11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
August 5, 2023, 6:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
I thought Wimbledon were a difficult team to play against. Their midfield two were totally solid and I lost count of the number of times they cut out passes, eased players off the ball or won tackles.

It looked like their seriously rapid No. 10 was going to win it for them, but luckily a poor penalty and decent save showed why he'd started on the bench and he didn't do much after that.

Rose was knackered after an hour so the lack of a one for one replacement limited us. I think we were forced to knock it long more than was ideal by their press, but hopefully we can improve as the players get used to each other more.

Some decent performances from all the new signings without anybody really standing out too much.

For me, Hunt still needs a lot of improvement if he's going to fulfil his potential. He has to look after the ball better as he lost possession sloppily too many times (though both teams were very hit and miss in this regard).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 104
IlkleyMariner
August 5, 2023, 6:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Think we are somewhat behind Southampton since last year. Last night their pass completion and possession in the first half v The Owls of Sheffield were incredible. Think a record for Championship.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 104
HerveJosse
August 5, 2023, 6:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Didn’t get Hunt Mom took to long to get his passes away and closed down . Thought Conteh was outstanding given his lack of experience and.a fantastic prospect. Overall similar issues to last year suspect will do well away struggle to break teams down at home but early days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 104
jimgtfc
August 5, 2023, 6:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,091
Gold Stars: 45
Bold statement… Harvey Rodgers is the best central defender in league two.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 104
Rodley Mariner
August 5, 2023, 6:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
We'll be alright. Bit more familiarity and confidence and Wilson and Khan available then I think we have good options. Might be a few weeks before we get going but I still fancy us to have a proper go at the top 7.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 104
ginnywings
August 5, 2023, 6:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
Am I allowed to be a bit disappointed and underwhelmed by that performance?

Two solid teams playing out a goal less draw felt very much last season, and there wasn't a lot to get excited about. Didn't really get behind their defence all game, and all our efforts, as good as some of them were, came from outside the box. Thought our crossing left as lot to be desired too, with most of them flat and easy to defend.

When the biggest cheer of the day comes from the home goalie saving a pen, you know you haven't created enough in the game. I crave some entertainment.

So, I'll now temper that by saying that it was the first game of the season; Wimbledon were very organised at the back and in midfield, which kept us at arms length, and we don't really know how good or bad a side they are. Thought their No 4 was excellent in the middle.

As for Town, we are definitely improved on last season and look very solid at the back. Rodgers and Mullarkey are an upgrade, and for me Mullarkey was my MOM. He looks very good already.

Conteh is also an upgrade on last season, but once again, our struggles seem to be in forward areas. The players look better than last years crop, but the same issues were apparent today. As stated earlier, that could be down to a Wimbledon side being better than we know. Hard to tell at this stage and I don't really start forming an opinion until 10 games have passed.

Almost 7000 home fans waiting for a take off that didn't materialise, in what was a curates egg of a game. Better players, trying to get it down and play, but again we draw a blank at home. Could have been worse had the pen gone in but it was poorly executed and fitted in with the general feel of the game.

At least we didn't lose at home to Harrogate.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 104
The Yard Dog
August 5, 2023, 6:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from wuffing
Mullarkey mom today. Very busy and lots of skill on the right. Very unlucky with his piledriver as the keeper.pulled off a great save

I think it was Rodgers who had a shot from distance were the keeper pulled of a good save.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 104
AndyGTFC
August 5, 2023, 6:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
It did feel a bit same old, but I think we've got the makings of a decent side and like the signings made. Still wondering if the goalscoring is going to be our achilles heel again though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 104
louth_in_the_south
August 5, 2023, 7:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,682
Gold Stars: 96
As soon as I saw the wombles team come out for the line up I knew we were in for a difficult game . All looked about 6’2 and 14 stone . We started well but they took over and bossed things . A few good efforts from the edge of the box and good saves from their keeper.
Defence looked solid until they made the sub  second half  when he rattled us . Would love someone like El Hamadi up front.
We got ourselves together after the penalty miss and the draw was probably the fair result.
A point in the first game is ok and we should look back at this game against a decent team as a decent start .
Mom conteh who looks a class above. Always found a pass in tight situations and never bullied by a hard midfield opposition.
WTF was Rose doing all game throwing himself to the ground? Really poor and no surprise the ref wasn’t giving him anything. He needs to sort that out quickly. We actually looked better when he moved wide and a more physical player came on in the middle.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 104
golfer
August 5, 2023, 7:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,437
Gold Stars: 116
A good performance but still lacking that killer punch up front. Surprized that Rose wins so many headers. I just wish he would stop diving. He could have had a lot more free kicks where he was genuinely fouled but the referee was hesitant to give them because he was aware of Rose's actions.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.