8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
October 24, 2023, 11:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Tweet 1716933349355463031 will appear here...

He knows thats it. Sounds a broken man
Logged Offline
Private Message
davmariner
October 24, 2023, 11:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
I don’t think he sounds like a broken man at all. Very frustrated and clearly raw, but relaxed about the situation. He’ll have plenty of money and will get another job in football no doubt whenever he does go.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 71
Hagrid
October 24, 2023, 11:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Maybe Broken not the right word, but i didnt find it a nice listen
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 71
headingly_mariner
October 24, 2023, 11:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,378
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Hagrid

I think it's clear he cares and wants it to go well. I always think he's very honest.

He's basically told the owners he'd understand if they sacked him and was quite gracious about it.
I hope they back him and he turns it right around.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 71
MuddyWaters
October 24, 2023, 11:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Hagrid

He sounded relaxed about it because either he’ll stay in a well paid job or get a decent pay off if released.

He might well have earned it, that’s the bit that’s open to interpretation.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 71
Morph2000
October 24, 2023, 11:17pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +48
Gold Stars: 2
His words they had 3 shots on target and score 3 goals!!!

What’s that tell you Paul??? It’s been same last few weeks our keeper doesn’t deserve to start.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 71
TAGG
October 24, 2023, 11:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,959
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I think it's clear he cares and wants it to go well. I always think he's very honest.

He's basically told the owners he'd understand if they sacked him and was quite gracious about it.
I hope they back him and he turns it right around.

FFS

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 71
Maringer
October 24, 2023, 11:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,537
Gold Stars: 185
He certainly believes what he's saying and there is certainly some truth in some of his arguments. Sounds frustrated more than upset which is what he obviously believes.

However, with a better goalkeeper, we'd probably be mid-table. With better full-backs, we'd probably be mid-table. With a different option to bring on up front, we'd probably be mid-table. It's not just a combination of misfortune with a run of things going against us, including bad luck and individual errors, there's a problem with the balance of the squad as well.

As I said in the other thread, I reckon he's got a bit more in the bank with Stockwood & Co, but his balance is certainly running out quickly and things need to improve by hook or by crook very soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 71
Maringer
October 24, 2023, 11:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

FFS

Very helpful of you. Well done.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 71
TAGG
October 24, 2023, 11:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,959
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Maringer

Very helpful of you. Well done.

FFS

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 71
Tommy
October 24, 2023, 11:23pm
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Good, and incredibly honest interview that.

A couple of things stand out from that for me:

1) Paul Hurst is a f@cking good guy.

2) PH said something along the lines of "this team is better than the amount of points its amassed." That is ultimately the bottom line I'm afraid. A manager not getting the best out of the squad ultimately means it is time for a change. And I'll take no pleasure in that because of what I've said in point 1 above.

Very interesting and almost unusual last couple of minutes of the interview.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 71
GollyGTFC
October 24, 2023, 11:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,963
Gold Stars: 356
19 goals conceded in last 8 league matches with just 4 league points from those games. Not sure you can explain that away as just bad luck.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 71
DB
October 24, 2023, 11:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
That interview has not instilled any confidence in me that he can turn it around. He mentioned percentages and it will turn in our favour. As mentioned above his attitude to the owners is sack me if you want.

Also, there was not a bit of enthusiasm in his voice and his words were merely 'We'll plod on and it'll come right.'
To sum up, his words were that they were lucky with their goal ( or words to that effect ). He maintained that we were good and did not seem to want to make any criticism of the shambolic defence which has been poor week in and week out, while he talked of being honest.

Thank you Paul but you have to go.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 71
GollyGTFC
October 24, 2023, 11:29pm

Whiskey Drinker
Sounded like a man resigned to his fate.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 71
Davec
October 24, 2023, 11:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 42
A bizarre end to the interview and it almost seemed as so he knew that his time is up.

I take no pleasure in saying I hope it is, it's not working and it's best for him and us that he's relieved of his duties
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 71
lew chaterleys lover
October 24, 2023, 11:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
That is a very hard listen  and I really feel for him. He sounds like he has done what he always has done and can't quite fathom why it has gone pear shaped, so blames it on bad luck.

