Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason Stockwood article in todays guardian - worth
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Jason Stockwood article in todays guardian - worth

This thread currently has 7,651 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
November 21, 2023, 9:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,936
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Is the long awaited training ground a detail or a nuance? 🤔

You may have missed the point somewhat, but there will no doubt be a question and an update at the forum, if indeed, there is anything to report.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 81
MuddyWaters
November 21, 2023, 9:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,249
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from chaos33

You may have missed the point somewhat, but there will no doubt be a question and an update at the forum, if indeed, there is anything to report.

Haven’t missed the point at all. Just slightly bemused by the perception that everything is going perfectly, when in reality it’s not.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 81
wuffing
November 21, 2023, 9:32am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38
Perspective:   Old owners, 20 years of a new stadium coming so the continuous running down of Blundell Park, resulting in a shabby and excrement stadium which was frekking embarrassing for all to see.

New owners: Economic depression but lots of improvements done because there is nowhere to move unless we build it on stilts in the Humber, so hands basically tied.

Not bigging new owners up but the 'inheritance' of all in the first paragraph PLUS a certain person's debt demand makes me think that we are in good hands presently, which, I believe, is reflected in our continuous good gates?

Conclusion: Who in their right mind would take on a rundown, decrepit old football ground with massive debt attached and with hardly ANY prospect of making a bean from the 'investment' made and WHY?

Answers by email, online or a a postcerd please to: The Old Loony House, c/o Fishy Towers, Grimsby.

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 81
ska face
November 21, 2023, 9:37am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Is the long awaited training ground a detail or a nuance? 🤔

Training ground nuance? Thought we’d already said no to Geoff Broom?
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 81
November 21, 2023, 9:44am
Guest User
Quoted from wuffing
Perspective:   Old owners, 20 years of a new stadium coming so the continuous running down of Blundell Park, resulting in a shabby and excrement stadium which was frekking embarrassing for all to see.

New owners: Economic depression but lots of improvements done because there is nowhere to move unless we build it on stilts in the Humber, so hands basically tied.

Not bigging new owners up but the 'inheritance' of all in the first paragraph PLUS a certain person's debt demand makes me think that we are in good hands presently, which, I believe, is reflected in our continuous good gates?

Conclusion: Who in their right mind would take on a rundown, decrepit old football ground with massive debt attached and with hardly ANY prospect of making a bean from the 'investment' made and WHY?

Answers by email, online or a a postcerd please to: The Old Loony House, c/o Fishy Towers, Grimsby.

Well said, that's how I see it too.

As for "the perception that everything is going perfectly" - well I don't have that perception and I'd suggest football and perfection
are very unlikely bedfellows (anytime, anywhere, any club).
What would be gained by broadcasting any problems they might be experiencing?
Reply: 44 - 81
Blundellite
November 21, 2023, 9:56am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +71
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from wuffing

absolutely spot on - god knows where we would be if Fenty was still in charge. I'm very grateful that JS and AP have stepped up to the plate.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 81
November 21, 2023, 10:05am
Guest User
Quoted from Blundellite

absolutely spot on - god knows where we would be if Fenty was still ion charge. I'm very grateful that JS and AP have stepped up to the plate.

This!  I really don't get some people on here, JS is a lifelong GTFC fan, and is doing everything he can to take the club forward.  Just because it's not happening right away for some people, is tough sh!t, that's life.  Grow up and be grateful for what they have done already for the club.  

Reply: 46 - 81
Mappers
November 21, 2023, 10:20am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from 137

Well said, that's how I see it too.

As for "the perception that everything is going perfectly" - well I don't have that perception and I'd suggest football and perfection
are very unlikely bedfellows (anytime, anywhere, any club).
What would be gained by broadcasting any problems they might be experiencing?

The problem is ,like I have said before the standard to compare them with is that low ; Fenty and the vast majority of other club owners are so bad it's pretty easy to say they are good - us knowing they won't put the club in any sort of turmoil is certainly mind easing - I'm more interested where they see us going/want to take us . Why has the plan changed from 10 years to 5 is another interesting question for the panel .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 81
diehardmariner
November 21, 2023, 10:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
I think it's probably important, if we're going back to the article, to reference the fact that Stockwood will have a word limit for each article and it won't be a huge limit either.  

Probably very difficult to really pay tribute, which is what I think most of us think Hurst deserves, in such a short article on top of giving that behind the scenes insight that the Guardian editorial will mandate from Stockwood's pieces.  

Personally, I'm a bit done with the articles in the Guardian.  We get enough insight from Stockwood via his interviews with Humberside, fans forums, occasional podcast episodes etc.  This just feels a bit more of a watered down version of the greater detail we get, which is exactly what it is.

Non-GTFC fans probably don't care about Stockwood saying thanks to Hurst, that's what the official statements etc. are for and really it's more for 'us' as GTFC fans than everyone else.  

As much as my interest in these little articles has gone, there's still huge value in them.  Is Stockwood strengthening his media position?  Probably, who knows...  But is he putting further eyes on our club?  Again, probably.  That can only be a good thing. It's certainly not comparable in numbers but Wrexham have attracted literally hundreds of thousands of extra 'fans', if not millions based on a TV show.  We're not going to be seeing that level of increased interest, but exposure is always good.    
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 81
Mariner_09
November 21, 2023, 11:10am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Reality is, they can talk about data and progress and all that corporate jargon as much as they like, but this is the first proper decision they've actually had to make.

They inherited Hurst, and even if they had input in the decision, it was such an obvious appointment, I don't think you can give them much credit or indeed blame had it gone wrong.

If they get this one wrong, fans will start to turn.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason Stockwood article in todays guardian - worth

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.