Blundellite
October 25, 2023, 9:56am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +71
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from DaleH
A very honest interview, particularly when he references the conversations he had with the owners.

He’s a great guy, and that interview has made me even more determined to back him to find a way to get us out of this rut and horrible run of outcomes.

Come on Paul you can do this. Get these players up for it on Saturday at Doncaster.

Full time I was straight into the ticket office to get 3 tickets. I’m backing the manager and team 100% because that’s what we do.

I just know that Paul will find a way to put this right and start getting points on the board.

least you didnt' have to queue!!
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 71
MuddyWaters
October 25, 2023, 10:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from DaleH
A very honest interview, particularly when he references the conversations he had with the owners.

He’s a great guy, and that interview has made me even more determined to back him to find a way to get us out of this rut and horrible run of outcomes.

Come on Paul you can do this. Get these players up for it on Saturday at Doncaster.

Full time I was straight into the ticket office to get 3 tickets. I’m backing the manager and team 100% because that’s what we do.

I just know that Paul will find a way to put this right and start getting points on the board.

Laudable loyalty but you know full well that when a manager says what he said in that interview that the writing is on the wall. He also knows that the owners simply can’t afford another relegation and he also knows that he’s lost credibility with a large percentage of the fans.

I’m sad that it’s ending like this but end it will. Managers come and managers go, thanks for the memories Paul.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 71
Maringer
October 25, 2023, 10:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,542
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Regarding Crocombe, that came from his own lips in a interview he did just after turning the contract down.
Openly says he wanted to stay but felt he deserved a 2 year deal, and imo opinion, that's another boll@ck dropped by Hurst.

Ah, never saw that interview. Definitely an error by Hurst as I rated him as a very good keeper for this level. Eastwood seems panicky at the best of times whereas Crocombe was always a very confident-looking keeper and his willingness to come for crosses (and win the ball most of the time) is absolutely vital in this division.

I can only assume that hurst thought Cartwright was going to be the bee's knees and this hasn't come to pass.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 71
Badger57
October 25, 2023, 10:40am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,913
Gold Stars: 30
So it's all down to bad karma, bad luck and a crap goalkeeper?
One out of three might be true but Paul can't blame anyone but himself for that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 71
diehardmariner
October 25, 2023, 10:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
I really can't recall many voices of opposition when Hurst made the decision on Crocombe five/six months ago.  The second half of last season he was well off the boil and whilst he had 12 months previous on that it felt like the right thing for a parting of ways.  

He wanted something different.  We wanted to improve.  That was still the right decision all round.

The problem is that Hurst seems to struggle to bring in actual improvements, despite identifying that he wants to make those improvements.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 71
TownSNAFU5
October 25, 2023, 10:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
Managers who repeatedly do not get the best from their available resources tend to get "moved on" or sacked.  Even more so if they repeatedly nearly get results, often make poor decisions, and and are "unlucky".

Patience with poor performers has its limits.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 71
heppy88
October 25, 2023, 11:08am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from DaleH

I find it admirable that you stick by Paul and can hear your passion towards the man. I get the sense that you know him personally and that he’s had a positive influence on you. But I believe there is no room for sentiment. Football is big business and the hopes and dreams of a whole community ride on it. I believe that’s why Stockwood especially relishes the challenge. But that shouldn’t mean sticking by someone just because he’s a good bloke. Is Paul Hurst effective? Is that currently in EVIDENCE? How are his actions currently affecting the wider aims of 1878 and the club at large? Like I said, no room for sentiment, there is just too much at stake.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 71
Bigdog
October 25, 2023, 11:09am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
My hunch may not be right, but I get the feeling that 1878 and Hurst won't leave the team managerless for even one game. Due to his obvious integrity, I could easily see Hurst managing right up until a new manager is appointed for the sake of continuity, so there may be action behind the scenes without there being an immediate statement from the board..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 71
jimgtfc
October 25, 2023, 11:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,090
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Bigdog
My hunch may not be right, but I get the feeling that 1878 and Hurst won't leave the team managerless for even one game. Due to his obvious integrity, I could easily see Hurst managing right up until a new manager is appointed for the sake of continuity, so there may be action behind the scenes without there being an immediate statement from the board..

Actually, that makes sense, and ties in with a few things he said in his interview.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 71
toontown
October 25, 2023, 12:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Bigdog

We wouldn't be actually managerless though would we, presumably Davies would carry on as interim manager and presumably he has ambitions to be appointed to a manager role somewhere one day. It would be a huge opportunity for him even if it was much earlier than he wanted or expected.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Post Match Interview

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.