Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Lincoln City
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Lincoln City

This thread currently has 36,436 views. Print
32 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
December 22, 2023, 1:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,694
Gold Stars: 540
Catering contract!  
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 312
GrimPol
December 22, 2023, 2:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76

Well said. There is data for every scenario but it is obvious to all that the Mariners are Lincolnshire's premier club. Not at the moment I grant you with Lincoln being one whole division above us, but it is true nonetheless.  If Lincoln reach the Championship and then the top flight and reach FA Cup semi finals and so on then fair enough we would have to concede the point, but at the moment they are miles off just as Scunny were when they had their Championship purple patch.

Currently Lincoln are paying in £60k per match (£3 mill ÷ 50 games)
Somebody ought to tell them, you just can't buy class.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 312
Mappers
December 22, 2023, 2:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,445
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from LN8Mariner

I don’t usually respond to the manhood waving posts but here goes.
In those 40 years, season for season, Lincoln have only had a better attendance than Town in 7 of those seasons. It’s easy to cherry pick stats to fit a narrative isn’t it?

However, what I think you and David Fraser have both missed in this thread is the original point of the post and that is that if a well run (that’s one thing most Town fans agree on regarding Lincoln is that you are, from the outside, well run) you still have to pump in £3m to challenge and that is a word of warning to all the Town fans begging for more. There was nothing pointed in the original Post (as I read it) against Lincoln, to the contrary, but just highlighting that it costs a lot to break even at L1 level and probably more than we anticipated.

No there was no highlighting any of the above like you say .

It was more an example of how deep pockets you need to compete even at league 1 level and how I can  see why Stockwood got irked from some critics (yes I know they chose to take the club on ) after ponying up whatever it was to buy the club ; which was almost worth less than nothing +  the further outlay on BP & the playing squad  only to be asked 'where did the cup money go?' - when on reality it's probably about 1/5th of what they have put in and has just taken the edge off slightly .

I actually do think Lincoln are well run and have a decent chairman and CEO but the idea that they are light years ahead of us on and off the pitch is laughable they are 1 league up with some yanks having to make up a 3 million pound shortfall - unless they have a decent season this or next it will be 3 million down the drain - their model hasn't worked (yet) regarding player trading , on the pitch they are doing okay but if you look at league 1 there are effectively 3 tiers ; they are 9th -- the issue I would have if they don't start making gains on players soon you may well be throwing away 3 million quid down the drain to finish 6 or 7 places higher and not be down the bottom third . It would be interesting to know what their long term goal is .  

I don't think it's a Reading , Scunny , Wigan or Southend scenario by any means but still just shows how crazy the game is even in division 3 and 4 .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 312
NorfolkImp
December 26, 2023, 4:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -524
Gold Stars: 11

Well said. There is data to suit for every scenario but it is obvious to all that the Mariners are Lincolnshire's premier club.

Just the 10,064 here today, 1995 was the last time you achieved an attendance of this size, so your absolute delusion at being the Premier Club in the Shire is off the scale sir.

Private Message
Reply: 93 - 312
Heisenberg
December 26, 2023, 5:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Just the 10,064 here today, 1995 was the last time you achieved an attendance of this size, so your absolute delusion at being the Premier Club in the Shire is off the scale sir.

3000 away fans does have the tendency to do that, though.

Great result, by the way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 312
Maringer
December 26, 2023, 5:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
Not to forget, of course, that we had to go all-seater decades ago due to our League status at the time. We'd have managed a good few attendances in excess of 10K, had we some standing capacity available in the years since then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 312
mariner91
December 26, 2023, 5:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,744
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Congrats lads. I’m sure they’ll all be back for the next home game after you managed less than 30% possession in a home game and mustered two shots all game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 312
diehardmariner
December 27, 2023, 9:42am
Vodka Drinker
Going onto an opposition fans forum literally minutes after the final whistle to brag about 10,000 fans in the ground.  Completely ignoring the fact that you suffered a defeat against a side occupying one of the play-off places you cherish, which personally I would have thought would be more of a priority for you.  Each to their own though.

intercourse me, that's almost as embarrassing as your tantrum at your 2011 relegation whilst holding your Franny Lee toilet roll.  Almost.
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 312
pen penfras
December 27, 2023, 9:52am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -134
Gold Stars: 71

Well said. There is data to suit for every scenario but it is obvious to all that the Mariners are Lincolnshire's premier club. Not at the moment I grant you with Lincoln being one whole division above us, but it is true nonetheless.  If Lincoln reach the Championship and then the top flight and reach FA Cup semi finals and so on then fair enough we would have to concede the point, but at the moment they are miles off just as Scunny were when they had their Championship purple patch.

I don't think it's obvious. With the amount Lincoln have had pumped in on facilities and players, plus we've not been in L1 in what, 15 years? Historically, you are right, but history means very little compared to the last 20 years.

We are not a big club by any modern metric. Neither are Lincoln but on level, money and attendance they have been beating us for several years now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 312
diehardmariner
December 27, 2023, 10:41am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

I don't think it's obvious. With the amount Lincoln have had pumped in on facilities and players, plus we've not been in L1 in what, 15 years? Historically, you are right, but history means very little compared to the last 20 years.

We are not a big club by any modern metric. Neither are Lincoln but on level, money and attendance they have been beating us for several years now.

History means jaff all, we all know that.  We laugh at much bigger clubs who have this chip on their shoulder regards their history so it would be daft to pull out the old history card in this argument.

But the last six seasons are a mere drop in the ocean as to regards how much we proved to be the better side in Lincolnshire.  Alas, that's very much in the same way that we've historically proved to be better than the likes of an awful lot of clubs who now dwarf us...

Quite interesting reading if you've got a spare 10 minutes - https://drive.google.com/file/d/18fQMECa2VBbogBXDSElqTvnqOkJ6YUbE/view

Private Message
Reply: 99 - 312
32 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Lincoln City

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.