8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Mappers
October 24, 2023, 11:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,325
Gold Stars: 118
That is a very hard listen  and I really feel for him. He sounds like he has done what he always has done and can't quite fathom why it has gone pear shaped, so blames it on bad luck.

He is almost asking to be releived of his duties at the end.

I bet the owners call his bluff though and give him another two or three games to see if the tide turns.

I read it as they don't want to sack him

But he thinks they probably should

Maybe I'm way off
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 71
mariner91
October 24, 2023, 11:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,654
Gold Stars: 262
You’re only as good as your worst player and when both your keepers are shite, then you’re in trouble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 71
davmariner
October 24, 2023, 11:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from mariner91
You’re only as good as your worst player and when both your keepers are shite, then you’re in trouble.

To be fair, Cartwright has only ever played in cobbled together cup teams with a makeshift back line in front of him. Granted, he’s dropped some clangers in those matches, and he may turn out to be shite, but I’m not sure I’m ready to write him off just yet.

Eastwood on the other hand, doesn’t inspire confidence, struggles to catch, and makes bad decisions. It’s clear that he’s a downgrade.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 71
lew chaterleys lover
October 25, 2023, 12:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,721
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from mariner91

Of all the unfathomable things that have happened, this is the one I can't get my head around.

He has managed Eastwood before for goodness sake. Such an important, pivotal position in the team which is the cornerstone of a good defence.

Cartwright isn't ready for league football. How could we get 2 signings so wrong, when we had a bit of money, we had the exposure of the Cup run and was in a really good place?
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 71
AncientExiledMariner
October 25, 2023, 12:10am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59

Of all the unfathomable things that have happened, this is the one I can't get my head around.

He has managed Eastwood before for goodness sake. Such an important, pivotal position in the team which is the cornerstone of a good defence.

Cartwright isn't ready for league football. How could we get 2 signings so wrong, when we had a bit of money, we had the exposure of the Cup run and was in a really good place?

I think it's likely these are the best available realistic options, budget and expectation wise.

I think if you asked Paul off record, he'd probably concede it wasn't the right choice. Unless it turns around come January, I'd expect movement here personally.

Whoever is in charge has this squad until January.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 71
Limerick Mariner
October 25, 2023, 12:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,697
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Mappers

I read it as they don't want to sack him

But he thinks they probably should

Maybe I'm way off

Maybe because unlike other owners - foreign owners with plenty of cash, or other more egotistical type owners that hire and fire on a whim, JS and AP will need to think carefully about how a decision to change managers now will result in improvement. They will be acutely aware of the track record of GTFC in chopping and changing managers - it’s been mostly disastrous. They will want to have a plan, maybe they have one, or maybe a slump like this has really caught them out.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 71
mariner91
October 25, 2023, 12:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,654
Gold Stars: 262

I think it's likely these are the best available realistic options, budget and expectation wise.

I think if you asked Paul off record, he'd probably concede it wasn't the right choice. Unless it turns around come January, I'd expect movement here personally.

Whoever is in charge has this squad until January.

How can that possibly be true? For starters, we had a goalkeeper who was perfectly capable despite having had a bit of a dip in form. For some reason Hurst decided Crocombe was only worth a year contract whilst Eastwood deserved two. What a catastrophic decision that has turned out to be.

If our budget could only realistically manage to get a 21 year old who’s barely played men’s football and a keeper who’s just been relegated out of L2 and was widely described as crap by that team’s fans then we’re in serious trouble. It’s far more likely that Hurst had a reasonable budget and has made a hash of this transfer window. It will likely and should cost him his job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 71
davmariner
October 25, 2023, 12:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Anyone know what James McKeown is up to these days? **Ducks for cover**

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 71
Limerick Mariner
October 25, 2023, 12:31am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,697
Gold Stars: 136

Losing Crocombe and Smith and another year in the skippers legs meaning we don’t have his leadership on the pitch as much all look to be material - with hindsight mind. I was pleased with the quality of signings, although thought us a CB short.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 71
AncientExiledMariner
October 25, 2023, 12:38am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from mariner91

How can that possibly be true? For starters, we had a goalkeeper who was perfectly capable despite having had a bit of a dip in form. For some reason Hurst decided Crocombe was only worth a year contract whilst Eastwood deserved two. What a catastrophic decision that has turned out to be.

If our budget could only realistically manage to get a 21 year old who’s barely played men’s football and a keeper who’s just been relegated out of L2 and was widely described as crap by that team’s fans then we’re in serious trouble. It’s far more likely that Hurst had a reasonable budget and has made a hash of this transfer window. It will likely and should cost him his job.

Did Hurst actually only offer him 1?

I was under the impression he wanted assurances about being the number 1 and didn't sign by the date given. We don't know if he'd already been offered terms elsewhere and we may have had zero time to replace.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer Mr Crampy, but I don't know how realistic the possibility of him staying actually was.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Post Match Interview

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.