MuddyWaters
December 23, 2023, 9:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,258
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ska face

Imagine someone in 1973 telling everyone the crowd prefer the style from 1923. Absolutely insane behaviour.

People can’t expect the players to be brave on the ball, anywhere on the pitch, if the fans are filling their y-fronts every time we have to make a pass.

Same goes for that goon Tondeur on Humberside, been needling the manager and players every chance he gets about the different style. Bloke sounds like he’s on the verge of a coronary the second the ball’s not punted into the stratosphere.

It’s possible to play terribly without having to completely abandon your principles the following week.

I’m quite shocked how dim some people are about this. DA made it pretty clear in his interview. They’re trying to play through the lines, ball into feet, Hunt if possible, but if that is cut off, play over or round the press. That requires the likes of Clifton, Eisa and Gnahoua to become the alternative.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 97
LocalLadGTFC
December 23, 2023, 9:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,228
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from arryarryarry

There were plenty around me moaning "get it forward" when pratting around at the back.

There’s a reason those people don’t have a career in football management. I think of it like Tottenham, Ange has implemented a style and they aren’t going to come away from it because that’s how he’s always played and that’s how he’s been brought up playing football. If you ask 100 football fans who they’d rather watch every week, Luton or Tottenham.. 100 of those fans would say Tottenham. Now Tottenham are obviously a premier league team with premier league players but they have a style and they stick to it no matter the circumstances because the manager wants them to play that way, he concedes that it’ll lose them games and times but it’ll also win them a lot more than they lose. We aren’t even at stage 1 yet, I think David has probably had 8/9 actual training sessions with the team due to the time of year and the amount of games we have to play. Combine that with it being a squad of players he’s inherited that have been asked to play a certain way for nearly 2 years for some of them such as Harry, Gav etc. He’s not only got to implement his style, he’s got to try and mould these players into what he wants because we’re a L2 team and these players have contracts. He can’t just go out and buy a new midfielder. If he thinks they can’t do it then he has to try and move them on. Emphasis on the try, because if he can’t then we’re stuck with them. The goal for this season is probably stay in the division first and foremost and steer us comfortably to safety whilst implementing the style of play you want. It’s going to be a long journey and we’ve already seen fruits of the labour in previous games. One swerve in the road doesn’t change the journey of the car.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 62 - 97
lew chaterleys lover
December 23, 2023, 9:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,725
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from ska face

Imagine someone in 1973 telling everyone the crowd prefer the style from 1923. Absolutely insane behaviour.

People can’t expect the players to be brave on the ball, anywhere on the pitch, if the fans are filling their y-fronts every time we have to make a pass.

Same goes for that goon Tondeur on Humberside, been needling the manager and players every chance he gets about the different style. Bloke sounds like he’s on the verge of a coronary the second the ball’s not punted into the stratosphere.

It’s possible to play terribly without having to completely abandon your principles the following week.

That's the point I was trying to make. I was very disappointed with the fans for moaning, groaning and urging the players to get it forward quickly.

Artell has set his stall out to play possession football from the back, but I think a good percentage of the fan base would prefer crunching tackles and plenty of Grimsby grit but the game isn't played like that anymore.

Artell and his way of playing are here to stay so I hope the fans show more patience and encouragement than they did today if it doesn't go to plan.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 97
mariner91
December 23, 2023, 9:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,661
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from ancientmariner54

You make me laugh, your quite prepared to wait and see what January brings for this gaffer but you wanted Pearson and Davies out in a hurry . We played better under their guidance than that showing today and who's to say we wouldn't have improved even more under them . Oh I know Artex must be better because he's a NAME.. and we probably paid more money for him ,so to you amongst us that watch premiershit football that must be the right decision. I really hope he makes a fist of it for all our sakes . I know some will be saying.. oh the snipers are out already. But Shaun and Ben took 5 points from 9 ,playoff form and got us through one round of the cup Artex has 5 points from 12 and we're out of the cup.....? Just saying . We were sh!t today .  U.T.M.

You’ve got to be a troll. Nobody in their right mind would think two draws against the two worst sides in the division and limping through a cup round via a replay against a shite part time team is something to crow about.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 97
MuddyWaters
December 23, 2023, 9:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,258
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ancientmariner54

You make me laugh, your quite prepared to wait and see what January brings for this gaffer but you wanted Pearson and Davies out in a hurry . We played better under their guidance than that showing today and who's to say we wouldn't have improved even more under them . Oh I know Artex must be better because he's a NAME.. and we probably paid more money for him ,so to you amongst us that watch premiershit football that must be the right decision. I really hope he makes a fist of it for all our sakes . I know some will be saying.. oh the snipers are out already. But Shaun and Ben took 5 points from 9 ,playoff form and got us through one round of the cup Artex has 5 points from 12 and we're out of the cup.....? Just saying . We were sh!t today .  U.T.M.

