jamesgtfc
December 8, 2023, 8:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,967
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Mappers

Bur the infrastructure is non league and however many fans or stickkng plasters we put on it that's the harsh reality really isn't it?

The 8,500 capacity York Community Stadium cost £44m.

The 4,000 capacity Boston Community Stadium cost £12m. That got them 3 stands, 2 of which are terraces with about 5 rows, so they only got one decent stand for the £12m. How much the fourth stand with a sports ball behind it will cost in the current climate is anyone's guess. The Boston chairman owns Chestnut Homes, who have the enabling development on the other side of the roundabout.

It's just not going to happen. I just can't see how it happens in a manner that doesn't pose a huge risk of crippling us financially.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 114
Mappers
December 8, 2023, 8:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm currently more worried about on the pitch, rather than off it. I don't want to be watching non league footy yet again, even if it is in a much improved stadium.

I think at some point they will bring in investors, as they intend to do to finance the training ground. I reckon they know what they are doing and have a plan, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over ground maintenance. We can't afford a new stadium, so they will have to do what they have to do to keep the old place operational.

But the infrastructure is non league and however many fans or stickkng plasters we put on it that's the harsh reality really isn't it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 114
Mappers
December 8, 2023, 8:58pm
Champagne Drinker

I wouldn't be as gloomy as that. Yes we need to catch up with the maintenance and sprucing up but a full and vocal BP still sets the pulses racing.

Obviously something will need doing in the future but I am pinning my hopes on a new full length Main Stand and other improvements.  

Unless we really do move up the leagues and get huge investment a new stadium is beyond reach isn't it?

How do we 'catch up ' though
The footprint for the stadium is limited both in capacity and other non football related income .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 114
Mappers
December 8, 2023, 9:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

The 8,500 capacity York Community Stadium cost £44m.

The 4,000 capacity Boston Community Stadium cost £12m. That got them 3 stands, 2 of which are terraces with about 5 rows, so they only got one decent stand for the £12m. How much the fourth stand with a sports ball behind it will cost in the current climate is anyone's guess. The Boston chairman owns Chestnut Homes, who have the enabling development on the other side of the roundabout.

It's just not going to happen. I just can't see how it happens in a manner that doesn't pose a huge risk of crippling us financially.

We need 13k stadium minimum , agree or disagree on the tick and × thing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 114
grimsby pete
December 8, 2023, 9:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
When the main stand accidently  catches fire in the summer before any repair work is carried out.

We can use the insurance money to construct a new stand covering the length of the pitch.

NB.  No humans or animals were hurt in the fire.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 114
ginnywings
December 8, 2023, 9:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,144
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Mappers

But the infrastructure is non league and however many fans or stickkng plasters we put on it that's the harsh reality really isn't it?

The infrastructure has been that way since I started going in the early 70's, so I'm not going to start worrying about it now.

In that time, we have been incredibly bad and incredibly good on the pitch, and I never really worried about the surroundings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 114
jamesgtfc
December 8, 2023, 9:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

We need 13k stadium minimum , agree or disagree on the tick and × thing

Quick maths using the York and Boston values suggest that a 13k stadium would cost us between £39-67m. How is that being paid for in a manner that doesn't put the clubs future at risk or compromising the playing budget?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 114
December 8, 2023, 9:24pm
Guest User
It's not is the simple answer.

Whilst I've no doubt our owners are wealthy they are not in the realms of others who can afford to lay out £50m.

We are unfashionable so unlikely to attract investors to supplement it.

We don't even have the money for a training ground so there's no hope of a new ground.
Reply: 17 - 114
Poojah
December 8, 2023, 9:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,583
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Quick maths using the York and Boston values suggest that a 13k stadium would cost us between £39-67m. How is that being paid for in a manner that doesn't put the clubs future at risk or compromising the playing budget?

York’s ground is owned, and was paid for, by the city of York council. It’s shared by York City and the York City Knights rugby team.

The circa £40m figure isn’t just for the stadium (which is neat but basic), it includes the adjoining retail and leisure complex which includes a large cinema, bowling alley, indoor golf, gym, swimming pool, climbing centre, cafes etc. That said, it’s another example of a ground which had most of its costs locked in before the hike in construction costs sparked by Covid.

Boston I’m less sure about, but again it was built mostly pre-Covid.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 114
jamesgtfc
December 8, 2023, 9:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

York’s ground is owned, and was paid for, by the city of York council. It’s shared by York City and the York City Knights rugby team.

The circa £40m figure isn’t just for the stadium (which is neat but basic), it includes the adjoining retail and leisure complex which includes a large cinema, bowling alley, indoor golf, gym, swimming pool, climbing centre, cafes etc. That said, it’s another example of a ground which had most of its costs locked in before the hike in construction costs sparked by Covid.

Boston I’m less sure about, but again it was built mostly pre-Covid.

The Boston stadium is part of a wider development called The Quadrant with a new housing estate built by Chestnut Homes, that the Boston Chairman owns.

That stadium itself is actually a CIC with lots of protection from future wrong'uns and a peppercorn rent agreement in place for years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 114
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Blundell Park

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.