ginnywings
August 16, 2023, 3:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Mappers
The fact is the amount of seats sold even on a Tuesday night is more than the 'natural' home capacity .

That's the way I look at it. 6000 crowds used to be the exception as little as 2 seasons ago, now we are getting that on a Tues night against Salford.

We have more fans buying season tickets, even if they know they can't make every game, just so they are assured of a seat when they want one. That didn't used to happen because the demand wasn't there and they could come and go as they pleased.

There's bound to be more no shows now, but if they releasing their seats as the club have asked, then there will be good seats available for most games.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 153
White_shorts
August 31, 2023, 3:48pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -647
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from chaos33
That post is based on what, exactly? And Southend and Oldham?!? Yeah, right.

Based on ground capacity and potential gates.  According to Wikipedia, Swindon 15.7k, Tranmere 16.7k, Bradford 25k, Doncaster 15k, Wrexham 10.7k increasing to over 15k, Notts County 19.5k.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 153
White_shorts
August 31, 2023, 3:58pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
The minute you added Southend to this list your point became invalid, they’ll be lucky to be a club by Christmas…

I did say maybe Southend.  Even if the Shrimpers do go bust, it doesn't mean the other clubs won't get promoted to League One.

£275,000 is a week's wages for some Premier League players.  You'd think one of them might like to help out, instead of buying another Lamborghini.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 153
louth_in_the_south
August 31, 2023, 4:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from White_shorts

I did say maybe Southend.  Even if the Shrimpers do go bust, it doesn't mean the other clubs won't get promoted to League One.

£275,000 is a week's wages for some Premier League players.  You'd think one of them might like to help out, instead of buying another Lamborghini.

Most PL players (or owners more pertinently) don’t even know clubs like Southend exist.

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 153
White_shorts
August 31, 2023, 4:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Novartis
✔️

Novartis would be quite a trek for people without cars.  Maybe the club could provide shuttle buses, but they would likely get caught up in traffic congestion on Moody Lane.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/.....0vMDFsNXJ6?entry=ttu

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 153
White_shorts
August 31, 2023, 4:24pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club
Because Grimsby Golf Club is running out of members ? I believe they have sold off the hole fronting Great Coates Rd for housing already ....

It didn't occur to me that the golf club might be struggling financially.  It would certainly be a big enough site.  You could fit a stadium, car park and training ground there.  

It's within walking distance of the Willows, Wybers, Laceby Acres, Grange, Yarborough.  On a bus route and not far from the A180.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5595615,-0.1256074,1253m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 153
White_shorts
September 7, 2023, 6:40pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Poojah
The problem with grounds like Bolton, and MK Dons, Colchester et al is that there isn’t sufficient redeeming features in the towns themselves to make a cab ride out to their grounds in the middle of nowhere worthwhile. There’s no doubt that the likes of Shrewsbury, Derby and so on would have been infinitely better away days had the grounds been build centrally.

Any new stadium for GTFC absolutely has to be at the heart of the town and a catalyst for regeneration.

Has it not occurred to you that there might be parents with young children who enjoy stadia like Colchester or Shrewsbury, precisely because they don't get disturbed by boozed-up n0bheads? (I'm not saying you're a n0bhead).

Please suggest a realistic location for a new stadium in the heart of town.  Freemo appears not to be happening.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 153
White_shorts
September 7, 2023, 6:44pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
As for an edge/out of town stadium, they’re dreadful and offer a woeful football experience, and given the owners are trying to build a community club, sticking a stadium on the edge of town suggests the opposite.

Please clarify: are you suggesting Jason and Andrew are looking at Novartis only for a training ground?  If so, where else could a new stadium go?

I assume you were joking about Humberston Avenue.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 153
White_shorts
September 7, 2023, 7:01pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
It won't be retail.  That ship has sailed, sunk and now lies at the bottom of the sea.  

But for the life of me I can't figure out any feasible way we get a new stadium without a significant enabling development to support/fund it.  

Happy to be corrected but unless it's leisure or housing, there won't be any other enabling developments that are even pipe dreams for us.

I have mentioned Grimsby West several times in the past.  

There are probably quite a few supporters in Cleethorpes who would prefer Peaks Parkway, but there would still be traffic congestion even though it's a more central location.  Most people would use their cars in winter, rather than walk or cycle.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 153
White_shorts
September 7, 2023, 7:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Can add this to the scope of what I'm talking about in regenerating the whole town centre.  From Freshney Place to Alexander Retail Park there is what exactly, a Sainsburys and little else.  It also straddles a river.  You go to other towns and they absolutely cream themselves over development near water, even the tiniest little bits of it.  

We've got loads of it and do intercourse all with it.

'We' don't have the waterfront land.  It presumably belongs to Sainsbury's.  How likely is it they would agree to close the store?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 153
16 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Todays attendance

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.