Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason Stockwood article in todays guardian - worth
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Jason Stockwood article in todays guardian - worth

This thread currently has 7,652 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
November 21, 2023, 2:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

So all you expect is continuous, uninterrupted progression and improvement? They've sacked PH and Doig which is fairly clear evidence that they weren't happy but if your expectation is for there never to be a bump and it just be continual linear improvement that that's ridiculous.  

Yes it would be ridiculous but it is also tiresome that some posters highlight a sentence or two of a post and act as if that was the main thrust of what was said; my post outlined one or two things I am concerned about but if you don't agree then fine. The sentence you highlighted was self explanatory when you read the full post, ie their vision is great but can it provide the results we all want without substantial investment?

Private Message
Reply: 60 - 81
lew chaterleys lover
November 21, 2023, 2:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Mappers

To even get mid to higher end league 1 we would need a decent level of investment you would suspect .

I am highly encouraged with the longer term vision for the younger players - giving Gardner,Conteh and Khouri 3 year contracts shows intent that we are giving them a chance to flourish ; you would hope at least one of those 3 will leave for a substantial fee creating some decent income .

Good point. Perhaps they are confident this route (selling on players) will give us the investment needed. Here's hoping.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 81
MuddyWaters
November 21, 2023, 3:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,250
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from chaos33

You’re now joining that group who can only apparently deal with a binary or overstated assessment. Who is saying things are ‘going perfectly’? I don’t recall seeing anyone post that. At the other end are those wanting to smash the owners for either communicating too much or being silent. ‘Waffling, ‘crying’ and ‘pandering to luvvies’ are other dopey notions being shared. Somewhere In the middle are surely those of us who would say:

The last two league results have been better, with much better in-game management,  but horrible defensive performances are still the order of the day. We’d all like to see the management situation resolved either way, with a strong and thoroughly researched appointment. We’re all rightly saying that the league position is way below par. We’d all like to see new facilities moving forward and an improvement in results. There’s too much overstatement at both ends of the scale

That's exactly my point. Nothing's perfect, never will be. Jason and Andrew have improved a lot of things in a very short space of time, very likely that they've spent on things that they hadn't even been aware of. It's very clear that they were as concerned about results as most of us were and, in their own timeframe, decided that it was time to act.

I'm sure too that they understand, as fans, how frustrating football is. Even if you make the best plans and investment, there is no guarantee of success, just a better chance of success in the future. That's what clearly sets them apart from the previous custodian.
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 81
LocalLadGTFC
November 21, 2023, 4:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,214
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Mappers

The problem is ,like I have said before the standard to compare them with is that low ; Fenty and the vast majority of other club owners are so bad it's pretty easy to say they are good - us knowing they won't put the club in any sort of turmoil is certainly mind easing - I'm more interested where they see us going/want to take us . Why has the plan changed from 10 years to 5 is another interesting question for the panel .

So lets not compare them to ours, lets compare them to majority of the other clubs in L2. Who's ownership model are you so obviously in love with that you want us to follow? The likes of Stockport, Mansfield, Notts County, Salford, Wrexham? The not self sustainable clubs that are spunking endless money trying to guarantee instant success and that will only ever get you so far and then you hit a roadblock and end up free falling once again. Look at the state of some of the clubs that have perished and some of the clubs on the brink of perishing due to the owners upping and leaving, Jesus christ you only have to take a look at down the road and see what on earth we could of been. That's what these clubs are flirting with.

Then you have the likes of Sutton, Bradford, Newport, Harrogate, MK Dons, Crawley and Swindon who are all in ownership turmoil. None of them are happy with the state of the way things are run at there clubs. You only have to look at the recent outcomings of the deals between Chelsea and Swindon to see how some of these clubs operate. We are bloody lucky to be owned by fans of the clubs that want to be self suffiecent in the eventuality of them leaving the club that we don't fall into obscurity, they're open about the fact they won't be here forever. They're approachable businessman that are doing good by our football club and we are in very good hands and I think a lot of people take that for granted just because there's no leaks coming out about who the next manager is it instantly means we obviously aren't actively in recruitment. Or the fact that there's no constant updates behind the scenes regarding any of the business ongoings that are happening within the football club. I'd much rather be updated when there's an actual update then be on false promises of a new stadium. They aren't responsible for on the field affairs, they can only provide the manager with the tools to do his job and as we heard from Hurst, he had a good budget and was always very complimentary about the way they let him run things and the new manager will get the exact same thing.  
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 63 - 81
mariner91
November 21, 2023, 5:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,651
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Mariner_09
Reality is, they can talk about data and progress and all that corporate jargon as much as they like, but this is the first proper decision they've actually had to make.

They inherited Hurst, and even if they had input in the decision, it was such an obvious appointment, I don't think you can give them much credit or indeed blame had it gone wrong.

If they get this one wrong, fans will start to turn.

Don't be daft. The fans won't turn so soon. We put up with Fenty for almost 20 years despite multiple relegations, virtually no success, endless media embarrassments and a whole host of shite managerial appointments. If the fans did turn on the back of one bad managerial appointment despite generally seeing some improvements across the club then shame on them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 81
Mappers
November 21, 2023, 8:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,320
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

So lets not compare them to ours, lets compare them to majority of the other clubs in L2. Who's ownership model are you so obviously in love with that you want us to follow? The likes of Stockport, Mansfield, Notts County, Salford, Wrexham? The not self sustainable clubs that are spunking endless money trying to guarantee instant success and that will only ever get you so far and then you hit a roadblock and end up free falling once again. Look at the state of some of the clubs that have perished and some of the clubs on the brink of perishing due to the owners upping and leaving, Jesus christ you only have to take a look at down the road and see what on earth we could of been. That's what these clubs are flirting with.

