Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason Stockwood article in todays guardian - worth
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Jason Stockwood article in todays guardian - worth

This thread currently has 7,667 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Mappers
November 22, 2023, 8:37am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,342
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Totally agree mate, you need a good business model but like all things in life you need an element of luck. I'm hoping the newly passed football regulator means that we somewhat return to normality at the lower levels and teams are spending within there means. Going back to my point of luck, I think we've used all ours over the past two years as our council seems more intent on throwing up a new cinema in the town centre as a hub for the youths of tomorrow to gather that absolotely nobody asked for rather than supporting the towns football club. We already have a cinema in the area that whenever i've attended you aren't exactly rushing to get a seat. Take a trip down to Bradley FDC and you see a hub of operations that kids and adults alike are gathered every single night and it's very rare there's ever a pitch unused. Down the road at the college everyday from the hours of 5-9 the astro and sports hall is packed in operation again of kids and adults, men and women alike playing Football, Hockey, Netball, Badminton etc. I think we are excrement out of luck of living in a Town of councillors that are anonymous and are benign to getting out and seeing what the Town is actually like. Youths on the streets with nowhere to go, smashing up police cars and shops because they live in a town where really all you can do is roam the streets. My mum, and dad who unfortunately passed away on Saturday had run the Nunsthorpe Funhouse a few years back now and since that closed there's absolotely nothing to do for the kids anywhere. Scartho Baths closed down and the land has been abandoned every since. The Funhouse closed down, facilities are either to expensive or rundown to a state of not being used. A Training Ground for Grimsby Town football club in the day that could quite easily be transformed into a multi use sports and leisure facility by afternoon and night is something this Town could do with but instead we have a Cinema being built into the Town Centre when the one we already have doesn't get used...

Good post .

I hope the football regulator does bring change .

I remember on The Price Of Football podcast them talking about the best run clubs in league 2 in terms of sustainability and financially the three teams they highlighted were us , Tranmere and Sutton Utd as the 3 best - look at our league positions ; that's the worry for me these sort of clubs will 'do it correctly' and potentially at a handicap if others just pony up the money on even more inflated wages and players it will have to be really efficiently managed as to where the extra money actually goes .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 81
November 22, 2023, 9:55am
Guest User
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults
I've never got the 'kids have got nothing to do' argument. It's not as though they've read every book in the library.

Agreed, when I was a kid we made our own 'things to do'.  Marbles, cigarette packets, conkers, etc.  In teenage years, meeting up in the park and playing football/cricket sometimes even an attempt at rugby.  There is always plenty to do if they just open their eyes.
Reply: 71 - 81
Croxton
November 22, 2023, 10:16am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,018
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from 123614

Agreed, when I was a kid we made our own 'things to do'.  Marbles, cigarette packets, conkers, etc.  In teenage years, meeting up in the park and playing football/cricket sometimes even an attempt at rugby.  There is always plenty to do if they just open their eyes.

That was luxury!  A park? All we had at Croxton was climbing trees, making trollies from pram wheels and putting pennies on the railway line.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 81
ska face
November 22, 2023, 10:28am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,665
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from 123614

The stuff you old codgers got up to your youth would put kids on the front page of local papers nowadays. We have a country built in the image of curtain-twitching homeowners and neighbourhood watch vigilantes. At the top, the idea that kids (or anyone) might engage in something without making a profit for someone else is verboten - you can’t kick a ball around the streets anymore in case you get mud on some tart’s Range Rover, you need to go down to Goals and book a pitch.

A gang of teenagers in a park now, if you can even find one, would have the local busybodies calling the police. There’s no wonder kids prefer to stop at home.
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 81
IlkleyMariner
November 22, 2023, 10:47am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Croxton

That was luxury!  A park? All we had at Croxton was climbing trees, making trollies from pram wheels and putting pennies on the railway line.

There used to be a house in the centre of Croxton with a tree in the garden trimmed to look like a peacock. Is it still there?