He is almost asking to be releived of his duties at the end.

I bet the owners call his bluff though and give him another two or three games to see if the tide turns.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 71
toontown
October 24, 2023, 11:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
I really like Paul Hurst, so different to the usual bullshit style of manager, very open interview.

I would say I agree with him about this squad being worth more points than it's got, but that's not an observation that does him any favours at the moment.

The barely concealed apportion of blame at the goal keepers feet for, in his words "almost every shot against us goes in" is not an observation that does him any favours either. He was the one that offered max a 1 year deal and offered Eastwood a 2 year deal that meant we ended up with the latter. This combined with having an even worse keeper in Cartwright as backup leaving our hands tied to have to continue playing Eastwood is a massive millstone around our neck . Whose decision was it to bring Cartwright in? Two truly awful decisions there.

Really annoying cos he's such a hardworking, genuine and honest guy but hes properly flipping up/copulated up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 71
immariner
October 24, 2023, 11:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61
He's not wrong though, we have been in every game, bar a couple, and should've amassed far more points than we have based on performances and chances created. We deserved a point against the league leaders on Saturday and we deserved at least a point against 2nd from bottom tonight. We obviously ended up with neither and it's obvious we do currently have a weak underbelly, but we have also had more than our fair share of bad luck, the third tonight being a prime example. We need to somehow scrape a win to give everyone a lift and there's no reason we can't do that Saturday. We need to show up Saturday in numbers and get right behind them. I know we always do but like PROPER behind them. We can get out of this
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 71
Stew0_0
October 24, 2023, 11:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,200
Gold Stars: 35
I have to agree with Paul tbh. We've been in all the games we've played this season with maybe the exception of Wrexham away. This division is ruthless or seemingly seems that way towards us ATM. 3 shots on goal and all go in on their part. We have several opportunities, hit the post, keeper saves several and near misses, strange ref decisions going against us all night.

Having come home, taking the anger and frustration away I can see the bad luck but can't believe some of the bad defending and in particular goalkeeping but can't put this all on Hurst and the players need to step up. Yes I want improvement but think Hurst needs a little longer to turn this around, especially with the run of games we have now, starting Saturday.

One thing he needs to do though is get home himself a settled team, get them in form and fighting for each other. That's the way to end the bad run .

Oh and I've ripped up my betting form to say town finishing in the playoffs. When it comes to betting on town I seem to be the biggest jinx. Sorry guys. During the season we miraculously stayed up during Jolleys reign I bet on town to lose every game during last 2 months of the season. Job done
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 71
AncientExiledMariner
October 24, 2023, 11:43pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Morph2000
His words they had 3 shots on target and score 3 goals!!!

What’s that tell you Paul??? It’s been same last few weeks our keeper doesn’t deserve to start.

He probably knows the guy isn't in form right now and doesn't want to knock his confidence. He might not be getting the right feedback or response from Cartwright and may be doubting it'll change much. He probably thinks it's more likely Eastwood will come through it than Cartwright stepping up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 71
Mappers
October 24, 2023, 11:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,326
Gold Stars: 118
That is a very hard listen  and I really feel for him. He sounds like he has done what he always has done and can't quite fathom why it has gone pear shaped, so blames it on bad luck.

He is almost asking to be releived of his duties at the end.

I bet the owners call his bluff though and give him another two or three games to see if the tide turns.

I read it as they don't want to sack him

But he thinks they probably should

Maybe I'm way off
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 71
mariner91
October 24, 2023, 11:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,656
Gold Stars: 262
You’re only as good as your worst player and when both your keepers are shite, then you’re in trouble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 71
davmariner
October 24, 2023, 11:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mariner91
You’re only as good as your worst player and when both your keepers are shite, then you’re in trouble.

To be fair, Cartwright has only ever played in cobbled together cup teams with a makeshift back line in front of him. Granted, he’s dropped some clangers in those matches, and he may turn out to be shite, but I’m not sure I’m ready to write him off just yet.

