Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason Stockwood article in todays guardian - worth
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Jason Stockwood article in todays guardian - worth

This thread currently has 7,657 views. Print
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Blundellite
November 20, 2023, 10:07am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +71
Gold Stars: 18
explains the rationale of sacking Hurst

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news.....adf635b7d1&ei=20
Private Message
heppy88
November 20, 2023, 3:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
I know this won't be popular, but I have to get this off my chest.

As per most of his Guardian articles, he uses a scatter gun approach, discussing little bits of this (data in football) and that (sacking a manager) and trying to weave a thread through it all. But, by the end of it you are left asking what was the point of that? In what is a short piece he manages to belittle a manager, who has had such a positive influence on the club, during his two tenures and had two digs at the fans.

Don't get me wrong, it was time for Hurst to leave (and I believe Hurst himself knew that), but I do not believe its right that Stockwood uses this for his media project. A photograph of a dejected Hurst heads the article, which in a round about way discusses the time before his sacking. I quote:

"Most fans don’t show anywhere near enough compassion or empathy when shouting for managers to lose their jobs. Most seem oblivious to the fact that it is someone’s livelihood and vocation that is being challenged, that someone has to go home to tell their children they have lost their job on the day it happens."

I agree Jason, some of us don't perhaps consider the personal effects of our comments on the manager/player. But where is the compassion and empathy when you decided to use his sacking for your benefit? When Hurst and his family can pick up a national newspaper and see what can only be described as a major low point in someones life being used in this way? But the above quote and the one which now follows demonstrates a worrying trend that Stockwood has at criticising the fans:

"It was important that we had acted in good faith and not reacted to the first bad game, as some fans wrongly assumed, but kept our nerve and executed against an agreed plan.

If you can get past the arrogance of that statement, correct me if i'm wrong, do any of us genuinely know of any fan calling for Hursts sacking after this rather ambiguous "first bad game"?  How many fans do you know call for the head of a manager after an initial bad game? Very few, if any at all.

Back in June he randomly posted a tweet calling fans trolls if they were to negatively comment on two back to back losses. Bizarrely, this off the cuff and totally unprovoked remark was in response to a celebratory tweet made by the club relating to high season ticket sales. Some of the more level headed tweeters criticised his remarks and I would argue that the tweet and his comments in the Guardian reveal his inability to accept that the fans have their own opinions and may want to express those opinions. It's funny that the comments section to his article today have been turned off!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 81
Badger57
November 20, 2023, 3:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,912
Gold Stars: 30
He does talk a load of balderdash at times doesn't he?
Just give the job to an A.I. data analyst and be done with it Jason.  😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 81
arryarryarry
November 20, 2023, 4:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from heppy88

As per most of his Guardian articles, he uses a scatter gun approach, discussing little bits of this (data in football) and that (sacking a manager) and trying to weave a thread through it all. But, by the end of it you are left asking that was the point of that? In what is a short piece he manages to belittle a manager, who has had such a positive influence on the club, during his two tenures and had two digs at the fans.

Don't get me wrong, it was time for Hurst to leave (and I believe Hurst himself knew that), but I do not believe its right that Stockwood uses this for his media project. A photograph of a dejected Hurst heads the article, which in a round about way discusses the time before his sacking. I quote:

"Most fans don’t show anywhere near enough compassion or empathy when shouting for managers to lose their jobs. Most seem oblivious to the fact that it is someone’s livelihood and vocation that is being challenged, that someone has to go home to tell their children they have lost their job on the day it happens."

I agree Jason, some of us don't perhaps consider the personal effects of our comments on the manager/player. But where is the compassion and empathy when you decided to use his sacking for your benefit? When Hurst and his family can pick up a national newspaper and see what can only be described as a major low point in someones life being used in this way? But the above quote and the one which now follows demonstrates a worrying trend that Stockwood has at criticising the fans:

"It was important that we had acted in good faith and not reacted to the first bad game, as some fans wrongly assumed[b][/b], but kept our nerve and executed against an agreed plan.

If you can get past the arrogance of that statement, correct me if i'm wrong, do any of us genuinely know of any fan calling for Hursts sacking after this rather ambiguous "first bad game"?  How many fans do you know call for the head of a manager after an initial bad game? Very few, if any at all.

Back in June he randomly posted a tweet calling fans trolls if they were to negatively comment on two back to back losses. Bizarrely, this off the cuff and totally unprovoked remark was in response to a celebratory tweet made by the club relating to high season ticket sales. Some of the more level headed tweeters criticised his remarks and I would argue that the tweet and his comments in the Guardian reveal his inability to accept that the fans have their own opinions and may want to express those opinions. It's funny that the comments section to his article today have been turned off!!

I agree with some of the points you make however every football club manager must be aware that they could be a handful of games from the sack and in quite a few cases usually walk back into a job at another club and can well have a contract that could see them receiving full pay for a year or more unlike many of the rest of us.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 81
lew chaterleys lover
November 20, 2023, 4:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,718
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from heppy88

As per most of his Guardian articles, he uses a scatter gun approach, discussing little bits of this (data in football) and that (sacking a manager) and trying to weave a thread through it all. But, by the end of it you are left asking that was the point of that? In what is a short piece he manages to belittle a manager, who has had such a positive influence on the club, during his two tenures and had two digs at the fans.

"It was important that we had acted in good faith and not reacted to the first bad game, as some fans wrongly assumed[b][/b], but kept our nerve and executed against an agreed plan.

I think he is trying too hard to burnish his compassion  and the yearning to do things differently, but as you say he is making some faux pas on the way.

