Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › David Artell confirmed as New Manager
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

David Artell confirmed as New Manager

This thread currently has 28,408 views. Print
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
November 27, 2023, 1:42pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 122
MOOSE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 190
AncientExiledMariner
November 27, 2023, 1:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59
Fingers crossed. Hope he does well.

He talked about being impressed by the owners and their plans. He really sounds like he's bought into being part of the left-wing vanity project. I think some on here will be mortified...

Edit: Not sure if I'm getting downvoted by right wingers offended by the owners writing in the guardian, or sensible folk who didn't realise the comment was tongue in cheek...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 190
GibMariner
November 27, 2023, 1:48pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -964
Gold Stars: 21
Sounds alright and as they do, schooled to say the right thing. Fingers crossed he’s the man.
Utmm
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 190
diehardmariner
November 27, 2023, 1:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,702
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from ginnywings
Lots of people asking for patience. I think we've been about as patient as you could be supporting this team. Myself for  most of 52 years with a few memorable seasons thrown in.

We aren't in it for the glamour and the trophies.

Keeping us away from the bottom 2 will do for now.

I'd be intrigued to know what target he has been set for this season and then beyond that (absolutely no way 1878 won't have had those conversations).

I still think we've got a squad that's better than our current position but the soft belly of it is really the concern. I don't think it's a secret that the target this season was to improve on the previous, which in real terms meant having a proper shot at the top 7.  The league is so tight (could probably say poor on quality too) that a good month of results and you're flying up the table.  Question will be initially how much of a tune can Artell get out of this squad, including tightening up the leaky defence but also how much can he wheel and deal in the window to boost the areas that need attention.

I agree that at this moment in time, especially having failed to beat from two of the three sides below us (also failing to beat the third side 7 weeks ago), that staying out the top two is immediate success.  But I'm not sure that the internal target will be that low.

Guess we'll see.
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 190
TownSNAFU5
November 27, 2023, 1:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
I think that he is the right fit for this club.

After 2,000 posts about who might be the next manager.  There may now be 2,000 posts about the new manager and the future.

(In other news, we sadly lost a great manager in Terry Venables and even Man United scored a great goal).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 190
horsforthmariner
November 27, 2023, 2:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,638
Gold Stars: 9
Sounds a good appointment. Onwards and upwards. Hopefully we'll be well clear of the drop by New Year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 190
Hagrid
November 27, 2023, 2:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,487
Gold Stars: 536
Just got down from Mam Tor so can offer proper thoughts now ive unfrozen😂

Really happy with the appointment, Think he’s been one of our main targets and hopefully he can get us safe this season sooner rather than later
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 190
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 27, 2023, 2:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81
Looks a very good appointment but I thought the same when Newell and Holloway were appointed but having read a couple of his articles and watched his participation in the Wrexham podcast, page 5 of this thread, he comes over as a man who knows what style of football he wants his team to play but this style is achievable playing different systems and formations.

Having read his article, someone published on the Fishy last week, it was pretty evident that his and our board’s philosophy aligned and thus he appears to be the most suitable and sensible appointment the club could have made.

Always interesting when a new Manager comes in how he views certain players and whether that aligns with our particular preferences but the big hope is that whichever eleven turn out we continue with the recent attacking intent and individual players perform at an improved level consistently rather than spasmodically.

As always when a new broom is introduced exciting times and be interesting to see what effect this may have on the attendance for the mid December fixture v Crewe in a couple of weeks time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 190
LocalLadGTFC
November 27, 2023, 2:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,325
Gold Stars: 137
Let's hope they all put in a performance tomorrow. He's straight up and says we've been too easy to play against for too long especially at home and I don't think he'll be one to have any passengers so those found not wanting will quickly find themselves out the side.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 78 - 190
chaos33
November 27, 2023, 2:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from diehardmariner

I'd be intrigued to know what target he has been set for this season and then beyond that (absolutely no way 1878 won't have had those conversations).

I still think we've got a squad that's better than our current position but the soft belly of it is really the concern. I don't think it's a secret that the target this season was to improve on the previous, which in real terms meant having a proper shot at the top 7.  The league is so tight (could probably say poor on quality too) that a good month of results and you're flying up the table.  Question will be initially how much of a tune can Artell get out of this squad, including tightening up the leaky defence but also how much can he wheel and deal in the window to boost the areas that need attention.

I agree that at this moment in time, especially having failed to beat from two of the three sides below us (also failing to beat the third side 7 weeks ago), that staying out the top two is immediate success.  But I'm not sure that the internal target will be that low.

Guess we'll see.

Yeah, intriguing. He knows we’ve conceded too many goals. Plenty of time to go and window to come. Plenty to play for. 4 points off Harrogate in 15th - relative comfort. 8 off Morecambe in 12th and 10 off the play offs. Can’t see us getting anything at MK, so sets up a juicy home game with Crewe who score and concede plenty. Priority is our defending though. We won’t make any inroads if we don’t address that. We’ve got goals in us but we’re cr*p on the turnover, when our midfield and defence have looked way too flimsy and off the pace.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 190
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › David Artell confirmed as New Manager

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.