rancido
February 8, 2024, 6:40pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from ginnywings

They would be informed of any developments of course, but the oft repeated claim that residents can stop stuff getting built just by opposing it is simply not true, but is often repeated on here.

There is a pre existing structure for a start, so it's not like the residents will suddenly have their view spoiled by a stand appearing over the summer. "I don't like it" is not a valid reason to get something blocked.

Not that I'm expecting the owners to go this route anyway, but if they did, there would be a consultation with the residents, and it would get the go ahead in my opinion.

You may have a point providing the developed stand covers the same footprint, the same height and capacity. Once you exceed those parameters then you are open to legitimate objections. Any increase in size would be classed as " intrusive and an invasion of privacy " and increased capacity would lead to objections for greater footfall and available parking. Consequently if you built "like for like " then all you would get is a more up to date stand with no advantage in increased capacity and revenue.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 114
lew chaterleys lover
February 8, 2024, 6:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
If I lived there I would want as many improvements done to BP as possible so it improves my view, just like we would all want our immediate surroundings to improve.

What's the alternative,  a stand which just get older and less attractive each year?

If it resulted in an increased capacity surely a solution can be found regarding increased traffic/parking.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 114
rancido
February 8, 2024, 7:08pm

Special Brew Drinker
If I lived there I would want as many improvements done to BP as possible so it improves my view, just like we would all want our immediate surroundings to improve.

What's the alternative,  a stand which just get older and less attractive each year?

If it resulted in an increased capacity surely a solution can be found regarding increased traffic/parking.

But what solution is possible?  Posters often mention Park and Ride but that would hardly be practical for a yearly use of 23 approx occasions a year and I can't see any other practical application for such a scheme. It might be possible to incorporate such a scheme using a town centre car park in conjunction with Stagecoach but that would still lead to increased traffic problems in the town. I don't see any available sites close to the ground that could be used for car parking and again you also encounter under useage on days other than match days.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 114
lew chaterleys lover
February 8, 2024, 7:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from rancido

But what solution is possible?  Posters often mention Park and Ride but that would hardly be practical for a yearly use of 23 approx occasions a year and I can't see any other practical application for such a scheme. It might be possible to incorporate such a scheme using a town centre car park in conjunction with Stagecoach but that would still lead to increased traffic problems in the town. I don't see any available sites close to the ground that could be used for car parking and again you also encounter under useage on days other than match days.

Even in the unlikely event of us trying to get a new stadium, there is always going to be congestion around a football stadium. Big car parks will be frowned upon anyway but the main point is that congestion around stadia is a fact of life so to a certain extent you have to accept it. Even if the capacity at BP was increased it is not the end of the world is it, otherwise we may as well give up completely.
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 114
Mappers
February 8, 2024, 7:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from ginnywings

They would be informed of any developments of course, but the oft repeated claim that residents can stop stuff getting built just by opposing it is simply not true, but is often repeated on here.

There is a pre existing structure for a start, so it's not like the residents will suddenly have their view spoiled by a stand appearing over the summer. "I don't like it" is not a valid reason to get something blocked.

Not that I'm expecting the owners to go this route anyway, but if they did, there would be a consultation with the residents, and it would get the go ahead in my opinion.

You could get it done I'm sure , add in better disabled facilities  , maybe some sort of community hub and you are improving their community for a start - always thought a load more dog /dustbins down there would go down well , but then again maybe it's the residents putting mess allover the place , no end of times I have got to the car and had 'the smell' from one of my shoes when it's been dark .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 114
Azimuth
February 8, 2024, 11:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from mariner91

There's absolutely no chance that buying the houses behind the Main Stand would cost even close to what a new stadium would cost.

Depends if people want to sell, the club might have to offer three, four or more times the actual value of properties to incentivise the owners to sell and even then there is no guarantee that the club would achive to objective of buying every property.

Besides it would hardly be seen as fair play from the Club trying to force people from their homes, and not the high standard of social responsibility expected from a B Corp organisation.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 114
grimps
February 9, 2024, 7:31am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from rancido

I cant see that a bit of traffic once every two weeks is cause for objecting, there's traffic anyway so another 2000 wont make any difference
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 114
rancido
February 9, 2024, 8:00am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from grimps

I cant see that a bit of traffic once every two weeks is cause for objecting, there's traffic anyway so another 2000 wont make any difference

I'm sure if it was a development near where you live and had no interest in then you would have a different point if view.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 114
JK47
February 9, 2024, 8:13am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.71
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +189
Gold Stars: 2
The sort of money required can only come from one source - government levelling up money, and it SHOULD.  Look at some of the "leisure" facilities being funded 100% by the government even now.  The football club would then become a tenant and not responsible for funding the upkeep (and no future owner of GTFC could use it to fund some other business "opportunity" that did for other clubs!)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 114
mariner91
February 9, 2024, 8:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Azimuth

Depends if people want to sell, the club might have to offer three, four or more times the actual value of properties to incentivise the owners to sell and even then there is no guarantee that the club would achive to objective of buying every property.

Besides it would hardly be seen as fair play from the Club trying to force people from their homes, and not the high standard of social responsibility expected from a B Corp organisation.

Even if you had to pay three or four times the market price, it's still not even close to the £10's of millions that would be needed for a new stadium.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 114
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Blundell Park

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.