12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Yoda
December 8, 2023, 10:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
If we could be gifted the land by the council there must be grants available i think 20 million would build you a stadium of say 16-18k.
Taken over 25-30 years not that expensive we are spending more on BP every year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 114
Poojah
December 8, 2023, 10:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,539
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Yoda
If we could be gifted the land by the council there must be grants available i think 20 million would build you a stadium of say 16-18k.
Taken over 25-30 years not that expensive we are spending more on BP every year.

Land’s not the biggest issue. What you describe is more or less what happened with Rotherham. The council gave them some brownfield land on the edge of the town centre (not far from Millmoor), and they built a cracking 12,000 capacity ground for £20m. 16-18k would have cost way more, btw.

But it’s been 11 years since the New York Stadium opened, and 12 years since it broke ground. So much has happened economically since then, to the point that the same ground built by the docks or on Freeman Street is costing you more like £40m today. I’ve shown my workings out previously and, unrelated, it’s the same figure that Stockwood quoted at the recent forum.

£40m is a fúckload of money for a League Two club to try and find by whatever means. Regrettably, I think we’ve missed the boat.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 114
ginnywings
December 8, 2023, 10:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Poojah

Land’s not the biggest issue. What you describe is more or less what happened with Rotherham. The council gave them some brownfield land on the edge of the town centre (not far from Millmoor), and they built a cracking 12,000 capacity ground for £20m. 16-18k would have cost way more, btw.

But it’s been 11 years since the New York Stadium opened, and 12 years since it broke ground. So much has happened economically since then, to the point that the same ground built by the docks or on Freeman Street is costing you more like £40m today. I’ve shown my workings out previously and, unrelated, it’s the same figure that Stockwood quoted at the recent forum.

£40m is a fúckload of money for a League Two club to try and find by whatever means. Regrettably, I think we’ve missed the boat.

Yep.

The price of labour and materials has gone up by an eye watering amount in the last 3 years.

Every time I go to a timber or builders merchant, I am staggered by the cost of materials. They just keep on rising, and that's if you can source them to begin with. Plenty of projects are grinding to a halt because of skills and materials shortages, with long lead times, and tradesmen simply downing tools and fecking off because someone more desperate has offered them more money.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 114
Mappers
December 8, 2023, 10:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Poojah

York’s ground is owned, and was paid for, by the city of York council. It’s shared by York City and the York City Knights rugby team.

The circa £40m figure isn’t just for the stadium (which is neat but basic), it includes the adjoining retail and leisure complex which includes a large cinema, bowling alley, indoor golf, gym, swimming pool, climbing centre, cafes etc. That said, it’s another example of a ground which had most of its costs locked in before the hike in construction costs sparked by Covid.

Boston I’m less sure about, but again it was built mostly pre-Covid.

But we are bigger than York City so surely need something fitting of that ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 114
ginnywings
December 8, 2023, 10:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Mappers

But York is bigger and more prosperous than Grimsby.

Nobody will want to invest in one of the poorest towns in the UK, whilst York is far more attractive to investors. The size of the football club is irrelevant in this case, and the York ground is part of a bigger development as mentioned in a previous post.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 114
Yoda
December 8, 2023, 10:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
Construction rates dropping at the moment and settling down from the crazy prices of covid.
A four sided stadium no tiers that costs a lot more a bit like notts county would no where near 40 nearer 30.
Boston’s is a cracking new ground it doesn’t have to be all seater we could have two ends standing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 114
jamesgtfc
December 8, 2023, 11:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Yoda
Construction rates dropping at the moment and settling down from the crazy prices of covid.
A four sided stadium no tiers that costs a lot more a bit like notts county would no where near 40 nearer 30.
Boston’s is a cracking new ground it doesn’t have to be all seater we could have two ends standing.

We can't have standing as we were in the second tier in 1994.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 114
Mappers
December 8, 2023, 11:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from ginnywings

But York is bigger and more prosperous than Grimsby.

Nobody will want to invest in one of the poorest towns in the UK, whilst York is far more attractive to investors. The size of the football club is irrelevant in this case, and the York ground is part of a bigger development as mentioned in a previous post.

That's what breaks my heart though

That thinking , I moved away many moons ago but Town are still my /our club and if a club with a street from Harry Potter and a designer outlet trumps ours I am lost for words
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 114
jamesgtfc
December 8, 2023, 11:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Mappers

Whilst GTFC may be bigger than YCFC, York as a city is much more attractive than NELC. Our area doesn't have a successful rugby team to share the rent with like they do either, making it an even less attractive proposition to a potential landlord.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 114
RichMariner
December 8, 2023, 11:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
There's nothing wrong with ambition and a bit of imagination.

Unfortunately, the time comes when reality bites. We can't have everything we want. Not saying we should just down tools, but we need to be realistic about what is achievable given the world we now live in.

The possibility of a new stadium will always remain, but right now the money needs to be spent on BP.

We need to make it better than what it is, while not compromising on the funds needed to invest in the first team squad and youth academy — because if both the first team squad and youth academy succeed, then they will raise the capital needed to invest in the club's infrastructure (and maybe help raise the money to fill in the corners and make BP feel a bit more like it used to).

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 29 - 114
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Blundell Park

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.