Eastwood on the other hand, doesn’t inspire confidence, struggles to catch, and makes bad decisions. It’s clear that he’s a downgrade.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 71
lew chaterleys lover
October 25, 2023, 12:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from mariner91

Of all the unfathomable things that have happened, this is the one I can't get my head around.

He has managed Eastwood before for goodness sake. Such an important, pivotal position in the team which is the cornerstone of a good defence.

Cartwright isn't ready for league football. How could we get 2 signings so wrong, when we had a bit of money, we had the exposure of the Cup run and was in a really good place?
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 71
AncientExiledMariner
October 25, 2023, 12:10am
Snakebite drinker

Of all the unfathomable things that have happened, this is the one I can't get my head around.

He has managed Eastwood before for goodness sake. Such an important, pivotal position in the team which is the cornerstone of a good defence.

Cartwright isn't ready for league football. How could we get 2 signings so wrong, when we had a bit of money, we had the exposure of the Cup run and was in a really good place?

I think it's likely these are the best available realistic options, budget and expectation wise.

I think if you asked Paul off record, he'd probably concede it wasn't the right choice. Unless it turns around come January, I'd expect movement here personally.

Whoever is in charge has this squad until January.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 71
Limerick Mariner
October 25, 2023, 12:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,697
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Mappers

I read it as they don't want to sack him

But he thinks they probably should

Maybe I'm way off

Maybe because unlike other owners - foreign owners with plenty of cash, or other more egotistical type owners that hire and fire on a whim, JS and AP will need to think carefully about how a decision to change managers now will result in improvement. They will be acutely aware of the track record of GTFC in chopping and changing managers - it’s been mostly disastrous. They will want to have a plan, maybe they have one, or maybe a slump like this has really caught them out.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 71
mariner91
October 25, 2023, 12:27am
Barley Wine Drinker

I think it's likely these are the best available realistic options, budget and expectation wise.

I think if you asked Paul off record, he'd probably concede it wasn't the right choice. Unless it turns around come January, I'd expect movement here personally.

Whoever is in charge has this squad until January.

How can that possibly be true? For starters, we had a goalkeeper who was perfectly capable despite having had a bit of a dip in form. For some reason Hurst decided Crocombe was only worth a year contract whilst Eastwood deserved two. What a catastrophic decision that has turned out to be.

If our budget could only realistically manage to get a 21 year old who’s barely played men’s football and a keeper who’s just been relegated out of L2 and was widely described as crap by that team’s fans then we’re in serious trouble. It’s far more likely that Hurst had a reasonable budget and has made a hash of this transfer window. It will likely and should cost him his job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 71
davmariner
October 25, 2023, 12:31am
Vodka Drinker
Anyone know what James McKeown is up to these days? **Ducks for cover**

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 71
Limerick Mariner
October 25, 2023, 12:31am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,697
Gold Stars: 136

Losing Crocombe and Smith and another year in the skippers legs meaning we don’t have his leadership on the pitch as much all look to be material - with hindsight mind. I was pleased with the quality of signings, although thought us a CB short.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 71
AncientExiledMariner
October 25, 2023, 12:38am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from mariner91

How can that possibly be true? For starters, we had a goalkeeper who was perfectly capable despite having had a bit of a dip in form. For some reason Hurst decided Crocombe was only worth a year contract whilst Eastwood deserved two. What a catastrophic decision that has turned out to be.

If our budget could only realistically manage to get a 21 year old who’s barely played men’s football and a keeper who’s just been relegated out of L2 and was widely described as crap by that team’s fans then we’re in serious trouble. It’s far more likely that Hurst had a reasonable budget and has made a hash of this transfer window. It will likely and should cost him his job.

Did Hurst actually only offer him 1?