Football managers will be stoic about the inevitable sacking that comes, and especially for an experienced manager like Hurst who has seen it all before, and was given far more leeway than any manager would have expected.

It's new to the Board all the nuances of professional football, but I am not particularly a fan of these articles which are always sprinkled with a rather condescending selection of fashionable buzz words reading like an entrepreneurial handbook.

I think we need to be seeing a bit more progress with various things as well rather than keep saying the same things in different ways.

Well over a year ago he said we had people willing and ready to make investment into the club, on his usual proviso of being the right sort of people.  We will need huge investment to make any inroads on our ambition so are we any closer to substantial investment?

What's the plan with BP? Training complex?

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 81
Mappers
November 20, 2023, 4:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
I do get your point regarding the fans comment - in a general situation he is correct but with this one he's wide of the mark as there has in the main been a lot of love for Hurst even after he left , no doubt Hurst's  well timed statement pulled on our heart strings a bit more too .

I normally think he talks some good stuff , but it seemed a needless angle towards  fans that in the main stuck behind a manager after 3 wins in 23 or whatever it was .

Slightly bizarre and needless .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 81
Azimuth
November 20, 2023, 4:35pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from Blundellite
explains the rationale of sacking Hurst

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news.....adf635b7d1&ei=20

Waffle.
When all said and done Hurst had failed this season, end of story and no explanation needed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 81
forza ivano
November 20, 2023, 4:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,185
Gold Stars: 265

I think he is trying too hard to burnish his compassion  and the yearning to do things differently, but as you say he is making some faux pars on the way.

Football managers will be stoic about the inevitable sacking that comes, and especially for an experienced manager like Hurst who has seen it all before, and was given far more leeway than any manager would have expected.

It's new to the Board all the nuances of professional football, but I am not particularly a fan of these articles which are always sprinkled with a rather condescending selection of fashionable buzz words reading like an entrepreneurial handbook.

I think we need to be seeing a bit more progress with various things as well rather than keep saying the same things in different ways.

Well over a year ago he said we had people willing and ready to make investment into the club, on his usual proviso of being the right sort of people.  We will need huge investment to make any inroads on our ambition so are we any closer to substantial investment?

What's the plan with BP? Training complex?

there has to be a term for this
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 81
lew chaterleys lover
November 20, 2023, 4:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

there has to be a term for this

sodomist! I've amended it now! The term is member up by the way.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 81
HerveJosse
November 20, 2023, 5:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from heppy88

"It was important that we had acted in good faith and not reacted to the first bad game, as some fans wrongly assumed, but kept our nerve and executed against an agreed plan.

Not unpopular with me . I said long ago he is not the messiah . Whether he turns out to be a very naughty boy like his predecessor only time will tell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 81
chaos33
November 20, 2023, 5:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Azimuth

Waffle.
When all said and done Hurst had failed this season, end of story and no explanation needed.

You only deal in simple,  binary concepts though mate don’t you.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 81
Roast Em Bobby
November 20, 2023, 5:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
The thing that stood out to me was that the article says we are working on a 5 year plan, when I thought it was previously said (multiple times) it was a 10 year plan they were working on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 81
GibMariner
November 20, 2023, 5:47pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
Was there a little dig at the fans again🤔

Do they really think talking all this data bxxxolox impresses and particularly when it’s not going well on the field.

Anyway how much longer are they going to swerve making a simple decision (nothing useful e said on that). Stick or twist and forget all this pretext of we’re bucking the trend because we’ve reinvented due process in football.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 81
chaos33
November 20, 2023, 5:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GibMariner

Do they really think talking all this data bxxxolox impresses and particularly when it’s not going well on the field.

Anyway how much longer are they going to swerve making a simple decision (nothing useful e said on that). Stick or twist and forget all this pretext of we’re bucking the trend because we’ve reinvented due process in football.

Not going well on the field? Somebody said we’re showing ‘promotion form’ yesterday.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 81
forza ivano
November 20, 2023, 5:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,185
Gold Stars: 265

sodomist! I've amended it now! The term is member up by the way.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 81
jamesgtfc
November 20, 2023, 5:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,963
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from GibMariner

If appointing our new Head Coach is a simple decision, who you going for Gib?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 81
male private Nale
November 20, 2023, 6:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
He loves courting favour of the Guardian luvvies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 81
ancientmariner54
November 20, 2023, 6:25pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -185
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from heppy88

I agree your statement is not popular

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 81
ancientmariner54
November 20, 2023, 6:33pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: -185
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from GibMariner

Not going well on the field ? Do you actually go to the games or are you sat at home studying the league position. If you don't think things have improved over the last four matches you must be watching a different game to me .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 81
sam gy
November 20, 2023, 7:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Azimuth

Waffle.

It’s not an official club statement, it’s an article on a national newspapers website giving a bit of a behind the curtain (if you will) insight in to what it’s like when you own a football club and have to sack a manager. People find this stuff interesting/insightful, if you don’t, fair enough..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 81
Brummie Codfather
November 20, 2023, 7:11pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +851
Quoted from heppy88

How many fans do you know call for the head of a manager after an initial bad game? Very few, if any at all.

I’ve heard them at pretty much every game I’ve ever been to, regardless of the manager…….
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 81
Humbercod
November 20, 2023, 7:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,489
Gold Stars: 82
How’s the new training ground coming along Jason?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 81
LondonMariner43
November 20, 2023, 7:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,954
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from sam gy

It’s not an official club statement, it’s an article on a national newspapers website giving a bit of a behind the curtain (if you will) insight in to what it’s like when you own a football club and have to sack a manager. People find this stuff interesting/insightful, if you don’t, fair enough..