Then you have the likes of Sutton, Bradford, Newport, Harrogate, MK Dons, Crawley and Swindon who are all in ownership turmoil. None of them are happy with the state of the way things are run at there clubs. You only have to look at the recent outcomings of the deals between Chelsea and Swindon to see how some of these clubs operate. We are bloody lucky to be owned by fans of the clubs that want to be self suffiecent in the eventuality of them leaving the club that we don't fall into obscurity, they're open about the fact they won't be here forever. They're approachable businessman that are doing good by our football club and we are in very good hands and I think a lot of people take that for granted just because there's no leaks coming out about who the next manager is it instantly means we obviously aren't actively in recruitment. Or the fact that there's no constant updates behind the scenes regarding any of the business ongoings that are happening within the football club. I'd much rather be updated when there's an actual update then be on false promises of a new stadium. They aren't responsible for on the field affairs, they can only provide the manager with the tools to do his job and as we heard from Hurst, he had a good budget and was always very complimentary about the way they let him run things and the new manager will get the exact same thing.  

Personally I would just like them to keep going as they are and gradually improve off the field(whether that's an improved BP or  training ground) so they can leave something tangible when they do call it a day , without doing what your primary examples are it seems very difficult now to even get out of league 2 and maintain without it ; you need serious dosh and my own ambitions of off the field improvement but maybe still being a league 2 club in 5 or 10 years time might not be what a lot of others are hoping for.

It seems like we are looking to turnover talented young players which as i mentioned looks a good move maybe it's like a Peterborough lite of what they used to do time will tell .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 81
LocalLadGTFC
November 21, 2023, 9:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,214
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Mappers

Personally I would just like them to keep going as they are and gradually improve off the field(whether that's an improved BP or  training ground) so they can leave something tangible when they do call it a day , without doing what your primary examples are it seems very difficult now to even get out of league 2 and maintain without it ; you need serious dosh and my own ambitions of off the field improvement but maybe still being a league 2 club in 5 or 10 years time might not be what a lot of others are hoping for.

It seems like we are looking to turnover talented young players which as i mentioned looks a good move maybe it's like a Peterborough lite of what they used to do time will tell .

Totally agree mate, you need a good business model but like all things in life you need an element of luck. I'm hoping the newly passed football regulator means that we somewhat return to normality at the lower levels and teams are spending within there means. Going back to my point of luck, I think we've used all ours over the past two years as our council seems more intent on throwing up a new cinema in the town centre as a hub for the youths of tomorrow to gather that absolotely nobody asked for rather than supporting the towns football club. We already have a cinema in the area that whenever i've attended you aren't exactly rushing to get a seat. Take a trip down to Bradley FDC and you see a hub of operations that kids and adults alike are gathered every single night and it's very rare there's ever a pitch unused. Down the road at the college everyday from the hours of 5-9 the astro and sports hall is packed in operation again of kids and adults, men and women alike playing Football, Hockey, Netball, Badminton etc. I think we are excrement out of luck of living in a Town of councillors that are anonymous and are benign to getting out and seeing what the Town is actually like. Youths on the streets with nowhere to go, smashing up police cars and shops because they live in a town where really all you can do is roam the streets. My mum, and dad who unfortunately passed away on Saturday had run the Nunsthorpe Funhouse a few years back now and since that closed there's absolotely nothing to do for the kids anywhere. Scartho Baths closed down and the land has been abandoned every since. The Funhouse closed down, facilities are either to expensive or rundown to a state of not being used. A Training Ground for Grimsby Town football club in the day that could quite easily be transformed into a multi use sports and leisure facility by afternoon and night is something this Town could do with but instead we have a Cinema being built into the Town Centre when the one we already have doesn't get used...
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 66 - 81
davmariner
November 22, 2023, 12:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,931
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Totally agree mate, you need a good business model but like all things in life you need an element of luck. I'm hoping the newly passed football regulator means that we somewhat return to normality at the lower levels and teams are spending within there means. Going back to my point of luck, I think we've used all ours over the past two years as our council seems more intent on throwing up a new cinema in the town centre as a hub for the youths of tomorrow to gather that absolotely nobody asked for rather than supporting the towns football club. We already have a cinema in the area that whenever i've attended you aren't exactly rushing to get a seat. Take a trip down to Bradley FDC and you see a hub of operations that kids and adults alike are gathered every single night and it's very rare there's ever a pitch unused. Down the road at the college everyday from the hours of 5-9 the astro and sports hall is packed in operation again of kids and adults, men and women alike playing Football, Hockey, Netball, Badminton etc. I think we are excrement out of luck of living in a Town of councillors that are anonymous and are benign to getting out and seeing what the Town is actually like. Youths on the streets with nowhere to go, smashing up police cars and shops because they live in a town where really all you can do is roam the streets. My mum, and dad who unfortunately passed away on Saturday had run the Nunsthorpe Funhouse a few years back now and since that closed there's absolotely nothing to do for the kids anywhere. Scartho Baths closed down and the land has been abandoned every since. The Funhouse closed down, facilities are either to expensive or rundown to a state of not being used. A Training Ground for Grimsby Town football club in the day that could quite easily be transformed into a multi use sports and leisure facility by afternoon and night is something this Town could do with but instead we have a Cinema being built into the Town Centre when the one we already have doesn't get used...

Good post there and sorry to hear of your bereavement. UTM.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 81
Yarborough Vaults
November 22, 2023, 7:13am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
I've never got the 'kids have got nothing to do' argument. It's not as though they've read every book in the library.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 81
toontown
November 22, 2023, 7:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Sympathies for your bereavement.

I totally agree with the cinema thing and lots of the other stuff you've said.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason Stockwood article in todays guardian - worth

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.