I was under the impression he wanted assurances about being the number 1 and didn't sign by the date given. We don't know if he'd already been offered terms elsewhere and we may have had zero time to replace.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer Mr Crampy, but I don't know how realistic the possibility of him staying actually was.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 71
Yoda
October 25, 2023, 12:48am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
Hurst is toast and he knows it
Get a new manager in he has time to assess the squad bring in a couple in January
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 71
davmariner
October 25, 2023, 1:00am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Yoda
Hurst is toast and he knows it
Get a new manager in he has time to assess the squad bring in a couple in January

I always did prefer Darth Vader.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 71
louth_in_the_south
October 25, 2023, 1:12am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,691
Gold Stars: 96
That interview clearly shows why a change in management is quickly needed. Reverting to this negative, defensive approach has drained the confidence out the squad and led to this run of results. That’s going to cost him his job and he knows it .
If I was a player and heard that interview I’d be looking forward to a new man in charge.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 71
Wrights35
October 25, 2023, 6:30am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +1 / -3
Approval: +31
Gold Stars: 5
Drop that clown in goal and send him back to the circus asap

In Hurst we trust !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 71
DaleH
October 25, 2023, 7:25am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +816
Gold Stars: 168
A very honest interview, particularly when he references the conversations he had with the owners.

He’s a great guy, and that interview has made me even more determined to back him to find a way to get us out of this rut and horrible run of outcomes.

Come on Paul you can do this. Get these players up for it on Saturday at Doncaster.

Full time I was straight into the ticket office to get 3 tickets. I’m backing the manager and team 100% because that’s what we do.

I just know that Paul will find a way to put this right and start getting points on the board.

Time to resurrect my Fishy signature again. So here goes.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 71
ska face
October 25, 2023, 7:29am

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847

Think Hurst is guilty, at times, of reverting back to players he’s had before and seeing them only at their best. Eastwood’s a good example - played a handful of games for us and looked ok, similar to how he started the season, but that was getting on for 3 years back now when he was a promising youngster. Since then he’s not pushed on at Sheff Utd and had a nightmare season at Rochdale - potential is one thing at a championship club in your early 20s, but the bloke’s 27 now and clearly not up to it.

Same with the likes of Hunt, Pearson, LJL, Pyke and countless other players who he’s worked with before brought with him - seems a bit too hung up on past performances & maybe doesn’t look at the here & now.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 71
Mappers
October 25, 2023, 7:38am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,326
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from ska face

Think Hurst is guilty, at times, of reverting back to players he’s had before and seeing them only at their best. Eastwood’s a good example - played a handful of games for us and looked ok, similar to how he started the season, but that was getting on for 3 years back now when he was a promising youngster. Since then he’s not pushed on at Sheff Utd and had a nightmare season at Rochdale - potential is one thing at a championship club in your early 20s, but the bloke’s 27 now and clearly not up to it.

Same with the likes of Hunt, Pearson, LJL, Pyke and countless other players who he’s worked with before brought with him - seems a bit too hung up on past performances & maybe doesn’t look at the here & now.

Anyone who watched Eastwood's highlight reel from Rochdale would know what he's capable of in terms of errors - his confidence there sank and the errors became a more regular occurence .

I thought he started well and don't think he's a bad keeper , but if he 'goes' like he did at Rochdale we need to be getting a replacement in somehow . Him , Mullarkey and Rodgers are now unfortunately looking like players with recent relegations under their belts .

With Crocombe going  , at the time I thought a high calibre keeper was in the pipeline - unfortunately it's not been the case and it's left us tucked up until Xmas at least with 2 that look to have at least an error a game in them .

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 71
GollyGTFC
October 25, 2023, 7:40am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from DaleH
A very honest interview, particularly when he references the conversations he had with the owners.

He’s a great guy, and that interview has made me even more determined to back him to find a way to get us out of this rut and horrible run of outcomes.

Come on Paul you can do this. Get these players up for it on Saturday at Doncaster.

Full time I was straight into the ticket office to get 3 tickets. I’m backing the manager and team 100% because that’s what we do.

I just know that Paul will find a way to put this right and start getting points on the board.