I agree.  I thought it was an interesting article.  He wasn’t criticizing Town fans - he was making the correct point that fans often call for a manager to be sacked without reflecting on the human cost. I would imagine it was a tough call to sack PH because there was clearly a strong relationship and no-one likes to sack a colleague.  I’d rather have a owner who is thoughtful about decisions and shows some humanity than some of the alternatives out there.

Was interesting to see Wayne Burnett comment on Twitter.  I expect he will have applied for the job.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 81
GibMariner
November 20, 2023, 7:37pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Quoted from jamesgtfc

If appointing our new Head Coach is a simple decision, who you going for Gib?

PH without DD.

Ben and Shaun have been great and will be but don’t believe their time is right now. Recruitment will be key and PH has track.

And yes I do games and have seen the upturn but most on here think as I do B&S not just yet.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 81
Roast Em Bobby
November 20, 2023, 7:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from GibMariner

PH without DD.

Ben and Shaun have been great and will be but don’t believe their time is right now. Recruitment will be key and PH has track.

And yes I do games and have seen the upturn but most on here think as I do B&S not just yet.

Is there anything in DD being the problem or are you just guessing?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 81
grimsby pete
November 20, 2023, 7:49pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,799
Gold Stars: 222
Please ask your questions at the fans forum Jason is not like fenty. He won't come on the fishy to answer your questions.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 81
MuddyWaters
November 20, 2023, 8:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from grimsby pete
Please ask your questions at the fans forum Jason is not like fenty. He won't come on the fishy to answer your questions.

Did he ring you to tell you Pete? 😂😂😂😂
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 81
arryarryarry
November 20, 2023, 8:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from LondonMariner43

I agree.  I thought it was an interesting article.  He wasn’t criticizing Town fans - he was making the correct point that fans often call for a manager to be sacked without reflecting on the human cost. I would imagine it was a tough call to sack PH because there was clearly a strong relationship and no-one likes to sack a colleague.  I’d rather have a owner who is thoughtful about decisions and shows some humanity than some of the alternatives out there.

Was interesting to see Wayne Burnett comment on Twitter.  I expect he will have applied for the job.

I was in the Main Stand when fans in front of the old directors box were chanting McAvoy out.

How long ago was that😁
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 81
grimsby pete
November 20, 2023, 8:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,799
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Did he ring you to tell you Pete? 😂😂😂😂

No like I said he is not like Fenty.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 81
ginnywings
November 20, 2023, 8:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from GibMariner

JS said right at the onset that the process would take weeks rather than days, and that they hadn't started looking before relieving PH of his duties. I personally didn't feel "digged at" by that article, but then I'm not someone who feels the need to have a moan about everything the club do and say.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 81
lew chaterleys lover
November 20, 2023, 8:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

JS said right at the onset that the process would take weeks rather than days, and that they hadn't started looking before relieving PH of his duties. I personally didn't feel "digged at" by that article, but then I'm not someone who feels the need to have a moan about everything the club do and say.

But you react by having the occasional sebatical as you have said before. Other fans might stick with it through thin and thin so we are all different aren't we?
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 81
BraStrap
November 20, 2023, 8:51pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
The thing that stood out to me was that the article says we are working on a 5 year plan, when I thought it was previously said (multiple times) it was a 10 year plan they were working on.

Can't you have both? The 5 year is just the first half of the 10 year initially but can be revised with the same long term goal?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 81
Roast Em Bobby
November 20, 2023, 9:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from BraStrap

Can't you have both? The 5 year is just the first half of the 10 year initially but can be revised with the same long term goal?

I guess so. Probably nothing in it, I just just bignot vibes when I start hearing contradicting company lines being trotted out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 81
Mappers
November 20, 2023, 9:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Like most things it could be interpreted in different ways , he may well have been generalising with the fan comment but I just thought it was unnecessary when what he said was a complete contradiction to the way Hurst has been treated by the majority of Town fans and it didn't really fit the narrative of what he's saying . Not a moan just my observation   .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 81
Mappers
November 20, 2023, 9:38pm
Champagne Drinker
I would rather him answer some more pressing questions -

I can't go to the fans forum but if anyone is please can they ask these .
Unless i can send them in?

- where are we with the new training ground ?
- Is the main stand undergoing the more extensive redevelopment next summer ?
-Are thry still looking at filling in the corners ?
-Are they still looking at upgrading the disabled facilities ?
-How do they plan on retaining season ticket holders if we continue to struggle in league 2?
-Where are they in terms of investors , do they even want investment at this point , or are Jason & Andrew still happy to go with it as it is ?
-Are they still looking to progress/invest in the womens team?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 81
HerveJosse
November 20, 2023, 9:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Mappers
I would rather him answer some more pressing questions -

I can't go to the fans forum but if anyone is please can they ask these .
Unless i can send them in?

- where are we with the new training ground ?
- Is the main stand undergoing the more extensive redevelopment next summer ?
-Are thry still looking at filling in the corners ?
-Are they still looking at upgrading the disabled facilities ?
-How do they plan on retaining season ticket holders if we continue to struggle in league 2?
-Where are they in terms of investors , do they even want investment at this point , or are Jason & Andrew still happy to go with it as it is ?
-Are they still looking to progress/invest in the womens team?

