Mappers
December 8, 2023, 6:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Where next for our great home ?

Had some fantastic times over the years there , and my heart says we should stay and improve our beloved home .

Stood on the terraces in the 80's it was something special 'the buzz' I'm sure others have memories further back , some much further .

But since the all seater , and it falling further and further into disrepair we need a future ; I'm not sure it's where I want it to be .

The current custodians have 'not got a magic wand' but we need one otherwise it is going to mean we have no where to play - since they have taken over they have been tucked up into paying over 2 million quid probably for our former 'custodians' attempt to run a football club like a five star fish factory. They seem good guys , really good one's take somes political agenda away and they are just fans like the rest of us .

How do we 'make good ' the years of neglect to the stadium or move to another without the magic money tree , enabling development or an Extreme Leisure that actually build ?

Where next for Blundell Park , where next for us as a club ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
It Bites
December 8, 2023, 6:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,162
Gold Stars: 264
No wonder JF has vanished. He’s won big time hasn’t he
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 114
ska face
December 8, 2023, 6:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Don’t worry gents, when I win the euromillions tonight we’ll be moving to a lovely new, red brick 20k seater on the docks.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 114
Grantham_Mariner
December 8, 2023, 6:58pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from ska face
Don’t worry gents, when I win the euromillions tonight we’ll be moving to a lovely new, red brick 20k seater on the docks.

Only 20k !

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 114
Southwark Mariner
December 8, 2023, 7:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Only 20k !

It's 30k but the ones around his are not available on a match day
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 114
lew chaterleys lover
December 8, 2023, 7:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Mappers
Where next for our great home ?

Had some fantastic times over the years there , and my heart says we should stay and improve our beloved home .

Stood on the terraces in the 80's it was something special 'the buzz' I'm sure others have memories further back , some much further .

But since the all seater , and it falling further and further into disrepair we need a future ; I'm not sure it's where I want it to be .

The current custodians have 'not got a magic wand' but we need one otherwise it is going to mean we have no where to play - since they have taken over they have been tucked up into paying over 2 million quid probably for our former 'custodians' attempt to run a football club like a five star fish factory. They seem good guys , really good one's take somes political agenda away and they are just fans like the rest of us .

How do we 'make good ' the years of neglect to the stadium or move to another without the magic money tree , enabling development or an Extreme Leisure that actually build ?

Where next for Blundell Park , where next for us as a club ?

I wouldn't be as gloomy as that. Yes we need to catch up with the maintenance and sprucing up but a full and vocal BP still sets the pulses racing.

Obviously something will need doing in the future but I am pinning my hopes on a new full length Main Stand and other improvements.  

Unless we really do move up the leagues and get huge investment a new stadium is beyond reach isn't it?
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 114
Mappers
December 8, 2023, 7:48pm
Champagne Drinker

I wouldn't be as gloomy as that. Yes we need to catch up with the maintenance and sprucing up but a full and vocal BP still sets the pulses racing.

Obviously something will need doing in the future but I am pinning my hopes on a new full length Main Stand and other improvements.  

Unless we really do move up the leagues and get huge investment a new stadium is beyond reach isn't it?

I agree to an extent

But how do the lads fund that ?

2 million down already

6 million on a new training ground

How much would a refurbished /extened Main cost
Another 2-4million probably ?

Bonkers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 114
ska face
December 8, 2023, 7:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Only 20k !

We don’t want any rabble in the shiny new ground.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 114
ginnywings
December 8, 2023, 8:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,131
Gold Stars: 548
I'm currently more worried about on the pitch, rather than off it. I don't want to be watching non league footy yet again, even if it is in a much improved stadium.

I think at some point they will bring in investors, as they intend to do to finance the training ground. I reckon they know what they are doing and have a plan, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over ground maintenance. We can't afford a new stadium, so they will have to do what they have to do to keep the old place operational.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 114
Mappers
December 8, 2023, 8:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm currently more worried about on the pitch, rather than off it. I don't want to be watching non league footy yet again, even if it is in a much improved stadium.

I think at some point they will bring in investors, as they intend to do to finance the training ground. I reckon they know what they are doing and have a plan, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over ground maintenance. We can't afford a new stadium, so they will have to do what they have to do to keep the old place operational.

Bur the infrastructure is non league and however many fans or stickkng plasters we put on it that's the harsh reality really isn't it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 114
jamesgtfc
December 8, 2023, 8:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Mappers

Bur the infrastructure is non league and however many fans or stickkng plasters we put on it that's the harsh reality really isn't it?

The 8,500 capacity York Community Stadium cost £44m.

The 4,000 capacity Boston Community Stadium cost £12m. That got them 3 stands, 2 of which are terraces with about 5 rows, so they only got one decent stand for the £12m. How much the fourth stand with a sports ball behind it will cost in the current climate is anyone's guess. The Boston chairman owns Chestnut Homes, who have the enabling development on the other side of the roundabout.

It's just not going to happen. I just can't see how it happens in a manner that doesn't pose a huge risk of crippling us financially.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 114
Mappers
December 8, 2023, 8:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

But the infrastructure is non league and however many fans or stickkng plasters we put on it that's the harsh reality really isn't it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 114
Mappers
December 8, 2023, 8:58pm
Champagne Drinker

How do we 'catch up ' though
The footprint for the stadium is limited both in capacity and other non football related income .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 114
Mappers
December 8, 2023, 9:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

The 8,500 capacity York Community Stadium cost £44m.

The 4,000 capacity Boston Community Stadium cost £12m. That got them 3 stands, 2 of which are terraces with about 5 rows, so they only got one decent stand for the £12m. How much the fourth stand with a sports ball behind it will cost in the current climate is anyone's guess. The Boston chairman owns Chestnut Homes, who have the enabling development on the other side of the roundabout.

It's just not going to happen. I just can't see how it happens in a manner that doesn't pose a huge risk of crippling us financially.

We need 13k stadium minimum , agree or disagree on the tick and × thing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 114
grimsby pete
December 8, 2023, 9:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
When the main stand accidently  catches fire in the summer before any repair work is carried out.

We can use the insurance money to construct a new stand covering the length of the pitch.

NB.  No humans or animals were hurt in the fire.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 114
ginnywings
December 8, 2023, 9:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Mappers

But the infrastructure is non league and however many fans or stickkng plasters we put on it that's the harsh reality really isn't it?

The infrastructure has been that way since I started going in the early 70's, so I'm not going to start worrying about it now.

In that time, we have been incredibly bad and incredibly good on the pitch, and I never really worried about the surroundings.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 114
jamesgtfc
December 8, 2023, 9:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

We need 13k stadium minimum , agree or disagree on the tick and × thing

Quick maths using the York and Boston values suggest that a 13k stadium would cost us between £39-67m. How is that being paid for in a manner that doesn't put the clubs future at risk or compromising the playing budget?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 114
December 8, 2023, 9:24pm
Guest User
It's not is the simple answer.

