Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason Stockwood article in todays guardian - worth
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Jason Stockwood article in todays guardian - worth

This thread currently has 7,662 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
November 20, 2023, 5:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Azimuth

Waffle.
When all said and done Hurst had failed this season, end of story and no explanation needed.

You only deal in simple,  binary concepts though mate don’t you.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 81
Roast Em Bobby
November 20, 2023, 5:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,721
Gold Stars: 44
The thing that stood out to me was that the article says we are working on a 5 year plan, when I thought it was previously said (multiple times) it was a 10 year plan they were working on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 81
GibMariner
November 20, 2023, 5:47pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
Was there a little dig at the fans again🤔

Do they really think talking all this data bxxxolox impresses and particularly when it’s not going well on the field.

Anyway how much longer are they going to swerve making a simple decision (nothing useful e said on that). Stick or twist and forget all this pretext of we’re bucking the trend because we’ve reinvented due process in football.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 81
chaos33
November 20, 2023, 5:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from GibMariner

Do they really think talking all this data bxxxolox impresses and particularly when it’s not going well on the field.

Anyway how much longer are they going to swerve making a simple decision (nothing useful e said on that). Stick or twist and forget all this pretext of we’re bucking the trend because we’ve reinvented due process in football.

Not going well on the field? Somebody said we’re showing ‘promotion form’ yesterday.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 81
forza ivano
November 20, 2023, 5:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,208
Gold Stars: 265

sodomist! I've amended it now! The term is member up by the way.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 81
jamesgtfc
November 20, 2023, 5:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,974
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from GibMariner

If appointing our new Head Coach is a simple decision, who you going for Gib?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 81
male private Nale
November 20, 2023, 6:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
He loves courting favour of the Guardian luvvies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 81
ancientmariner54
November 20, 2023, 6:25pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -186
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from heppy88
I know this won't be popular, but I have to get this off my chest.

As per most of his Guardian articles, he uses a scatter gun approach, discussing little bits of this (data in football) and that (sacking a manager) and trying to weave a thread through it all. But, by the end of it you are left asking that was the point of that? In what is a short piece he manages to belittle a manager, who has had such a positive influence on the club, during his two tenures and had two digs at the fans.

Don't get me wrong, it was time for Hurst to leave (and I believe Hurst himself knew that), but I do not believe its right that Stockwood uses this for his media project. A photograph of a dejected Hurst heads the article, which in a round about way discusses the time before his sacking. I quote:

"Most fans don’t show anywhere near enough compassion or empathy when shouting for managers to lose their jobs. Most seem oblivious to the fact that it is someone’s livelihood and vocation that is being challenged, that someone has to go home to tell their children they have lost their job on the day it happens."

I agree Jason, some of us don't perhaps consider the personal effects of our comments on the manager/player. But where is the compassion and empathy when you decided to use his sacking for your benefit? When Hurst and his family can pick up a national newspaper and see what can only be described as a major low point in someones life being used in this way? But the above quote and the one which now follows demonstrates a worrying trend that Stockwood has at criticising the fans:

"It was important that we had acted in good faith and not reacted to the first bad game, as some fans wrongly assumed, but kept our nerve and executed against an agreed plan.

If you can get past the arrogance of that statement, correct me if i'm wrong, do any of us genuinely know of any fan calling for Hursts sacking after this rather ambiguous "first bad game"?  How many fans do you know call for the head of a manager after an initial bad game? Very few, if any at all.

Back in June he randomly posted a tweet calling fans trolls if they were to negatively comment on two back to back losses. Bizarrely, this off the cuff and totally unprovoked remark was in response to a celebratory tweet made by the club relating to high season ticket sales. Some of the more level headed tweeters criticised his remarks and I would argue that the tweet and his comments in the Guardian reveal his inability to accept that the fans have their own opinions and may want to express those opinions. It's funny that the comments section to his article today have been turned off!!

I agree your statement is not popular

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 81
ancientmariner54
November 20, 2023, 6:33pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -186
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from GibMariner

Not going well on the field ? Do you actually go to the games or are you sat at home studying the league position. If you don't think things have improved over the last four matches you must be watching a different game to me .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 81
sam gy
November 20, 2023, 7:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Azimuth

Waffle.
When all said and done Hurst had failed this season, end of story and no explanation needed.

It’s not an official club statement, it’s an article on a national newspapers website giving a bit of a behind the curtain (if you will) insight in to what it’s like when you own a football club and have to sack a manager. People find this stuff interesting/insightful, if you don’t, fair enough..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason Stockwood article in todays guardian - worth

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.