know that as he's never had that luxury. To say his weaknesses have never improved would suggest he's no better than he was when he broke into the side which isn't true and a bit unfair.

Can a player improve his touch at 25, not sure I'm not a coach, his passing often looks more like a lack of composure rather than poor ability which listening to some interviews with players and coaches can be improved.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 127
Mappers
March 4, 2024, 7:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,339
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from HertsGTFC

He did though didn't he? the promotion season he was off the left and did really well and then a record number of goals ,the majority from there in our first year back to league 2  . Played within a settled  team really , I still know the standard 11 (with the odd tweak) from that promotion year off the top of my head ; I couldn't say the same this season .

I think he's good off the left , RM, RWB , RB at a push LB ; I just wouldn't use him centre mid where his flaws are exposed really badly , especially with Artell-Ball . I really hope he sticks around and I have never been a massive fan but think with that energy , versatility and injury record it would be foolish to not try hard to retain him .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 127
Maringer
March 4, 2024, 8:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
He doesn't have the awareness to play central midfield and looks badly limited when bunged in the middle. However, he's a good player on the wing. High energy, workrate and a decent cross or shot on him at times,even if he's not the trickiest of players. He'll also put a shift in at wing-back and his control and passing is normally better than on Saturday when it was, admittedly, shockingly bad, as was the case with most of our players.

Put it this way, if he'd been playing instead of Eisa, he wouldn't have scored as many long-range efforts, but I'd guess he would still have chipped in with a few and the team as a whole might have done better with somebody capable of helping out the defence a bit more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 127
Limerick Mariner
March 4, 2024, 9:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
What stood out for me about Harry last season, is how well he played in the cup games. An indication perhaps he might be able to step up with better players around him as well. His best position is no doubt wide midfield. Again I’m mystified by PH’s pre-season planning. The amount of wide players we signed clearly indicated that PH wanted to him CM. A combination of the points made above about Harry’s speed of thought / composure and time on the ball, and the weakness of Eisa in tracking back and failings in making himself available as an outlet meant Harry struggled, Glennon as well for that matter. With the players we have available at the moment (Vernam is out for a few weeks yet) I think we need Harry in his current role and Eisa only on the bench.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 127
Norseman
March 4, 2024, 11:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
What stood out for me about Harry last season, is how well he played in the cup games. An indication perhaps he might be able to step up with better players around him as well. His best position is no doubt wide midfield. Again I’m mystified by PH’s pre-season planning. The amount of wide players we signed clearly indicated that PH wanted to him CM. A combination of the points made above about Harry’s speed of thought / composure and time on the ball, and the weakness of Eisa in tracking back and failings in making himself available as an outlet meant Harry struggled, Glennon as well for that matter. With the players we have available at the moment (Vernam is out for a few weeks yet) I think we need Harry in his current role and Eisa only on the bench.

Vernam said on Saturday he may be on the bench Tuesday .But definitely back on Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 127
13 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back Forest Green (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.