Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason Stockwood article in todays guardian - worth
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Jason Stockwood article in todays guardian - worth

This thread currently has 7,655 views. Print
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Blundellite
November 20, 2023, 10:07am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +71
Gold Stars: 18
explains the rationale of sacking Hurst

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news.....adf635b7d1&ei=20
Private Message
heppy88
November 20, 2023, 3:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
I know this won't be popular, but I have to get this off my chest.

As per most of his Guardian articles, he uses a scatter gun approach, discussing little bits of this (data in football) and that (sacking a manager) and trying to weave a thread through it all. But, by the end of it you are left asking what was the point of that? In what is a short piece he manages to belittle a manager, who has had such a positive influence on the club, during his two tenures and had two digs at the fans.

Don't get me wrong, it was time for Hurst to leave (and I believe Hurst himself knew that), but I do not believe its right that Stockwood uses this for his media project. A photograph of a dejected Hurst heads the article, which in a round about way discusses the time before his sacking. I quote:

"Most fans don’t show anywhere near enough compassion or empathy when shouting for managers to lose their jobs. Most seem oblivious to the fact that it is someone’s livelihood and vocation that is being challenged, that someone has to go home to tell their children they have lost their job on the day it happens."

I agree Jason, some of us don't perhaps consider the personal effects of our comments on the manager/player. But where is the compassion and empathy when you decided to use his sacking for your benefit? When Hurst and his family can pick up a national newspaper and see what can only be described as a major low point in someones life being used in this way? But the above quote and the one which now follows demonstrates a worrying trend that Stockwood has at criticising the fans:

"It was important that we had acted in good faith and not reacted to the first bad game, as some fans wrongly assumed, but kept our nerve and executed against an agreed plan.

If you can get past the arrogance of that statement, correct me if i'm wrong, do any of us genuinely know of any fan calling for Hursts sacking after this rather ambiguous "first bad game"?  How many fans do you know call for the head of a manager after an initial bad game? Very few, if any at all.

Back in June he randomly posted a tweet calling fans trolls if they were to negatively comment on two back to back losses. Bizarrely, this off the cuff and totally unprovoked remark was in response to a celebratory tweet made by the club relating to high season ticket sales. Some of the more level headed tweeters criticised his remarks and I would argue that the tweet and his comments in the Guardian reveal his inability to accept that the fans have their own opinions and may want to express those opinions. It's funny that the comments section to his article today have been turned off!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 81
Badger57
November 20, 2023, 3:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,912
Gold Stars: 30
He does talk a load of balderdash at times doesn't he?
Just give the job to an A.I. data analyst and be done with it Jason.  😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 81
arryarryarry
November 20, 2023, 4:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from heppy88

As per most of his Guardian articles, he uses a scatter gun approach, discussing little bits of this (data in football) and that (sacking a manager) and trying to weave a thread through it all. But, by the end of it you are left asking that was the point of that? In what is a short piece he manages to belittle a manager, who has had such a positive influence on the club, during his two tenures and had two digs at the fans.

Don't get me wrong, it was time for Hurst to leave (and I believe Hurst himself knew that), but I do not believe its right that Stockwood uses this for his media project. A photograph of a dejected Hurst heads the article, which in a round about way discusses the time before his sacking. I quote:

"Most fans don’t show anywhere near enough compassion or empathy when shouting for managers to lose their jobs. Most seem oblivious to the fact that it is someone’s livelihood and vocation that is being challenged, that someone has to go home to tell their children they have lost their job on the day it happens."

I agree Jason, some of us don't perhaps consider the personal effects of our comments on the manager/player. But where is the compassion and empathy when you decided to use his sacking for your benefit? When Hurst and his family can pick up a national newspaper and see what can only be described as a major low point in someones life being used in this way? But the above quote and the one which now follows demonstrates a worrying trend that Stockwood has at criticising the fans:

"It was important that we had acted in good faith and not reacted to the first bad game, as some fans wrongly assumed[b][/b], but kept our nerve and executed against an agreed plan.

If you can get past the arrogance of that statement, correct me if i'm wrong, do any of us genuinely know of any fan calling for Hursts sacking after this rather ambiguous "first bad game"?  How many fans do you know call for the head of a manager after an initial bad game? Very few, if any at all.

