DB
September 7, 2023, 7:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from White_shorts

'We' don't have the waterfront land.  It presumably belongs to Sainsbury's.  How likely is it they would agree to close the store?

Well, they closed Argos.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 153
Poojah
September 7, 2023, 7:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,566
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from White_shorts

Has it not occurred to you that there might be parents with young children who enjoy stadia like Colchester or Shrewsbury, precisely because they don't get disturbed by boozed-up n0bheads? (I'm not saying you're a n0bhead).

Please suggest a realistic location for a new stadium in the heart of town.  Freemo appears not to be happening.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy a match day beer as much as the next man, if not a little bit more, but the problem with out of town grounds isn’t just about an absence of pubs - it’s the absence of anything likely to complement a day at the football. Good public transport links, restaurants, hotels, etc.

The concept of building amenities out of town is bang out of fashion, and rightly so. Not withstanding the wider economic pressures which currently prevail, town and city centres should serve as the beating heart of their respective communities. Deviate from that, and that beating heart suffers. You only need to spend 5 minutes in Sheffield city centre to appreciate the effect that Meadowhall has had on it. The lack of investment there is stark given the size of the population.

There are residual benefits of building a stadium centrally too, such as the benefit to the surrounding independent businesses. There are sound reasons why central, brownfield sites are the preferred option for new, public developments - no one is making planning decisions based on the needs of “píssed up nobheads”.

As for a realistic location for a new stadium in the heart of town - there isn’t one. Not because there isn’t a suitable parcel of land, but because it’s currently undeliverable due to the huge finances involved. This has been covered on here, time and time again. If it was doable, I’m sure Freemo would be an excellent place to stick a new ground. But it isn’t. So it’s not.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 153
IowaMariner
September 7, 2023, 8:59pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +79
Gold Stars: 7
“I’m an hour away and for every midweek game I think ‘can I really be arsed?’ Interesting question. Maybe not quite so “diehard” as your handle might suggest?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 153
rancido
September 8, 2023, 7:56pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from White_shorts

Novartis would be quite a trek for people without cars.  Maybe the club could provide shuttle buses, but they would likely get caught up in traffic congestion on Moody Lane.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/.....0vMDFsNXJ6?entry=ttu

The Novartis site and all that land adjacent to the Humber is restricted to industrial use only. The site is eventually going to be used for several industrial outlets.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 153
16 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Todays attendance

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.