I agree there can’t have been a lot to do in Croxton, although the Marrow Bone and Cleaver used to be a good pub in the 1960s
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 81
mariner91
November 22, 2023, 10:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Totally agree mate, you need a good business model but like all things in life you need an element of luck. I'm hoping the newly passed football regulator means that we somewhat return to normality at the lower levels and teams are spending within there means. Going back to my point of luck, I think we've used all ours over the past two years as our council seems more intent on throwing up a new cinema in the town centre as a hub for the youths of tomorrow to gather that absolotely nobody asked for rather than supporting the towns football club. We already have a cinema in the area that whenever i've attended you aren't exactly rushing to get a seat. Take a trip down to Bradley FDC and you see a hub of operations that kids and adults alike are gathered every single night and it's very rare there's ever a pitch unused. Down the road at the college everyday from the hours of 5-9 the astro and sports hall is packed in operation again of kids and adults, men and women alike playing Football, Hockey, Netball, Badminton etc. I think we are excrement out of luck of living in a Town of councillors that are anonymous and are benign to getting out and seeing what the Town is actually like. Youths on the streets with nowhere to go, smashing up police cars and shops because they live in a town where really all you can do is roam the streets. My mum, and dad who unfortunately passed away on Saturday had run the Nunsthorpe Funhouse a few years back now and since that closed there's absolotely nothing to do for the kids anywhere. Scartho Baths closed down and the land has been abandoned every since. The Funhouse closed down, facilities are either to expensive or rundown to a state of not being used. A Training Ground for Grimsby Town football club in the day that could quite easily be transformed into a multi use sports and leisure facility by afternoon and night is something this Town could do with but instead we have a Cinema being built into the Town Centre when the one we already have doesn't get used...

Sorry to hear about your dad, my condolences to you and your family.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 81
LocalLadGTFC
November 22, 2023, 1:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,229
Gold Stars: 137
Thankyou for the kind words everyone. Only to echo the words of Ska, the times have moved on and this generation are merely glued to the internet. I think I was in the last generation of kids that would go out in the street and play kickball rounders or go with your mates and chuck a couple of jumpers down after school and play football till it got dark or the person who balls it was had enough. It's truly a shame because it made me enjoy my childhood 10 fold and i'd much rather that then what my son is growing up in, Sport provides inclusivity and togetherness aswell as teaching kids discipline from an early age. There's not enough to do in Grimsby for the kids that are less fortunate, the council doesn't seem to be interested in anything other than how much they can pocket for themselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 76 - 81
Croxton
November 22, 2023, 11:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,018
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

There used to be a house in the centre of Croxton with a tree in the garden trimmed to look like a peacock. Is it still there?

I agree there can’t have been a lot to do in Croxton, although the Marrow Bone and Cleaver used to be a good pub in the 1960s

That was our house! Dad was known for his gardening prowess. Only a farm labourer's tied cottage but a massive vegetable patch which he ploughed each  year. No money but we were well fed. Sherry trifle was the nearest we got to alcohol. Dad was also a Church organist and I was forced to be a choirboy as well as go to Sunday School.

Dad moved to work at a Habrough farm when I was ten and I got to experience the 'good life' of downtown Immingham which did have a park where kids could play etc. They also had girls there too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 81
Shipwrecked In Gainsborough
November 22, 2023, 11:34pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +248
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Croxton

That was our house! Dad was known for his gardening prowess. Only a farm labourer's tied cottage but a massive vegetable patch which he ploughed each  year. No money but we were well fed. Sherry trifle was the nearest we got to alcohol. Dad was also a Church organist and I was forced to be a choirboy as well as go to Sunday School.

Dad moved to work at a Habrough farm when I was ten and I got to experience the 'good life' of downtown Immingham which did have a park where kids could play etc. They also had girls there too.

My experience of girls from Immingham was that they were pretty scary!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 81
Northbank Mariner
November 23, 2023, 7:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,499
Gold Stars: 171

My experience of girls from Immingham was that they were pretty scary!!

Tell ya what, at 14 I went in a boy, cane out a man...the girls grim Immingham had a tag line " intercourse me,or fight me", let's just say i never got punched.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason Stockwood article in todays guardian - worth

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.