Blimey. We drew with Slough and Sutton at home in a game that was like today on steroids. You have a very short and selective memory.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 97
HerveJosse
December 23, 2023, 9:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Artells interview was worrying. Gone from confident articulate to jibbering nonsense in 4 weeks wonder what is in the water down at Cheapside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 97
arryarryarry
December 23, 2023, 9:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

There’s a reason those people don’t have a career in football management. I think of it like Tottenham, Ange has implemented a style and they aren’t going to come away from it because that’s how he’s always played and that’s how he’s been brought up playing football. If you ask 100 football fans who they’d rather watch every week, Luton or Tottenham.. 100 of those fans would say Tottenham. Now Tottenham are obviously a premier league team with premier league players but they have a style and they stick to it no matter the circumstances because the manager wants them to play that way, he concedes that it’ll lose them games and times but it’ll also win them a lot more than they lose. We aren’t even at stage 1 yet, I think David has probably had 8/9 actual training sessions with the team due to the time of year and the amount of games we have to play. Combine that with it being a squad of players he’s inherited that have been asked to play a certain way for nearly 2 years for some of them such as Harry, Gav etc. He’s not only got to implement his style, he’s got to try and mould these players into what he wants because we’re a L2 team and these players have contracts. He can’t just go out and buy a new midfielder. If he thinks they can’t do it then he has to try and move them on. Emphasis on the try, because if he can’t then we’re stuck with them. The goal for this season is probably stay in the division first and foremost and steer us comfortably to safety whilst implementing the style of play you want. It’s going to be a long journey and we’ve already seen fruits of the labour in previous games. One swerve in the road doesn’t change the journey of the car.

So you are suggesting a number of Town fans are a bit dim then try to compare us to a Premiership side. You do realise they have far greater ability to spend millions on top class players.

I don't mind a manager having a plan but that has to take into account the quality of players he has access to. The manager also has access to how the opposition plays so he shouldn't have been surprised how they play.

I just thought he got it wrong today and couldn't adapt his team to change it at any time during the game
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 97
Mappers
December 23, 2023, 9:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,333
Gold Stars: 118

That's the point I was trying to make. I was very disappointed with the fans for moaning, groaning and urging the players to get it forward quickly.

Artell has set his stall out to play possession football from the back, but I think a good percentage of the fan base would prefer crunching tackles and plenty of Grimsby grit but the game isn't played like that anymore.

Artell and his way of playing are here to stay so I hope the fans show more patience and encouragement than they did today if it doesn't go to plan.

That will never change you know our regulars (and fans of every club)  , I put something on a week or two ago 'see what the reaction will be when we lose , get it forward!' Or something along those lines .

They take every manager down including Sir Alan and boy they didn't  like it when he gave a bit back on occasion .

You are damned if you do damned if you don't . Terrible today but at least give a bit of context - it's gone relatively well the other games he's been here , a refreshing change - 3 or 4 games like today and I would worry but still wouldn't want us to revert to Hurst style football or lumping it we just need to get better at playing this way , IMO it's whether the current set of players are good enough - they looked it against Crewe and MK dons 2 more technical teams who sit off you a lot and let you play - the Newport one was a struggle against a more robust team and today we struggled badly with their pressing ; our touch and passing was awful . I did think Harrogate looked quite good not Mansfield or Barrow but a match or better of the other teams we have played .

Onto Mansfield which may well suit us better .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 97
LocalLadGTFC
December 23, 2023, 9:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,228
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from arryarryarry

So you are suggesting a number of Town fans are a bit dim then try to compare us to a Premiership side. You do realise they have far greater ability to spend millions on top class players.

I don't mind a manager having a plan but that has to take into account the quality of players he has access to. The manager also has access to how the opposition plays so he shouldn't have been surprised how they play.

I just thought he got it wrong today and couldn't adapt his team to change it at any time during the game

I never once said Town fans are dim, I said there’s a reason we aren’t professional football managers. They know a lot more than we do. I also made the point about we don’t have millions to spend so Artell has to work with what he has, the reference to Tottenham was due to the fact they have a style of play and they don’t change from it, no matter who they play or how the game is going. They persist on playing out and Ange and Tottenham fans are accepting of the fact some times it’ll cost them points but it’ll certainly win them a lot more. See Tottenham/Chelsea for example.. down to 9 men and they’re still pressing Chelsea on the edge of the box and trying to play around them. History tells you that when a team goes down a man they should sit in and try get a point, never mind when they lose 2 but they didn’t. They went out to try and win the game and it cost them a point. Ange has his values and he won’t budge on them because that’s how he wants them to play and believes it’d be a detriment to Tottenham in the long term if they did. That’s exactly what we’re going to witness. We’re at Step 1 of probably a 10 step plan. He’s got to work with a squad of players who are currently stuck in certain mindsets and have certain bad habits. Now the counter argument to that is ‘ work with what you have ‘ - that’s not what the board want and if it was he wouldn’t of been appointed. He’s the right man for the job but it’s going to be a long process. His first two seasons at Crewe he guided them to safety and then finished mid table. Then followed by 2 very good years in the which lead to promotion. It’s a long term project and they’ll be more days like today. He’s been very open about that. As for the adapting to change the game, we had Pyke on the bench and that was the only forward player on the bench. The players he brought on to make a difference did nothing bar Green scoring but the game was already over.. all we could really do was go like for like.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 69 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.