In the words of the Italian Phoenician polymath Maximus Bollockus who knows
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 81
grimps
November 21, 2023, 4:45am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

It would be nice if he shared those plans with us, then we can gauge if we're on track
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 81
chaos33
November 21, 2023, 5:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
But if he did do that you’d have the usual half dozen people on here, and loads more perpetual entitled, angry warriors with short attention spans and no eye for detail and nuance calling that: ‘PR bullsh1t’, ‘spin’, ‘crying’, ‘data waffle’ and numerous other things which we’ve read on here and on Twitter recently.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 81
MuddyWaters
November 21, 2023, 6:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
But if he did do that you’d have the usual half dozen people on here, and loads more perpetual entitled, angry warriors with short attention spans and no eye for detail and nuance calling that: ‘PR bullsh1t’, ‘spin’, ‘crying’, ‘data waffle’ and numerous other things which we’ve read on here and on Twitter recently.

Is the long awaited training ground a detail or a nuance? 🤔
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 81
Swansea_Mariner
November 21, 2023, 8:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,454
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Potentially myth at this point
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 81
chaos33
November 21, 2023, 9:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You may have missed the point somewhat, but there will no doubt be a question and an update at the forum, if indeed, there is anything to report.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 81
MuddyWaters
November 21, 2023, 9:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

You may have missed the point somewhat, but there will no doubt be a question and an update at the forum, if indeed, there is anything to report.

Haven’t missed the point at all. Just slightly bemused by the perception that everything is going perfectly, when in reality it’s not.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 81
wuffing
November 21, 2023, 9:32am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38
Perspective:   Old owners, 20 years of a new stadium coming so the continuous running down of Blundell Park, resulting in a shabby and excrement stadium which was frekking embarrassing for all to see.

New owners: Economic depression but lots of improvements done because there is nowhere to move unless we build it on stilts in the Humber, so hands basically tied.

Not bigging new owners up but the 'inheritance' of all in the first paragraph PLUS a certain person's debt demand makes me think that we are in good hands presently, which, I believe, is reflected in our continuous good gates?

Conclusion: Who in their right mind would take on a rundown, decrepit old football ground with massive debt attached and with hardly ANY prospect of making a bean from the 'investment' made and WHY?

Answers by email, online or a a postcerd please to: The Old Loony House, c/o Fishy Towers, Grimsby.

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 81
ska face
November 21, 2023, 9:37am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Training ground nuance? Thought we’d already said no to Geoff Broom?
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 81
November 21, 2023, 9:44am
Guest User
Quoted from wuffing
Perspective:   Old owners, 20 years of a new stadium coming so the continuous running down of Blundell Park, resulting in a shabby and excrement stadium which was frekking embarrassing for all to see.

New owners: Economic depression but lots of improvements done because there is nowhere to move unless we build it on stilts in the Humber, so hands basically tied.

Not bigging new owners up but the 'inheritance' of all in the first paragraph PLUS a certain person's debt demand makes me think that we are in good hands presently, which, I believe, is reflected in our continuous good gates?

Conclusion: Who in their right mind would take on a rundown, decrepit old football ground with massive debt attached and with hardly ANY prospect of making a bean from the 'investment' made and WHY?

Answers by email, online or a a postcerd please to: The Old Loony House, c/o Fishy Towers, Grimsby.

Well said, that's how I see it too.

As for "the perception that everything is going perfectly" - well I don't have that perception and I'd suggest football and perfection
are very unlikely bedfellows (anytime, anywhere, any club).
What would be gained by broadcasting any problems they might be experiencing?
Reply: 44 - 81
Blundellite
November 21, 2023, 9:56am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +71
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from wuffing

absolutely spot on - god knows where we would be if Fenty was still in charge. I'm very grateful that JS and AP have stepped up to the plate.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 81
November 21, 2023, 10:05am
Guest User
Quoted from Blundellite

absolutely spot on - god knows where we would be if Fenty was still ion charge. I'm very grateful that JS and AP have stepped up to the plate.

This!  I really don't get some people on here, JS is a lifelong GTFC fan, and is doing everything he can to take the club forward.  Just because it's not happening right away for some people, is tough sh!t, that's life.  Grow up and be grateful for what they have done already for the club.  

Reply: 46 - 81
Mappers
November 21, 2023, 10:20am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from 137

Well said, that's how I see it too.

As for "the perception that everything is going perfectly" - well I don't have that perception and I'd suggest football and perfection
are very unlikely bedfellows (anytime, anywhere, any club).
What would be gained by broadcasting any problems they might be experiencing?

The problem is ,like I have said before the standard to compare them with is that low ; Fenty and the vast majority of other club owners are so bad it's pretty easy to say they are good - us knowing they won't put the club in any sort of turmoil is certainly mind easing - I'm more interested where they see us going/want to take us . Why has the plan changed from 10 years to 5 is another interesting question for the panel .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 81
diehardmariner
November 21, 2023, 10:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 539
I think it's probably important, if we're going back to the article, to reference the fact that Stockwood will have a word limit for each article and it won't be a huge limit either.  

Probably very difficult to really pay tribute, which is what I think most of us think Hurst deserves, in such a short article on top of giving that behind the scenes insight that the Guardian editorial will mandate from Stockwood's pieces.  

Personally, I'm a bit done with the articles in the Guardian.  We get enough insight from Stockwood via his interviews with Humberside, fans forums, occasional podcast episodes etc.  This just feels a bit more of a watered down version of the greater detail we get, which is exactly what it is.

Non-GTFC fans probably don't care about Stockwood saying thanks to Hurst, that's what the official statements etc. are for and really it's more for 'us' as GTFC fans than everyone else.  