Whilst I've no doubt our owners are wealthy they are not in the realms of others who can afford to lay out £50m.

We are unfashionable so unlikely to attract investors to supplement it.

We don't even have the money for a training ground so there's no hope of a new ground.
Reply: 17 - 114
Poojah
December 8, 2023, 9:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,539
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Quick maths using the York and Boston values suggest that a 13k stadium would cost us between £39-67m. How is that being paid for in a manner that doesn't put the clubs future at risk or compromising the playing budget?

York’s ground is owned, and was paid for, by the city of York council. It’s shared by York City and the York City Knights rugby team.

The circa £40m figure isn’t just for the stadium (which is neat but basic), it includes the adjoining retail and leisure complex which includes a large cinema, bowling alley, indoor golf, gym, swimming pool, climbing centre, cafes etc. That said, it’s another example of a ground which had most of its costs locked in before the hike in construction costs sparked by Covid.

Boston I’m less sure about, but again it was built mostly pre-Covid.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 114
jamesgtfc
December 8, 2023, 9:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

York’s ground is owned, and was paid for, by the city of York council. It’s shared by York City and the York City Knights rugby team.

The circa £40m figure isn’t just for the stadium (which is neat but basic), it includes the adjoining retail and leisure complex which includes a large cinema, bowling alley, indoor golf, gym, swimming pool, climbing centre, cafes etc. That said, it’s another example of a ground which had most of its costs locked in before the hike in construction costs sparked by Covid.

The Boston stadium is part of a wider development called The Quadrant with a new housing estate built by Chestnut Homes, that the Boston Chairman owns.

That stadium itself is actually a CIC with lots of protection from future wrong'uns and a peppercorn rent agreement in place for years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 114
Yoda
December 8, 2023, 10:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
If we could be gifted the land by the council there must be grants available i think 20 million would build you a stadium of say 16-18k.
Taken over 25-30 years not that expensive we are spending more on BP every year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 114
Poojah
December 8, 2023, 10:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,539
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Yoda
If we could be gifted the land by the council there must be grants available i think 20 million would build you a stadium of say 16-18k.
Taken over 25-30 years not that expensive we are spending more on BP every year.

Land’s not the biggest issue. What you describe is more or less what happened with Rotherham. The council gave them some brownfield land on the edge of the town centre (not far from Millmoor), and they built a cracking 12,000 capacity ground for £20m. 16-18k would have cost way more, btw.

But it’s been 11 years since the New York Stadium opened, and 12 years since it broke ground. So much has happened economically since then, to the point that the same ground built by the docks or on Freeman Street is costing you more like £40m today. I’ve shown my workings out previously and, unrelated, it’s the same figure that Stockwood quoted at the recent forum.

£40m is a fúckload of money for a League Two club to try and find by whatever means. Regrettably, I think we’ve missed the boat.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 114
ginnywings
December 8, 2023, 10:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Poojah

Land’s not the biggest issue. What you describe is more or less what happened with Rotherham. The council gave them some brownfield land on the edge of the town centre (not far from Millmoor), and they built a cracking 12,000 capacity ground for £20m. 16-18k would have cost way more, btw.

But it’s been 11 years since the New York Stadium opened, and 12 years since it broke ground. So much has happened economically since then, to the point that the same ground built by the docks or on Freeman Street is costing you more like £40m today. I’ve shown my workings out previously and, unrelated, it’s the same figure that Stockwood quoted at the recent forum.

£40m is a fúckload of money for a League Two club to try and find by whatever means. Regrettably, I think we’ve missed the boat.

Yep.

The price of labour and materials has gone up by an eye watering amount in the last 3 years.

Every time I go to a timber or builders merchant, I am staggered by the cost of materials. They just keep on rising, and that's if you can source them to begin with. Plenty of projects are grinding to a halt because of skills and materials shortages, with long lead times, and tradesmen simply downing tools and fecking off because someone more desperate has offered them more money.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 114
Mappers
December 8, 2023, 10:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

But we are bigger than York City so surely need something fitting of that ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 114
ginnywings
December 8, 2023, 10:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Mappers

But York is bigger and more prosperous than Grimsby.

Nobody will want to invest in one of the poorest towns in the UK, whilst York is far more attractive to investors. The size of the football club is irrelevant in this case, and the York ground is part of a bigger development as mentioned in a previous post.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 114
Yoda
December 8, 2023, 10:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
Construction rates dropping at the moment and settling down from the crazy prices of covid.
A four sided stadium no tiers that costs a lot more a bit like notts county would no where near 40 nearer 30.
Boston’s is a cracking new ground it doesn’t have to be all seater we could have two ends standing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 114
jamesgtfc
December 8, 2023, 11:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Yoda
Construction rates dropping at the moment and settling down from the crazy prices of covid.
A four sided stadium no tiers that costs a lot more a bit like notts county would no where near 40 nearer 30.
Boston’s is a cracking new ground it doesn’t have to be all seater we could have two ends standing.

We can't have standing as we were in the second tier in 1994.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 114
Mappers
December 8, 2023, 11:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

But York is bigger and more prosperous than Grimsby.

Nobody will want to invest in one of the poorest towns in the UK, whilst York is far more attractive to investors. The size of the football club is irrelevant in this case, and the York ground is part of a bigger development as mentioned in a previous post.

That's what breaks my heart though

That thinking , I moved away many moons ago but Town are still my /our club and if a club with a street from Harry Potter and a designer outlet trumps ours I am lost for words
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 114
jamesgtfc
December 8, 2023, 11:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

Whilst GTFC may be bigger than YCFC, York as a city is much more attractive than NELC. Our area doesn't have a successful rugby team to share the rent with like they do either, making it an even less attractive proposition to a potential landlord.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 114
RichMariner
December 8, 2023, 11:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
There's nothing wrong with ambition and a bit of imagination.

Unfortunately, the time comes when reality bites. We can't have everything we want. Not saying we should just down tools, but we need to be realistic about what is achievable given the world we now live in.

The possibility of a new stadium will always remain, but right now the money needs to be spent on BP.

We need to make it better than what it is, while not compromising on the funds needed to invest in the first team squad and youth academy — because if both the first team squad and youth academy succeed, then they will raise the capital needed to invest in the club's infrastructure (and maybe help raise the money to fill in the corners and make BP feel a bit more like it used to).

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 29 - 114
TownSNAFU5
December 9, 2023, 12:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
I support the views of RichMariner.  If we can be successful on the pitch then revenues will increase.  As well as optimism and confidence.

This will increase the need to spend on BP (maintenance and higher capacity).  We have the Main Stand and 2 corners to look at in some way.  

