10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
LocalLadGTFC
December 23, 2023, 6:53pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,222
Gold Stars: 137
I think the Grimsby crowd prefer Mcmenemy football to Buckley or Artells passing game.

Blood and thunder, up and at 'em rather than studiously playing out from the back.

We will be happy with it if we are winning, but it will be purgatory if we don't.

If today's reaction is anything to go by the crowd will get very restless very quickly defeating the whole point of trying to play out from the back. Yes we were poor for two thirds of the game and were beaten by a better team who had better players but I fear the supporters won't have the patience till it all gels with players better equipped to play it.

Load of shite, fans just want to see effort and today it looked like there was 0 hence the moans and groans. If we went and had a go at Harrogate and didn't fanny about with 10 corners going short then there probably wouldn't of been groans. The style of play isn't the reason the fans booed, it's the application and effort of players that was the problem today like it has been for 90% of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 40 - 97
Mappers
December 23, 2023, 7:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,329
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Bigdog

Totally agree, but they are limited by League Two standards, and I'm not basing my opinions of what we are over one bad performance in the past six or seven games either.. We have shortcomings on heavy pitches and against organised mobile teams, less so on better pitches against footballing teams higher up the division..

The whole of league 2 is limited though isn't it ? barring Barrow and Mansfield who I was impressed with , even the teams that do well are basic but just do basic better than the rest with better players  (Stockport & Wrexham come to mind ) .

That's my only worry that 'Artell ball' is not  compatible with league 2 , but the success he had with Crewe contradicts my argument  - I would be interested how many other 'total footballing sides' have gone up from league 2 in the last few seasons .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 97
Chrisblor
December 23, 2023, 7:09pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,856
Gold Stars: 235

I've no idea but people will understand the difference in style.

I'm 35 so have absolutely no idea what you mean. I barely even recall what Buckley's teams played like since his second stint in charge ended when I was 12 and the third spell where the squad was full of rubbish and had no obvious identity doesn't count.

Anyway I thought Glennon and Cartwright had decent games today. The less said about the rest of them the better. Completely unwilling to write Hunt off like some as he's at least shown in recent games before Newport he can be pivotal in midfield, but he needs to find a way to be more consistent especially against more physical opponents (unlike Clifton who needs to accept he doesn't have the awareness or guile to play anywhere but out wide).

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 97
MuddyWaters
December 23, 2023, 7:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Chrisblor

I'm 35 so have absolutely no idea what you mean. I barely even recall what Buckley's teams played like since his second stint in charge ended when I was 12 and the third spell where the squad was full of rubbish and had no obvious identity doesn't count.

Anyway I thought Glennon and Cartwright had decent games today. The less said about the rest of them the better. Completely unwilling to write Hunt off like some as he's at least shown in recent games before Newport he can be pivotal in midfield, but he needs to find a way to be more consistent especially against more physical opponents (unlike Clifton who needs to accept he doesn't have the awareness or guile to play anywhere but out wide).

Certainly think if a team makes nullifying one player a key to their tactics, then it’s up to the others to work out how to take advantage. Problem is that the others weren’t able to.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 97
HelensburghMariner
December 23, 2023, 7:18pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +37
Gold Stars: 1
Sh1t from start to finish. Harrogate were the better side with some questionable reffing thrown in
Not sure how Eisa got MOTM either??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 97
Yoda
December 23, 2023, 7:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,157
Gold Stars: 71
Yes the passing today was shocking i lost count the number of times we passed to a Harrogate player.
Also every corner Glennon took went to their player six inches off the ground and they cleared it.
Surely in the windy conditions we could manage a corner into the box.
The players today looked like they had been out on the beer the night before.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 97
lew chaterleys lover
December 23, 2023, 7:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Chrisblor

OK, just substitute Lawrie Mac for any manager you can think of who plays a more direct, up and at 'em style, the opposite of passing out from the back.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 97
LocalLadGTFC
December 23, 2023, 7:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,222
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Certainly think if a team makes nullifying one player a key to their tactics, then it’s up to the others to work out how to take advantage. Problem is that the others weren’t able to.

Exactly that, Artell has said in interviews that he can set a team up as good as he wants. When they cross that white line it's up to them to work out patterns and how to take advantage of it.. something which I feel we lack a lot. I hate critising PH but we was always a team that was set up to nullfiy the other team and win a game that way. We've gone from one end of the spectrum to the other and it'll take time. It's on DA to work out whether the players we currently have are, 1 - good enough to play the way he wants and 2 - smart enough to manage the in game situations when teams work us out.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 47 - 97
MuddyWaters
December 23, 2023, 7:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236

OK, just substitute Lawrie Mac for any manager you can think of who plays a more direct, up and at 'em style, the opposite of passing out from the back.

I personally hated watching teams managed by Mick Lyons and Russell Slade.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 97
December 23, 2023, 7:55pm
Guest User
Every time we played it out from the back I was nervous. Had been looking forward to this. Utter shít.

Not remotely consoled by Artell’s post match interview either.
Reply: 49 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.