Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just back

This thread currently has 11,828 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
August 6, 2023, 9:03pm
Guest User
Quoted from mimma

No you can't,  but we certainly argue with Conteh's yellow. He won the ball and got carded for it.

I agree. Which is why I didn’t mention Conteh.
Reply: 90 - 104
aldi_01
August 6, 2023, 9:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
PA is excrement. Not enough seats. People left without tickets. Empty seats, attendance of 7500 but told it was sellout.

That’s what we do now isn’t it? Moan about these things?

As for the match, not really much to talk about. We look solid defensively as expected and Rodger won everything. Penalty was the right decision but was a woeful penalty.

Felt we could’ve got the win and their keeper pulled off three saves he had to make.

Conteh will get better and Eisa impressed me, thought Vernam was pretty anonymous apart from a run first half and I think that impacted Glennons game (bloke near me has found his new boo boy, Smith previously, Glennon this year). Green came on, got booked. We all laughed and we all wanted him to flatten Pell but I’d like to think we’re better than that. Can’t see Green being anything other than a sub to tighten things up.

Hunt did well, and considering it was a completely new starting 11 in so much they’ve never played a league game before, we looked to have a system and it will click, some fans just need some patience.

First game of the season often tells you very little anyway.

Onwards to the next game…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 104
diehardmariner
August 7, 2023, 11:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
The XI was as most of us suspected, just the actual way they lined up perhaps less so.

I like to think that we've got enough in the team now to really go and teams and make them worry about us.  Clifton wide and Hunt sitting deep alongside Conteh feels more about us worrying than the other way round.  

It's first game and I think Hurst might have factored in the unknown element and obvious fatigue late-on, but I do think we could have been a bit braver with Eisa wide and Hunt further up alongside Clifton.  

That said though, the attacking options we've got are exciting and on most days I do fancy at least one of Vernam, Eisa, Mullarkey or Glennon to find their man/the goal from when we overload teams.  Saturday was just one of those days were none of them hit the spot.  We'll also have better options off the bench than two guys with only 15 minutes in their tanks.

We need to enjoy both Conteh and Mullarkey whilst we can because neither will be with us too long, unfortunately.  Both look levels above and it's kudos to the club for attracting them.
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 104
Poojah
August 7, 2023, 11:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,595
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from diehardmariner
We need to enjoy both Conteh and Mullarkey whilst we can because neither will be with us too long, unfortunately.  Both look levels above and it's kudos to the club for attracting them.

Agree with this, which kind of begs the question; what on earth has Toby Mullarkey been doing slumming it down in non-league until the age of 27? From what I’ve seen he looks every bit a top-end League Two full-back.

Late developer?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 104
It Bites
August 7, 2023, 12:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,217
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from aldi_01
PA is excrement. Not enough seats. People left without tickets. Empty seats, attendance of 7500 but told it was sellout.

That’s what we do now isn’t it? Moan about these things?

As for the match, not really much to talk about. We look solid defensively as expected and Rodger won everything. Penalty was the right decision but was a woeful penalty.

Felt we could’ve got the win and their keeper pulled off three saves he had to make.

Conteh will get better and Eisa impressed me, thought Vernam was pretty anonymous apart from a run first half and I think that impacted Glennons game (bloke near me has found his new boo boy, Smith previously, Glennon this year). Green came on, got booked. We all laughed and we all wanted him to flatten Pell but I’d like to think we’re better than that. Can’t see Green being anything other than a sub to tighten things up.

Hunt did well, and considering it was a completely new starting 11 in so much they’ve never played a league game before, we looked to have a system and it will click, some fans just need some patience.

First game of the season often tells you very little anyway.

Onwards to the next game…

Shall we just have a forum that discusses everything that suits you ? A bit like the Scunny Fans Facebook page . You could run it , I’m sure mr sherbet has plenty of advice .  
Joking apart , this is a forum to chat about stuff .
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 104
TownSNAFU5
August 7, 2023, 12:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Conteh tackle hardly a foul.  Not a yellow.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 104
TownSNAFU5
August 7, 2023, 12:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Conteh tackle hardly a foul.  Not a yellow.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 104
Madeleymariner
August 7, 2023, 12:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,059
Gold Stars: 50
Reminded me so much of last season, better passing/movement probably but totally toothless in the final 3rd. We have an improved squad but still can't see us scoring 2 goals very often. Rarely more than a couple of players in the box from open play and not picked out by crosses. Also still a bit lightweight, lots of players knocked/nudged off the ball easily. Conteh looks superb, Rose won more headers in the game than Taylor did all last season, but some of his dives were theatrical. Decent point but we need to be far better if we want to make the playoffs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 104
diehardmariner
August 7, 2023, 12:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Agree with this, which kind of begs the question; what on earth has Toby Mullarkey been doing slumming it down in non-league until the age of 27? From what I’ve seen he looks every bit a top-end League Two full-back.

Late developer?

Didn't realise he was that 'old'.

Found this - https://altrinchamfc.com/blogs.....all-i-ve-ever-wanted - in which he perhaps hints a bit about not making the step-up into the mens game as quickly as he anticipated, few injuries that halted his progress too.

At absolute face-value he's a big, strong unit who's mobile too.  That ticks a lot of boxes for lower league teams, that he's not too shabby with the ball at his face just makes his late progress that much more of a puzzle.
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 104
diehardmariner
August 7, 2023, 12:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Different position, but John Cockerill was 29 when we signed him from Stafford Rangers...
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.