We don’t have a realistic option of a new stadium.  Any costs estimate would surely increase considerably over time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 114
WOZOFGRIMSBY
December 9, 2023, 3:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 178
New stadiums, for all their fur coat and frilly knickers, are all well and good but having the money to be able to build it is a totally different kettle of fish.

You have the land to pay for (unless it’s council land)  and go through the rigmarole of having to plan capacity, design, parking etc.

Then if it is built, you’ve maybe got to think that your pre match meal and pint, could be served in Frankie and bennys Nando’s tgi Fridays etc.

The ticketing price would then have to be rolled out so that the club/investors are able to recoup some of their financial backing.

Personally, am firmly on the fence of the new v’s old ground scenario. I love blundell park, and the memories it has contained in it goes back many generations. But, the main stand and osmond (maybe even the ponny too)  have had their day and now need to be redeveloped to bring the facilies up to an acceptable standard.

But, with regards to a new ground, I think we all know that it is very very unlikely to happen within any immediate period of time and blundell park will remain our home for the foreseeable future.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 114
GibMariner
December 9, 2023, 5:03am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from Poojah

Agree and can’t fathom why did the new owners turn their back on Freeman street. There seemed to be so much going for that opportunity at that time. Free land, political support and potential Government money was a first.

Could well be a missed opportunity indeed. The one that got away.

And where do you get 6 million for a training ground. Seems hugely inflated figures are being plucked out of the air to put matters promoted by professional investors on the back burner.

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 114
lew chaterleys lover
December 9, 2023, 6:13am
Vodka Drinker
The talk of York is interesting.

My in laws are big York City fans, at least some of them are and the others are Leeds United fans, some are Leeds rugby fans and some York rugby fans. That is the problem for York City - there are many better and varied alternatives.

That is not the case for us. North East Lincolnshire has a population fast approaching 200k, York is about 220k or something like that. We are in a very strong position if we can find success on the field.

People might think York is a better prospect as a place but like everywhere else it has its own problems. We also have our problems but the area as a whole is well placed to take advantage of the green revolution and with owners who have a vision to put GTFC at the forefront of any renaissance the future could be good, marvellous or outstanding.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 114
Maringer
December 9, 2023, 7:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
Interest rates are very high at present as well as the BoE tries to drive us into recession. Financing a new stadium in this climate would be almost impossible. Bear in mind that interest rates were in effect negative (when low inflation was taken into account) for many years following the global financial crisis back in 2008.

That probably helped a few of the smaller clubs build their new stadia. Councils across the country are beginning to go bankrupt as their grants have been slashed year on year so can't expect any help from that direction.

Redevelopment of BP the only real option so we'll just have to keep putting the sticking plasters on until conditions (hopefully) improve at some point in the future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 114
golfer
December 9, 2023, 7:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,435
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mappers

I agree to an extent

But how do the lads fund that ?

2 million down already

6 million on a new training ground

How much would a refurbished /extened Main cost
Another 2-4million probably ?

Bonkers

6 million on a training ground when we have a permanent training ground when the tide is out.  Harden them up !
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 114
jimgtfc
December 9, 2023, 8:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,086
Gold Stars: 45
Just to rub salt into the wound, Wrexham are receiving £25 million from the Welsh Government towards their new stand. Crystal Palace have also publicly stated they are seeking £45 million towards the redevelopment of their potential new stand. There are possible grants available that I’m sure Jason, Debbie and in particular Andrew, are well aware of. There’s the Premier League stadium fund, previously known as the Football Stadia Improvement Fund, which allows clubs at our level to apply for up to £750,000 worth of grants towards stadium redevelopments. At a guess, publicly funding a new main stand is our only hope of any changes to BP any time soon.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 114
December 9, 2023, 9:29am
Guest User
Quoted from Yoda

What you think and what is reality are two different things.  No way in hell can you build a 16-18k stadium for 20 million.

Reply: 37 - 114
toontown
December 9, 2023, 10:42am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Yoda

We can't have standing because it would be against the law, clubs in the top two tiers when the law was made have to have all seating stadiums, regardless of what level they play at. Bonkers but the law. Terracing isn't an option for us until the law is changed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 114
jimgtfc
December 9, 2023, 11:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,086
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from toontown

We can't have standing because it would be against the law, clubs in the top two tiers when the law was made have to have all seating stadiums, regardless of what level they play at. Bonkers but the law. Terracing isn't an option for us until the law is changed.

The law has changed, slightly. You can now apply to have ‘safe standing’, which was all the rage 5 years ago, but most fans who use it don’t actually like it, and it actually reduces overall attendance.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 114
Mappers
February 7, 2024, 4:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Should be a decent crowd in on Saturday , Stockport sold over  1k which is good going , Colchester on Tuesday and then Doncaster the next Saturday .....

Big big week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 114
arryarryarry
February 7, 2024, 4:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Quoted from Mappers
Should be a decent crowd in on Saturday , Stockport sold over  1k which is good going , Colchester on Tuesday and then Doncaster the next Saturday .....

Big big week

I would be amazed if they don't sell out, in fact that would be pretty poor considering where they are in the League.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 114
mimma
February 7, 2024, 5:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
There was talk of building a relief road from the Great Coates roundabout to Bradley. That would open up a lot of potential land for a new stadium. The only problem is lack of foresight in the council.
Unfortunately if this ever happens it will be after I am well gone from this planet.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 114
arryarryarry
February 7, 2024, 5:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,044
Quoted from mimma
There was talk of building a relief road from the Great Coates roundabout to Bradley. That would open up a lot of potential land for a new stadium. The only problem is lack of foresight in the council.
Unfortunately if this ever happens it will be after I am well gone from this planet.

The relief road would go from the roundabout near Great Coates to the roundabout near Morrisons on the Laceby By-pass.

I think the locals were up in arms about it and don't want it not the council.

Private Message
Reply: 43 - 114
NorthseaMariner
February 7, 2024, 6:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
The locals would be up in arms if we tried to build a stadium anywhere in NE Lincs.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 114
Limerick Mariner
February 7, 2024, 6:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Mappers

Big big week

Our sales are slightly slower than for Notts, which had about 200 left unsold. Should still be over 7k.

Although Stockport are above us in the away averages ( so they should be as they been p!sing the league almost from the start) some of their followings have been a bit low. 1,625 to Donny recently. Would have expected over 2k for that - similar distance as us to Bradford
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 114
Nelly GTFC
February 7, 2024, 6:23pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,748
Gold Stars: 31
The talk of York is interesting.

My in laws are big York City fans, at least some of them are and the others are Leeds United fans, some are Leeds rugby fans and some York rugby fans. That is the problem for York City - there are many better and varied alternatives.

That is not the case for us. North East Lincolnshire has a population fast approaching 200k, York is about 220k or something like that. We are in a very strong position if we can find success on the field.

