Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He’s never moved to any of his jobs.

Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Pal, not to be a pedant but he lives just outside Rotherham in his family home and commutes to Cheapside/BP.
Thanks for the updates lads 👍.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 71
Maringer
October 25, 2023, 8:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,542
Gold Stars: 185
I'd disagree. I think it was an interview which noted Hurst had spoken to the owners about his position and felt that he probably had another game or two to save his job. I can't see him departing before the weekend and perhaps not even after that.

I'd also like to know where it was confirmed that we offered Crocombe just a year and that's why he left? It seems to be 'common knowledge', but I suspect it is just something which somebody surmised on the Fishy at some point. I'd also read somewhere that he wanted to move away from N.E. Lincs (or his missus did!) and fancied a shot at football in the division above when the opportunity arose!

He's clearly a better keeper than Eastwood (who I didn't realise was as old as 27), so certainly a big loss, especially given the nature of some of the goals we have conceded over the past 6 weeks. I still reckon that Cartwright having the No. 1 shirt indicates he was expected to be first choice - highly rated young keepers don't tend to drop down two divisions because they want to play a few games in the Mickey Mouse Trophy for their hometown club. Just a pity he doesn't seem nearly ready for the first team yet.

It seems so odd that a month or so ago, there was concern that we were set up too defensively and so would struggle to score enough goals, but we're now shipping stupid ones left, right and centre.

It wouldn't be such an problem if we were scoring from the chances we should at the other end, but the number of open goals we're missing at BP is just ludicrous. Eisa can smack any number of long-range efforts on target, but doesn't seem to be able to scuff one in from a couple of yards. Was it Gnahoua who missed an open goal as well last night?

We'll have to see what happens in Donny. I'd suspect that even a defeat might not be quite enough to do for Hurst, but I'm not sure about that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 71
Northbank Mariner
October 25, 2023, 8:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Maringer
I'd disagree. I think it was an interview which noted Hurst had spoken to the owners about his position and felt that he probably had another game or two to save his job. I can't see him departing before the weekend and perhaps not even after that.

I'd also like to know where it was confirmed that we offered Crocombe just a year and that's why he left? It seems to be 'common knowledge', but I suspect it is just something which somebody surmised on the Fishy at some point. I'd also read somewhere that he wanted to move away from N.E. Lincs (or his missus did!) and fancied a shot at football in the division above when the opportunity arose!

He's clearly a better keeper than Eastwood (who I didn't realise was as old as 27), so certainly a big loss, especially given the nature of some of the goals we have conceded over the past 6 weeks. I still reckon that Cartwright having the No. 1 shirt indicates he was expected to be first choice - highly rated young keepers don't tend to drop down two divisions because they want to play a few games in the Mickey Mouse Trophy for their hometown club. Just a pity he doesn't seem nearly ready for the first team yet.

It seems so odd that a month or so ago, there was concern that we were set up too defensively and so would struggle to score enough goals, but we're now shipping stupid ones left, right and centre.

It wouldn't be such an problem if we were scoring from the chances we should at the other end, but the number of open goals we're missing at BP is just ludicrous. Eisa can smack any number of long-range efforts on target, but doesn't seem to be able to scuff one in from a couple of yards. Was it Gnahoua who missed an open goal as well last night?

We'll have to see what happens in Donny. I'd suspect that even a defeat might not be quite enough to do for Hurst, but I'm not sure about that.

Regarding Crocombe, that came from his own lips in a interview he did just after turning the contract down.
Openly says he wanted to stay but felt he deserved a 2 year deal, and imo opinion, that's another boll@ck dropped by Hurst.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 71
mariner91
October 25, 2023, 8:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Maringer

That's because Crocombe literally said as much in an interview. It would be a very odd thing to say in an interview if it wasn't true.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 71
buckstown
October 25, 2023, 8:45am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
Tough listen and I feel for PH. Key sentence relates to this team is better than the points total.
Eastwood isn’t great but he’s not the reason we’re falling apart. In the first month of the season virtually everyone on here was glowing about Rodger’s, Mullarkey, Maher and Conteh and how classy they looked and how we’d improved defensively. Now they look like frail shadows, bereft of confidence
I’m a PH fan but I’m afraid this won’t just click into place now. The irony is that we all thought scoring would be the big challenge, and while we’re not prolific that end is sort of ok
People suggesting he’s not bothered because he’s got a few quid and he’ll get a pay off are way off the mark. He’ll have felt physically sick when he went to bed last night, pride shattered and wondering what to do next.
Hypothetical of course but if Warnock took over on Thursday we’d be mid table by the end of November and Rodger’s, Conteh and Mullarkey would be Rolls Royces again
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 71
UTMariners
October 25, 2023, 9:17am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +424
Gold Stars: 6
I've been on the fence about sacking him but sadly I think he should go having listened to that interview.  If he had said, it's clearly not working and I need to sit down with the coaching staff and go back to basics thinking about tactics, approach, personnel etc but he seems to think our losses are bad luck and if we keep going in the same vein things will turnaround!  That to me is delusional and really worrying.  So many players have gone backwards in such a short space of time and for whatever reason I don't think they have any confidence in what they are being asked to do.

"My love, my heart, my soul, my life.  My beloved Club Grimsby."

Salford Mariner

Join the Trust!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 71
pen penfras
October 25, 2023, 9:25am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from mariner91

That's because Crocombe literally said as much in an interview. It would be a very odd thing to say in an interview if it wasn't true.

Interesting. I'm sure Hurst said he wanted guarantees of being first choice and wouldn't get them.

Crocombe was getting slated at the end of last season and a fair proportion on here were happy he'd gone. I thought he was the reason we weren't in a relegation battle this season and swapping him for a relegated keeper is bizarre to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 71
ska face
October 25, 2023, 9:39am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Think the general consensus on Crocombe was that, firstly he clearly wanted away, and secondly we could do better - which is not an unreasonable position considering where we’d finished, how Crocombe’s last 4/5 months had gone, the money we had coming in and how long we had in the summer to find a replacement.

The recruitment has obviously been a nightmare, but not sure you can pin that on the fans.

I honestly think Cartwright was signed to be no.1, but the decision for him to go abroad for a fortnight with Hull put him behind Eastwood and he’s forever been playing catch-up, and hasn’t impressed when thrown in cold to the cup games.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 71
forza ivano
October 25, 2023, 9:39am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,205
Gold Stars: 265
Dont think that's quite right Pen. Feel sure that Hurst said he wanted 2 keepers competing with each other for the no.1 spot,whilst Crocombe wanted the security of being first choice. It hasnt worked out because Cartwright has dropped clangers every time hes played, despite being ( supposedly) a star in the making
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 71
pen penfras
October 25, 2023, 9:47am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from forza ivano
Dont think that's quite right Pen. Feel sure that Hurst said he wanted 2 keepers competing with each other for the no.1 spot,whilst Crocombe wanted the security of being first choice. It hasnt worked out because Cartwright has dropped clangers every time hes played, despite being ( supposedly) a star in the making

That's what I thought I'd written, I guess badly. Your recollection is the same as mine. I don't remember contract length, so sounds like there were multiple reasons.

His form at the end of the season makes me think he'd already agreed to leave anyway. The drop from the start of the season was huge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Post Match Interview

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.