You think he’ll still be in charge at Doncaster? I think him and deputy Doig will be gone by lunchtime.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 71
1mickylyons
October 25, 2023, 7:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from GollyGTFC

You think he’ll still be in charge at Doncaster? I think him and deputy Doig will be gone by lunchtime.

Hope you're right .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 71
chaos33
October 25, 2023, 7:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I think he’ll be charge for the Doncaster game.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 71
GollyGTFC
October 25, 2023, 7:56am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

His post match interview last night suggests he doesn’t believe he will be.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 40 - 71
Rick12
October 25, 2023, 8:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
On a deeper level if he does get sacked feel for him and his family. I know it's his choice to go into football but at this level where money isn't great long term means going out of rented accommodation in the Lincolnshire area  and back to his family and children. Looking for a new club brings its own pressures . Unlike players who have a limited shelf life at least  Hurst can get another job given time but it will mean new digs and possibly going to another part of the country and seeing family as and when which must be hard. The merry go round of football management.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 71
Hagrid
October 25, 2023, 8:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
On a deeper level if he does get sacked feel for him and his family. I know it's his choice to go into football but at this level where money isn't great long term means going out of rented accommodation in the Lincolnshire area  and back to his family and children. Looking for a new club brings its own pressures . Unlike players who have a limited shelf life at least  Hurst can get another job given time but it will mean new digs and possibly going to another part of the country and seeing family as and when which must be hard. The merry go round of football management.

He lives in Sheffield
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 71
MuddyWaters
October 25, 2023, 8:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rick12

He’s never moved to any of his jobs.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 71
Northbank Mariner
October 25, 2023, 8:08am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Rick12

Pal, not to be a pedant but he lives just outside Rotherham in his family home and commutes to Cheapside/BP.
Also, can't see him being short of a bob or 2, he'll have a good pay off by Ipswich, we've paid him relatively well and I suspect he's not a stupid, scatter cash kind of bloke and probably invested well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 71
GollyGTFC
October 25, 2023, 8:10am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

He lives in Sheffield

And Deputy Doig live in Nottingham.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 45 - 71
pontoonlew
October 25, 2023, 8:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,040
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from chaos33

If he is in charge at Doncaster my question to the owners would be, what exactly is the end game here?

Either you’re hanging a bloke out to dry because you haven’t got the bottle to sack him, or worse still, you genuinely think this is salvageable.

I love the owners, but if there’s no a club statement going out today then a huge slice of goodwill towards them will be lost IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 71
Rick12
October 25, 2023, 8:13am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

He lives in Sheffield
Thanks Hagrid. Not up to date with all things Grimsby as other things have taken priority. I do like watching Grimsby as and when I can given financial and time constraints due to job commitments but at the end of the day it's just people kicking a football about who won't put food on the table for our families.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 71
jimgtfc
October 25, 2023, 8:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Quoted from DaleH

Come on Dale, surely everyone can see a change is needed now, even Paul knows. We’ll all support them through thick and thin, but sense has to prevail at some point. It all seems inevitable now. Like yourself, I really like Paul, type of bloke I’d like to have a pint or two with. He’s given us some of the best times I’ve ever experienced as a town fan, up there with the birth of my kids (don’t tell her!), but I’m praying that we make that change now whilst most people still feel like that towards him, before it turns to anger, gets all ugly and nasty and tarnishes the good work he’s done.

But more than that, before it starts to harm our club. We’re spiralling towards the drain of a third relegation to non league in little over 10 years. He’s assembled this team, set them up to play a certain way, then ripped that plan up and reverted to an indescribable style of football that is failing. There’s several crimes on the recruitment front, the GK situation, the LB debacle, the lack of quality in CM, over 2 years without a proper number 9, and to top that off now he signed several new wingers in the summer only to play a formation that incorporates none of them in the last two games.

Times up mate, cheers Paul

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 71
Tommy
October 25, 2023, 8:18am
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from DaleH

Paul himself doesn't know how to put things right. Quite worryingly, last night when asked about how to put things right, he just talked about the law of averages meaning we can't keep losing games where the opposition score more than us from fewer chances.

The law of averages?!!!