People might think York is a better prospect as a place but like everywhere else it has its own problems. We also have our problems but the area as a whole is well placed to take advantage of the green revolution and with owners who have a vision to put GTFC at the forefront of any renaissance the future could be good, marvellous or outstanding.
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but it states just for Grimsby - Total Population 1911 to 1961: Population grew from 74,659 in 1911 to 96,712 in 1961 >> https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/unit/10000567

According to this 85,911 living in Grimsby of which 78,843 are UK citizens in 2021 >> https://citypopulation.de/en/uk/yorkshireandthehumber/north_east_lincolnshire/E63001128__grimsby/

North East Lincolnshire was 161,300 in 1981 and had fallen to 159,600 by 2019 >> https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/everything-2011-census-told-grimsby-5087215

For North East Lincolnshire, 2001 Census = 157,979 and for 2021 Census = 156,966 of which 146,658 are UK citizens >> https://citypopulation.de/en/uk/yorkshireandthehumber/admin/E06000012__north_east_lincolnshire/

The population of North East Lincolnshire fell by 1.7%, from around 159,600 in 2011 to around 157,000 in 2021 >> https://www.ons.gov.uk/visualisations/censusareachanges/E06000012/

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 114
DB
February 7, 2024, 9:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,003
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
The locals would be up in arms if we tried to build a stadium anywhere in NE Lincs.

They have a total lack of vision for the future.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 114
The Caterham Mariner
February 7, 2024, 9:33pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +80
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from ska face

Your not the only one .....If i win the lottery
Too, would not waste my money down here.
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 114
Heswall Mariner
February 7, 2024, 9:37pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from DB

They have a total lack of vision for the future.

Not so sure on this one. I have been a fan for nigh on 65 years. Yes it would be a dream for me to be able to walk into a fabulous Mariners stadium from my home.
However I can fully empathise with those in the neighbourhood who maybe wouldn't share my enthusiasm for what could be an influx of anti-social yobs every couple of weeks.
Then again I may be considered to be  a miserable old fart - Rock on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 114
The Caterham Mariner
February 7, 2024, 9:39pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
[quote=3674]

It's 30k but the ones around his are not available on a match day[/quote
NOT TO BIG ..a ground  not a stadium..as away fans could taunt with the old favorite  " Your Grounds to big for you !" Colchester and Oxford  Utd, Gillingham spring to mind.
UTM.

In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 114
Marinerdeano
February 7, 2024, 10:11pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Call me simplistic but whilst cost might be an issue for a new main stand, I really don't think space should be. If a stand were to be built full length, even with leg room and at the same height/depth I'd guess we could have a stand that holds 3,500 and if you look at the Pontoon, you can see at that end the stand doesn't quite extend full width so maybe a new Main Stand could be moved a bit further forward too to provide more space.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 114
mimma
February 7, 2024, 10:28pm
Brandy Drinker
The ground is right up against the houses, don't think for a minute they would want stands that are higher and tower over their property. The council would never allow it
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 114
Marinerdeano
February 7, 2024, 10:40pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from mimma
The ground is right up against the houses, don't think for a minute they would want stands that are higher and tower over their property. The council would never allow it

Buy why would it have to? In fact given the shape of the current Main Stand roof sloping up, it may actually not be as high.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 114
mimma
February 8, 2024, 1:06am
Brandy Drinker
This has been done to death before, because the ground is built up to houses, the locals would block it, and it would be impossible to get planning permission, no council would allow it. Buying up the houses, as has been sugested, would cost more than building a new stadium, and that's if all the residents were willing to sell.

The catchment area for us is over 200,000, including parts of N. Lincolnshire and Lincolnshire, with no real rivals for support other than say Lincoln, maybe Hull if they get back into the prem.That's about the same as Ipswich for example.There's no reason why we couldn't do well with the right investment and foresight, but that is what is so lacking.We are one of the few clubs that have taken over 30,000 to Wembley in the lower leagues. The potential is there, it just needs realising.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 114
lew chaterleys lover
February 8, 2024, 8:09am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mimma
This has been done to death before, because the ground is built up to houses, the locals would block it, and it would be impossible to get planning permission, no council would allow it. Buying up the houses, as has been sugested, would cost more than building a new stadium, and that's if all the residents were willing to sell.

The catchment area for us is over 200,000, including parts of N. Lincolnshire and Lincolnshire, with no real rivals for support other than say Lincoln, maybe Hull if they get back into the prem.That's about the same as Ipswich for example.There's no reason why we couldn't do well with the right investment and foresight, but that is what is so lacking.We are one of the few clubs that have taken over 30,000 to Wembley in the lower leagues. The potential is there, it just needs realising.

I agree with the 200k figure because a lot of North Lincolnshire and East Lindsey is prime Mariners territory so the potential is obviously there.

I think the point about a new Main stand is that the outlook would be much improved for the residents, instead of the hotchpotch of stuff there now. A good architect will work wonders.

Let's hope we get a successful period and we really have to increase capacity and make big improvements to BP.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 114
mariner91
February 8, 2024, 8:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,651
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from mimma

There's absolutely no chance that buying the houses behind the Main Stand would cost even close to what a new stadium would cost.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 114
HertsGTFC
February 8, 2024, 9:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,925
Gold Stars: 228
We would have to have significant playing success for a sustained period before we could hope to attract the kind of gates that would make any development worthwhile.

Even under Buckley the crowds weren't massive, we had a real purple patch in the late 70s and early 80s. when we'd often break 10K+ but if I recall right that was often supplemented by Sheff U/W, Barnsley, Rotherham and clubs like Leeds and Wolves who where at that level too.

"Build it and they will come" has far too much risk attached.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 114
NorthseaMariner
February 8, 2024, 9:33am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
You are right, it was supplemented by large clubs of today. However away supporters didn’t trave in such large numbers. You have to remember everyone had to go by single carriageway roads, no M180 etc. and had to get across Keadby bridge. So Travel from Leeds, Sheffield and so on was a long old haul..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 114
Mappers
February 8, 2024, 10:22am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
We would have to have significant playing success for a sustained period before we could hope to attract the kind of gates that would make any development worthwhile.

Even under Buckley the crowds weren't massive, we had a real purple patch in the late 70s and early 80s. when we'd often break 10K+ but if I recall right that was often supplemented by Sheff U/W, Barnsley, Rotherham and clubs like Leeds and Wolves who where at that level too.

"Build it and they will come" has far too much risk attached.

The problem is comparing decades is like comparing apples and oranges - 80's and 90's crowds were much lower throughout ,teams that get higher crowds now - Hull, Rotherham , Stockport , Bradford and Wrexham off the top of my head were getting lower than us 3 or 4k most weeks and now attract regular 5 figure crowds .

Now attendance since covid at least has had a major upturn , we are getting 6k+ regular being bottom end league 2 .

