Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason Stockwood article in todays guardian - worth
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Jason Stockwood article in todays guardian - worth

This thread currently has 7,663 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
November 21, 2023, 11:23am
Guest User
Quoted from Mappers

The problem is ,like I have said before the standard to compare them with is that low ; Fenty and the vast majority of other club owners are so bad it's pretty easy to say they are good - us knowing they won't put the club in any sort of turmoil is certainly mind easing - I'm more interested where they see us going/want to take us . Why has the plan changed from 10 years to 5 is another interesting question for the panel .

Maybe it's like a football match - you set out your plan for the first-half. If it ain't working as you'd hoped, you change things at half-time
whilst consuming oranges. (I guess they don't do the oranges these days...   )

More seriously, how on earth could anyone offer a watertight plan for the next ten years given how much football has changed, and is changing?

I suspect the impact of VAR and the boom in women's football wouldn't have been foreseeable 10 years ago.

Who knows what the new Independent Regulator will do, and what impact that will have on the game?

What will be the impact of Manchester City being demoted to League 2 due to 'financial irregularities'? (Er...only possibly on that)

Any 10 year plan will need to be flexible, and perhaps binned entirely if the game changes fundamentally.

So I'm not too fussed about what the 10 year plan is, and if they want to do it in two halves that makes more sense to me given the above.

UTM
Reply: 50 - 81
November 21, 2023, 11:30am
Guest User
Quoted from Mariner_09
Reality is, they can talk about data and progress and all that corporate jargon as much as they like, but this is the first proper decision they've actually had to make.

They inherited Hurst, and even if they had input in the decision, it was such an obvious appointment, I don't think you can give them much credit or indeed blame had it gone wrong.

If they get this one wrong, fans will start to turn.

They're doing the best they can. What more do you want?
Reply: 51 - 81
lew chaterleys lover
November 21, 2023, 11:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,731
Gold Stars: 237
I suppose most fans will want to see results on and off the field in a reasonable time frame.

This board have a vision and a new way of doing things which is great, but people will only continue to be enthused by a combination of some prospects of success on the field and some definite plans for the infrastructure of the club.

The new management set up will hopefully give us renewed hope on the playing front, but all the clubs who are making, or have improved their standing in the game from a low base have had really substantial investment. It is just a fact of modern football life.

This is the part that worries me most. We really must have investment into the club before any fanciful notion of doing a Brentford or Brighton can even get out of the starting blocks.

They have made a solid start and I really appreciate the ethos that is behind their vision, but can it provide tangible results?
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 81
Mappers
November 21, 2023, 11:58am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,340
Gold Stars: 119
I suppose most fans will want to see results on and off the field in a reasonable time frame.

This board have a vision and a new way of doing things which is great, but people will only continue to be enthused by a combination of some prospects of success on the field and some definite plans for the infrastructure of the club.

The new management set up will hopefully give us renewed hope on the playing front, but all the clubs who are making, or have improved their standing in the game from a low base have had really substantial investment. It is just a fact of modern football life.

This is the part that worries me most. We really must have investment into the club before any fanciful notion of doing a Brentford or Brighton can even get out of the starting blocks.

They have made a solid start and I really appreciate the ethos that is behind their vision, but can it provide tangible results?

To even get mid to higher end league 1 we would need a decent level of investment you would suspect .

I am highly encouraged with the longer term vision for the younger players - giving Gardner,Conteh and Khouri 3 year contracts shows intent that we are giving them a chance to flourish ; you would hope at least one of those 3 will leave for a substantial fee creating some decent income .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 81
Rodley Mariner
November 21, 2023, 1:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177

What sort of tangible on field stuff are you hoping for? Promotions? FA Cup Quarter Finals? Highest league finishes in 17 years? Stuff like that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 81
lew chaterleys lover
November 21, 2023, 1:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,731
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

What sort of tangible on field stuff are you hoping for? Promotions? FA Cup Quarter Finals? Highest league finishes in 17 years? Stuff like that?

That was great but we are now in exactly the same position as when they took over - at the bottom end of League 2.

Looking back isn't really an option.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 81
Rodley Mariner
November 21, 2023, 2:03pm
Special Brew Drinker

That was great but we are now in exactly the same position as when they took over - at the bottom end of League 2.

Looking back isn't really an option.

So all you expect is continuous, uninterrupted progression and improvement? They've sacked PH and Doig which is fairly clear evidence that they weren't happy but if your expectation is for there never to be a bump and it just be continual linear improvement that that's ridiculous.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 81
chaos33
November 21, 2023, 2:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Haven’t missed the point at all. Just slightly bemused by the perception that everything is going perfectly, when in reality it’s not.

You’re now joining that group who can only apparently deal with a binary or overstated assessment. Who is saying things are ‘going perfectly’? I don’t recall seeing anyone post that. At the other end are those wanting to smash the owners for either communicating too much or being silent. ‘Waffling, ‘crying’ and ‘pandering to luvvies’ are other dopey notions being shared. Somewhere In the middle are surely those of us who would say:

The last two league results have been better, with much better in-game management,  but horrible defensive performances are still the order of the day. We’d all like to see the management situation resolved either way, with a strong and thoroughly researched appointment. We’re all rightly saying that the league position is way below par. We’d all like to see new facilities moving forward and an improvement in results. There’s too much overstatement at both ends of the scale

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 81
Mariner_09
November 21, 2023, 2:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

And who else achieved all of that?

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 81
Rodley Mariner
November 21, 2023, 2:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09

And who else achieved all of that?

I presume you mean Hurst but I'm not sure what point you're making?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason Stockwood article in todays guardian - worth

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.