16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
August 6, 2023, 9:53am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
The club definitely needs to increase the capacity. We need to look at tickets sold, not attendances.

If yesterday was a sell-out, and sell-outs are becoming more and more frequent (which they are) then they must have a plan in place otherwise they’re not capitalising on the interest a new generation of fans are showing, and that could damage us long term.

I’d say it’s more likely that they do have a plan, but are keeping things close to their chest. I’d be very disappointed if nothing is done about increasing BP’s capacity over the next season or two.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 20 - 153
DB
August 6, 2023, 10:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,004
Gold Stars: 386
We've had a long discussion about this before. The club always gives the attendance as ' bums' on seats. This does not include the ST's holders who have not turned up but the club have received money for.

So taking an approx full house at 8,800 less the 1,200 away allocation it looks as if the gate yesterday of 7,412 was pretty good especially when you factor in the ST's who didn't turn up.

I seem to recall JS saying something like the break-even point, last year, was going to be in the region of 6,500, so he should be happy on that figure of 7,412.

To me, they are doing a good job at BP considering the state it was in when they inherited from the previous regime. It's far from perfect but a total rebuild will be out of the question for financial reasons, however, they are doing it 'piecemeal'. I look forward to seeing what is going to happen to the main stand and Omond stand next year.

UTM

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 153
chaos33
August 6, 2023, 10:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Mappers

Dean ' have the increased attendances made you think about a new stadium in the future ?'

Stockwood 'Not really '

And then he went on to say about all the work that needs doing at bp  , next summer there will be major works on The Main and Osmond . He also said there is lot's more to do and the possibility of filling in the corners at BP if we filll it regularly.No real progress with the training ground.

I think we probably are staying at BP at least in the medium term , and will be ploughing a lot of money into it - hopefully a new PA system and disabled facilities is quite high on their 'list'.

Right well that’s different to ‘clearly never’ isn’t it. Seems that they see our foreseeable future at BP, but I think everybody can agree that a new stadium would be hugely beneficial and probably required in the medium to long term.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 153
Heisenberg
August 6, 2023, 10:47am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,047
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Humbercod

They’ve not even delivered a new training ground they said we would have, so no chance of seeing a new ground in many of our lifetimes.

You can Red Cross this guy all you want, but his frustration is probably justified.

Some clarity from the owners would be a good start, but I don’t think we’d like the true answer - “we priced up the new training ground and it’d be £7m of dead money we’ll never see back, and the only way we’ll get a ground is if someone else pays for it, because we haven’t got £50m and a loan of such an amount would make the club go bust”. I think that’s about the sum of it. It pains me to say, but we missed the boat with a new stadium, and it wasn’t Jason or Andrew’s fault as they came in too late, I’ll give them that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 153
moosey_club
August 6, 2023, 11:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,252
Gold Stars: 226
Regards the training ground, I believe that the preferred site is identified but is tied up with wider council issues and also possibly Sport England or some government initiative on green spaces and funding.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 153
GollyGTFC
August 6, 2023, 12:21pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Mappers
Herve you would not be happy if you heard the Stockwood interview ?

No interest in capacity increase atm ,saying we are only getting 6k fans so it's not required .

When I was born Grantham had a cinema with 1 screen that was built in the late 70s. They added a second screen in the late 1980s. The seats were horrible in both and it wasn't a pleasant experience to go there. We used to go to Showcase in either Nottingham or Peterborough (both around 40 minutes drive) every time we went to the cinema.

About 5 years ago the cinema was bulldozed and a 5 screen cinema was built over the site and a small adjacent council staff car park. The seats are much comfier and the experience much nice than the previous cinema.

As a result more people go to Grantham Cinema than used to go.

Build it and they will come.

I can't imagine for one minute that Stockwood with his successful career doesn't fully understand that.

If the facilities at our home ground were better (seats, no posts, nicer toilets, better catering, more spacious concourse area, better PA system etc...) then more people will come.

There are very few decent view seats left in BP for the casual fan and none at all if you want more than 1 ticket..

If the experience of attending Grimsby Town home matches was better then the attendances would rise. You only have to look at the attendance boosts that clubs who have moved from grotty old dumps to new stadiums have gained.

I appreciate JS & AP have a policy of not talking about things until they reach the point where they will become public (i.e.planning permission stage), but that policy shouldn't extend to telling blatant lies and making out BP is big enough because it was cater for all the fans that want to attend a home match against someone like Morecambe.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 25 - 153
Mappers
August 6, 2023, 1:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from GollyGTFC

When I was born Grantham had a cinema with 1 screen that was built in the late 70s. They added a second screen in the late 1980s. The seats were horrible in both and it wasn't a pleasant experience to go there. We used to go to Showcase in either Nottingham or Peterborough (both around 40 minutes drive) every time we went to the cinema.

About 5 years ago the cinema was bulldozed and a 5 screen cinema was built over the site and a small adjacent council staff car park. The seats are much comfier and the experience much nice than the previous cinema.

As a result more people go to Grantham Cinema than used to go.

Build it and they will come.

I can't imagine for one minute that Stockwood with his successful career doesn't fully understand that.

If the facilities at our home ground were better (seats, no posts, nicer toilets, better catering, more spacious concourse area, better PA system etc...) then more people will come.

There are very few decent view seats left in BP for the casual fan and none at all if you want more than 1 ticket..

If the experience of attending Grimsby Town home matches was better then the attendances would rise. You only have to look at the attendance boosts that clubs who have moved from grotty old dumps to new stadiums have gained.

I appreciate JS & AP have a policy of not talking about things until they reach the point where they will become public (i.e.planning permission stage), but that policy shouldn't extend to telling blatant lies and making out BP is big enough because it was cater for all the fans that want to attend a home match against someone like Morecambe.

Agree Golly with all.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 153
mimma
August 6, 2023, 3:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
I use to use a similar analogy with the cinema down freemo. People use to travel to dull or scunny rather than freemo.
Then they built a new cinema down meggies and then they stopped travelling to use it.
New up to date facilities will attract more fans, but how many is debatable, not to mention the cost of relocating.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 153
The Caterham Mariner
August 6, 2023, 3:40pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +80
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Mappers

Agree Golly with all.

"Build it and they will come"  I like that phrase .
We are all in agreement the club is in a better place, well clear of "Fentygate" era .
When Where and how much is now in the hands of 1878 the future of the club.
We wait and see .
I fear patience is the key on this one plus any other issues that niggles your average fan.
At my age in life what happens to the old girl BP, memories last forever.
UTM2023--24

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 153
MuddyWaters
August 6, 2023, 3:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from grimsby pete
I think knocking the police box down and extending the main stand round to the pontoon is the first thing to do.

The other corners can be done later but if we have a successful season the call for extending the main stand will only get louder and louder.

This is not a moan at Jason or Andrew I think they are doing all they can but there is so many other things they have to do because of the previous owner's neglect.

All things that need doing at the park will be done its just going to take time and a lot of money.

We have a great set of owners and board now all working for one goal a better environment for all and most importantly a listening ear for all fans.

Onwards and upwards together.

Any money spent isn’t going to make BP that much better Pete. People in power have talked so much about how the area needs to be improved, surely a multi purpose, community facility funded partly by the club in conjunction with various levelling up funds and on disused land would encourage more people to watch GTFC. Most away fans sing  ‘Grimsby’ a shithole’ and they’re not wrong.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 153
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Todays attendance

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.