Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › David Artell confirmed as New Manager
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
1mickylyons, 99agrant, acko338, AdamHaddock, AdSense, AncientExiledMariner, AndyDarloFC, aussiej, AussieMariner, Badger57, Balthazar Bullitt, bartgtfc, bawarmy, Bawmariner, bedders78, BeijingMariner, Belfast Town, benny1618, Big Jake, bigbadmarinerbob, Bigboy, biggleswademariner, Bignic69, Bigwinn1975, BobbyCummingsTackle, Brazilnut, BrMarin, BruceytheFish, BulkyMariner, cannylad65, Captaincod, cardiffmariner, Caveman, Cayman_mariner, chelseacity, chipsandgravy, Chrisblor, cjbill, coddy60, CodHead, Craigy01, Crumbcrusader, crusty ole pie, Crystal, CSLM, DaleGTFC, Davec, davmariner, DB, denni266, devs, Dick Johnson, Doctor Sanchez, drbell, Epworth Mariner, essexexile, EvilFish, FishOutOfWater, forza ivano, friskneymariner, Gainsbro_Mariner, GhostDan, Gilbertswand, Gill, gobby, GollyGTFC, Grant Baily, Grantley, grassbandits, GrimExile, GrimRob, Grimsby69, grimsbybrown, gtfc_chris, Gtfcalex, Gyranger.2, gytone, Hacksaw jimmy cook, Hagrid, Harbour Rat, HarrogateMariner, Heisenberg, HertsGTFC, Heswall Mariner, HistonMariner, HoratiusEberlin, horsforthmariner, IlkleyMariner, immariner, ivanosandwich, Jackal, Jackie Lewis, jamesgtfc, jimgtfc, johnbhoy, jonnyboy82, kafunanapar140909, kevikov, krispy84, Limerick Mariner, Lincspoacher, LivvosRomanNose, LocalLadGTFC, LondonMariner43, louth_in_the_south, lukeo, MaccasBoots, Madeleymariner, majestic tees, ManBurning, Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, Mappers, mariner chopper, Mariner John, Mariner Timsky, Mariner16, Mariner56, mariner91, Mariner93er, Mariner_501, Marinerdan, MarinerDevil, marinerjase, MarinerMal, MarinerRob, Maringer, Mark GTFC, Matthew, Mayaman, Meza, Mighty_Mariner, mike502, Mikey_345, Milky Bar Kid, mimma, Misterton Mariner, MNH1972, Morph2000, mr b, Neilo83, Nelly GTFC, neverapen, nigelh, nomorefourfiveone, norfuk mariner, Northbank Mariner, NorthseaMariner, Northy81, out of town, OZMAN, PaceyMariner, Parkooo, paulmblythe, Peeler_Crab, percentagefootball, Phisch, pontoonlew, Poojah, Posh Harry, Quagmire, rancido, richiedk, RichMariner, Roast Em Bobby, Rob_in_Grimsby, Rodley Mariner, Running like emson, Ruston AT, sam gy, Saudimariner, ScottyUTM, scott, shaun the sheep, Sigone, skegmariner, smokin joe, Southwark Mariner, Spatchcock, Spidey, spikelias, SpiritOf98, SteffiMariner, stevieh, Stew0_0, Stranger in the Park, supertown, Sussexmariner, sutton mariner, SWMariner, tanga_the_indestructible, Tavistock Mariner, Teesknees, The Dogs Testicles, The_Laughing_Mariner, thefish, Theimperialcoroner, thespiffing, thevera, tintowner, Tinymariner, Tom13, TonySmith, Total Hawsehole, Town Monkey, Townforlife, TownSNAFU5, TwoLeftFeet, UTMAdinfinitum, Vigo_Mariner, vinno69, WayneBurnettsJockstrap, Wedidntdidwe, Wemble1998, wembley_double98, WesternMariner, Withnail, wizbit, WLMariner, wormy, WOZOFGRIMSBY, wuffing, Zmariner and 1123 Guests

David Artell confirmed as New Manager

This thread currently has 28,403 views. Print
20 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
CodHead
November 28, 2023, 12:06am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +169
Quoted from Nunnys9
As a player in the Conference League he was a Donkey , how he's got to this stage I don't know , sorry to say he'll take us back down , as for 'First Choice' really !!!

Isn't the Conference League a European competition?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 190
Teestogreen
November 28, 2023, 12:22am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -163
Gold Stars: 23
Last time I saw David Artel was at a pre - season friendly playing for Morecambe against Carlisle.
He came on as a sub. and was quite a robust stopper and dangerous at the other end in set pieces.
Has done very well to get to manager level.
Pleased that Towns deputy management team have been recognised for their efforts.
Just slightly concerned that the bias for coaching the team appears to be with central defenders and I think a ‘bright spark’ attacking coach needs to be appointed to get the right blend.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 190
ginnywings
November 28, 2023, 12:23am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Nunnys9
As a player in the Conference League he was a Donkey , how he's got to this stage I don't know , sorry to say he'll take us back down , as for 'First Choice' really !!!

