This thread currently has 10,431 views. Print
12 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 All Recommend Thread
trickeymickey
February 11, 2024, 2:03pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +113
Gold Stars: 12
Ever since I worked over there in the 90's you lads have been banging on about a new ground.  When I said it would destroy you people said you needed a ground fit for a "big" club.
You dont though.
Your performances have never warranted that.
Instead, you have to do something about the skill set of your players.  Then when that plan begins to bear fruit you can renovate Blundell Park.  It is never going to be too small.
So, in my opinion, and I suppose you will tell me your not interested in it, all your energy and investment needs to be on a state of the art training campus.
The masterstroke that prevented my home town team (the Alex) descending into non league forever was the deal to set up the Campus at Reaseheath Agricultural College.  So good that it was used as a training centre prior to the 2012 Olympics.
You need that FIRST.  Crewe got lucky having that place 5 miles away.  What could you do around Grimsby?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 114
JK47
February 11, 2024, 3:35pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +189
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from trickeymickey
Ever since I worked over there in the 90's you lads have been banging on about a new ground.  When I said it would destroy you people said you needed a ground fit for a "big" club.
You dont though.
Instead, you have to do something about the skill set of your players.  Then when that plan begins to bear fruit you can renovate Blundell Park.  It is never going to be too small.
So, in my opinion, and I suppose you will tell me your not interested in it, all your energy and investment needs to be on a state of the art training campus.
The masterstroke that prevented my home town team (the Alex) descending into non league forever was the deal to set up the Campus at Reaseheath Agricultural College.  So good that it was used as a training centre prior to the 2012 Olympics.
You need that FIRST.  Crewe got lucky having that place 5 miles away.  What could you do around Grimsby?

I was up at your ground in 1966 for the FA Cup game, and noticed the scaffolding.  "Great!" I thought.  It's an awful ground, but they're doing something about it.  Up there again in 1972 for a league game and the scaffolding was still there - the scaffolding was part of the stand!  I've been there quite a few times since and you now have a lovely developed ground, and have come up in the world partly as a consequence.  The same as with all new grounds, you can only expect the hardened fans to turn up to a tip, and now your ground is quite nice one and you aren't the laughing stock you were in the 1960s.  Fortunaately for our owners, Grimsby fans have been more loyal than most, sticking with a ground that was passably acceptable in the 1960s, even the 1970s, but much as I love BP, through 73 years of support, I have to say that if we want an increase in crowds and an increase in commercial activity than it has to be replaced by something that will attract sponsors and supporters who want a bit more than a ground where all the stands have remained the same since 1939 (bar a new roof on one and the new Findus Stand down one side.  But it's a chicken and egg situation regarding the training and the ground.  I've heard that when signing players they DON'T show them Blundell Park!  If you want to attract players, they too want decent matchday facilities, not changing under a stand built 123 years ago, and still recognisable as of that vintage in the changing rooms.  Times have moved on just a bit since 1901
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 114
ska face
February 11, 2024, 3:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from trickeymickey
You dont though.

Nobody cares about Crewe mate. Just worry about your training centre being infested with paedophiles before lecturing anyone on here.
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 114
trickeymickey
February 11, 2024, 4:17pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +113
Gold Stars: 12
I'm not lecturing.  Just suggesting.  As I said you will probably not be interested.
I am interested in the success of your team.  I hope you stay up and have followed your fortunes for over 30 years.
Does attacking me over the most regretful period in the Crewe clubs history make you feel better in some way?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 114
HertsGTFC
February 11, 2024, 4:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,946
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ska face

Nobody cares about Crewe mate. Just worry about your training centre being infested with paedophiles before lecturing anyone on here.

🙄

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 114
12 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Blundell Park

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.