As much as my interest in these little articles has gone, there's still huge value in them.  Is Stockwood strengthening his media position?  Probably, who knows...  But is he putting further eyes on our club?  Again, probably.  That can only be a good thing. It's certainly not comparable in numbers but Wrexham have attracted literally hundreds of thousands of extra 'fans', if not millions based on a TV show.  We're not going to be seeing that level of increased interest, but exposure is always good.    
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 81
Mariner_09
November 21, 2023, 11:10am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Reality is, they can talk about data and progress and all that corporate jargon as much as they like, but this is the first proper decision they've actually had to make.

They inherited Hurst, and even if they had input in the decision, it was such an obvious appointment, I don't think you can give them much credit or indeed blame had it gone wrong.

If they get this one wrong, fans will start to turn.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 81
November 21, 2023, 11:23am
Guest User
Quoted from Mappers

The problem is ,like I have said before the standard to compare them with is that low ; Fenty and the vast majority of other club owners are so bad it's pretty easy to say they are good - us knowing they won't put the club in any sort of turmoil is certainly mind easing - I'm more interested where they see us going/want to take us . Why has the plan changed from 10 years to 5 is another interesting question for the panel .

Maybe it's like a football match - you set out your plan for the first-half. If it ain't working as you'd hoped, you change things at half-time
whilst consuming oranges. (I guess they don't do the oranges these days...   )

More seriously, how on earth could anyone offer a watertight plan for the next ten years given how much football has changed, and is changing?

I suspect the impact of VAR and the boom in women's football wouldn't have been foreseeable 10 years ago.

Who knows what the new Independent Regulator will do, and what impact that will have on the game?

What will be the impact of Manchester City being demoted to League 2 due to 'financial irregularities'? (Er...only possibly on that)

Any 10 year plan will need to be flexible, and perhaps binned entirely if the game changes fundamentally.

So I'm not too fussed about what the 10 year plan is, and if they want to do it in two halves that makes more sense to me given the above.

UTM
Reply: 50 - 81
November 21, 2023, 11:30am
Guest User
Quoted from Mariner_09
Reality is, they can talk about data and progress and all that corporate jargon as much as they like, but this is the first proper decision they've actually had to make.

They inherited Hurst, and even if they had input in the decision, it was such an obvious appointment, I don't think you can give them much credit or indeed blame had it gone wrong.

They're doing the best they can. What more do you want?
Reply: 51 - 81
lew chaterleys lover
November 21, 2023, 11:36am
Vodka Drinker
I suppose most fans will want to see results on and off the field in a reasonable time frame.

This board have a vision and a new way of doing things which is great, but people will only continue to be enthused by a combination of some prospects of success on the field and some definite plans for the infrastructure of the club.

The new management set up will hopefully give us renewed hope on the playing front, but all the clubs who are making, or have improved their standing in the game from a low base have had really substantial investment. It is just a fact of modern football life.

This is the part that worries me most. We really must have investment into the club before any fanciful notion of doing a Brentford or Brighton can even get out of the starting blocks.

They have made a solid start and I really appreciate the ethos that is behind their vision, but can it provide tangible results?
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 81
Mappers
November 21, 2023, 11:58am
Champagne Drinker
I suppose most fans will want to see results on and off the field in a reasonable time frame.

This board have a vision and a new way of doing things which is great, but people will only continue to be enthused by a combination of some prospects of success on the field and some definite plans for the infrastructure of the club.

The new management set up will hopefully give us renewed hope on the playing front, but all the clubs who are making, or have improved their standing in the game from a low base have had really substantial investment. It is just a fact of modern football life.

This is the part that worries me most. We really must have investment into the club before any fanciful notion of doing a Brentford or Brighton can even get out of the starting blocks.

They have made a solid start and I really appreciate the ethos that is behind their vision, but can it provide tangible results?

To even get mid to higher end league 1 we would need a decent level of investment you would suspect .

I am highly encouraged with the longer term vision for the younger players - giving Gardner,Conteh and Khouri 3 year contracts shows intent that we are giving them a chance to flourish ; you would hope at least one of those 3 will leave for a substantial fee creating some decent income .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 81
Rodley Mariner
November 21, 2023, 1:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177

What sort of tangible on field stuff are you hoping for? Promotions? FA Cup Quarter Finals? Highest league finishes in 17 years? Stuff like that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 81
lew chaterleys lover
November 21, 2023, 1:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

What sort of tangible on field stuff are you hoping for? Promotions? FA Cup Quarter Finals? Highest league finishes in 17 years? Stuff like that?

That was great but we are now in exactly the same position as when they took over - at the bottom end of League 2.

Looking back isn't really an option.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 81
Rodley Mariner
November 21, 2023, 2:03pm
Special Brew Drinker

That was great but we are now in exactly the same position as when they took over - at the bottom end of League 2.

Looking back isn't really an option.

So all you expect is continuous, uninterrupted progression and improvement? They've sacked PH and Doig which is fairly clear evidence that they weren't happy but if your expectation is for there never to be a bump and it just be continual linear improvement that that's ridiculous.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 81
chaos33
November 21, 2023, 2:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Haven’t missed the point at all. Just slightly bemused by the perception that everything is going perfectly, when in reality it’s not.

You’re now joining that group who can only apparently deal with a binary or overstated assessment. Who is saying things are ‘going perfectly’? I don’t recall seeing anyone post that. At the other end are those wanting to smash the owners for either communicating too much or being silent. ‘Waffling, ‘crying’ and ‘pandering to luvvies’ are other dopey notions being shared. Somewhere In the middle are surely those of us who would say:

The last two league results have been better, with much better in-game management,  but horrible defensive performances are still the order of the day. We’d all like to see the management situation resolved either way, with a strong and thoroughly researched appointment. We’re all rightly saying that the league position is way below par. We’d all like to see new facilities moving forward and an improvement in results. There’s too much overstatement at both ends of the scale

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 81
Mariner_09
November 21, 2023, 2:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192

And who else achieved all of that?