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 71
Rick12
October 25, 2023, 8:20am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He’s never moved to any of his jobs.

Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Pal, not to be a pedant but he lives just outside Rotherham in his family home and commutes to Cheapside/BP.
Thanks for the updates lads 👍.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 71
Maringer
October 25, 2023, 8:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
I'd disagree. I think it was an interview which noted Hurst had spoken to the owners about his position and felt that he probably had another game or two to save his job. I can't see him departing before the weekend and perhaps not even after that.

I'd also like to know where it was confirmed that we offered Crocombe just a year and that's why he left? It seems to be 'common knowledge', but I suspect it is just something which somebody surmised on the Fishy at some point. I'd also read somewhere that he wanted to move away from N.E. Lincs (or his missus did!) and fancied a shot at football in the division above when the opportunity arose!

He's clearly a better keeper than Eastwood (who I didn't realise was as old as 27), so certainly a big loss, especially given the nature of some of the goals we have conceded over the past 6 weeks. I still reckon that Cartwright having the No. 1 shirt indicates he was expected to be first choice - highly rated young keepers don't tend to drop down two divisions because they want to play a few games in the Mickey Mouse Trophy for their hometown club. Just a pity he doesn't seem nearly ready for the first team yet.

It seems so odd that a month or so ago, there was concern that we were set up too defensively and so would struggle to score enough goals, but we're now shipping stupid ones left, right and centre.

It wouldn't be such an problem if we were scoring from the chances we should at the other end, but the number of open goals we're missing at BP is just ludicrous. Eisa can smack any number of long-range efforts on target, but doesn't seem to be able to scuff one in from a couple of yards. Was it Gnahoua who missed an open goal as well last night?

We'll have to see what happens in Donny. I'd suspect that even a defeat might not be quite enough to do for Hurst, but I'm not sure about that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 71
Northbank Mariner
October 25, 2023, 8:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Maringer
I'd disagree. I think it was an interview which noted Hurst had spoken to the owners about his position and felt that he probably had another game or two to save his job. I can't see him departing before the weekend and perhaps not even after that.

I'd also like to know where it was confirmed that we offered Crocombe just a year and that's why he left? It seems to be 'common knowledge', but I suspect it is just something which somebody surmised on the Fishy at some point. I'd also read somewhere that he wanted to move away from N.E. Lincs (or his missus did!) and fancied a shot at football in the division above when the opportunity arose!

He's clearly a better keeper than Eastwood (who I didn't realise was as old as 27), so certainly a big loss, especially given the nature of some of the goals we have conceded over the past 6 weeks. I still reckon that Cartwright having the No. 1 shirt indicates he was expected to be first choice - highly rated young keepers don't tend to drop down two divisions because they want to play a few games in the Mickey Mouse Trophy for their hometown club. Just a pity he doesn't seem nearly ready for the first team yet.

It seems so odd that a month or so ago, there was concern that we were set up too defensively and so would struggle to score enough goals, but we're now shipping stupid ones left, right and centre.

It wouldn't be such an problem if we were scoring from the chances we should at the other end, but the number of open goals we're missing at BP is just ludicrous. Eisa can smack any number of long-range efforts on target, but doesn't seem to be able to scuff one in from a couple of yards. Was it Gnahoua who missed an open goal as well last night?

We'll have to see what happens in Donny. I'd suspect that even a defeat might not be quite enough to do for Hurst, but I'm not sure about that.

Regarding Crocombe, that came from his own lips in a interview he did just after turning the contract down.
Openly says he wanted to stay but felt he deserved a 2 year deal, and imo opinion, that's another boll@ck dropped by Hurst.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 71
mariner91
October 25, 2023, 8:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

