Bigdog
December 23, 2023, 6:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Lincspoacher
5 mins in, Town played the ball from their own corner flag and passed across and out the back, into midfield and then transitioned into attack superbly.

Alan Buckley sat in the Directors section near me and purred like a cat sat in front of a newly lit real fire.

Unfortunately, short;y after this positive start and illustration of what Arter is trying to instil, the players muscle memories of several years under Hurst slightly different approach, overran the new orders and things went downhill from there.

Harrogate were very comfortable on the ball as well but seemed more confident and well drilled in their shape and approach that Town. Perhaps due to having their manager longer than 6 weeks or perhaps having players specifically recruited to be able to ply that way and have at least some players who could use more than one foot.

I have seen enough in the shirt time Artel has been in to feel optimistic about the future and he was absolutely adamant that this inherited squad was in no danger of going down this season.

I did see a lack of penetration again by our wide players today and Clifton once again ran and ran but just lacks quality.

Strangely, Harrogate seemed sharper in midfield and Hunt, Conteh, Clifton and latterly Holohan all seemed a yard slower to the ball than their midfielders at time.

We deserved to lose today and 2 tough away matches to come now until New Years Day.

Maybe a dose of reality not a bad thing and I am sure the January transfer window re loans and signings will be at the forefront of our new managers thoughts after today.

UTM

Virtually invisible..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 97
arryarryarry
December 23, 2023, 6:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Bigdog

Not a chance of relegation. I'm quite relaxed, interested in seeing how we progress this season under Artell without any preconceived idea of where we need to be by the summer. Can shrug off a poor performance against a limited Harrogate side. Maybe even a blessing in the long term if it identifies a few shortcomings in the squad, better sooner than later. Welcome back Yoda. Haven't seen much of you during our unbeaten run..

I'm sorry but calling Harrogate limited doesn't say much for us as they were so much better than we were.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 97
LH
December 23, 2023, 6:30pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,528
Gold Stars: 173
I’ll give Harrogate some credit and say they were much better than us today; well organised, tried harder throughout and clearly did some homework on us. We were dreadful though and it’s really drunk me off that that’s what is served up after a brilliant home performance against Crewe last time at BP.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 97
lew chaterleys lover
December 23, 2023, 6:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,721
Gold Stars: 237
I think the Grimsby crowd prefer Mcmenemy football to Buckley or Artells passing game.

Blood and thunder, up and at 'em rather than studiously playing out from the back.

We will be happy with it if we are winning, but it will be purgatory if we don't.

If today's reaction is anything to go by the crowd will get very restless very quickly defeating the whole point of trying to play out from the back. Yes we were poor for two thirds of the game and were beaten by a better team who had better players but I fear the supporters won't have the patience till it all gels with players better equipped to play it.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 97
Bigdog
December 23, 2023, 6:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from arryarryarry

I'm sorry but calling Harrogate limited doesn't say much for us as they were so much better than we were.

Totally agree, but they are limited by League Two standards, and I'm not basing my opinions of what we are over one bad performance in the past six or seven games either.. We have shortcomings on heavy pitches and against organised mobile teams, less so on better pitches against footballing teams higher up the division..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 97
ska face
December 23, 2023, 6:39pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
I think the Grimsby crowd prefer Mcmenemy football to Buckley or Artells passing game.

Blood and thunder, up and at 'em rather than studiously playing out from the back.

We will be happy with it if we are winning, but it will be purgatory if we don't.

If today's reaction is anything to go by the crowd will get very restless very quickly defeating the whole point of trying to play out from the back. Yes we were poor for two thirds of the game and were beaten by a better team who had better players but I fear the supporters won't have the patience till it all gels with players better equipped to play it.

Mcmenemy hasn’t managed us for more than 50 years. How many people in the ground today do you think saw a game under him?
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 97
wuffing
December 23, 2023, 6:40pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38
Harrogate were a tough nut today...
and we did not have the hammer to crack them... 😑

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 97
lew chaterleys lover
December 23, 2023, 6:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,721
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from ska face

Mcmenemy hasn’t managed us for more than 50 years. How many people in the ground today do you think saw a game under him?

I've no idea but people will understand the difference in style.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 97
chaos33
December 23, 2023, 6:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Playing out from the back with this squad will lead to more opportunities and goals conceded than it does chances created, very, very comfortably,  and I’d put every penny I’ve got on that.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 97
MuddyWaters
December 23, 2023, 6:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236

I've no idea but people will understand the difference in style.

I know exactly (from experience) what you mean but I’m pretty sure Dave Boylen wouldn’t last 90 minutes.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 97
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.