We can't offer more than 1200 to away fans which would be more of a problem a league up if we manage to get there - I don't know if there are thousands out there who want to go , but even now we need at least 1k more home seats and to be able to offer the full away end to the bigger teams .

But they obviously don't see it as viable at this time , even though early on in their second season Pettit said we were 'looking at something more permanent' in terms of capacity increase ; I'm not sure what happened with that ,maybe the nasty suprises with the Main & findus/  cost  put a stop to the idea?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 114
Theimperialcoroner
February 8, 2024, 10:24am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,211
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from mariner91

There's absolutely no chance that buying the houses behind the Main Stand would cost even close to what a new stadium would cost.

About £2.5m (21 houses @ £120k)

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 114
rancido
February 8, 2024, 10:32am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,568
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
You are right, it was supplemented by large clubs of today. However away supporters didn’t trave in such large numbers. You have to remember everyone had to go by single carriageway roads, no M180 etc. and had to get across Keadby bridge. So Travel from Leeds, Sheffield and so on was a long old haul..

Certainly the period from 1979/80 season to 1986/87 season was a " purple patch" in average attendances at BP and has not been reached since. This was a period when the official capacity at BP exceeded 20,000. 1979/80 we were in the old Div 3 and got promoted with an average BP attendance of10,618. The following season in Div 2 we averaged 10,961 but then , for whatever reasons, over the next 6 seasons the average attendance dropped each year until our relegation in 1986/87 when we averaged 5050.  The averages were 1981/82 - 8406, 1982/83  -7745, 1983/84 - 7643 ( and we finished 5 th in Div 2 ), 1984/85 - 6640 ( finished 10th Div 2) and 1985/86 - 5157 ( finished 15th Div 2 ). There certainly seemed to be an apathy or disinterest in watching town at BP despite the fact that we were in the equivalent of the Championship then. The 1983/84 season is particularly interesting considering our final league position. Even  London clubs like Crystal Palace, Fulham and Charlton attracted attendances below 6100 with the lowest attendances 4825 against Oldham and 4826 against Blackburn Rovers.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 114
Ruston AT
February 8, 2024, 10:49am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +431
Gold Stars: 10

As it was once said, " Build it and they will come"     LoL !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 114
mariner91
February 8, 2024, 10:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ruston AT

As it was once said, " Build it and they will come"     LoL !

Your market research is field of dreams? I mean, a man who made a baseball pitch in his garden for ghosts? That's your role model?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 114
HerveJosse
February 8, 2024, 2:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from rancido

Certainly the period from 1979/80 season to 1986/87 season was a " purple patch" in average attendances at BP and has not been reached since. This was a period when the official capacity at BP exceeded 20,000. 1979/80 we were in the old Div 3 and got promoted with an average BP attendance of10,618. The following season in Div 2 we averaged 10,961 but then , for whatever reasons, over the next 6 seasons the average attendance dropped each year until our relegation in 1986/87 when we averaged 5050.  The averages were 1981/82 - 8406, 1982/83  -7745, 1983/84 - 7643 ( and we finished 5 th in Div 2 ), 1984/85 - 6640 ( finished 10th Div 2) and 1985/86 - 5157 ( finished 15th Div 2 ). There certainly seemed to be an apathy or disinterest in watching town at BP despite the fact that we were in the equivalent of the Championship then. The 1983/84 season is particularly interesting considering our final league position. Even  London clubs like Crystal Palace, Fulham and Charlton attracted attendances below 6100 with the lowest attendances 4825 against Oldham and 4826 against Blackburn Rovers.

Heysel1985 and the subsequent lengthy European ban had a substantial effect on attendances across the English game . Football supporters were regarded as caged pyrahas in many parts of society. Then there was Hillsborough and all seater stadiums . It took the birth of the Premier league and more widespread televised live football to rehabilitate the game . Our attendances mirrored that trend and would have been much lower had we not been in the top half of the championship equivalent at the tiime.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 114
Mappers
February 8, 2024, 2:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Whatever they say on record maybe different to what Stockwood & Pettit think .

Simple maths gives you the conclusion that we need more capacity just based on the fact we are using the osmond corner and filling it for half the games at least so we are typically 500 + over our natural home capacity for half the big games without being able to offer 600 more away tickets . Viability must be the issue you would suspect.

I still think there is room for hundreds of seats as it stands to be added probably not 1000's but the main has a bit at the back , and the pontoon has the room for 80-100 more at the back . Reconfiguring the seats might add aswell . It would be interesting to know if they have looked into any of this or not .

The main needs a new roof sometime soon at least you would suspect .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 114
louth_in_the_south
February 8, 2024, 4:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,681
Quoted from mimma

Has anyone actually asked the opinion of the people who live in the houses on Harrington St instead of just guessing that they’d block ang proposed new main stand ?

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 114
Maringer
February 8, 2024, 4:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

Has anyone actually asked the opinion of the people who live in the houses on Harrington St instead of just guessing that they’d block ang proposed new main stand ?

The law of averages would probably indicate that few wouldn't be too happy with it.

We hear a lot about NIMBYs, but this would really be a pretty substantial development by their back yard!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 114
paulmblythe
February 8, 2024, 5:04pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +116
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from arryarryarry

The relief road would go from the roundabout near Great Coates to the roundabout near Morrisons on the Laceby By-pass.

I think the locals were up in arms about it and don't want it not the council.

A lot of people on the Wybers where up in arms about it and voted in a councillor who was against it. Seems madness to me. I live nearby and anything that eases the traffic on great Coates road is a no brainer to me. Only at the weekend someone was killed on that road and its a bottleneck for people leaving the town, especially so when the A180 is closed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 114
ginnywings
February 8, 2024, 5:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

They would be informed of any developments of course, but the oft repeated claim that residents can stop stuff getting built just by opposing it is simply not true, but is often repeated on here.

There is a pre existing structure for a start, so it's not like the residents will suddenly have their view spoiled by a stand appearing over the summer. "I don't like it" is not a valid reason to get something blocked.

Not that I'm expecting the owners to go this route anyway, but if they did, there would be a consultation with the residents, and it would get the go ahead in my opinion.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 114
rancido
February 8, 2024, 6:40pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

They would be informed of any developments of course, but the oft repeated claim that residents can stop stuff getting built just by opposing it is simply not true, but is often repeated on here.

There is a pre existing structure for a start, so it's not like the residents will suddenly have their view spoiled by a stand appearing over the summer. "I don't like it" is not a valid reason to get something blocked.

Not that I'm expecting the owners to go this route anyway, but if they did, there would be a consultation with the residents, and it would get the go ahead in my opinion.

You may have a point providing the developed stand covers the same footprint, the same height and capacity. Once you exceed those parameters then you are open to legitimate objections. Any increase in size would be classed as " intrusive and an invasion of privacy " and increased capacity would lead to objections for greater footfall and available parking. Consequently if you built "like for like " then all you would get is a more up to date stand with no advantage in increased capacity and revenue.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 114
lew chaterleys lover
February 8, 2024, 6:45pm
Vodka Drinker
If I lived there I would want as many improvements done to BP as possible so it improves my view, just like we would all want our immediate surroundings to improve.