That's because Crocombe literally said as much in an interview. It would be a very odd thing to say in an interview if it wasn't true.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 71
buckstown
October 25, 2023, 8:45am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Tough listen and I feel for PH. Key sentence relates to this team is better than the points total.
Eastwood isn’t great but he’s not the reason we’re falling apart. In the first month of the season virtually everyone on here was glowing about Rodger’s, Mullarkey, Maher and Conteh and how classy they looked and how we’d improved defensively. Now they look like frail shadows, bereft of confidence
I’m a PH fan but I’m afraid this won’t just click into place now. The irony is that we all thought scoring would be the big challenge, and while we’re not prolific that end is sort of ok
People suggesting he’s not bothered because he’s got a few quid and he’ll get a pay off are way off the mark. He’ll have felt physically sick when he went to bed last night, pride shattered and wondering what to do next.
Hypothetical of course but if Warnock took over on Thursday we’d be mid table by the end of November and Rodger’s, Conteh and Mullarkey would be Rolls Royces again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 71
UTMariners
October 25, 2023, 9:17am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +424
Gold Stars: 6
I've been on the fence about sacking him but sadly I think he should go having listened to that interview.  If he had said, it's clearly not working and I need to sit down with the coaching staff and go back to basics thinking about tactics, approach, personnel etc but he seems to think our losses are bad luck and if we keep going in the same vein things will turnaround!  That to me is delusional and really worrying.  So many players have gone backwards in such a short space of time and for whatever reason I don't think they have any confidence in what they are being asked to do.

"My love, my heart, my soul, my life.  My beloved Club Grimsby."

Salford Mariner

Join the Trust!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 71
pen penfras
October 25, 2023, 9:25am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Quoted from mariner91

That's because Crocombe literally said as much in an interview. It would be a very odd thing to say in an interview if it wasn't true.

Interesting. I'm sure Hurst said he wanted guarantees of being first choice and wouldn't get them.

Crocombe was getting slated at the end of last season and a fair proportion on here were happy he'd gone. I thought he was the reason we weren't in a relegation battle this season and swapping him for a relegated keeper is bizarre to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 71
ska face
October 25, 2023, 9:39am

Vodka Drinker
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Think the general consensus on Crocombe was that, firstly he clearly wanted away, and secondly we could do better - which is not an unreasonable position considering where we’d finished, how Crocombe’s last 4/5 months had gone, the money we had coming in and how long we had in the summer to find a replacement.

The recruitment has obviously been a nightmare, but not sure you can pin that on the fans.

I honestly think Cartwright was signed to be no.1, but the decision for him to go abroad for a fortnight with Hull put him behind Eastwood and he’s forever been playing catch-up, and hasn’t impressed when thrown in cold to the cup games.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 71
forza ivano
October 25, 2023, 9:39am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,204
Gold Stars: 265
Dont think that's quite right Pen. Feel sure that Hurst said he wanted 2 keepers competing with each other for the no.1 spot,whilst Crocombe wanted the security of being first choice. It hasnt worked out because Cartwright has dropped clangers every time hes played, despite being ( supposedly) a star in the making
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 71
pen penfras
October 25, 2023, 9:47am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Quoted from forza ivano
Dont think that's quite right Pen. Feel sure that Hurst said he wanted 2 keepers competing with each other for the no.1 spot,whilst Crocombe wanted the security of being first choice. It hasnt worked out because Cartwright has dropped clangers every time hes played, despite being ( supposedly) a star in the making

That's what I thought I'd written, I guess badly. Your recollection is the same as mine. I don't remember contract length, so sounds like there were multiple reasons.

His form at the end of the season makes me think he'd already agreed to leave anyway. The drop from the start of the season was huge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 71
Blundellite
October 25, 2023, 9:56am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +71
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from DaleH

least you didnt' have to queue!!
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 71
MuddyWaters
October 25, 2023, 10:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from DaleH

Laudable loyalty but you know full well that when a manager says what he said in that interview that the writing is on the wall. He also knows that the owners simply can’t afford another relegation and he also knows that he’s lost credibility with a large percentage of the fans.

I’m sad that it’s ending like this but end it will. Managers come and managers go, thanks for the memories Paul.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 71
Maringer
October 25, 2023, 10:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Regarding Crocombe, that came from his own lips in a interview he did just after turning the contract down.
Openly says he wanted to stay but felt he deserved a 2 year deal, and imo opinion, that's another boll@ck dropped by Hurst.