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 81
Rodley Mariner
November 21, 2023, 2:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09

And who else achieved all of that?

I presume you mean Hurst but I'm not sure what point you're making?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 81
lew chaterleys lover
November 21, 2023, 2:56pm
Vodka Drinker

So all you expect is continuous, uninterrupted progression and improvement? They've sacked PH and Doig which is fairly clear evidence that they weren't happy but if your expectation is for there never to be a bump and it just be continual linear improvement that that's ridiculous.  

Yes it would be ridiculous but it is also tiresome that some posters highlight a sentence or two of a post and act as if that was the main thrust of what was said; my post outlined one or two things I am concerned about but if you don't agree then fine. The sentence you highlighted was self explanatory when you read the full post, ie their vision is great but can it provide the results we all want without substantial investment?

Private Message
Reply: 60 - 81
lew chaterleys lover
November 21, 2023, 2:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

To even get mid to higher end league 1 we would need a decent level of investment you would suspect .

I am highly encouraged with the longer term vision for the younger players - giving Gardner,Conteh and Khouri 3 year contracts shows intent that we are giving them a chance to flourish ; you would hope at least one of those 3 will leave for a substantial fee creating some decent income .

Good point. Perhaps they are confident this route (selling on players) will give us the investment needed. Here's hoping.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 81
MuddyWaters
November 21, 2023, 3:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

You’re now joining that group who can only apparently deal with a binary or overstated assessment. Who is saying things are ‘going perfectly’? I don’t recall seeing anyone post that. At the other end are those wanting to smash the owners for either communicating too much or being silent. ‘Waffling, ‘crying’ and ‘pandering to luvvies’ are other dopey notions being shared. Somewhere In the middle are surely those of us who would say:

The last two league results have been better, with much better in-game management,  but horrible defensive performances are still the order of the day. We’d all like to see the management situation resolved either way, with a strong and thoroughly researched appointment. We’re all rightly saying that the league position is way below par. We’d all like to see new facilities moving forward and an improvement in results. There’s too much overstatement at both ends of the scale

That's exactly my point. Nothing's perfect, never will be. Jason and Andrew have improved a lot of things in a very short space of time, very likely that they've spent on things that they hadn't even been aware of. It's very clear that they were as concerned about results as most of us were and, in their own timeframe, decided that it was time to act.

I'm sure too that they understand, as fans, how frustrating football is. Even if you make the best plans and investment, there is no guarantee of success, just a better chance of success in the future. That's what clearly sets them apart from the previous custodian.
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 81
LocalLadGTFC
November 21, 2023, 4:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,219
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Mappers

So lets not compare them to ours, lets compare them to majority of the other clubs in L2. Who's ownership model are you so obviously in love with that you want us to follow? The likes of Stockport, Mansfield, Notts County, Salford, Wrexham? The not self sustainable clubs that are spunking endless money trying to guarantee instant success and that will only ever get you so far and then you hit a roadblock and end up free falling once again. Look at the state of some of the clubs that have perished and some of the clubs on the brink of perishing due to the owners upping and leaving, Jesus christ you only have to take a look at down the road and see what on earth we could of been. That's what these clubs are flirting with.

Then you have the likes of Sutton, Bradford, Newport, Harrogate, MK Dons, Crawley and Swindon who are all in ownership turmoil. None of them are happy with the state of the way things are run at there clubs. You only have to look at the recent outcomings of the deals between Chelsea and Swindon to see how some of these clubs operate. We are bloody lucky to be owned by fans of the clubs that want to be self suffiecent in the eventuality of them leaving the club that we don't fall into obscurity, they're open about the fact they won't be here forever. They're approachable businessman that are doing good by our football club and we are in very good hands and I think a lot of people take that for granted just because there's no leaks coming out about who the next manager is it instantly means we obviously aren't actively in recruitment. Or the fact that there's no constant updates behind the scenes regarding any of the business ongoings that are happening within the football club. I'd much rather be updated when there's an actual update then be on false promises of a new stadium. They aren't responsible for on the field affairs, they can only provide the manager with the tools to do his job and as we heard from Hurst, he had a good budget and was always very complimentary about the way they let him run things and the new manager will get the exact same thing.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 63 - 81
mariner91
November 21, 2023, 5:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,652
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Mariner_09

Don't be daft. The fans won't turn so soon. We put up with Fenty for almost 20 years despite multiple relegations, virtually no success, endless media embarrassments and a whole host of shite managerial appointments. If the fans did turn on the back of one bad managerial appointment despite generally seeing some improvements across the club then shame on them.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 81
Mappers
November 21, 2023, 8:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

So lets not compare them to ours, lets compare them to majority of the other clubs in L2. Who's ownership model are you so obviously in love with that you want us to follow? The likes of Stockport, Mansfield, Notts County, Salford, Wrexham? The not self sustainable clubs that are spunking endless money trying to guarantee instant success and that will only ever get you so far and then you hit a roadblock and end up free falling once again. Look at the state of some of the clubs that have perished and some of the clubs on the brink of perishing due to the owners upping and leaving, Jesus christ you only have to take a look at down the road and see what on earth we could of been. That's what these clubs are flirting with.