What's the alternative,  a stand which just get older and less attractive each year?

If it resulted in an increased capacity surely a solution can be found regarding increased traffic/parking.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 114
rancido
February 8, 2024, 7:08pm

Special Brew Drinker
If I lived there I would want as many improvements done to BP as possible so it improves my view, just like we would all want our immediate surroundings to improve.

What's the alternative,  a stand which just get older and less attractive each year?

If it resulted in an increased capacity surely a solution can be found regarding increased traffic/parking.

But what solution is possible?  Posters often mention Park and Ride but that would hardly be practical for a yearly use of 23 approx occasions a year and I can't see any other practical application for such a scheme. It might be possible to incorporate such a scheme using a town centre car park in conjunction with Stagecoach but that would still lead to increased traffic problems in the town. I don't see any available sites close to the ground that could be used for car parking and again you also encounter under useage on days other than match days.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 114
lew chaterleys lover
February 8, 2024, 7:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

But what solution is possible?  Posters often mention Park and Ride but that would hardly be practical for a yearly use of 23 approx occasions a year and I can't see any other practical application for such a scheme. It might be possible to incorporate such a scheme using a town centre car park in conjunction with Stagecoach but that would still lead to increased traffic problems in the town. I don't see any available sites close to the ground that could be used for car parking and again you also encounter under useage on days other than match days.

Even in the unlikely event of us trying to get a new stadium, there is always going to be congestion around a football stadium. Big car parks will be frowned upon anyway but the main point is that congestion around stadia is a fact of life so to a certain extent you have to accept it. Even if the capacity at BP was increased it is not the end of the world is it, otherwise we may as well give up completely.
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 114
Mappers
February 8, 2024, 7:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

You could get it done I'm sure , add in better disabled facilities  , maybe some sort of community hub and you are improving their community for a start - always thought a load more dog /dustbins down there would go down well , but then again maybe it's the residents putting mess allover the place , no end of times I have got to the car and had 'the smell' from one of my shoes when it's been dark .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 114
Azimuth
February 8, 2024, 11:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from mariner91

Depends if people want to sell, the club might have to offer three, four or more times the actual value of properties to incentivise the owners to sell and even then there is no guarantee that the club would achive to objective of buying every property.

Besides it would hardly be seen as fair play from the Club trying to force people from their homes, and not the high standard of social responsibility expected from a B Corp organisation.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 114
grimps
February 9, 2024, 7:31am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from rancido

I cant see that a bit of traffic once every two weeks is cause for objecting, there's traffic anyway so another 2000 wont make any difference
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 114
rancido
February 9, 2024, 8:00am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from grimps

I cant see that a bit of traffic once every two weeks is cause for objecting, there's traffic anyway so another 2000 wont make any difference

I'm sure if it was a development near where you live and had no interest in then you would have a different point if view.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 114
JK47
February 9, 2024, 8:13am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +189
The sort of money required can only come from one source - government levelling up money, and it SHOULD.  Look at some of the "leisure" facilities being funded 100% by the government even now.  The football club would then become a tenant and not responsible for funding the upkeep (and no future owner of GTFC could use it to fund some other business "opportunity" that did for other clubs!)
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 114
mariner91
February 9, 2024, 8:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Azimuth

Depends if people want to sell, the club might have to offer three, four or more times the actual value of properties to incentivise the owners to sell and even then there is no guarantee that the club would achive to objective of buying every property.

Besides it would hardly be seen as fair play from the Club trying to force people from their homes, and not the high standard of social responsibility expected from a B Corp organisation.

Even if you had to pay three or four times the market price, it's still not even close to the £10's of millions that would be needed for a new stadium.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 114
Croxton
February 9, 2024, 10:06am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Barnsley have found a way to improve Oakwell.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-68061594

Edit.   Barnsley Council already own adjoining land with Pool ,Leisure Centre, and Training ground I believe so suits all involved especially locals.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 114
GibMariner
February 9, 2024, 12:03pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from JK47
The sort of money required can only come from one source - government levelling up money, and it SHOULD.  Look at some of the "leisure" facilities being funded 100% by the government even now.  The football club would then become a tenant and not responsible for funding the upkeep (and no future owner of GTFC could use it to fund some other business "opportunity" that did for other clubs!)

Ship sailed.
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 114
HertsGTFC
February 9, 2024, 1:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Demolish Freshney Place and build a new facility there.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 114
GrimPol
February 9, 2024, 1:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -669
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from rancido

There you have it in a nutshell. A facility that is used around 50 hrs a year.  
Other clubs share costs with Rugby, or second teams. JF of course wanted to share the cost with some retail park, but that all disappeared and is a non-starter in today's high street shopping becoming deserts.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 114
DB
February 9, 2024, 2:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,003
Gold Stars: 386
Just been to Tesco's and overheard a conversation. "They're going to demolish the main stand". Of course in Tesco ' Every Little Helps' and Clubcard points too.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 114
Azimuth
February 9, 2024, 2:19pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from mariner91

Even if you had to pay three or four times the market price, it's still not even close to the £10's of millions that would be needed for a new stadium.

This is true, but remarkably difficult to get all residents to sell, it would only need one property owner to rufuse and the entire scheme would be delayed by months, years or decades.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 114
mariner91
February 9, 2024, 2:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Azimuth

This is true, but remarkably difficult to get all residents to sell, it would only need one property owner to rufuse and the entire scheme would be delayed by months, years or decades.

True. I remember reading about the difficulties Liverpool had when they wanted to extend the Main Stand. They then let the area fall in to disrepair to try and force the remaining residents out (allegedly) which is really not very ethical and I doubt very B-corp.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 114
Marinerdeano
February 9, 2024, 2:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Continuing my exploration for the existing footprint for a new Main Stand without need to purchase any properties, it looks like there is about 15m depth to play with, which is not too dissimilar to the most modern single tier stand at Sincil Bank and that holds 5,700.  This is looking at Google Maps. Even a 5,000 seat Main Stand would give us 2,500 extra seats and a capacity of around 11,000.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 114
ginnywings
February 9, 2024, 2:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
The Main Stand doesn't even go back to the boundary of the ground. There is space at the back for more rows of seats and with a cantilever roof, I doubt it would be any higher than the pitched roof already there, plus the highest part of the roof would be at the front, further away than it is now from the houses.