Which might be relevant if we'd brought him in to play centre back.

In his one job as a manager, he got Crewe promoted with a small budget, so I think he's ahead on points at the moment.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 190
davmariner
November 28, 2023, 1:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Teestogreen
Last time I saw David Artel was at a pre - season friendly playing for Morecambe against Carlisle.
He came on as a sub. and was quite a robust stopper and dangerous at the other end in set pieces.
Has done very well to get to manager level.
Pleased that Towns deputy management team have been recognised for their efforts.
Just slightly concerned that the bias for coaching the team appears to be with central defenders and I think a ‘bright spark’ attacking coach needs to be appointed to get the right blend.

I’m not sure it quite works like that. A manager’s philosophy isn’t necessarily linked to the position they played. Nonetheless, what’s clear from our goals against and failure to keep a clean sheet recently is that defensively we need a sort out.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 190
November 28, 2023, 1:58am
Guest User
David looks and sounds like the real deal to me, and has enough in his CV to let me think this isn't the usual explosion
of doomed hopes that a new manager encourages.

As a matter of fact, shortly after reading about his appointment, 5 hours of explosions started here in Chiang Mai.
Well they love their fireworks in South-East Asia and it was the Loy Krathong festival on the 27th.
Suited my mood perfectly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loy_Krathong

So I'm chuffed we've got David (we're on first-name terms already!), delighted Shaun has been made Assistant, pleased for
the club and especially the owners who got the deal done, and apologies to forza ivano for doubting his gambling wisdom.

Of course it would be silly to get carried away already, but I intend to refer to David as the 'ExtraSpecialOne' in future posts.
Just letting y'all know.  

UTM
Reply: 144 - 190
grimsby pete
November 28, 2023, 2:39am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
David  turned down several clubs before saying yes to us.

He said he had being looking for a Jason, Andrew and Debbie for a while.

Well we had been looking for them for nigh on 20 years before they took over.

I feel we are going on for a few decent years and things are only going to get better.

We are.going to need more seats at the park when another few thousand see we are playing good attacking football.,with a manager that does not big the opposition up.

Let them worry what we can do  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 190
Heisenberg
November 28, 2023, 6:35am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from mimma
Lawrie McMenemy never played in the football league, he only played for Gateshead.

He won promotion with Donny, then won the 4th. div title with Town. He left us for Southampton where he won their only major trophy, the FA cup, before managing England.

By contrast, the worst manager I have seen at Bludell Park was Mike Lyons, who played all his career in the top flight with Everton, then promoted to the 1st. Div with Sheff. Wed.

This is pedantic, I know, but Lawrie never managed England. But good points nonetheless.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 190
toontown
November 28, 2023, 7:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Interesting to see that he is Head Coach and not Manager.

That normally means the he will take on all the coaching, but may mean that others may take on the other jobs that would normally covered by a Manager.

Who knows, 1878 may still be looking to do the Director of Football route at some point, who can do all the transfer dealings

Seems from his interview, and his article in coaches voice about looking for a job where he won't be expected to do everything like he was at Crewe, that he will be a bit more of a head coach and less of an old fashioned manager perhaps?

Perhaps the recruitment guy will have more influence than was allowed by Hurst, at least half hursts signings seemed to be of players he was already chasing or ones he'd had before.

Artell did mention the importance of an assistant manager and the particular skill set he was looking for in one in his article and I do wonder if the imposition of Pearson was a hiccup. His interview wasn't full of enthusiasm for his assistants in my opinion, although I'm pleased they've been kept on and I think they did well to steady the ship after Hurst left. It was very noticeable how instantly they improved in game management with substitutions even as rookie managers, showing how very poor Hurst is in that arena.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 190
male private Nale
November 28, 2023, 8:06am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -925
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from ginnywings

Which might be relevant if we'd brought him in to play centre back.

In his one job as a manager, he got Crewe promoted with a small budget, so I think he's ahead on points at the moment.

If you are stating facts, surely you cannot just cherry pick the ones that suit your argument?

He also presided over taking them back down in what was one of their worst ever seasons.

He certainly talks the talk , lets hope he can back it up
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 190
golfer
November 28, 2023, 8:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Heisenberg

This is pedantic, I know, but Lawrie never managed England. But good points nonetheless.

Assistant manager .  Managed Northern Ireland later.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 190
20 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › David Artell confirmed as New Manager

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.