Ah, never saw that interview. Definitely an error by Hurst as I rated him as a very good keeper for this level. Eastwood seems panicky at the best of times whereas Crocombe was always a very confident-looking keeper and his willingness to come for crosses (and win the ball most of the time) is absolutely vital in this division.

I can only assume that hurst thought Cartwright was going to be the bee's knees and this hasn't come to pass.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 71
Badger57
October 25, 2023, 10:40am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,912
Gold Stars: 30
So it's all down to bad karma, bad luck and a crap goalkeeper?
One out of three might be true but Paul can't blame anyone but himself for that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 71
diehardmariner
October 25, 2023, 10:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
I really can't recall many voices of opposition when Hurst made the decision on Crocombe five/six months ago.  The second half of last season he was well off the boil and whilst he had 12 months previous on that it felt like the right thing for a parting of ways.  

He wanted something different.  We wanted to improve.  That was still the right decision all round.

The problem is that Hurst seems to struggle to bring in actual improvements, despite identifying that he wants to make those improvements.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 71
TownSNAFU5
October 25, 2023, 10:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Managers who repeatedly do not get the best from their available resources tend to get "moved on" or sacked.  Even more so if they repeatedly nearly get results, often make poor decisions, and and are "unlucky".

Patience with poor performers has its limits.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 71
heppy88
October 25, 2023, 11:08am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from DaleH

I find it admirable that you stick by Paul and can hear your passion towards the man. I get the sense that you know him personally and that he’s had a positive influence on you. But I believe there is no room for sentiment. Football is big business and the hopes and dreams of a whole community ride on it. I believe that’s why Stockwood especially relishes the challenge. But that shouldn’t mean sticking by someone just because he’s a good bloke. Is Paul Hurst effective? Is that currently in EVIDENCE? How are his actions currently affecting the wider aims of 1878 and the club at large? Like I said, no room for sentiment, there is just too much at stake.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 71
Bigdog
October 25, 2023, 11:09am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
My hunch may not be right, but I get the feeling that 1878 and Hurst won't leave the team managerless for even one game. Due to his obvious integrity, I could easily see Hurst managing right up until a new manager is appointed for the sake of continuity, so there may be action behind the scenes without there being an immediate statement from the board..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 71
jimgtfc
October 25, 2023, 11:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Quoted from Bigdog
My hunch may not be right, but I get the feeling that 1878 and Hurst won't leave the team managerless for even one game. Due to his obvious integrity, I could easily see Hurst managing right up until a new manager is appointed for the sake of continuity, so there may be action behind the scenes without there being an immediate statement from the board..

Actually, that makes sense, and ties in with a few things he said in his interview.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 71
toontown
October 25, 2023, 12:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Bigdog

We wouldn't be actually managerless though would we, presumably Davies would carry on as interim manager and presumably he has ambitions to be appointed to a manager role somewhere one day. It would be a huge opportunity for him even if it was much earlier than he wanted or expected.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 71
easypeersy
October 25, 2023, 8:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
I am feeling ashamed to have been slinging abuse at Paul Hurst last night at the end of the match.
He is a nice guy that is for sure. This interview proves that.
I was angry and emotions got the better of me.
Whether he is the right man to lead us out of trouble is open for debate.
I am going to keep my emotions to myself from now on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 71
arryarryarry
October 25, 2023, 9:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from diehardmariner
I really can't recall many voices of opposition when Hurst made the decision on Crocombe five/six months ago.  The second half of last season he was well off the boil and whilst he had 12 months previous on that it felt like the right thing for a parting of ways.  

He wanted something different.  We wanted to improve.  That was still the right decision all round.

The problem is that Hurst seems to struggle to bring in actual improvements, despite identifying that he wants to make those improvements.

I assume there weren't many objections because most thought that Paul Hurst had it in him with a bigger budget to bring a goalkeeper either just as good or better.

Sadly he failed miserably.
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 71
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Post Match Interview

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.