There is also the empty corner up to the Pontoon, so plenty of scope for a clever design if the owners wanted to go down this route. The stand could also house any number of different facilities.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 114
JK47
February 9, 2024, 2:57pm
Shandy Drinker
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 114
lew chaterleys lover
February 9, 2024, 3:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Marinerdeano
Continuing my exploration for the existing footprint for a new Main Stand without need to purchase any properties, it looks like there is about 15m depth to play with, which is not too dissimilar to the most modern single tier stand at Sincil Bank and that holds 5,700.  This is looking at Google Maps. Even a 5,000 seat Main Stand would give us 2,500 extra seats and a capacity of around 11,000.

All of which is common sense and perhaps a (best) way forward in the future.

The only major change I have seen in the structure of the ground is the Barrett stand being replaced with the Findus, and that is in over 60 years so it's not too much to hope for a new Main stand, if for the foreseeable future we need to stay at BP is it?
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 114
Marinerdan
February 9, 2024, 3:16pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from rancido

Park and ride could work but it’s not if it’s just for the football, it would get regular use in the summer if it continued on to the seafront.

Where I live the hospital has its own park and ride, it’s free for staff and 50p for patients. It’s really well used as parking at the hospital is a nightmare.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 114
Limerick Mariner
February 9, 2024, 3:24pm
Whiskey Drinker

All of which is common sense and perhaps a (best) way forward in the future.

The only major change I have seen in the structure of the ground is the Barrett stand being replaced with the Findus, and that is in over 60 years so it's not too much to hope for a new Main stand, if for the foreseeable future we need to stay at BP is it?

The pre-Fenty era architectural study came up with a 12,500 capacity I recall and the conclusion at the time was we were better moving to a new circa 14k stadium with potential to expand to 20k. I also seem to recall that there was talk of a 20k stadium minimum size for the Premiership at the time.

Since then we’ve had big construction cost inflation accompanied by sustainability and other building regs changes. With the funding side we’ve had the decimation of the potential for cross-subsidy from retail/commercial. Cross-subsidy, such as exists now is from residential. Unfortunately, that doesn’t work with NE Lincs values. Also has ticket revenue as a proportion of football club turnover fallen with the big increase in broadcast rights income - I expect so? If so that’s led to the likes of Bournemouth/ Luton being better able to compete.

All points to a stay put strategy unless something changes with the public sector. Lack of corporate / hospitality places is still a big issue for us though IMO.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 114
rancido
February 9, 2024, 3:33pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Marinerdan

Park and ride could work but it’s not if it’s just for the football, it would get regular use in the summer if it continued on to the seafront.

Where I live the hospital has its own park and ride, it’s free for staff and 50p for patients. It’s really well used as parking at the hospital is a nightmare.

But is it subsidised and if so, by who?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 114
Maringer
February 9, 2024, 3:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

True. I remember reading about the difficulties Liverpool had when they wanted to extend the Main Stand. They then let the area fall in to disrepair to try and force the remaining residents out (allegedly) which is really not very ethical and I doubt very B-corp.

Probably paid some scallies to smash the windows now and again as well...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 114
lew chaterleys lover
February 9, 2024, 4:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

The pre-Fenty era architectural study came up with a 12,500 capacity I recall and the conclusion at the time was we were better moving to a new circa 14k stadium with potential to expand to 20k. I also seem to recall that there was talk of a 20k stadium minimum size for the Premiership at the time.

Since then we’ve had big construction cost inflation accompanied by sustainability and other building regs changes. With the funding side we’ve had the decimation of the potential for cross-subsidy from retail/commercial. Cross-subsidy, such as exists now is from residential. Unfortunately, that doesn’t work with NE Lincs values. Also has ticket revenue as a proportion of football club turnover fallen with the big increase in broadcast rights income - I expect so? If so that’s led to the likes of Bournemouth/ Luton being better able to compete.

All points to a stay put strategy unless something changes with the public sector. Lack of corporate / hospitality places is still a big issue for us though IMO.

Thats the way it is looking.

Not everything has to be at BP though does it?

Who knows what plans might be afoot to incorporate something at the new training complex if it comes off.

If a new Main stand is built would it free up space in the Findus rooms for more commercial activity? I'm sure they are thinking everything through as we speak!
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 114
RonMariner
February 9, 2024, 4:31pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,693
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

About £2.5m (21 houses @ £120k)

Out of interest, wasn’t the logic behind building the Findus stand the way they did was to allow pitch to be rotated 90 degrees?

Did they really do that without having options to purchase the houses behind the Main Stand? If so it was a crazy thing to do. It means we are stuck with a stand half as long as it could be. We could have had an extra two or three thousand seats if they had built it full length.

Or am I missing something?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 114
Limerick Mariner
February 9, 2024, 5:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

Out of interest, wasn’t the logic behind building the Findus stand the way they did was to allow pitch to be rotated 90 degrees?

Did they really do that without having options to purchase the houses behind the Main Stand? If so it was a crazy thing to do. It means we are stuck with a stand half as long as it could be. We could have had an extra two or three thousand seats if they had built it full length.

Or am I missing something?

What you are missing is that taking out the open corners to build the full length would have almost cost double for a marginal, if any, increase in capacity. Even with a small terrace in front like the pre all seater Findus. Don’t forgot that pre-Hillsborough terrace capacities per sq metre of space were much higher. The Clee and Imp corners probably had a capacity of 4k+
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 114
grimsby pete
February 9, 2024, 11:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
There was never any plans to rotate the pitch just someone on the fishy started a rumour.

The reason it does not run the full length was due to the cost it would have nearly double in price plus there might have planning permission problems at either end as the stand would be very close to the houses there.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 114
GrimPol
February 10, 2024, 1:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -669
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from ginnywings
The Main Stand doesn't even go back to the boundary of the ground. There is space at the back for more rows of seats and with a cantilever roof, I doubt it would be any higher than the pitched roof already there, plus the highest part of the roof would be at the front, further away than it is now from the houses.

There is also the empty corner up to the Pontoon, so plenty of scope for a clever design if the owners wanted to go down this route. The stand could also house any number of different facilities.

Quite right. The Main Stand is  (looking from the Findus) is 2/3 to the Right and 1/3 to the Left. so some scope there. About time the changing rooms were updated as they remind me of the outside toilets and changing rooms of my old school all those years ago. 3rd world.  
Also people who sit on the back row (usually not many as they come forward to use up empty places) will be able to see the ball when its kicked 8 feet above the ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 114
mimma
February 10, 2024, 1:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Has anyone given thought to getting in and out if the main stand was made bigger? It's bad now and making it bigger would further reduce the space for safe movement
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 114
1mickylyons
February 10, 2024, 1:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,385
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from mimma
Has anyone given thought to getting in and out if the main stand was made bigger? It's bad now and making it bigger would further reduce the space for safe movement

Crikey  it's a block further to walk than the Findus that shouldn't put people off.The parking in my opinion is the biggest problem it's gridlock with any crowd over 5k
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 114
lew chaterleys lover
February 10, 2024, 1:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mimma

But we wouldn't just add on to the existing Main stand would we?

