11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
August 6, 2023, 3:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Left it a while before commenting as couldnt help feeling a bit disappointed at the final whistle. Post match spoke to a few of their fans out and about in Meggies and they all seemed over the moon with a point and clean sheet which reinforced my disapointment.
Not sure from what I have seen to date with the friendlies and first game that us shape and the system that has been used is going to reap the quantity of goals we want and likely need.
Decent additions around the team certainly and technically good but like many other posters no particular goal threat from our play. I think we only really cut them apart once in the game ,first half  down the left with Glennons cross just too high for Rose. Other than that ..3 efforts from range that worked the keeper. Not alot on the balance of play.
Would have liked to have seen a change in approach the longer the game went on to give their back line something to think about as just having Rose to deal with was fairly comfortable for them.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 104
lew chaterleys lover
August 6, 2023, 4:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Gold Stars: 237
On reflection I am more disappointed than I was in real time, as it were.

Where ARE the goals going to come from? We haven't signed prolific strikers and seem to be banking on sharing the goals out, but apart from the odd long range effort there was no evidence of that either.

We have got good technical players and the defence looks very good, but I think we might struggle to score goals, especially at home.

It will be interesting to see if this team performs better away from home once we settle in to the season but it will be frustrating if we have spent to get better players but still don't score enough.
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 104
August 6, 2023, 5:08pm
Guest User
Can’t argue with Green’s yellow card to be honest…  
Reply: 82 - 104
MuddyWaters
August 6, 2023, 5:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,263
Gold Stars: 236
On reflection I am more disappointed than I was in real time, as it were.

Where ARE the goals going to come from? We haven't signed prolific strikers and seem to be banking on sharing the goals out, but apart from the odd long range effort there was no evidence of that either.

We have got good technical players and the defence looks very good, but I think we might struggle to score goals, especially at home.

It will be interesting to see if this team performs better away from home once we settle in to the season but it will be frustrating if we have spent to get better players but still don't score enough.

I think we’ve all got to remember that yesterday’s eleven represented a pretty significant rebuild with a view to us having more firepower all over the pitch. Whilst we didn’t get the result we wanted, most saw positive intent to play a better brand of football.

Let’s see what the next few weeks bring and I’m sure it will be tweaked if necessary.
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 104
fishcake63
August 6, 2023, 5:18pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Said to mates after game in post we will struggle to win games altho think will be harder to beat , i reckon wont beat top 11 hope am wrong
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 104
mariner91
August 6, 2023, 5:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Remember we had Khan and Wilson out yesterday. With Gnahoua lacking in match sharpness and Pyke only just back from injury. It's also a very newish forward line and midfield with only two of the starting six yesterday being here last year. I agree that we may struggle with firepower a bit as it stands but things should improve as they gel a bit and we at least have some players with technical ability and it's an improvement on last season. Add that to improvements at the back and hopefully we will be competitive at the very least.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 104
mimma
August 6, 2023, 5:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from 140381
Can’t argue with Green’s yellow card to be honest…  

No you can't,  but we certainly argue with Conteh's yellow. He won the ball and got carded for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 104
Kris2
August 6, 2023, 6:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Heisenberg
I have to ask, please somebody remind me of the hatred some (lots!) have for Harry Pell? I cannot remember where it stems from. I seem to remember he came in loan for a bit, and was on the losing side against us in the playoff semi for Eastleigh, but other than that my memory is hazy about the need for all this booing……

He was unremarkable on loan to the point I can't even remember him in any game but the hatred started later than that. He's just a bit of a twit who likes to wind the crowd up and behaves as such during games. This was the most quiet I've seen him in years tbh, he didn't do too much in the game to warrant his reputation but in the past he's a massive cheat and wind-up merchant. Is gigantor but goes down like a sack of spuds anytime somebody comes near him. A couple of incidents against us I can actually recall is charging toward Macca on a pass back and shouting as he's about to kick the ball and I'm sure I recall him scoring against us and celebrating in front of the fans like he'd just scored the winning goal in the FA Cup final.
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 104
Maringer
August 6, 2023, 7:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
Wilson to come back from injury as well, don't forget. I suspect he's a sort of a plan B player there for when it isn't working for Rose. Reportedly quite quick and strong in possession, even if he's not the biggest guy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 104
TownSNAFU5
August 6, 2023, 8:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
I thought our passing looked better than last season. When the new players settle in this should improve further

With long range shooting we could have won. Or lost with the penalty.

Hunt was playing with new players - and Clifton off form. Some of the criticism seems harsh.  In the second half he had the ball and there was no movement ahead of him. Everyone was marked.  He opened his hands communicating that a pass was not on and that he was frustrated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 104
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.