Back in June he randomly posted a tweet calling fans trolls if they were to negatively comment on two back to back losses. Bizarrely, this off the cuff and totally unprovoked remark was in response to a celebratory tweet made by the club relating to high season ticket sales. Some of the more level headed tweeters criticised his remarks and I would argue that the tweet and his comments in the Guardian reveal his inability to accept that the fans have their own opinions and may want to express those opinions. It's funny that the comments section to his article today have been turned off!!

I agree with some of the points you make however every football club manager must be aware that they could be a handful of games from the sack and in quite a few cases usually walk back into a job at another club and can well have a contract that could see them receiving full pay for a year or more unlike many of the rest of us.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 81
lew chaterleys lover
November 20, 2023, 4:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,717
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from heppy88

As per most of his Guardian articles, he uses a scatter gun approach, discussing little bits of this (data in football) and that (sacking a manager) and trying to weave a thread through it all. But, by the end of it you are left asking that was the point of that? In what is a short piece he manages to belittle a manager, who has had such a positive influence on the club, during his two tenures and had two digs at the fans.

"It was important that we had acted in good faith and not reacted to the first bad game, as some fans wrongly assumed[b][/b], but kept our nerve and executed against an agreed plan.

I think he is trying too hard to burnish his compassion  and the yearning to do things differently, but as you say he is making some faux pas on the way.

Football managers will be stoic about the inevitable sacking that comes, and especially for an experienced manager like Hurst who has seen it all before, and was given far more leeway than any manager would have expected.

It's new to the Board all the nuances of professional football, but I am not particularly a fan of these articles which are always sprinkled with a rather condescending selection of fashionable buzz words reading like an entrepreneurial handbook.

I think we need to be seeing a bit more progress with various things as well rather than keep saying the same things in different ways.

Well over a year ago he said we had people willing and ready to make investment into the club, on his usual proviso of being the right sort of people.  We will need huge investment to make any inroads on our ambition so are we any closer to substantial investment?

What's the plan with BP? Training complex?

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 81
Mappers
November 20, 2023, 4:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
I do get your point regarding the fans comment - in a general situation he is correct but with this one he's wide of the mark as there has in the main been a lot of love for Hurst even after he left , no doubt Hurst's  well timed statement pulled on our heart strings a bit more too .

I normally think he talks some good stuff , but it seemed a needless angle towards  fans that in the main stuck behind a manager after 3 wins in 23 or whatever it was .

Slightly bizarre and needless .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 81
Azimuth
November 20, 2023, 4:35pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from Blundellite
explains the rationale of sacking Hurst

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news.....adf635b7d1&ei=20

Waffle.
When all said and done Hurst had failed this season, end of story and no explanation needed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 81
forza ivano
November 20, 2023, 4:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,185
Gold Stars: 265

I think he is trying too hard to burnish his compassion  and the yearning to do things differently, but as you say he is making some faux pars on the way.

Football managers will be stoic about the inevitable sacking that comes, and especially for an experienced manager like Hurst who has seen it all before, and was given far more leeway than any manager would have expected.

It's new to the Board all the nuances of professional football, but I am not particularly a fan of these articles which are always sprinkled with a rather condescending selection of fashionable buzz words reading like an entrepreneurial handbook.

I think we need to be seeing a bit more progress with various things as well rather than keep saying the same things in different ways.

Well over a year ago he said we had people willing and ready to make investment into the club, on his usual proviso of being the right sort of people.  We will need huge investment to make any inroads on our ambition so are we any closer to substantial investment?

What's the plan with BP? Training complex?

there has to be a term for this
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 81
lew chaterleys lover
November 20, 2023, 4:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,717
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from forza ivano

there has to be a term for this

sodomist! I've amended it now! The term is member up by the way.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 81
HerveJosse
November 20, 2023, 5:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from heppy88

"It was important that we had acted in good faith and not reacted to the first bad game, as some fans wrongly assumed, but kept our nerve and executed against an agreed plan.

Not unpopular with me . I said long ago he is not the messiah . Whether he turns out to be a very naughty boy like his predecessor only time will tell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 81
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason Stockwood article in todays guardian - worth

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.