8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Tommy
October 24, 2023, 11:23pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Good, and incredibly honest interview that.

A couple of things stand out from that for me:

1) Paul Hurst is a f@cking good guy.

2) PH said something along the lines of "this team is better than the amount of points its amassed." That is ultimately the bottom line I'm afraid. A manager not getting the best out of the squad ultimately means it is time for a change. And I'll take no pleasure in that because of what I've said in point 1 above.

Very interesting and almost unusual last couple of minutes of the interview.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 71
GollyGTFC
October 24, 2023, 11:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
19 goals conceded in last 8 league matches with just 4 league points from those games. Not sure you can explain that away as just bad luck.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 71
DB
October 24, 2023, 11:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
That interview has not instilled any confidence in me that he can turn it around. He mentioned percentages and it will turn in our favour. As mentioned above his attitude to the owners is sack me if you want.

Also, there was not a bit of enthusiasm in his voice and his words were merely 'We'll plod on and it'll come right.'
To sum up, his words were that they were lucky with their goal ( or words to that effect ). He maintained that we were good and did not seem to want to make any criticism of the shambolic defence which has been poor week in and week out, while he talked of being honest.

Thank you Paul but you have to go.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 71
GollyGTFC
October 24, 2023, 11:29pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
Sounded like a man resigned to his fate.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 71
Davec
October 24, 2023, 11:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 42
A bizarre end to the interview and it almost seemed as so he knew that his time is up.

I take no pleasure in saying I hope it is, it's not working and it's best for him and us that he's relieved of his duties
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 71
lew chaterleys lover
October 24, 2023, 11:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
That is a very hard listen  and I really feel for him. He sounds like he has done what he always has done and can't quite fathom why it has gone pear shaped, so blames it on bad luck.

He is almost asking to be releived of his duties at the end.

I bet the owners call his bluff though and give him another two or three games to see if the tide turns.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 71
toontown
October 24, 2023, 11:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
I really like Paul Hurst, so different to the usual bullshit style of manager, very open interview.

I would say I agree with him about this squad being worth more points than it's got, but that's not an observation that does him any favours at the moment.

The barely concealed apportion of blame at the goal keepers feet for, in his words "almost every shot against us goes in" is not an observation that does him any favours either. He was the one that offered max a 1 year deal and offered Eastwood a 2 year deal that meant we ended up with the latter. This combined with having an even worse keeper in Cartwright as backup leaving our hands tied to have to continue playing Eastwood is a massive millstone around our neck . Whose decision was it to bring Cartwright in? Two truly awful decisions there.

Really annoying cos he's such a hardworking, genuine and honest guy but hes properly flipping up/copulated up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 71
immariner
October 24, 2023, 11:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61
He's not wrong though, we have been in every game, bar a couple, and should've amassed far more points than we have based on performances and chances created. We deserved a point against the league leaders on Saturday and we deserved at least a point against 2nd from bottom tonight. We obviously ended up with neither and it's obvious we do currently have a weak underbelly, but we have also had more than our fair share of bad luck, the third tonight being a prime example. We need to somehow scrape a win to give everyone a lift and there's no reason we can't do that Saturday. We need to show up Saturday in numbers and get right behind them. I know we always do but like PROPER behind them. We can get out of this
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 71
Stew0_0
October 24, 2023, 11:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,200
Gold Stars: 35
I have to agree with Paul tbh. We've been in all the games we've played this season with maybe the exception of Wrexham away. This division is ruthless or seemingly seems that way towards us ATM. 3 shots on goal and all go in on their part. We have several opportunities, hit the post, keeper saves several and near misses, strange ref decisions going against us all night.

Having come home, taking the anger and frustration away I can see the bad luck but can't believe some of the bad defending and in particular goalkeeping but can't put this all on Hurst and the players need to step up. Yes I want improvement but think Hurst needs a little longer to turn this around, especially with the run of games we have now, starting Saturday.

One thing he needs to do though is get home himself a settled team, get them in form and fighting for each other. That's the way to end the bad run .

Oh and I've ripped up my betting form to say town finishing in the playoffs. When it comes to betting on town I seem to be the biggest jinx. Sorry guys. During the season we miraculously stayed up during Jolleys reign I bet on town to lose every game during last 2 months of the season. Job done
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 71
AncientExiledMariner
October 24, 2023, 11:43pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Morph2000
His words they had 3 shots on target and score 3 goals!!!

What’s that tell you Paul??? It’s been same last few weeks our keeper doesn’t deserve to start.

He probably knows the guy isn't in form right now and doesn't want to knock his confidence. He might not be getting the right feedback or response from Cartwright and may be doubting it'll change much. He probably thinks it's more likely Eastwood will come through it than Cartwright stepping up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Post Match Interview

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.