Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Lincoln City
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Lincoln City

This thread currently has 36,378 views. Print
32 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
HatTrickHero
January 26, 2024, 7:53am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +781
Gold Stars: 25

As for dropping like a stone, Glass houses and all that..

'Yeah , dropping like stones but we're better than you at it, ploughing 2.6 million into it so nerr nerr..'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 312
Mappers
January 26, 2024, 8:18am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,434
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from diehardmariner
Interesting insight from Liam Scully, Lincoln's CEO here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0h6s80p

Very much seems to be that they're justifying the losses as it's part of future proofing.  Not sure I quite agree with that approach but then I'm neither a football CEO nor an investor in football either.

Towards the end of the interview he talks about having players out there who've previously left the club but they expect that they'll get sell-on fees coming in soon.  This is exactly what I think we're trying to do, certainly with Conteh.  

I think he talks sense , I like the thinking of making sure their lowest ebb is higher if they do badly - something we should be mindful of in terms of not going out of the league at least .

He seems to indicate that their natural level would be bottom end league 1 at best without the investment which is probably our ceiling in truth .

In the wider perspective I can't see the football regulator happening anytime soon  and when the new TV money comes in , clubs who don't care about trying to run at any sort of sustainable level just push it all into player wages with clubs like Town and Lincoln just having to lose more money just to compete at league 1 or 2 .

It's the Readings ,Wigans , Coventry's and many more examples that irk me when they overspend massively (money they have not got /will never have) without no particular punishment apart from a minor points deduction with lot's of glory in the meantime whereas the better run clubs get less glory or reward for doing things the right way

I think clubs should be booted out of the league for serious financial problems and not paying wages , I'm not saying finish the clubs but make it more of a deterrent of trying to chase the dream they can never afford

We need a few more Conteh's

We should thank Lincoln for Joe Hutchinson though he's made us ££££ just to start.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 312
mariner91
January 26, 2024, 8:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,744
Gold Stars: 262
They’re further along towards a regulator than you’d think. Ironically, they had a meeting with Liam Scully this week to get his view on things.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 312
Mappers
January 26, 2024, 8:39am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,434
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from mariner91
They’re further along towards a regulator than you’d think. Ironically, they had a meeting with Liam Scully this week to get his view on things.

I hope so , it just seems to have been talked about for years.

As more and more clubs get into a mess - how that joker (Hilton)  at our neighbours ever got to own a football club is laughable .

Would it even apply to NL and lower, or just the league?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 312
mariner91
January 26, 2024, 8:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,744
Gold Stars: 262
Current plan would be for professional teams which they’re classing as the Prem, FL and NL but not the regional leagues. Or so I’ve been told.

For what it's worth, JS has been one of the people within football that they've discussed it with the most.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 312
jamesgtfc
January 26, 2024, 9:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from RonMariner
I think I read somewhere that they had lost £6 million over the previous four years now another £2.6m.

So £8.6 million down the pan and they are mid table L1. As we have seen countless times, the willingness of owners to keep pumping millions into a football club year after year usually comes to an end at some point with dire consequences for the club.

I do wonder what the game plan is for the owners. Do they simply have money to burn or is there some strategy to somehow turn a profit on their investment?

They must have a figure that they are willing to put in overall, and you have to wonder how long they are content to lose £2m+ every year to finish mid-table in the third tier.

It is worth nothing that they are a brilliant appointment away from promotion and a poor appointment away from relegation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 312
Yoda
January 26, 2024, 9:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
A 2.6 million loss and that’s with 640k from the sell on of Harry Toffolo soon effect 3.25 million pound loss crazy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 312
NorfolkImp
February 28, 2024, 7:47am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -524
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from jamesgtfc

They must have a figure that they are willing to put in overall, and you have to wonder how long they are content to lose £2m+ every year to finish mid-table in the third tier.

It is worth nothing that they are a brilliant appointment away from promotion and a poor appointment away from relegation.

On the evidence of last night and the past dozen or so games, I’d say the former.

The magical 50 point mark passed with 11 games to spare, Michael Skubala’s Imps have got the locals whispering about a late play-off push? With 3 out of the next 4 at home, stranger things have happened … we shall see?

Private Message
Reply: 147 - 312
grassbandits
February 28, 2024, 9:42am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +123
Gold Stars: 5
My understanding was the increased TV money from next season was factored into the short term budgeting for Imps and why they were allowed to run with such a big shortfall this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 312
pizzzza
February 28, 2024, 9:48am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,717
Gold Stars: 137
Wow, The Imps are truly in their golden period right now.
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 312
32 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Lincoln City

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.