headingly_mariner
August 7, 2023, 12:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,379
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Poojah

Agree with this, which kind of begs the question; what on earth has Toby Mullarkey been doing slumming it down in non-league until the age of 27? From what I’ve seen he looks every bit a top-end League Two full-back.

Late developer?

Do you not think we are getting a little carried away after 1 game?

Mullarkey looks decent and Conteh had a good game. Everybody seems to think we will struggle to keep hold of them. I think they will do well but I'd be surprised if by January people are still so excited by those 2.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 104
mariner91
August 7, 2023, 12:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,661
Gold Stars: 262
You'd think in Clifton we have the ideal L2 central midfielder for making late bursts into the box to try and get on to the end of it. In fact, Harry's movement and timing of his runs are probably the main thing he's improved on in the last two years to take him to the next level. I would also fancy Hunt to at least hit the target if he was around the edge of the box looking for any deflections or knock downs. I think the ingredients are there for a good team, just got to get the blend and application right but I'm sure we will.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 104
HerveJosse
August 7, 2023, 12:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Poojah

Agree with this, which kind of begs the question; what on earth has Toby Mullarkey been doing slumming it down in non-league until the age of 27? From what I’ve seen he looks every bit a top-end League Two full-back.

Late developer?

Didn’t even make the National League until age 26 so certainly an excellent spot given we were apparently trying to sign him in January
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 104
arryarryarry
August 7, 2023, 1:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from diehardmariner
The XI was as most of us suspected, just the actual way they lined up perhaps less so.

I like to think that we've got enough in the team now to really go and teams and make them worry about us.  Clifton wide and Hunt sitting deep alongside Conteh feels more about us worrying than the other way round.  

It's first game and I think Hurst might have factored in the unknown element and obvious fatigue late-on, but I do think we could have been a bit braver with Eisa wide and Hunt further up alongside Clifton.  

That said though, the attacking options we've got are exciting and on most days I do fancy at least one of Vernam, Eisa, Mullarkey or Glennon to find their man/the goal from when we overload teams.  Saturday was just one of those days were none of them hit the spot.  We'll also have better options off the bench than two guys with only 15 minutes in their tanks.

We need to enjoy both Conteh and Mullarkey whilst we can because neither will be with us too long, unfortunately.  Both look levels above and it's kudos to the club for attracting them.

Not sure yet I agree that our attacking options are exciting, I thought we looked ineffective in the penalty area.
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 104
Maringer
August 7, 2023, 2:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,553
Gold Stars: 185
Our crossing and passing into the box was pretty dire on the day. Their right-back alone managed many more decent crosses than all of our team put together.

Hopefully, it was just an off-day and we can put some better balls into the box in most games.

It looked as though the partnerships weren't really there yet. The links between defence and midfield were a bit hit and miss - not many overlaps, not anticipating runs - that sort of thing. Early in the season so hopefully they will gel better the more they train and play together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.