We would completely demolish it and build a new structure which would give greater room for "safe movement."

If we ever get that far and we see an architects drawing we will be amazed at what could be done with the space. Money however will be a much bigger problem.
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 114
promotion plaice
February 10, 2024, 2:00pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,052
Gold Stars: 197

I just have a feeling Tom Shutes has more to come regarding the new stadium (docks) now he's got his Ice Factory plans approved.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 114
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 10, 2024, 2:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 178

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 114
Plankton
February 10, 2024, 2:37pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Approval: +1,210
Gold Stars: 38
We needed a new ground 20 odd years ago. The fact that it's been a nearly a quarter of a century without any progress is shocking. Just build the bloody thing. Other teams up and down the country haven't had this difficulty.

Look at the Stacey West development in Lincoln, a vision for the future and integration of the community.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 114
JK47
February 11, 2024, 7:56am
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from Plankton
We needed a new ground 20 odd years ago. The fact that it's been a nearly a quarter of a century without any progress is shocking. Just build the bloody thing. Other teams up and down the country haven't had this difficulty.

Look at the Stacey West development in Lincoln, a vision for the future and integration of the community.

The idea 63 years ago was to build a new Stadium on Cambridge Avenue.  We've had over 60 years of basically no action, just pipe dreams.  No-one is going to put tens of millions into BP I'm afraid, and I don't see any major companies throwing tens of millions at a club repeatedly dropping into non-league.  The realism is it's government levelling up money (which isn't affected by us being non-league), or stay where we are, as we are for the next 63 years.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 114
denni266
February 11, 2024, 8:21am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
The problem with the houses behind the main stand is most if not all love living there.. I grew up in one of them. My Gran lived there for over 60 yrs .. Going to sleep watching the ship and light ship lights twinkle and flash in the dark was magical. Trains never bothered you and was a sort of entertainment especially the steam trains.. Never once heared anyone moan about the football crowds and noise . People would die to live with these things in stead of looking out and seeing a concrete jungle . You can put a price on bricks and mortar but not on how much people love living where they are
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 114
Humbercod
February 11, 2024, 8:53am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,490
Gold Stars: 82
Without government subsidies or a major sponsor there is no way there will be a new stadium in my lifetime. Even all this talk of a new main stand is just a pipe dream, where’s the money coming from? Not from Stockwood and Co thats for sure, we’re still waiting for the training ground more BS.

If there’s any hope it seems to be with this Shutes guy, give him credit it looks like he’s already pulled of the redevelopment of the docks, and this was the guy talking up the new stadium with planning and vision, it’s a shame he’s not one of our owners.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 114
The Caterham Mariner
February 11, 2024, 10:58am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from denni266
The problem with the houses behind the main stand is most if not all love living there.. I grew up in one of them. My Gran lived there for over 60 yrs .. Going to sleep watching the ship and light ship lights twinkle and flash in the dark was magical. Trains never bothered you and was a sort of entertainment especially the steam trains.. Never once heared anyone moan about the football crowds and noise . People would die to live with these things in stead of looking out and seeing a concrete jungle . You can put a price on bricks and mortar but not on how much people love living where they are

Cheers  for that, You make me want to move back to my town of birth. And to top it off  a 2 minute walk to BP in my latter years.
Grateful town fan

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 114
trickeymickey
February 11, 2024, 2:03pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +113
Gold Stars: 12
Ever since I worked over there in the 90's you lads have been banging on about a new ground.  When I said it would destroy you people said you needed a ground fit for a "big" club.
You dont though.
Your performances have never warranted that.
Instead, you have to do something about the skill set of your players.  Then when that plan begins to bear fruit you can renovate Blundell Park.  It is never going to be too small.
So, in my opinion, and I suppose you will tell me your not interested in it, all your energy and investment needs to be on a state of the art training campus.
The masterstroke that prevented my home town team (the Alex) descending into non league forever was the deal to set up the Campus at Reaseheath Agricultural College.  So good that it was used as a training centre prior to the 2012 Olympics.
You need that FIRST.  Crewe got lucky having that place 5 miles away.  What could you do around Grimsby?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 114
JK47
February 11, 2024, 3:35pm
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from trickeymickey
Ever since I worked over there in the 90's you lads have been banging on about a new ground.  When I said it would destroy you people said you needed a ground fit for a "big" club.
You dont though.
Instead, you have to do something about the skill set of your players.  Then when that plan begins to bear fruit you can renovate Blundell Park.  It is never going to be too small.
So, in my opinion, and I suppose you will tell me your not interested in it, all your energy and investment needs to be on a state of the art training campus.
The masterstroke that prevented my home town team (the Alex) descending into non league forever was the deal to set up the Campus at Reaseheath Agricultural College.  So good that it was used as a training centre prior to the 2012 Olympics.
You need that FIRST.  Crewe got lucky having that place 5 miles away.  What could you do around Grimsby?

I was up at your ground in 1966 for the FA Cup game, and noticed the scaffolding.  "Great!" I thought.  It's an awful ground, but they're doing something about it.  Up there again in 1972 for a league game and the scaffolding was still there - the scaffolding was part of the stand!  I've been there quite a few times since and you now have a lovely developed ground, and have come up in the world partly as a consequence.  The same as with all new grounds, you can only expect the hardened fans to turn up to a tip, and now your ground is quite nice one and you aren't the laughing stock you were in the 1960s.  Fortunaately for our owners, Grimsby fans have been more loyal than most, sticking with a ground that was passably acceptable in the 1960s, even the 1970s, but much as I love BP, through 73 years of support, I have to say that if we want an increase in crowds and an increase in commercial activity than it has to be replaced by something that will attract sponsors and supporters who want a bit more than a ground where all the stands have remained the same since 1939 (bar a new roof on one and the new Findus Stand down one side.  But it's a chicken and egg situation regarding the training and the ground.  I've heard that when signing players they DON'T show them Blundell Park!  If you want to attract players, they too want decent matchday facilities, not changing under a stand built 123 years ago, and still recognisable as of that vintage in the changing rooms.  Times have moved on just a bit since 1901
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 114
ska face
February 11, 2024, 3:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from trickeymickey
You dont though.

Nobody cares about Crewe mate. Just worry about your training centre being infested with paedophiles before lecturing anyone on here.
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 114
trickeymickey
February 11, 2024, 4:17pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +113
Gold Stars: 12
I'm not lecturing.  Just suggesting.  As I said you will probably not be interested.
I am interested in the success of your team.  I hope you stay up and have followed your fortunes for over 30 years.
Does attacking me over the most regretful period in the Crewe clubs history make you feel better in some way?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 114
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 4:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face

Nobody cares about Crewe mate. Just worry about your training centre being infested with paedophiles before lecturing anyone on here.

🙄

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 114
12 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Blundell Park

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.