16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
crusty ole pie
August 6, 2023, 4:48pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,350
Gold Stars: 66
To put this debate to bed WILL ALL SEASON TICKET/ HOLDER PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU ATTEND THE MANSFIELD GAME ON THE 19th AUGUST and hopefully Mansfield will sell their full allocation and we just need someone to add all the unsold tickets and take it off the official attendance SORTED
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 153
Swansea_Mariner
August 6, 2023, 5:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,456
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from moosey_club
Regards the training ground, I believe that the preferred site is identified but is tied up with wider council issues and also possibly Sport England or some government initiative on green spaces and funding.

If that's the case frankly I'd just move to the next site on the list and get on with it, inflation waits for no one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 153
MuddyWaters
August 6, 2023, 5:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

If that's the case frankly I'd just move to the next site on the list and get on with it, inflation waits for no one.

Cheapside must be pretty decent now given the money spent on it. I’d rather see the £7 million allegedly being earmarked for the training ground spent on a stadium.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 153
rancido
August 6, 2023, 5:29pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from GollyGTFC

When I was born Grantham had a cinema with 1 screen that was built in the late 70s. They added a second screen in the late 1980s. The seats were horrible in both and it wasn't a pleasant experience to go there. We used to go to Showcase in either Nottingham or Peterborough (both around 40 minutes drive) every time we went to the cinema.

About 5 years ago the cinema was bulldozed and a 5 screen cinema was built over the site and a small adjacent council staff car park. The seats are much comfier and the experience much nice than the previous cinema.

As a result more people go to Grantham Cinema than used to go.

Build it and they will come.

I can't imagine for one minute that Stockwood with his successful career doesn't fully understand that.

If the facilities at our home ground were better (seats, no posts, nicer toilets, better catering, more spacious concourse area, better PA system etc...) then more people will come.

There are very few decent view seats left in BP for the casual fan and none at all if you want more than 1 ticket..

If the experience of attending Grimsby Town home matches was better then the attendances would rise. You only have to look at the attendance boosts that clubs who have moved from grotty old dumps to new stadiums have gained.

I appreciate JS & AP have a policy of not talking about things until they reach the point where they will become public (i.e.planning permission stage), but that policy shouldn't extend to telling blatant lies and making out BP is big enough because it was cater for all the fans that want to attend a home match against someone like Morecambe.

The point is that a company with many cinema outlets around the country can afford to speculate and afford one new outlet. The overall investment will be covered by the income from the rest of the group. Also, although I don't really know, I imagine the cost of building a new cinema complex would be less than building a football stadium. We don't have the luxury of other facets of our business to help fund and support a new ground.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 153
lew chaterleys lover
August 6, 2023, 6:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Cheapside must be pretty decent now given the money spent on it. I’d rather see the £7 million allegedly being earmarked for the training ground spent on a stadium.

You raise an interesting point regarding the training ground.

Would it be possible to redevlop Cheapside in line with what they want, for a lot less? How many clubs at our level have such extraordinary training facilities that it influences players to move there?

I know they have ambitious plans for things to be at the heart of the community but everything has a cost, and getting anything new done in Grimsby seems to be fraught with difficulty.

I don't think we agree on the new stadium,  as I think with a part rebuild BP would be good enough for our foreseeable needs, and I think a new stadium is too expensive and light years away, so I would put the savings made on a training facility into Blundell Park.

Andrew Pettit is the ideal man to decide on these things given his background but even he doesn't appear to have made much progress on the training ground proposals, which could be made public at least.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 153
MuddyWaters
August 6, 2023, 11:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236

You raise an interesting point regarding the training ground.

Would it be possible to redevlop Cheapside in line with what they want, for a lot less? How many clubs at our level have such extraordinary training facilities that it influences players to move there?

I know they have ambitious plans for things to be at the heart of the community but everything has a cost, and getting anything new done in Grimsby seems to be fraught with difficulty.

I don't think we agree on the new stadium,  as I think with a part rebuild BP would be good enough for our foreseeable needs, and I think a new stadium is too expensive and light years away, so I would put the savings made on a training facility into Blundell Park.

Andrew Pettit is the ideal man to decide on these things given his background but even he doesn't appear to have made much progress on the training ground proposals, which could be made public at least.

We do have different opinions regarding a stadium because I think that, despite massive differences of opinion on many issues, Fenty was right about finding new and different revenue streams. My first experience of BP was as a 4 year old in 1968 in the Main Stand and it’s as woeful now as it was then. The only difference is that there appears to be more irresponsible dog owners in Harrington Street 💩
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 153
TownSNAFU5
August 7, 2023, 9:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
If we are successful this season, attendances should increase.  It is a too late then to react to the need for an increased capacity. Proactive measures are better surely?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 153
diehardmariner
August 7, 2023, 10:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
We don't own Cheapside.  That's the first big barrier towards any significant investment in the infrastructure there.

The second issue with Cheapside is the size of it.  It's fairly small to be housing all sides and staff.

The third issue is the location.  It's neither at the heart of the community nor easily accessible for anyone who doesn't live that way on.  It's a harsh reality that players will be travelling into the area and that they'll be spending the majority of their time at the training ground as opposed to the actual ground.  Adding 30-40 minutes onto someone's daily commute to get to the far side of Waltham isn't attractive.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 153
HerveJosse
August 7, 2023, 11:56am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Average attendance in League One on Saturday was 13600 . How can we expect to function at that level on a sustainable break even basis if we don’t have significantly more capacity then we have now.That is the question I would like to here someone ask the owners.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 153
Mappers
August 7, 2023, 12:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,329
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from HerveJosse
Average attendance in League One on Saturday was 13600 . How can we expect to function at that level on a sustainable break even basis if we don’t have significantly more capacity then we have now.That is the question I would like to here someone ask the owners.

There is that and about 10 teams being able to clear 3k away tickets if we getthere , let's hope they have a plan in place because it becomes a bit more important when you are missing out on about 50k people through the gate (££££) ballpark through a season because of a lack of capacity .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 153
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Todays attendance

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.