Then you have the likes of Sutton, Bradford, Newport, Harrogate, MK Dons, Crawley and Swindon who are all in ownership turmoil. None of them are happy with the state of the way things are run at there clubs. You only have to look at the recent outcomings of the deals between Chelsea and Swindon to see how some of these clubs operate. We are bloody lucky to be owned by fans of the clubs that want to be self suffiecent in the eventuality of them leaving the club that we don't fall into obscurity, they're open about the fact they won't be here forever. They're approachable businessman that are doing good by our football club and we are in very good hands and I think a lot of people take that for granted just because there's no leaks coming out about who the next manager is it instantly means we obviously aren't actively in recruitment. Or the fact that there's no constant updates behind the scenes regarding any of the business ongoings that are happening within the football club. I'd much rather be updated when there's an actual update then be on false promises of a new stadium. They aren't responsible for on the field affairs, they can only provide the manager with the tools to do his job and as we heard from Hurst, he had a good budget and was always very complimentary about the way they let him run things and the new manager will get the exact same thing.  

Personally I would just like them to keep going as they are and gradually improve off the field(whether that's an improved BP or  training ground) so they can leave something tangible when they do call it a day , without doing what your primary examples are it seems very difficult now to even get out of league 2 and maintain without it ; you need serious dosh and my own ambitions of off the field improvement but maybe still being a league 2 club in 5 or 10 years time might not be what a lot of others are hoping for.

It seems like we are looking to turnover talented young players which as i mentioned looks a good move maybe it's like a Peterborough lite of what they used to do time will tell .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 81
LocalLadGTFC
November 21, 2023, 9:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

Personally I would just like them to keep going as they are and gradually improve off the field(whether that's an improved BP or  training ground) so they can leave something tangible when they do call it a day , without doing what your primary examples are it seems very difficult now to even get out of league 2 and maintain without it ; you need serious dosh and my own ambitions of off the field improvement but maybe still being a league 2 club in 5 or 10 years time might not be what a lot of others are hoping for.

It seems like we are looking to turnover talented young players which as i mentioned looks a good move maybe it's like a Peterborough lite of what they used to do time will tell .

Totally agree mate, you need a good business model but like all things in life you need an element of luck. I'm hoping the newly passed football regulator means that we somewhat return to normality at the lower levels and teams are spending within there means. Going back to my point of luck, I think we've used all ours over the past two years as our council seems more intent on throwing up a new cinema in the town centre as a hub for the youths of tomorrow to gather that absolotely nobody asked for rather than supporting the towns football club. We already have a cinema in the area that whenever i've attended you aren't exactly rushing to get a seat. Take a trip down to Bradley FDC and you see a hub of operations that kids and adults alike are gathered every single night and it's very rare there's ever a pitch unused. Down the road at the college everyday from the hours of 5-9 the astro and sports hall is packed in operation again of kids and adults, men and women alike playing Football, Hockey, Netball, Badminton etc. I think we are excrement out of luck of living in a Town of councillors that are anonymous and are benign to getting out and seeing what the Town is actually like. Youths on the streets with nowhere to go, smashing up police cars and shops because they live in a town where really all you can do is roam the streets. My mum, and dad who unfortunately passed away on Saturday had run the Nunsthorpe Funhouse a few years back now and since that closed there's absolotely nothing to do for the kids anywhere. Scartho Baths closed down and the land has been abandoned every since. The Funhouse closed down, facilities are either to expensive or rundown to a state of not being used. A Training Ground for Grimsby Town football club in the day that could quite easily be transformed into a multi use sports and leisure facility by afternoon and night is something this Town could do with but instead we have a Cinema being built into the Town Centre when the one we already have doesn't get used...
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 66 - 81
davmariner
November 22, 2023, 12:28am
Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,935
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Totally agree mate, you need a good business model but like all things in life you need an element of luck. I'm hoping the newly passed football regulator means that we somewhat return to normality at the lower levels and teams are spending within there means. Going back to my point of luck, I think we've used all ours over the past two years as our council seems more intent on throwing up a new cinema in the town centre as a hub for the youths of tomorrow to gather that absolotely nobody asked for rather than supporting the towns football club. We already have a cinema in the area that whenever i've attended you aren't exactly rushing to get a seat. Take a trip down to Bradley FDC and you see a hub of operations that kids and adults alike are gathered every single night and it's very rare there's ever a pitch unused. Down the road at the college everyday from the hours of 5-9 the astro and sports hall is packed in operation again of kids and adults, men and women alike playing Football, Hockey, Netball, Badminton etc. I think we are excrement out of luck of living in a Town of councillors that are anonymous and are benign to getting out and seeing what the Town is actually like. Youths on the streets with nowhere to go, smashing up police cars and shops because they live in a town where really all you can do is roam the streets. My mum, and dad who unfortunately passed away on Saturday had run the Nunsthorpe Funhouse a few years back now and since that closed there's absolotely nothing to do for the kids anywhere. Scartho Baths closed down and the land has been abandoned every since. The Funhouse closed down, facilities are either to expensive or rundown to a state of not being used. A Training Ground for Grimsby Town football club in the day that could quite easily be transformed into a multi use sports and leisure facility by afternoon and night is something this Town could do with but instead we have a Cinema being built into the Town Centre when the one we already have doesn't get used...

Good post there and sorry to hear of your bereavement. UTM.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 81
Yarborough Vaults
November 22, 2023, 7:13am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
I've never got the 'kids have got nothing to do' argument. It's not as though they've read every book in the library.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 81
toontown
November 22, 2023, 7:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Sympathies for your bereavement.

I totally agree with the cinema thing and lots of the other stuff you've said.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 81
Mappers
November 22, 2023, 8:37am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Good post .

I hope the football regulator does bring change .

