Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › David Artell confirmed as New Manager
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

David Artell confirmed as New Manager

This thread currently has 28,159 views. Print
20 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
November 28, 2023, 10:24am
Guest User
Quoted from Mayaman

You will be struggling to breathe then, If it's owt like other SE Asian firework celebrations.

Absolutely.

I didn't/daren't venture out. The air pollution numbers were similar to our "smoky season" which nearly killed me this year (copd).

I'll be going for a 3-month 'holiday' somewhere else in Thailand before the next crop-burning bonanza starts in January.
Reply: 160 - 190
Mariner_09
November 28, 2023, 11:03am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Mayaman

According to some Crewe fans, a lot of the players left for something better.  Robbed of the spine of his team, he didn't have the resources to keep them up.  Still, it's always good strategy to berate somebody before anything happens so that you can smugly say, "I told you so".  

If you listen to the emergency DN35 pod from last night, the lad from Crewe gives a very balanced answer as to what happened in that season.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 190
mariner91
November 28, 2023, 11:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from male private Nale

Facts are facts, put them all out there not just the ones that suit your narrative.

Nobody was hiding it though were they? He's got a blot on his copybook but that's hardly surprising given the position we're in. No manager who has had only success in the FL would come to a side sat where we are. I don't know the circumstances for that season but it sounds like some of it was his own doing with poor recruitment and some of it was losing most of his good players without proper funds to replace them sufficiently. He'll have hopefully learned from it.

But just as much as you shouldn't ignore negatives, you can't ignore positives either just because the new regime have made what seems on paper to be a good appointment and you don't like it because you're still depressingly attached to JF. He's had a promotion from this division with a team that isn't particularly well funded or a particularly big club for this level either. They were also fairly easy on the eye and generally played on the front foot whenever I saw them. Both of those things are big plusses and we'll see if he can replicate that here. His first job will be to get us safe.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 190
Poojah
November 28, 2023, 11:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,580
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from Mariner_09

If you listen to the emergency DN35 pod from last night, the lad from Crewe gives a very balanced answer as to what happened in that season.

Apologies if this has been posted earlier, but below is a link to last night’s hour-long Town special on Humberside Sportstalk. It includes snippets of interviews with Artell, Stockwood, Kristine Green (who comes across brilliantly), and Crewe’s local BBC reporter / commentator. A good listen (if you haven’t already).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0grp7j5

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 190
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 28, 2023, 12:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from mariner91

.No manager who has had only success in the FL would come to a side sat where we are.  

It's moot now because we've appointed him but I'm not so sure about your assertion. Whenever you see a manager's job being discussed at our level there always seems to be a lot of applicants, there are several managers working below the standard you would reasonably expect them to be and there isn't a manager alive outside the top of the EPL that hasn't had the sack or a relegation.

You then have the clubs who everyone knows are basket cases (hello Bradford) but they still find candidates. So a club like ours being carefully run by people who are not Poundland psychopaths must be an attraction.

Not much has been made of Artell turning down the assistant role at Standard Liege to join us but I personally think he is insane to do that! Standard Liege are currently 3rd in the Belgian league. He obviously has his reasons and their loss is our gain.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 190
jamesgtfc
November 28, 2023, 12:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,967
Gold Stars: 190
I genuinely don't think there's a valid reason to moan.

Following the information Jason gave us that they had been considering the position of Hurst for 6 weeks, I expected them to have identified some realistic alternatives. Yesterday, it was confirmed that Artell was one of those that they identified before deciding to make a change.

The club, quite rightly in my opinion, wanted to test the market and see who out there was interested. We don't know who applied, but Artell did. Confirmation there that Artell was someone the board wanted, and this job was one that Artell was interested in.

Then the board went about numerous interviews and it seems the 2 parties had been sizing each other up and doing their due diligence on one another for a couple of weeks. No complaints with that from me. I also really like that a lot of this was done out of town to keep things under wraps.

And finally, the legal side took a week.

I admit to getting a bit impatient but I'm really happy with the process that the club followed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 190
November 28, 2023, 12:08pm
Guest User
Interesting to know that he is one of those managers who likes to sit in the stand for the first half, I guess to get a clear view of how the opposition are lined up and how both teams are playing.
Reply: 166 - 190
toontown
November 28, 2023, 12:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from 123614
Interesting to know that he is one of those managers who likes to sit in the stand for the first half, I guess to get a clear view of how the opposition are lined up and how both teams are playing.

Is that something he usually does, or is it just with being brand new at the club to get a better view of all the players in his first game?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 190
rancido
November 28, 2023, 12:34pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 123614

I sit in the Upper Young's , close to the half-way line, and you get a totally different perspective of the game as opposed to pitch level. I've thought for a long time that if you had a senior member of the coaching staff ie the assistant manager, on the camera gantry with direct communication to the bench then adjustments to playing style/weaknesses could be corrected immediately.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 190
November 28, 2023, 12:37pm
Guest User
Quoted from toontown

Is that something he usually does, or is it just with being brand new at the club to get a better view of all the players in his first game?

It's what he usually does as he said to Matt Dean in this interview around the 46:38 minute mark.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0grp7j5

Reply: 169 - 190
20 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › David Artell confirmed as New Manager

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.