Maringer
August 11, 2023, 9:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,673
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from ska face
I see Alexander Retail Park has recently been bought by a new management/development company. Would be a shame if the whole thing was to mysteriously go up in flames, like that crooked pub near Birmingham, leaving a nice big parcel of town centre land just off the a180.

I don't reckon that would be a big enough site, to be honest. You could certainly fit a reasonably-sized ground in there, but there would be little room for any other sort of facilities or parking. Everywhere is built up with little free space in this town. It's why the out of town option will always be the easiest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 153
ska face
August 11, 2023, 9:40am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,781
Gold Stars: 851
The whole point with a town centre location is that you don’t need loads of parking. Absolute waste of money paying for massive car parks that don’t generate any income outside of a couple of grand 23-times a year.
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 153
Grantham_Mariner
August 11, 2023, 9:41am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,203
Gold Stars: 51
What about Brighton, no where near a main road, limited parking, so free train  the best option. Makes me think what sort of attendance they would get at the bottom of the Championship, or lower.

The best stadiums are the ones in city/town centers or within easy walking distance, with a rail station close.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 153
RonMariner
August 11, 2023, 9:46am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
I’ve been in a couple of 22,000 plus attendances at BP, and  numerous 15k plus.  I have also been in Town away followings above 20k. As recently as 2022 around 13kof us went to the London Stadium. I realise these are mostly one off special matches, but the point is that, if we do well enough to climb up the leagues then we will have the potential to far outstrip the current capacity of BP.

The new owners are intelligent forward thinking people so I have no doubt they must be considering options because BP capacity is a constraining factor on future growth.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 153
Maringer
August 11, 2023, 10:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face
The whole point with a town centre location is that you don’t need loads of parking. Absolute waste of money paying for massive car parks that don’t generate any income outside of a couple of grand 23-times a year.

Grimsby Town centre is 4 miles from my house. Without somewhere to park, I'm going to struggle to get to games, unless some really, really good transport links are sorted out. I have little faith that these would be forthcoming or usable and expect I would probably need to drive to games. It would take a lot of planning to sorting out bus services to the game, that's for sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 153
ska face
August 11, 2023, 10:17am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,781
Gold Stars: 851
Sorry, not being funny but that’s indicative of the car-centred way of thinking that’s plagued towns and cities for the past half-century. I’m sure it’s not beyond the realms of possibility to put on an extra bus route or two, a couple of times a month, running to the town’s main bus exchange at the Riverhead.
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 153
Hagrid
August 11, 2023, 10:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,487
Gold Stars: 536
So where is this proposed new site?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 153
aldi_01
August 11, 2023, 10:43am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Hagrid
So where is this proposed new site?

Humberston Ave, near New Waltham end, an unknown seller has donated the land to the club…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 153
diehardmariner
August 11, 2023, 10:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,702
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from ska face
I see Alexander Retail Park has recently been bought by a new management/development company. Would be a shame if the whole thing was to mysteriously go up in flames, like that crooked pub near Birmingham, leaving a nice big parcel of town centre land just off the a180.

Can add this to the scope of what I'm talking about in regenerating the whole town centre.  From Freshney Place to Alexander Retail Park there is what exactly, a Sainsburys and little else.  It also straddles a river.  You go to other towns and they absolutely cream themselves over development near water, even the tiniest little bits of it.  

We've got loads of it and do intercourse all with it.
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 153
Maringer
August 11, 2023, 11:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face
Sorry, not being funny but that’s indicative of the car-centred way of thinking that’s plagued towns and cities for the past half-century. I’m sure it’s not beyond the realms of possibility to put on an extra bus route or two, a couple of times a month, running to the town’s main bus exchange at the Riverhead.

Additional bus services should be pretty much direct to the ground. We'd need dozens of them operating, mostly arriving within a limited window of time and they'd need to be ready to depart soon after the game. Very tricky given that the road links in the town are pretty busy most of the time in any case.

I've not been on the bus in N.E. Lincs for some years, but I have memories of it taking an absolute flipping age to get into town from Cleethorpes back then. I have less faith than you in the ability of the council/bus companies to sort out a proper service for matchdays.

Ah well, it's a long way down the road and we don't even know if a new ground would be feasible for decades. We'll see how the landscape lies then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 153
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Todays attendance

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.