toontown
August 6, 2023, 12:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Heisenberg
I have to ask, please somebody remind me of the hatred some (lots!) have for Harry Pell? I cannot remember where it stems from. I seem to remember he came in loan for a bit, and was on the losing side against us in the playoff semi for Eastleigh, but other than that my memory is hazy about the need for all this booing……

Didn't he do a sneaky little stamp on macca once?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 104
Poojah
August 6, 2023, 12:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,550
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from toontown

Didn't he do a sneaky little stamp on macca once?

That was Danny Wright.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 104
toontown
August 6, 2023, 12:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Agreed. Looked to me like we didn’t get close enough to Rose to support him. Vernam and Eisa tended to be too wide and we didn’t make enough runs from midfield.

That's been a perennial problem with 3 up front under Hurst, never seen us make it work consistently as we don't get close enough to the central attacking player. I suppose the 3 behind the 1 up front is supposed to resolve that, so hopefully we can improve.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 104
acko338
August 6, 2023, 12:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,223
Gold Stars: 33
A big thing today was a disappointing day for Harry. Not on his game today for once.

Conteh - I really concentrated on him after his first pass and tackle, and thought that over 90 minutes, he only played one bad pass all game, and then chased down his mistake.

Rodgers and Mullarkay - both good signings with confidence and good understanding with Mayer.

Glennon seems to flatter again - some good play, followed by slow control and bad passing and crosses.

Hunt needs players to be available quicker, or be prepared to play easy passes lie Conteh achieved, keep the ball and go again when a better opportunity arises.

That is why Conteh shone, no out and out brilliance, but excellently steady and safe.

I keep harping on about George Lloyd, but he was the missing part today.

Rose wins headers (not sure how, but he does !)  Lloyd (not in their 18 today) would have been an obvious foil for getting the many knockdowns and his running / hustling game would help Rose to get more space to avoid some of the bullying he suffered today.

The ref had his number early doors so there wouldn't be any free kicks our way, but then he let their players shove our guys in other areas, and when our defenders pushed back, he seemed to spot every one.

Overall, a fair one point game that could easily have gone either way. Their sub up front certainly woke up our defenders with his blistering pace.

Let's hope injuries soon get better and we see the 11 that Hurst wants to play.

Great 1st home crowd - need to see some clinical finishing after more accurate crossing, though.

Certainly not a Leyton Orient opener !!

Good platform to work from with quality new signings in place.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 104
DB
August 6, 2023, 1:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from acko338
A big thing today was a disappointing day for Harry. Not on his game today for once.

Conteh - I really concentrated on him after his first pass and tackle, and thought that over 90 minutes, he only played one bad pass all game, and then chased down his mistake.

Rodgers and Mullarkay - both good signings with confidence and good understanding with Mayer.

Glennon seems to flatter again - some good play, followed by slow control and bad passing and crosses.

Hunt needs players to be available quicker, or be prepared to play easy passes lie Conteh achieved, keep the ball and go again when a better opportunity arises.

That is why Conteh shone, no out and out brilliance, but excellently steady and safe.

I keep harping on about George Lloyd, but he was the missing part today.

Rose wins headers (not sure how, but he does !)  Lloyd (not in their 18 today) would have been an obvious foil for getting the many knockdowns and his running / hustling game would help Rose to get more space to avoid some of the bullying he suffered today.

The ref had his number early doors so there wouldn't be any free kicks our way, but then he let their players shove our guys in other areas, and when our defenders pushed back, he seemed to spot every one.

Overall, a fair one point game that could easily have gone either way. Their sub up front certainly woke up our defenders with his blistering pace.

Let's hope injuries soon get better and we see the 11 that Hurst wants to play.

Great 1st home crowd - need to see some clinical finishing after more accurate crossing, though.

Certainly not a Leyton Orient opener !!

Good platform to work from with quality new signings in place.

I noticed that with the ref. He seemed to be card happy, 4 yellows for us ( don't know why really ) and 2 for them. Typical of most refs that come to BP.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 104
Mappers
August 6, 2023, 1:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,323
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from toontown

That's been a perennial problem with 3 up front under Hurst, never seen us make it work consistently as we don't get close enough to the central attacking player. I suppose the 3 behind the 1 up front is supposed to resolve that, so hopefully we can improve.

If we are going to continue with the 4-3-3 formation , I would suggest Hurst re-watches Conteh at Gateshead - breaking the lines , getting beyond the striker as the right of a 3 man midfield . Looks as though he want's him and Hunt to sit and dictate games if yesterday is anything to go by though .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 104
Nutsy
August 6, 2023, 1:49pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +139
Gold Stars: 5
Rodgers and Maher are the best pairing I’ve seen in years, very excited to see that pairing develop.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 104
Caveman
August 6, 2023, 2:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Mullarkey is a huge improvement on Efetee IMO.

I like Hunt, think he's going to be a big player for us.

I now understand the Conteh hype. His football brain is incredible, he See's things before it happens. Hes always looking around before getting the ball and knows what to do.

Without hyping him too much, he could play League 1 already, and I think we might have to enjoy him this year, as I can see big offers coming in the summer, but they would need to be very big for us to let him go.

I don't really see Hunt becoming a big player for us.

I do believe and hope he can become a very good player in time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 104
Northbank Mariner
August 6, 2023, 2:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,458
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Grimal

there you go ,I've corrected you quietly pal .

Always one pedant!..🤣🤣
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 104
tashee69
August 6, 2023, 3:02pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +958
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from DB

I noticed that with the ref. He seemed to be card happy, 4 yellows for us ( don't know why really ) and 2 for them. Typical of most refs that come to BP.

Ref didn’t give any cards first half. Of ours, Clifton for the pen, Green for the late barge, and Pyke for the late tackle were all bookings. He seemed to point round the pitch for Conteh. Theirs were for 2 late fouls and kicking the ball away. Refs are supposed to be clamping down on time wasting and any form of dissent. There’s going to be a lot of suspensions this year if it’s kept up.
Listening to Humberside on the way back and it appears any manager getting sent off is now not allowed to do an interview after the game. Ridiculous!!!

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.