I remember on The Price Of Football podcast them talking about the best run clubs in league 2 in terms of sustainability and financially the three teams they highlighted were us , Tranmere and Sutton Utd as the 3 best - look at our league positions ; that's the worry for me these sort of clubs will 'do it correctly' and potentially at a handicap if others just pony up the money on even more inflated wages and players it will have to be really efficiently managed as to where the extra money actually goes .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 81
November 22, 2023, 9:55am
Guest User
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults
I've never got the 'kids have got nothing to do' argument. It's not as though they've read every book in the library.

Agreed, when I was a kid we made our own 'things to do'.  Marbles, cigarette packets, conkers, etc.  In teenage years, meeting up in the park and playing football/cricket sometimes even an attempt at rugby.  There is always plenty to do if they just open their eyes.
Reply: 71 - 81
Croxton
November 22, 2023, 10:16am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from 123614

Agreed, when I was a kid we made our own 'things to do'.  Marbles, cigarette packets, conkers, etc.  In teenage years, meeting up in the park and playing football/cricket sometimes even an attempt at rugby.  There is always plenty to do if they just open their eyes.

That was luxury!  A park? All we had at Croxton was climbing trees, making trollies from pram wheels and putting pennies on the railway line.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 81
ska face
November 22, 2023, 10:28am

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from 123614

The stuff you old codgers got up to your youth would put kids on the front page of local papers nowadays. We have a country built in the image of curtain-twitching homeowners and neighbourhood watch vigilantes. At the top, the idea that kids (or anyone) might engage in something without making a profit for someone else is verboten - you can’t kick a ball around the streets anymore in case you get mud on some tart’s Range Rover, you need to go down to Goals and book a pitch.

A gang of teenagers in a park now, if you can even find one, would have the local busybodies calling the police. There’s no wonder kids prefer to stop at home.
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 81
IlkleyMariner
November 22, 2023, 10:47am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Croxton

That was luxury!  A park? All we had at Croxton was climbing trees, making trollies from pram wheels and putting pennies on the railway line.

There used to be a house in the centre of Croxton with a tree in the garden trimmed to look like a peacock. Is it still there?

I agree there can’t have been a lot to do in Croxton, although the Marrow Bone and Cleaver used to be a good pub in the 1960s
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 81
mariner91
November 22, 2023, 10:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,652
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Sorry to hear about your dad, my condolences to you and your family.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 81
LocalLadGTFC
November 22, 2023, 1:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Thankyou for the kind words everyone. Only to echo the words of Ska, the times have moved on and this generation are merely glued to the internet. I think I was in the last generation of kids that would go out in the street and play kickball rounders or go with your mates and chuck a couple of jumpers down after school and play football till it got dark or the person who balls it was had enough. It's truly a shame because it made me enjoy my childhood 10 fold and i'd much rather that then what my son is growing up in, Sport provides inclusivity and togetherness aswell as teaching kids discipline from an early age. There's not enough to do in Grimsby for the kids that are less fortunate, the council doesn't seem to be interested in anything other than how much they can pocket for themselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 76 - 81
Croxton
November 22, 2023, 11:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

There used to be a house in the centre of Croxton with a tree in the garden trimmed to look like a peacock. Is it still there?

I agree there can’t have been a lot to do in Croxton, although the Marrow Bone and Cleaver used to be a good pub in the 1960s

That was our house! Dad was known for his gardening prowess. Only a farm labourer's tied cottage but a massive vegetable patch which he ploughed each  year. No money but we were well fed. Sherry trifle was the nearest we got to alcohol. Dad was also a Church organist and I was forced to be a choirboy as well as go to Sunday School.

Dad moved to work at a Habrough farm when I was ten and I got to experience the 'good life' of downtown Immingham which did have a park where kids could play etc. They also had girls there too.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 81
Shipwrecked In Gainsborough
November 22, 2023, 11:34pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +248
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Croxton

That was our house! Dad was known for his gardening prowess. Only a farm labourer's tied cottage but a massive vegetable patch which he ploughed each  year. No money but we were well fed. Sherry trifle was the nearest we got to alcohol. Dad was also a Church organist and I was forced to be a choirboy as well as go to Sunday School.

Dad moved to work at a Habrough farm when I was ten and I got to experience the 'good life' of downtown Immingham which did have a park where kids could play etc. They also had girls there too.

My experience of girls from Immingham was that they were pretty scary!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 81
Northbank Mariner
November 23, 2023, 7:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,465
Gold Stars: 171

My experience of girls from Immingham was that they were pretty scary!!

Tell ya what, at 14 I went in a boy, cane out a man...the girls grim Immingham had a tag line " intercourse me,or fight me", let's just say i never got punched.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 81
grimps
November 23, 2023, 8:27am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from 123614

The problem is that these days school fields are fenced off and locked and local parks don't allow ball games etc.
Most sport these days at junior level is supervised and costs money to participate in.

We used to play football and tennis on our school fields and tennis courts until it got dark, depending on how many kids turned up or who had a ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 81
Croxton
November 23, 2023, 9:11am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from grimps

The problem is that these days school fields are fenced off and locked and local parks don't allow ball games etc.
Most sport these days at junior level is supervised and costs money to participate in.

We used to play football and tennis on our school fields and tennis courts until it got dark, depending on how many kids turned up or who had a ball.

Ska and yourself reference societal changes which make growing up and access to facilities much harder without cash. Add in the minefield of legislation around safety, DBS checks plus transport costs and you can see barriers for many in some communities.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 81
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason Stockwood article in todays guardian - worth

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.